Old and tired. Which distro?

Finally had a revelation.

After unusually large Arch update, including lots of Gnome shit, upon reboot, gnome-terminal just won't start. Even after the obvious quick fixes and workarounds.

But this is not a tech support posting.

I have finally come to the realization that I am too old to fight, and too tired to care anymore. I admit defeat. And yes, it hurts.

So I guess it's time to check into the "just works" F/LOSS nursing home.

Which distro, or whatever?

Asking for myself.

Attached: 4ee83aa54abf67c31e69af36d107fbe1(1).jpg (300x376, 28K)

Install gentoo

Ubuntu 18.04.

Manjaro

manjaro i3 edition

Debian Stable
Literally just works after it is set up to your liking and wont change or break suddenly

Windows 10.

I daily Ubuntu and it's *still* buggy as all hell. My windows desktop never has issues. Fuck it.

OP, just install Debian stable. No surprises, long version cycle means you can chill for years and then do a painless big update. Most everything is supported as Debian is still the biggest upstream distro

Lucky. Over half of my friends have various problems with every Windows 10 'feature' update. LTSB is ok-ish though.

This. I use it on my PC and servers. Newer kernels come out via the backports repo fairly quickly.

Linux mint 18 sylvia

Don't be a douche.

+1 for Debian.
Debian with Cinnamon DE is so damn comfy.

Kubuntu 18.04

Attached: a fucking foot.gif (710x828, 21K)

Agreed, Windows can be annoying at times but it’s easy to deal with.

Debian Stable is 100% the best answer. Use the nonfree ISO from their website and everything will work perfectly forever. Install a desktop environment via the setup if you wish, or uncheck it and install everything yourself. Either way it will just work.

I started with Mint and see no reason to switch. Everything works out of the box and nothing breaks. It probably doesn't matter much what Debian derivate you're using though.

Ubuntu if you want everything to just work.
Debian if it need to be more stable.
Centos for extra stable.

ubuntu LTS and debian stable just work, so you can choose either one, depending if you need preconfiguration. If you need non-free drivers i wouldnt bother with debian honestly because it defeats the whole purpose of a free system, while not being able to provide security patches for the non-free packages (because they cant backport them into older packages if they don't have a source, and wont use new versions if it breaks compatibility)

>Debian
dang, I did not expect so many honest and real answers. Coming in to this thread I was convinced this would just be a Jow Forumsentooman spamfest.

How well does Debian stable fare as a steam/vidya OS? Win7 will only get support for another year or so. Time to start looking for a life after Win :(

>How well does Debian stable fare as a steam/vidya OS?

I think you would be better served with Ubuntu LTS.

this, literally zero issues with Windows 10

Debian as a desktop OS unironically worked even worse than Arch for me.
Just go with Ubuntu 18.04.
Relatively new packages and a stable baseline is all you need.

For general purposes then Ubuntu, mainly because a lot of distros are based on it and no need to say it does have community support for almost everything.

Personally I've always had bad experiences with Ubuntu and used Linux Mint instead, until I got tired of configuring a lot of stuff, an OS is supposed to make you productive, not wasting time on configuring/repairing it.

I've been using Deepin OS 15.5 for three months now, and I like it a lot, mainly because the configuration is just minimal I did an script to use it right away after installation. It just works and can start working right away.

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20180509140153.png (1920x1080, 1.91M)

Xubuntu, install and forget.

>I've been using Deepin OS 15.5
If you're going full botnet, might as well just use Windows 10 LTSB.

Void Linux glibc.

I went through something similar and ended up with OS X.
If you want to stay with Linux I'd recommend Ubuntu.

Did you opt for unstable/testing because you got memed on by arch autist shitposting about >muh ancient packages?

They say the journey to linux starts and end on ubuntu.
Ill use mint instead because I dont like to restart after updates, but it is basically the same.

No. Ancient packages were a much bigger problem.
For a server that doesn't need anything it might be fine, but as soon as you need graphics card or wireless drivers the shit begins.
Or if you don't want your compiler or other software to be 2 years out of date, you have to compile it yourself.
For example the ghc package in Debian is fucking 2 years old.
Debian in all actuality, is shit.

Debian has *always* favored stability over modernity right? It's a trade-off.

t. not a debian user

It's not like newer ghc versions are "unstable"!
What debian does is set up a breadth of packages and then abandons them.
Even debian unstable is outdated.
What purpose does a distro serve, if you end up having to go via another route to get packages you need?
It's not like I want the newest software, but at least something recent would be good.

There is nothing about debian that would justify the outdated packages (for a desktop OS).

Meant for

>using arch distros
Found the problem. Use a rolling distro that actually works like Gentoo or OpenSuse Tumbleweed.

Try OpenSUSE, should work and has some rollbacks.
Anything non-neet will work good for you, even Microschaft Winblows 10

Use the oldest Ubuntu LTS that's still supported, then upgrade to the next newest.

So use Ubuntu 14.04 until next year, then update to 16.04.

Linux has actually been getting a lot worse over the last 10 years.

Debian Stable with MATE. Peak comfy, no update will break anything.

>gnome
Isnt anyone going to point the obvious?

Attached: 32080624_1023983677750337_5776017850980368384_n.jpg (405x821, 26K)

I came to the same revelation a couple of years ago. I ran Sabayon all though college and loved it, but work and life got in the way and I just couldn't be arsed to fix every little problem that pops up with rolling release. I'm on Kubuntu now and I couldn't be happier. Just use Ubuntu or whatever spin you desire.

Same, I installed Mint once and never left it, every now and then I try another distro just to see how it is and end up going back to Mint.

CentOS, just works and never breaks for years on end. No even remotely new packages, but well worth it if you use the desktop for the basics and don't want to spend any time at all troubleshooting.

Windows

I know its going to be hard to swallow, but Windows 10. If you want to remain on Linux, I would suggest Lubuntu.

I did a lot of distro hopping when I got started. I disagree with all the mint posts, imo Ubuntu Mate and Xububtu take the cake for easy stable and comfy.

I prefer Xubuntu after about 3 years of testing both for my needs.