Math to IT

Gonna swap from my math degree to IT. Am I making a mistake?

Attached: 8C4723FA-2B67-404C-8DAE-8CE4D5132B1D.jpg (436x337, 28K)

Yes. Do it.

look at job postings and read their requirements. math degrees are valuable but are a particular skill set where as any town of any significant population is going to have IT jobs of some kind.

Probably. Does data science interest you that would be a useful bridge.

Depends on what the fuck you wanna do, how am I supposed to know that?

I think so

I wish I dropped my study for IT desu. I followed the money and studied something else and ending up in IT anyway because I was just coding in my free time.

Yeah I guess, everytime I see job postings it seems they look at math as a secondary skill rather than a primary skill, making me wonder whether math is gonna actually get me a job.
Would definitely be taking data science electives in the IT program my uni offers.

What parts of IT?

Some are more saturated than others, likely won't find a decent job.

What parts are saturated?

You can potentially make alot of money from a Math Degree, but you can't just get a job anywhere.

big mistake.

phd in maths.
300k starting.

>tfw computer science major
>doing mediocre in all my math classes because I get too bored twhen studying it and do something else
Should I just switch majors? Even if the class is easy I can't get myself to stay focused on it because it's so tedious. Is it really worth it to get the comp sci internships and degree or is IT better for me?

OP here, half of the reason I want to swap is I'm doing mediocre in my math courses, getting around 55-65% in them, nothing above 70. Don't think I'll get any decent jobs with grades like that and certainly won't get into a decent grad school. I would do computer science if my uni would accept the courses I've done so far, would lose about 4 grand worth of coursework, where as IT will let me get credit for them.

Mistakes are events or actions categorized as such in retrospect. No one can tell you, you have to find out for yourself.

I have a math degree and I make 90k a year with sql + python. In retrospect, I think I would have been better off financially with a CS degree, but also much dumber.

It's a tough call OP. Datascience work is really hard to get into these days with all the competition, probably better off with IT.

I've heard that getting a major in CS and a minor in mathematics is best. What I don't know is where you use all the math in CS. Do you have to do a bunch of algebra or calculus? I could see having to use statistics in ai.

>Do you have to do a bunch of algebra or calculus?
>I could see having to use statistics

What the fuck do you think statistics is? It's just an extension of calculus and algebra, at least, for the non-baby coursework.

Most IT skills, broadly defined, don't require a formal degree. Bachelor of IT degrees are money making schemes for universities. You only need experience, self-learning, certs you can get online and in person, and you can get to work. If you want to become a programmer or work in software development then get a double degree in math and computer science.

Skills. I meant to write jobs.

Also if you're keen on data science do computer science and statistics double degree.

Are you in Australia? Which uni?

Newcastle

Yes but you're retarded so it's not like it'll make any difference.

I did IT in uni, with no math. My highest level of math education is high school calculus, but I was pretty capable. What education would be suitable if I'm looking at getting into more mathematical areas of IT like AI? Considering I already have a bachelors.

If you can understand partial differential equations and some basic stat theory you're golden

>uni
found your mistake OP

The mistake was taking math in the first place

Enjoy the mosquitos, fag