At what point did Millenials decide that outdated garbage formats should be revived

MP3 players and other digital audio devices were invented for a good reason and it wasn't because cassettes and vinyl were decent technologies, as anyone who grew up using them would tell you. Seriously, what next? Throw away our USB sticks and save everything on a floppy disk?

Attached: download.jpg (1439x709, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fortune.com/2014/09/18/japan-cd-sales/
ondioline.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>outdated garbage formats
like mp3?

people like to collect stuff

You realize tape still has a good , useful, irreplaceable purpose in the modern world right

cassettes are reliable physical storage m8

It's used for archive purposes but the audio cassette always sucked and the players and tapes were expensive to manufacture. People only tolerated it because it was the only rewritable audio media in the 80s-90s.

If new hardware for old formats gets manufactured, it's worth it.

Cassettes sucked, but there is something about vinyl...

Oh yeah? Then why do I only own cassettes?

I looked at that article about National Audio reviving their cassette manufacturing and it said they hadn't made any new cassettes since the early 80s. But the peak of cassettes as a media was in the late 80s into the 90s. The demand for them didn't drop off until the mid-90s onward.

Because you're fucking autistic and mentally challenged. Why the fuck wouldn't you use a more convenient format like mp3 or ,if you want physicality, audio CDs/DVDs which are objectively better in every single way?

>implying solid state isn't better
Go ahead. Leave an mp3 player and a cassette tape on the dash of a hot car in the sun with the windows up for a day and see which one sounds best at the end of the day.

They got out-competed by Japanese cassettes and quit early on. They decided to revive their manufacturing because China is the only source of new audio cassettes nowadays and their quality sucks.

This is only true of high quality record pressings played on high quality record players. Shit pressings on trash record players sound like ass. Hell even if a record and player are are high quality if there is a shitty needle or stereo audio it still sounds like ass.

I don't think the MP3 player would appreciate sitting in the hot sun any more than the cassette would.

>not wanting music to sound like you're listening to it while underwater is autistic
enjoy your mp3 bruh

>Throw away our USB sticks and save everything on a floppy disk?
Doubt it. Only /vr/ would benefit from reviving floppy disks and even then, there exist modernized storage options for retro PCs like the 1541 Ultimate.

Because you are a limp wristed basedbean ingesting coolie faggot with shitty hearing that cares more about aesthetics then actual quality audio because you can't tell the difference anyway.

You haven't got a clue wtf you are talking about. Say something else retarded. We could all use a laugh.

It's funny because National Audio had to have this one old dude in his 60s manage the entire thing since Millenial-aged employees didn't know how to manufacture cassettes and he had to teach them this lost art.

>Implying I can't convert high-quality 320kbps mp3 rips to flac
>Implying I'm not using flac right now.

Sorry but that was your fault you baby boomer fucks.

#MCGA (Make Cassettes Great Again)

>implying its the Baby Boomers fault Millenials and Gen Z are retards
I was argue against this but yah you're right.

Well my dad is in his 60s and he definitely doesn't want vinyl, shit cassettes, floppy disks, and CRTs back. He lived through that era and knows how shitty all of those technologies are and he's thankful you don't have to use them anymore.

So like OP said, there's a lot of very stupid Millenial hipsters that...

Holy projection, batman.

CRTs are the only of those technologies that would be worth reviving and unfortunately it's also the most expensive and least practical of them.

less about the medium and more about pressings, mastering decisions, and the state of the original master tape. most digital remasters just frankly suck ass

Wasn't the excuse because people got tired of brickwalled albums?

Brickwalling is a part of the mastering process, it doesn't have to do with the media used. But brickwalling was mostly a 90s-2000s thing and recent music has toned it down.

If people want to have some fun with there music why not let them? Is having fun with something a crime nowadays? It's not like there stopping you from your digital copies.

>People prefer a feeling of tactile ownership over their belongings in an age where the very concept of 'ownership' is being degraded by digital distribution and streaming services
What a shocker.

