/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: RAREpadjpg.jpg (1600x1380, 334K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/usr/2015pcparts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

best smol thinkpad?

Attached: 1525775016975.gif (500x660, 174K)

Where do I get a T440 for under $300 in Canada?

Attached: 344350-lenovo-thinkpad-t440s.jpg (1000x743, 58K)

>flash program to work on windows
Yes, I'm having trouble compiling flashrom
>my motherboard doesn't work with linux
Yes, I get an error whenever I try to install linux off usb.

x220

Attached: 547ba51e40746c2e8fbeb865ea1aa4f3--curries-funny-pics.jpg (736x736, 46K)

>”hi user, Can I use your laptop?”
>”uhm... what is this, where’s the command key?”
>”I think I’ll just go ask chad cook to let me use his Mac, bye”

Attached: B98FB330-989A-4ADC-8C2B-C69D6C4E28C2.jpg (307x478, 28K)

weak

>3dpd roastie fucks off
and nothing of value was lost

X230

T420 or T510? I used an X230T for college but graduated recently so I want to treat myself to a new one. Never had a laptop above 12.5 inches (my X230T), how big is the difference between using a 14 inch and 15 inch screen? Seems rather minor, but hoping to hear from someone with experience with both

General rule is to never let your laptop be greater than 3x the size of your dick. You're pushing it with a 12.5" laptop as it is user.

user you have your degree now. find a job and buy the latest Macbook Pro.
you are not a poorfag anymore. you have graduated from /tpg/ as well

Attached: images.jpg (219x230, 5K)

Personally I think the T420 is about the sweet spot for a normal laptop. Enough realestate to be useful, never feels cramped doing anything but also easily thrown in a backpack.

>I want to use flashrom to coreboot my thinkpad
>I really believe that GNU+Linux doesn't support my motherboard
>it's not like I'm retarded
!!!

Attached: look at him and laugh.gif (590x333, 124K)

T510. T420's are being memed into oblivion.

this
despite being ever so slightly slower the t510 is a lot better overall
the long palmrest makes typing very enjoyable too

the heart want what it wants, I mainly just want it to test various Linux distros, and I experiment a lot with Kali unironically, the Macbook just isn't for me, and I hate using VMs
would rarely travel with it but I'll keep this in mind
what memes? been out of touch with Jow Forums recently while I finished up skewl
processor speed or hard drive speed? I'm getting an ssd for whatever I land with, curious if that addresses it

>what memes? been out of touch with Jow Forums recently while I finished up skewl
not exactly a Jow Forums meme, it's just that there's too much demand for T420's and X220s and prices have gone up.

don't worry about the hard drive speed.
but yeah the processor is a bit slower
It's not noticeable unless you're on windows

How is libreboot better than coreboot?

gotcha, I'm hoping to make 45-50k when I land a job so money isn't the biggest issue but I'm a penny-pincher heart, good looking out
will only be running linux so no issue here, thanks user

"stable"
by only supporting a few hardware devices
other than that, "no"

>libreboot
ignore that abandonware freetard shit.

Looking for a $200 rig that'll get me through the next three years of college. Are refurbished thinkpads a good option, and is eBay the best place to purchase one?

>Are refurbished thinkpads a good option
50/50
>and is eBay the best place to purchase one?
yeah. Also Craigslist.

"refurbished"
>alright rajit, look at this, do it work?
>yes
>increases price on ebay

First gen core i processors suck. So no 10 series thinkpad. Get the 420 or 520.

>tfw my bizniz laptop is completely supported by coreboot
>have to completely disassemble it to get to the bios chip
why did it have to be like this, god?

Is it safe to just buy any replacement keyboard for my T510 or do I need a genuine Lenovo part or something?

Attached: IMG_5323.jpg (736x980, 190K)

as long as it fits it should be fine
no guarantee of longevity or quality though

Attached: stf,small,600x600-c,0,0,1000,1000.u3.jpg (1000x1000, 169K)

I'm from last thread.
The slice batteries keep rebooting my laptop if I have it docked while turning it on. Both at full, and empty battery. Bios is updated to the latest version. Is this normal? Does similar happen with a standard port dock?

a genuine keyboard is like $20

if you have the FRU number just stick it into ebay, or google, and you'll find things that work

What laptop is in OPs pic?

W701ds

Examine the picture better next time.

Attached: spoonfed.png (172x85, 26K)

holy fuck how much does a w701ds cost these days and where do i get one

I've seen them go as low as 1300 usd

The i7 x230 comes with an ips, right? There is one I want to buy that has 1366x768 and ips, but the seller has only 1 review and I want to avoid gettint ripped off.

Just ordered quad core for my t440p. Will it still run on the 90w or will I need the 135/170?

