FIrefox 60 is out! Say no to the Chrome botnet!

ghacks.net/2018/05/09/firefox-60-0-release-overview/

Enjoy!

Attached: Firefox_Logo%2C_2017.png (2001x2066, 397K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/firefox-reinstall-4175627559/#post5845618
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Mozilla removed the dom.workers.enabled preference. In other words: Workers cannot be disabled anymore
>Enjoy!

Attached: IMG_2111.jpg (461x1908, 130K)

>wtf are DOM workers? Sounds gay. Webdevs are gay.

Attached: mion-sonozaki-2904.jpg (300x400, 36K)

This

>Mozilla thinks I’m using this shit
ITT we laugh

I uninstalled it for Waterfox when they tried to force me to use the nu UI and then took away compatability for the add-ons that let you use the classic look. There was just some stuff that was missing like you couldn't move the tab bar and other shit.
And of course it was going to shit before that with all the pocket and phone syncing shit, trying to be the new chrome

>The FBI exploit used workers and I assume other exploits do too.
I wouldn't advise setting it to true for all pages. (ie. in the user.js)

do you faggots even understand the point of the new engine? on Chrome or firefox.

distributed computing is the future. It’s much easier to build a low perf p/core 32 core count arm processor than it is a high perf 8 core ARM processor. On top of this, as seen with the recent spectre attacks, and privilege escalations proving that they are not going anywhere in any os not named OpenBSD, JS is showing to be nearly as vulnerable as flash is (funny because JS was supposed to replace flash...). Sandboxing by attaching processes to every tab/html draw thread mitigates this threat. This mitigates your ability to use XUL addons, but those have a huge attack vector. On top of that, distributing the engine out allows low density cores to thrive because they can distribute the workload.

Bunch of fucking morons. You don’t have to like it, but it is the future; THREE competing browsers would not have chosen this model if it wasn’t (technically Edge is a competitor, albeit a lesser quality one)

the internet is fucking dead

Are they forcing the pozzed Activity Stream newtab page in this version? ie. do you need an addon to have the old one back?

I don’t know or care about the significance of the changes. Firefox has continually stripped users of choice and computing freedom. No doubt this is another version removing more choice in how the program operates. I don’t care if the change is regarded as a good thing or not, removing options from about:config or chrome:flags will always turn me away.

You can just turn that off, nigger.

How did they make it worse THIS time?

I just upgraded to 60 and now my newtab page is completely empty. It seems they really did delete the old backend

>and Firefox 60 ESR later today

oh shit, so IceCat should be also around the corner... unless they're not moving from ESR 52 but that would be insecure

>removed choice

to sum up my rant: in the name of security. Is it justified? Epidemically speaking, yes, which is what matters most.

>removed computing freedom
Well, from a legal perspective the MPL is GPL compatible, GNU endorsed/modified, and FSF approved. So, not on that spectrum. In regards to actual computability; not really either. The engine performs better in modern benchmarks for every computation task than firefox 52 esr. So not with respect to that either. Furthermore, your data is taken only at your behest, all the code is open source and can technically be audited for data mining.

At the end of the day, prohibiting an update does nothing but enhance your risk of security at the cost of some XUL features. Protest for thise features back in future releases, but to deny the update...Is that really worth it to you? That is the anti-vaccine move here. It’s just dumb.

Im still sitting on 52 (i think) because classic theme restorer isnt working anymore in the newer versions, would waterfox be an alternative for me?

yes

Someone pls explain to me why firefox consumes more RAM than chrome on my pc .. i open the same tabs on both , firecucks 200/300 mb more , and if start to open several , i easily get to 2/3 gb of ram usage , and it lags like shit , chrome no problem . I have 16 gb of ram btw .

brainlets don't know how to customize without bloated addons

>still no sandboxing
Nope.jpg

Isn't this an OS issue rather than an application issue? Reminds me of when people complain about an application not having volume change support.

who ties your shoes?

>Not just running it in Sandboxie

>say no to other botnet
>use our botnet, its only default on
yeah, thanks, but, no thanks. im completely fine with what im using, which is neither of those.

ghacks a shit

they delete comments for no reason, pathetic admins.

They still make shoes with hook and loop fasteners ( Velcro ) right?

Mozilla has been compromised for a while now. IF you want firefox without the crap look for derivates. There are plenty cleaner options like waterfox or seamonkey.

>no java support
I don't use java personally but I can see many people being turned off by this
java isn't dead yet is it? while good, also bad since sites incorporating java some way will now have people saying "it dun work"

java apps are just embedded jar files that can be ran locally and not in the browser. It isn't like js that actively interacts with the site's DOM and other shit so this is a non-issue.

>dude just fiddle lmao

When will you learn.
Install IceCat.

come back home, user

Attached: 1024px-SeaMonkey.svg.png (1024x1024, 146K)

>java isn't dead yet is it?
It's been dead for good 10 years.

it's not flash-dead

>tfw soon IceCat and Seamonkey releases based on the 60ESR codebase
My body is re@dy.

>say no to the chrome botnet, goyim!
>use our botnet instead, goyim! We protect you from fakenews.

Donald Trump is literally HITLER.

Attached: George-Soros-Firefox-Fake-news.png (800x1143, 563K)

Can I install firefox addons in icecat?

Attached: firefox-open-society-foundations-partnership.png (730x775, 187K)

yes.

Attached: firefox-open-society-foundations-plant.png (1566x804, 448K)

But it's dead on Windows right? Pity.

FSF cannot provide windows binaries because compiling any recent version of FF for windows requires Visual C++ and FSF ain't gonna touch that shit.
Third parties provide unofficial icecat binaries or you can build it yourself, Mozilla has an extensive tutorial on how to build FF on Windows.