In Japan they still buy most music on CDs because they love the idea of physical media.

Op is too new to know this shit taste existed before millennials has purchasing power. They grew up in the marketing hype but that isn't their fault.

fortune.com/2014/09/18/japan-cd-sales/

I still make a point of purchasing films I like and most games on physical media where I can for similar reasons. It's the same reason a lot of avid readers will take a shelf of a hundred books over a thousand on their Kindle.

>CRTs are the only of those technologies that would be worth reviving
Why?

No, there actually isn't.
It's inferior as format in every way to CD.
HOWEVER, since the loudness wars started CDs has been brickwalled so bad it hurts, but due to the lower DR and the high possibility of having needle physically skip on brickwalled masterings, Vinyl has actually has good mixes done.

If you can get a properly mastered CD, it will always be superior to Vinyl.
If you're listening to big label music produced since 2000, you're probably going to have better DR on a Vinyl, just because of loudness war bullshit.

Sounds like an angry clickbait article by some blogger. I've read about Japan's continued physical music popularity and a lot of it is cultural and not just the lazy "Oh well Japan is full of old people who don't use streaming" like this guy claims.

Japan also doesn't really have an issue with the loudness wars, since part of the allure of it for record companies is taboo in Japan (Trains and the people on them are silent and people are expected to stay that way, compared to say New York where the subway is full of people blasting their 'choonz' and generally being loud and obnoxious - a perfect place for brickwalled recordings to overpower all the other sound)

Cassette tapes have always been shit, but Reel to Reels are still useful (albeit impractical) in music production. At least until the day when there is a literal 1:1 digital tape compression and echo.

They look better.

They said some popular musicians love cassettes but everyone mentioned was a Gen Xer-aged artist like Eminem or Trent Reznor who grew up in the 80s, so I can dismiss that out of hand.

Motion quality. Sample and hold blur really, really sucks.

>Cassette tapes have always been shit
I honestly don't get why people say this, as someone who has always grew up with digital audio mainly from CDs I find cassettes to be rather inoffensive sounding. To the hardened audiophile yes tapes are junk but I picked up a $6 90s era Sony deck from goodwill and with a non-degraded pre-recorded tape I had no qualms with the quality. If you're actually listening and enjoying to the music you forget the fact your listening to cassette

Because mp3s are intangible and these old physical formats get romanticized by the older generations who like wax nostalgic about things like "mix tapes" and "warm sound."

Vinyl is also not very good at capturing certain kinds of electronic music. It is after all a format designed in the 1950s. Stockhausen's earliest experiments with electronic music were in 1954 and commercial synthesizers didn't appear for another decade.

Huge fire hazard

>Because mp3s are intangible and these old physical formats get romanticized by the older generations who like wax nostalgic about things like "mix tapes" and "warm sound."

Uh...dude, it's not baby boomers who are behind this, it's 25 year old hipsters who think tapes are le kewl dank retro aesthetic.

There are certain ultra-high end production tape decks that deliver really amazing audio quality.

If you're one of those "muh vinyl" analogue fags and want to do some music recording, a reel-to-reel tape deck is the way to go.

>commercial synthesizers didn't appear for another decade
The Ondioline would like to have a word with you. Invented in 1941 with a recorded album in 1951
ondioline.com

There's just something cool about cartridge format

To clarify, the reason they were shit is because they degrade quickly with repeat listens. I still used them up until a few years ago, because my car had a broken CD player and the aux tape decks I bought would always die in a month or two. The quality is bearable, not great, but it would all go to shit in a month or two of listening in the car every day.

I know some oldies that swear by record players. Could it be stupidity crosses generational barriers?!

Attached: dough.jpg (541x583, 50K)

>To clarify, the reason they were shit is because they degrade quickly with repeat listens

Like someone else said, until recently the only new cassettes you could still buy were Chinese brands which are lousy quality and nothing like a Sony or Maxell tape from the 80s. So your perspective is a little skewed there.