T440P i7 quad core here (albeit I've placed a rare 37W TDP one tbqh)
I carry around a 65W (3.25A) charger; I can compile kernels AND recharge the battery in the meanwhile (slowly, but still it werks)
don't fall for the charger meme
90W will be just fine

I'll trust out and see how it works out. Thanks man/g/.

my t420 is one of the best purchases I ever made . Been using it for 8 months with xubuntu

I fell for the chinkpad meme but I really love my x1 yoga

Could you link one on eBay or Amazon any site that ships to the UK? I look but I can only see third party stuff even though it's got Lenovo written on?

Attached: IMG_5069.jpg (768x1024, 98K)

>current year
>using a dinosaur laptop

Attached: 1x58ccxf.vichan.jpg (696x1024, 70K)

gimme gimme

Attached: soyFace.png (644x800, 15K)

Do I buy X220 or X230 for nearly the same price?
I like the X220 design better, how worse is its performance?

sandy bridge and ivy bridge differences are negligible

I have both. Performance difference isn't noticeable. Biggest difference is my x230 has USB 3.0 and the x220 doesn't (but you could buy a card)

I'm trying to play sonic adventure 2 but the cpu fucks up on it.

Like I get tons of just autistic glitches like level switching and skipping and escape from the city is completely fucked.

It's a t430 with Intel processor 1400 I think. Can I just change the processor to an and or something? How do I do this safely?

Attached: 4526e71f4f366aac665f6cf67d9c4b92.jpg (2048x1536, 442K)

How is it so easy to convince normies they need a $2k macbook to take notes?

Stupid gamer.

bullshit. 200% faster iGPU 2133MT/s RAM support, much lower power consumption, slighly less generated heat.

If I want to remove a sticker from my T420, how badly will I fuck up the coating on the back? I have a couple that I got from Redbubble that I just can't stand looking at any more.

I don't know how well Sega Saturn emulation is, but I would presume the game would work very well due to it being from 2001. However there are some other factors that it is glitching and I believe it is totally due to software, not hardware.

Who cares. Remove it and rub your finger on that space until it almost matches the rest of the panel.

In laptops, Ivy bridge brought much better iGPU performance, about 12%+ performance boost, and better battery life.

I do know that the X220 suffered ghosting issues with the IPS display and the X230 didnt.

In addition to Ivy Bridge performance, you get dedicated USB 3.0 ports, but a miniDP instead of just DP port.

>not having a comfortable laptop to type on
Although my PixelBook gets 9 hours of battery life and has a damn nice screen; I do like going back to a T43p or my A31p for some general typing to be done :)

Attached: T22-2.jpg (1805x1148, 225K)

Whats the best laptop under 100$?

I just want it to take notes and I will repair/upgrade it when time comes.

Refurbished ThinkPads are often much more reliable and actually cleaner, but they are also much more expensive. Really depends on the price.

Utterly wrong. The X230 is hugely faster than the X220. No, the classic keyboard does not speed up anything except your HRT.

X301 or X200s

1. Sonic adventure 2 is on the dreamcast/gc/pc
2. He didn't say he was emulating
But I'll forgive you because I'm sure video games aren't an active interest of yours. I'm surprised you didn't know the system Sonic adventure 2 was on, but you knew the year it was released.

Attached: tg1cy7l.jpg (476x480, 52K)

X131e

Do any of you use the original IBM thinkpad as your daily driver ? Is that even reasonable ?

Am I retarded for wanting an x200s in [current year]? Looking to use it mainly as a machine to browse my mountain of PDFs, not for web browsing

is there a mod for the x220 to remove the trackpad?

Normies buy Apple shit for social status.

what do you guys think of the Latitude 7390 ? I got 60% off of it, should I go for it ?

Seriously buy a t series. The x200, x201 and x200s have absolutely awful screens. lowres tn panels are truly awful, especially for reading pdfs.
If you don't give a fuck about performance buy a 4:3 t60 or if you are planing to use it for >5 years buy a t420.
x200 is an awful machine and is an absolute waste of money.

Just disable it in the bios

>Can I just change the processor to an and or something?
The state of Jow Forums

I've seen a listing with that price on ebay.
In 2013.
The problem is, I can't find the damn thing on ebay today.

Go slowly and try heating it up if it doesn't want to come off nicely. Oh, and don't scrape it off with a knife.

Typical entitled, coloured hair, gender neutral, snowflake, milennial. Thinking only a 2000 dollar macbook that dies if you "use it wrong" is considered modern tech.

I rather use an old thinkpad, strip out some parts and fresh install, than a crappy 2000 dollar facebook / tumblr machine

I currently have a battery for my x220 which gives me 3+h. Can I get more than this with a new one? Maybe with an extended one?