>Third parties
Well, I think I'll rely on Pale Meme not breing abandoned suddenly instead of a github repo maintained by one guy.

>any recent version of FF for windows requires Visual C++ and FSF ain't gonna touch that shit.
Why? If it can compile on Linux can't they just use the Windows ports of the Linux compilers?

Nah, responsible webdevs would have dropped java years ago and use html5+js instead. They could just offer a platform depended download with builtinjava+app as crunch for now until they get their shit together.

The new UI is better. All relevant addons were ported on day 1. You can disable pocket. Sync is a good thing.

how do they fucking test the windows versions if they don't touch that shit?

do they allow properly moving tabs to the side now?

Excuse me sir, do you have a minute for our lord and savior Waterfox

Attached: RcAhC6Ag.png (512x512, 55K)

I hate it. unfortunately we don't have a better browser. Although Nik's Chromium no-rtc builds come close.

Attached: Program Manager.png (1835x1216, 328K)

How long will it be before Debian pushes the new ESR out to stable?

Is there a userchrome.css thingy that does the job that status4evar did in a pre-webext world?

Its Firefox in blue and nothing else. Fuck all these nigger browsers that popped up over the last 4 years

By showing sponsored content that you cannot disable it seems.

Attached: 30762564_235765730319036_1123155809287536640_n.jpg (960x751, 87K)

What about setting dom.workers.maxPerDomain to 0? Also are DOM workers the same as service workers (about:serviceworkers)? It gets confusing when they can't be consistent and use the same name for something...

Literally Opera is best.

Reminder that you CAN use auto update like in the windows version
linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/firefox-reinstall-4175627559/#post5845618

thanks, i will.

- sent from my iChrome

>the nu UI
is unironically good (australis wasn't that bad either)
except for the diversity art creatures

Attached: mozilla.jpg (230x230, 16K)

Application issue, Chrome/Chromium has sandboxing.

So every program that connects to the internet should have to program its own sandbox? That's a stupid amount of work for something that could easily be handled by the OS.

it can be simply a blank page /a real one/ either in 60 or 61

set processes to 1

Windows just got it, MacOS has this for awhile now.
Look into application guard, sadly it's only for Edge atm but i can see they extend it to use for any program.
Also Windows provides appcontainer which can be used with Chrome/Chromium

>what is firejail

basic firefox is broken for some reason on my pc... im pretty much stuck with nightly

you say that like it's a bad thing

>Firefox 60.0 Issues

>Just one issue listed. When you disable sponsored stories on Firefox's New Tab Page, the next time you open a new tab page may still show a sponsored tile.

Haha, I'm sure this is "unintended".

It's like they stay in the same building with Microsoft.

too bad its crap

source?

Why isn't the "Show All Bookmarks" window being styled? I'm using a default Mozilla-made theme not some shitty third party theme.

Attached: 1502998800312.png (400x476, 33K)

is this as slow as 59? chromium is 5x times faster on my machine

experience with the shitty browser and better alternatives

>the botnet wants you to mine monero in the background on ALL threads
Why did things have to go south?

Attached: two_nooses.jpg (1060x852, 109K)

So glad Soros is near the end of his life. All he's good for is fucking nice things up.

Good thing it's awesome

Fireshit. Unironically Firefox consumes more RAM than Chrome in my machine.

Default settings use a lot of RAM. But you're retarded complaining about something that can easily be tweaked.

Yep, I am a lazy guy. This should be default in the browser though.

?

Attached: 6456545.png (2118x397, 62K)

>not going through all the settings and configuring each peice of software you use to your needs
You don't belong here

>Preference dom.workers.enabled = true breaks some pages (Source: Github)
Sounds like a shitty option, just like the resistfingerprinting one that also breaks some pages.
What was the advantage of setting dom.workers.enabled to False, senpai?

Firefox installs way to many files in apps data and does not remove them with uninstall unlike chrome. Firefox is basically malware

I've been using Firefox since 2006
And there's STILL no viable alternative

What the fuck went wrong with the internet?

Attached: 1461630568133.jpg (600x549, 23K)

Fucking shit. Hangs the system every other minute since 59 and I couldn't find a reason. New profile does nothing, so fucking compiling it myself. I just manually converted the places.sqlite to go back with esr/icecat

Purge the data. All software leaves leftovers.

I think the windows part contains MSVC specific things that simply won't work with mingw/gcc.
Note: it's not necessary code, but config, setups etc.

Just use Chrome

Attached: use_android.png (1333x758, 710K)

I feel the same way, Satan. I tried to switch to Chrome and Opera at some point but in the end I always gravitate back towards Firefox, or at least FF-based browsers.

So what the fuck do I do?

uMatrix has a workers policy

>Workers cannot be disabled
isn't that a good thing?

Attached: error-500-servers-are-down-21499692.png (500x781, 195K)

Just use Vivaldi.

Attached: vivaldi_new_browser_features.jpg (2560x1440, 61K)

adnauseam

>mion
Holy shit user, there's a face I haven't seen in years. Impeccable taste on your part.

thank you mozilla

Even if you alter settings it's still going to consume more ram than chrome (who by default handles things much better).
The fact that people are continually making excuses for Firehog rather than encouraging them to fix it like chromedevs were forced to... it's just fishy.

If I recall icecat is updated when seamonkey is updated because icecat is part of the GNUzilla project so they only have to worry about one codebase rather than juggle two.

>serviceworkers good
>notifications and ads pushed even browser is CLOSED
>constantly synchronized in background(not mining, trust me goy)

stay in loo, fucking poo.