What's going to be the most in demand programming skill?

I feel like I can't compete with the skilled oldfarts in Java, C/C++ so I'm trying to get a "leg" up on what's next.

Attached: programming-languages.jpg (2500x1443, 518K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/seL4/l4v/tree/master/spec/haskell
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHifak5_naAhWJb1AKHR6iAY0QFgi5ATAP&url=https://thenextweb.com/finance/2017/04/10/ancient-programming-language-cobol-can-make-you-bank-literally/&usg=AOvVaw3-EoR6viDxRB2jjvBeU3Yv
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHifak5_naAhWJb1AKHR6iAY0QFgjIATAQ&url=https://thenewstack.io/cobol-everywhere-will-maintain/&usg=AOvVaw3jtt11-Bj-m2DwkKHm2E72
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on your geographical location of course, but if you're in NA/EU, and near a large city, then most likely JavaScript. Lots of demand for web development these days.

Thats what Ive been seeing alot of. Yes Im US based and seeing more and more JS by the daily.. Any frameworks u really like?

Hop on the fun train, learn Haskell and come to yuropoor to work in fintech.

My senpai immigrated from Yuropoor to “give me the opportunity” to make munny in murica

where? I luv hasklel and want to get out of doing embedded crap.

which one should I learn next, Haskell or erlang?
I know C, C++, python

>What's going to be the most in demand programming skill?
Actual knowledge of program architecture and design, and overall not being a complete dumbass seem to get people farthest in this field no matter the decade.

>I know C, C++

stopped reading there. If you actually """knew"""" C++ you wouldn't be asking this stupid question. Come back in 5 years when you actually know C++.

React.js
It will dominate Angular hands down.

Matters what you'll do.

Programming, then move into C#
WebDev, definitely hit up JS

Attached: Popularity-of-programming-languages.jpg (673x851, 93K)

Javascript, node, React, Serviceworkers/IndexedDB/Progressive web aps.

Get into fintech anyway, it's easy money. Applied math degree is enough to get offers from burger shops.
Switzerland, Austria, France and lately UK.

Same as OP, but I'm from South America, thinking about moving to Spain (I have Spanish nationality so it's fairly easy, but I would love to try to go to the US too) as soon as I get my engineering degree. What languages should I focus on?

Yea Id like to get my foot in the door with fintech, I hear it’s mostly C++ or Java though and I feel like the old ppl who’ve worked with these systems would wipe the floor with me

Perl 6 and Common Lisp are both pretty good:
- super mature frameworks
- great tooling and libraries for everything
- almost no competition (easy to find a job)

Why do I always hear about people hating Perl? Im genuinely curious, all I ever see is bashing on it.

>most in demand programming skill
knowing how to actually use code

Yeah even in yuropoor you'll most likely work with Java (Scala too) or C++ in fintech as a developer, especially HFT. But if you go to newer shops that started around 2008, you're much more likely to see large-scale Haskell codebases. It also depends on what position you'll get in - fintech spans designing hardware with VHDL to playing with algebraic topology on a paper for 180k€.
Don't be afraid of veterans, just build a unique skillset (again, degree in applied math is a good start) and you'll have no problem. If you're that scared, get intimate (very) with JVM because we're always chasing performance these days.

Elaborate user

Hmm I know nothing of Haskell but should probably look into it

Don't fall for the Haskell meme, literally useless unless you are a professor and have to teach a functional programming class or some shit

This, it's a meme but the things it stands upon are not
referential transparency
Immutable data structures
tail call recursion
concurrency
stateless machines

What would you say the future lies in then? I keep hearing web dev languages/frameworks are the big cheese. In regards to the age of computers and programming in general web dev is still “fairly new”. So im assuming Js and python are gonna take over the world while companies still coding in Java and C++ become the COBOL of the future (though idk what could possibly take their places)

Im interested to hear your thoughts

>le useless meme
it was used to prototype the formal verification of the seL4 kernel
github.com/seL4/l4v/tree/master/spec/haskell

> super mature frameworks
Common Lisp's ecosystem is a wasteland of deprecated and broken code. Perl 6 is too new to have "mature" frameworks.
Neither is going to be used by any company under sane leadership, and I say that as somebody who has written a decent amount of Common Lisp, Clojure, and Scheme.
> almost no competition (easy to find a job)
That is not how it works at all.