Should I buy a refurbished X1 Carbon from ebay?

>t. basedboy

t440p for 285$ worth?

Thoughts on L470?

Should I get it or refrain?

Specs? They can go as low as $200 if it's a base model.

I'm sure all fag/g/ots already know this by now, but avoid the X1 2018 series (and possibly the entire 2018 thinkpad lineup) like the plague. The entire X1 lineup has CPU C-states 1-3 disabled in the BIOS in favor of Connected Standby. Because Windows is Windows, it starts running heavy background processes like COM Surrogate, Modules Installer and Windows Fucking Update as soon as it goes to connected standby. This then turns the fan on and runs the battery down when it's supposed to be asleep. Setting CSEnabled to 0 does not fix this. Switching to Linux does not fix this, you cannot change this behavior in the BIOS as of now, and Lenovo has stated point-blank that they have no intention of releasing a BIOS update to add the option of enabling C-states. It will require a custom BIOS made by the community.

Lenovo's $2000 flagship business laptops are literally incapable of suspending to RAM, a feature extant since the Pentium II, 'by design', because fuck you, that's why.

Attached: NewCanvas1.jpg (2560x1440, 407K)

Looking at getting a T420/430. I want the T420 for the keyboard and the memes but I also want USB 3.0 and perhaps an upgrade to an Ivy Bridge quad-core. Should I get the T430 instead?

Get a T430 and flash the EC to use the old keyboard in the T430.

tfw stole a t420 and an x220 from work, they were being demolished and people called them dinosaurs, yet these people use hp elitebook 840s (total crap)

I will be the one laughing when they have been demolished by 4 pounds of t420 ass and pussy

I have a weird issue with X41t with Arch Linux 32. Whenever I 'transform' it, i.e. close it with display turned around the hinge, tablet buttons stop working, but not entirely - showkey reacts to them, both by showing scancodes and assigned keycodes, but xev just stops recognizing them - as I close lid while holding a button, at some point xev just reports that button has ben released and stops reacting to it - and they don't do what they expected to do, i.e. pgup/pgdn, escape, return buttons, they don't do anything in this mode. dmesg and journalctl doesn't react to me transforming the device.
Buttons worked fine in Windows XP, however.
Any ideas on why this may happen? How to find a reason why does it happen?

I know I probably should ask this in Linux thread, and I'll do, but I just think that this is a device-specific issue.

I found out my x230 top lid is broken (on the top, that smooth stripe) so I'm looking on ebay a new top lid. x230 and x220 have interchangeable top lids?

i5-4300M 1366x768 guess its not worth it

If you're getting it from Chyna, get dhl or similar, free shipping on such small parts take weeks / months

I was thinking of getting one from UK, a used one for about 15€. is the cheapest I can find

Go for it, how broken is your current one, got any pics?

oh dude, i play a ton of games on my t420. But damn, son, you're making me cringe super hard.

If I install the new spectre bios updates from Lenovo, will it break anything?

T60
It's actually pretty good even though it's old as fuck

is still intact but that piece can break with ease

Attached: IMG_20180509_174802.jpg (1264x971, 206K)

UwUbuntu

Yes, my X220 currently has an X230 replacement lid. It's also cracked now right in the middle, but I'm tired of replacing it so I just deal.

Good time to replace it yeah

Is there any way for me to upgrade my t420?

I had to settle with a second-class t420 because I lost an auction on the one with nvidia graphics and i7.

I have 8gb and the intel graphics with an i5. How can I beef it up?

eBay. With patience.

I just won a T440p a few weeks ago for $280. It was a steal considering it came with the 1600x900 screen, an i7-4700MQ, an SSD and a docking station. But even so, you can easily have one (p or non-p variants) for about $350 CAD if you shop around. Really not bad considering the average T420 sells for about $50-$100 less and tends to be far less powerful and in worse condition.

What's funny about this picture is that it is now at least 3 years old, and when taken the T420 would have actually been somewhat recent.

Good cop. I actually got my first Thinkpad (a T61 which I used for undergrad) from my dad, who took a few when his office was throwing them out. This was back in 2013 and they were only about 5 years old at the time still fit for the scrap heap in the eyes of the new CIO. I picked the cleanest one in the best condition and sold the rest on Kijiji to pay for my textbooks. Overall it was pretty good, even the 1280x800 screen resolution was easier to live with than the "HD" 16:9 screens that came after.

Quad core i7 (and the dgpu heatsink), SSD (either mSATA or 2.5'), display mod.

Pls respond.

Not that guy but any recommendations on display mod?

Nothing wrong with 3rd party, look at the sale reviews and how many people were pleased with the product, last time i used this one for a US keyboard for an X220 and it came delivered fast and worked perfectly.
ebay.com/usr/2015pcparts