Picked up this JVC TD-W707 hi-fi tape deck today from a thrift store for 10 bucks, it's pretty sweet!

Picked up this JVC TD-W707 hi-fi tape deck today from a thrift store for 10 bucks, it's pretty sweet!
What outdated formats does Jow Forums still use/appreciate?

Attached: w707.jpg (2001x813, 548K)

Blu ray. While streaming / digital libraries are superior, few people (even among pirates) are putting out the full quality of a blu ray.

Pen and paper. I keep little leather-bound notebooks for workout logs, journals, brainstorming, to do lists, etc.

I never really could into the high quality meme, but blu-rays are still damn impressive when it comes to overall storage capability

I do the same, notebooks are superior to any digital writing. Helps you remember

Minidisc. I just want an old MDLP portable that also does recording.

I don't. Most outdated formats are outdated because they are inferior. Pretty much anyone who isn't some sort of Clint Basedstein isn't going to jerk off to floppy disk noises.

>Minidisc
>t. Gen X
AmIrite?

>GenX
Born in '81 so it depends on who you ask.

We never got MD in the states (or atleast not in any major capacity). Never understood why, considering the storage size, size, and fast access times. They really do seem cool. Maybe mini-BDs will see some sort of renaissance, but I really doubt it

>t. smartfag

Sony pushed hard. I remember at one point near the end the players and MDs were everywhere as retailers tried to get rid of them. I had one in high school. The sound quality of ATRAC was pretty garbage unless you set it to the high quality mode which had lower time capacity than a CD, and Soundstage was a piece of shit that often just refused to work. The device itself eventually started to fail, but I used it for as long as I could stand not being able to change tracks. I would absolutely buy another one if I could use it without the software. I have a Yamaha MD8 multitrack recorder but most Net MDs won't read raw PCM off the disc.

Very deliciously tactile technology though, pushing an MD into the player and closing the lid was like shutting the lid on a Thinkpad. You know the feel.

You only need the software if you want to directly convert MP3s to be used on your MD player. Otherwise you can just do it the old-fashioned way by connecting it to an optical cable and recording in real time.

I still vastly prefer buying my music in physical formats. CDs, records, tapes, I don't really care. I only ever use digital distribution as a last resort, and I hate streaming with a passion.

Close enough. To say minidisk was a Gen X thing is slightly inaccurate. Most Gen X used tape or CD. Minidisk was more of a cusp technology. Late Gen X / early Millenial were probably who bought into minidisk the most.

VHS, Cassette, Video8, Film

Attached: SD App.png (355x220, 8K)

said before here:
have truly autistic/aspie freind who will only use cassettes. has tons of money, but will not use anyhing other than these dual deck tape players. to play his daily 4:00pm sharp opera-of-the-day.

I'm trying to talk him in to getting a Nakamichi, so at least it's more serviceable.

There's a lot to these decks, the servicing knowledge gets tricky.

yeah I do quite a lot of writing. It's like an infinitely flexible format

Your entire house is filled with junk, isn't it?

Attached: 1519677732703.jpg (764x1024, 108K)

I use Reel To Reel machines daily.

Unironically Headphone jacks.

I started a laserdisc collection by bidding on an auction for 100+ LDs plus a player. Won it for $1 and the lady was happy as hell to get rid of them. It was fun to play them on my XBR960 trinitron because they didn't look half bad and some of the audio mixes were superior to some DVDs. There is a lot of rare and never released on DVD media on them, especially out of Japan.

If you really care to listen to music on a quality headphone you already don't use your phone as the player.