Java/C# anyone who tells you otherwise is a retard

>What's going to be the most in demand programming skill?
the ability to solve problems. years of experience in some programming language will help, but it can only get you so far.
what matters most is that you can get stuff done, doesn't really matter how. so you should practice that.

WebDev is over saturated, constantly changing and super competitive. Don't listen to other guys on here that info is old.

Get into Datascience and ML quick, learning to use Python, Pytorch and Tensorflow will make you more valuable than most WebDevs easily.

Attached: america_dance-o.gif (500x352, 527K)

Why is haskell popular in fintech? is there anything that sets it apart from all the other fp languages?

java finna dab on em langlets

Attached: 1467223266012[1].png (317x159, 8K)

React and Vue

COBOL, we'll always need COBOL, unless they replace them and they haven't yet and it has been decades.
Also, all of the COBOL programmers are either dead, dying or at least, retiring.
Learn COBOL.

>webdev is oversaturated
>50x more open jobs in my city than data science

Whats the consensus on Java here? Ppl saying its Pajets language of choice?

COBOL seems like itll die out along with those old people but I could be wrong

Yea I recently created an excel spread with “key words” on various job sites and JS was top of the list along with Java
Ill look into this thanks user
In the US all ML/AI jobs ask for masters degrees

>COBOL will die
It won't because mainframes have their place as they are superior in terms of security.

>google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHifak5_naAhWJb1AKHR6iAY0QFgi5ATAP&url=https://thenextweb.com/finance/2017/04/10/ancient-programming-language-cobol-can-make-you-bank-literally/&usg=AOvVaw3-EoR6viDxRB2jjvBeU3Yv
>google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=17&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHifak5_naAhWJb1AKHR6iAY0QFgjIATAQ&url=https://thenewstack.io/cobol-everywhere-will-maintain/&usg=AOvVaw3jtt11-Bj-m2DwkKHm2E72
It's literally everywhere, even still, in business, banking and government infrastructure.
It isn't going anywhere any time soon and requires a new generation of COBOL programmer to keep it running.
LEARN COBOL!

interdasting

LEARN COBOL, NOW!

Enlightening

Thanks anonbros

Attached: 84DFC6B6-4063-4CE0-A1CF-6C8E06F4DBBD.jpg (750x620, 56K)

see , btw learn cobol

how do i into cobol

Java/C# in AWS or Azure cloud.

Deep learning

Master's degree minimum.

Go find book.

Hmm seems viable

>Switzerland
what kind of jobs?
don't you need a ton of qualifications and stuff if you're from the US?

COBOL

LEARN COBOL!

>working on ML and DL projects for financial company as software engineer
>didn't even finish my BS
What's the deal with graduate school shilling these days? We've got like one person on the team with a grad degree, maybe 2/3 have a degree at all. Team lead has an unrelated degree, philosophy I think. University CS is full of abject retardation. I have no idea why anyone bothers aside from getting connections. If you're like me and know people in the industry already there's literally no reason to get meme degree points.

Either way wouldn’t you need a degree to actually land a job? What’s the point of learning java script or react etc , even with the saturation of web dev jobs available. Is just a decent portfolio enough nowadays?

Do you need the degree? I dunno. I've been working for fifteen years in the industry so maybe this is just new. Back in the time I was going into the dev world we were just finding connections in user groups and clubs, coming up with novel projects to contribute to and using books to prep for interviews.

Haskell became popular when they announced there will be llvm backend so it might have to do with that. Other than that, Haskell is really easy to read once you're proficient and maintaining a large codebase is much easier than in other languages thanks to purity and strong type system.
Fintech, VoIP, data analytics. Netherlands is also a place where Haskell is fairly popular.
You need a graduate degree and some experience.

Nobody even knows C commercially anymore. The open source wizards ruined it for everyone; you're either a household name on mailman instance du jour or you're an anonymous Pajeet. Nothing in between.

This surprises me. In my experience there's a surplus of front end developers. What the market is really screaming for is for people who are good with back end like PHP and SQL/noSQL

This is all relative to your location.

Comp.sci degree from top tier university.

Note that doesn't come with only one language. It's a good bunch of languages and maths and just as importantly, srs learning ability and dedication.