>Thinking hipsters = millennials
Fucking boomers. Anyways, most people just stream. I only listen to Eurobeat FLACs.

When I was buying cassette tapes for my car I found some old 80's tapes that were literally still in the shrinkwrap. Same shit happened to those.

pls be trolling

It's like people who said floppy disks are unreliable hunks of shit after basing this opinion on Chinese 1.44MB disks when the things used to in the 80s be perfectly reliable and trusted by millions of people to store valuable data.

Boomers are old as fuck, dude. They're not the guys driving trends now.

That guy's underage.

You made no effort to actually read what I said. Instead you saw the word boomer and had a knee jerk reaction of text diarrhea. Let me make it more clear: The baby boomers that run the media think that hipsters = millennials. They conveniently pick what things they want to believe to push their agenda, hence why they say they are poor yet also simultaneously eating expensive avocado toast.

Based on what? You probably didn't even read my post either. Fucking dumb brainlets.

Attached: 1512283789641.png (645x729, 36K)

This is your brain on marijuana, people.

suffering can be fun when it's optional

When I got an old car with an old stereo that only takes cassette tapes.

>post makes no sense
Wtf are even talking about? I called it like it is. What is the problem here.

I could see this argument being made for cassettes the sound you get from them is unique enough that it warrants keeping them around until it can be reliably reproduced in software. But if they're looking for a reliable storage medium or uncompressed sound they could have just bought some CD's.

They are a godsend for twitch gaming and actually getting a decent image out of old A/V equipment.

>big rock company say rock 1 outdated
>say grug should buy rock 2
>if rock company say rock 1 is bad they must know that they talking about, not try to deceive grug

It's called history and history shouldn't be forgotten just because it's outdated
Might as well forgive jews for all the shit they've done then

All those FPSes would benefit from being able to use a light gun. Just Saiyan.

you're wrong. people LIKED tapes because they were PORTABLE

I see nobody here has owned a hi-fi tape deck and had to deal with its millions of rubber parts that fall apart from dry rot.

Mp3 was never a good technology. Replacing frequencies with a white noise generator killed the industry

Tape was never good. The sound of metal scraping against a magnet is as bad as lossy digital formats. That and masters would have to be baked in an oven to try and salvage it if they were stored long time

They're indeed retarded.
If they did a pushback against the loudness war crap, they would get the best sound, but they didn't.

>audio cassette always sucked
Sure if you used the cheapest variety in the lowest quality (long play) mode.

Even with lossless formats it's difficult to get quality as good as a good analog master. That's because while it's lossless in digital terms, it's still lossy when you convert it from analog to digital.

you're actually retarded if you think any consumer analog format regardless of quality comes close to CD/lossless digital

Personally, there's just something strangely alluring about music being something tactile and significant. It's just different to thread a tape on your reel to reel or put a record on your turntable compared to scrolling through 2TBs worth of m4a's on itunes.

But that's me, I just love music enough to enjoy them on whatever format I listen to them through.

Attached: 20180509_160409.jpg (1280x720, 391K)

Vinyl also degrades with use.

The 44.1 kHz sample rate of Redbook audio was originally a compromise made to fit an arbitrarily chosen length of time into a format that should have been 48 kHz in the first place, like in SD video

It certainly does narrow the amount of time you spend listening to music.
If I didn't have music on my computer I wouldn't have music playing all the time. When you go physical putting on music actually means something. Picking an album and putting it on the player, having a presence of mind to be around to change it or manage it.

Basically it's shit.

Why cannot everyone just use opus for everything?

All physical objects degrade with use, my point was they degrade too quickly.

because its lossy

The best format is always going to be digital. The only problem is you need to constantly change your storage medium and/or convert to newer formats as time passes to ensure your data is preserved and that it is still capable of being read.

What we really need is cheap, long term, stable data storage methods that anyone can have access to. So much data is lost forever every single day. How many people have the only copy of some obscure program, unpopular video game, banned book, etc. just sitting on their hard drive without even realizing it? Mankind is constantly bleeding knowledge; it's like we're filling a huge bucket littered with tiny holes. We can fill the bucket faster than it empties, but the loss never stops.

I heard scientists are working on a way to etch data into some special type of glass with a laser and it can potentially last millions of years. A piece the size of a large coin could store 300 terabytes. All I can say is, hurry up with that stuff. I assume the main stumbling block is developing something that can read the data at a reasonable speed. Hell, even if you just scale it back a bit, for normal people, even just 1TB wafers would be fucking great; think of how much we could reduce our reliance on HDDs and tape. The entire world would be saving money on server costs and the production of HDDs.

I don't see why tapes are making a comeback when most peoples' fondest memories of tapes involved songs they recorded off the radio.
They're probably putting digital rips onto the tapes now and going "wow they sound great!" not realizing that it's all because of digital that they sound even remotely good.

>being a faggot
>hating analog

Analog got us to the moon take your bit rot garbage peddling ass somewhere else.

>what is reel to reel

>Throw away our USB sticks and save everything on a floppy disk?
Going full on U.S. nuclear silo style, love it.

digital encodes with the tape's tighter dynamic range make the tracks warmer-sounding. FM synth also sounds way different on tape than it does in a digital copy.
Blank tapes always have better coatings and substrates than prerecorded ones. Recording a digital file to tape results in superior sound quality to anything a bulk recorder could do in the '70s and '80s, and better than most audiophile-grade recordings of the time.

Cassette technology has completely matured but there are still uses for it, and the sound quality is excellent to acceptable. Bad MP3 players and cheap cell phones just sound like ass no matter what you play, but a tape can be rerecorded with a different bias or content to make the best use of its range. Now that they're ancient there's a wealth of info out there on how to make good recordings, and people have access to extremely high quality source material to record with. The tapes are getting rarer but still a common sight in thrift shops, even sealed.

A high performance deck with clean heads will last a long time and so will the tapes played in it. They don't degrade as fast as records do, a microSD's data will become unreadable before your tape becomes unlistenable.

Just download a good flac file. Done.

People are bored of the worthless intangibility that comes with modern digital music and are looking to supplement it with something novel and "real" that looks nice and maybe takes them back to a time they enjoyed. Nothing's being replaced, and now so many of the shortcomings of those old mediums that were primarily associated with frequent usage and mishandling are easily offset by modern conveniences. They can keep their favorite album on their phone and a framed vinyl copy on their wall or on a shelf for playing on special occasions, they can still go to brick-and-mortar stores and shop for music if they enjoy that experience, they can have the best of all worlds.

I don't really get why this is so difficult to understand. Is Jow Forums just full of robotic consumers that can't appreciate anything but maximum efficiency/convenience for the least cost/effort?

>That's because while it's lossless in digital terms, it's still lossy when you convert it from analog to digital.
>what is the Nyquist theorem

>The tapes are getting rarer but still a common sight in thrift shops, even sealed.
You can still get new ones but mostly all crap-tier Chinese brands.

>with something novel and "real" that looks nice and maybe takes them back to a time they enjoyed
Millenials never had vinyl. Wanting to listen to and collect vinyl as a millenial is just another hipster fad, rehashing the old bullshit to make a buck.

Collecting records will eventually revert back to the same category as stamp collection when millenials get bored and move on to tapes, then CDs etc. The cycle won't ever stop because a few rich and famous old farts will always have a hard on for a thing of the past.

It started in the late 2000s when the hipsters revived vinyl. But vinyl was too purposeful, so they found something even more worthless.

Attached: soyboy 4.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

I'm using ogg instead of opus because opus is bloat
opusfile-0.10-r1 depends on:
so:libc.musl-x86_64.so.1
so:libcrypto.so.43
so:libogg.so.0
so:libopus.so.0
so:libssl.so.45

libvorbis-1.3.6-r0 depends on:
so:libc.musl-x86_64.so.1
so:libogg.so.0

Some hobbyists produce their own homemade camera film for lack of being able to find many types anymore, for example instant film.