Sysadmin thread

Sysadmin thread

------

I'm starting as a linux sysadmin soon for a datacenter that hosts stuff for customers.

What am I getting into? What should I be prepared for? Any tips?

Attached: images.jpg (302x167, 9K)

Have fun. I started my tech career the same way.

I forgot to mention that the position is pretty much all learning by doing.

Thanks. Any wise words?

Is it weird if sysadmin is my dream job?

>What am I getting into?
one of the hardest, worst paying IT jobs

>What should I be literally prepared for?
zero help from others, frustration, poverty, suicidal thoughts, obesity

>Any tips?
if you kill yourself in the office you'll make at least local tv news and your employers will pay for the funeral.

Prepare ur anus.

Okay, I quit

Install gentoo

Get an outdoor hobby.

Hold on this bullcrap doesn’t pay? Wait what’s the salary like?

How do I become a sysadmin?

Linux Sys Admins in my area makes ~85k

don't listen to these imageboard morons that haven't held a job longer than a month

> Sysadmin
> Doesn't pay
You never had a job, don't you ?

Attached: 1490831623-serieu.png (523x541, 250K)

Sorry, was meant to answer to :

I'm not shitting btw. I worked as a sysadmin for 3 years, forced myself to quit before I ended up killing myself or showing up at the office with a ar-15

where would one begin to master the intercacies of sysadmining?

Attached: photo.gif (48x48, 32K)

get a hobby that requires you to be active. Otherwise you'll end up just like the guy in your pic.

seriously this kind of job will cause you to pack on the pounds if you start eating like shit and not exercising

What's so bad about it? Please explain in detail. In your opinion, what makes it worse than other IT jobs?

I've always been a skinny guy. This won't change. I'll go to the gym soon, though.

you feel like the only base block of a jenga tower, all alone, and forced to witness other idiots taking and moving blocks around without a care in the world while you struggle to keep the entire tower from falling down. It gets to your head. Most IT jobs are stressful, but this one takes the cake because of all the responsibility they put in ONE person. Sysadmins are the air traffic controllers of the tech industry, but unlike them we get paid peanuts in comparison.

Protip: do it for a year tops. It will help you man up and become experienced. Do it longer, and it will break you.

>I've always been a skinny guy.
Wait till you hit your thirties.

How many sysadmin jobs have you had? In how many companies have you been? And for how long have you worked in this sector?

I would think that it always come down to the company, its size and how it handles social and business affairs.

What is a sysadmin? What does he do? What skills and knowledge does he need?
>srs question

Attached: index.png (211x239, 7K)

>65869029
He manages servers and shit. If everything's working you won't even know he's there. If something breaks he's the scapegoat that has to fix shit.

If you recommend to a client or a boss to make x change in hardware and software otherwise y will fall over, make a note of the date you gave the advice and who you gave it to. Then, when y happens, you can tell them I told you so.

Oh so it's more of an information technology career than an information systems career, right?

Yes

>all this memeing
System Admin isn't anything like ATC. Yeah there may be a few positons at senior level where the weight of a truly large project is almost always on your shoulders, but the average sysadmin is making pretty good money to do fairly mild work. Anyone who likes to autism with their linux box will enjoy it. Those who don't like that sort of autism will be repelled by the job immediately, hence all the awful stories you hear from burnouts who never should have taken the job.

I'm 11 years into my sysadmin career, in good health, and don't even work that much OT outside of one or two predictable crunch weeks per year (normal as fuck if you're in accounting, finance, or any other job affected by tax season or quarterly rollout). I wouldn't call it a dream job because it is low social status and the pay is on par with what a mediocre Webdev can earn from home at the same career midpoint, but it is a good job and one of the few where you can jump in and earn real money without a four year degree. I got my CCNA at 18 and was making over 75k by the time I was 21. My brother who is a doctor won't be out-earning me thanks to his mandatory debt payments, until he is near retirement.

learn docker

>hosts stuff for clients

I hope you mean colocation, dedi's or VPS. If it is Plesk/cPanel hosting... eh these clients are mostly brain dead.

Learn fast and get the fuck out of there.

this so much

I'm a sysadmin. I puke every morning I can't relax I can't sleep well. Last week a shrink recommended me to get hospitalized for the second time no less.
I'm having surgery tomorrow so I'm going to have 2 maybe 3 weeks of no job. And if that doesn't fix the daily puking and overall stress I really don't know what I am going to do.

Suicide is a serious option right now.

Don't be a sysadmin.

kys

It pays better than the average job but it is a lot less than other jobs in technology, primarily software development.

Attached: 1508714789247.jpg (900x885, 283K)

>use gentoo
>can never get a linux job because no knowledge of systemd

Attached: 1520891338766.png (633x758, 34K)

I have a shitty job as webdev and would love to switch to sysadmin, I mean, not my dreamjob, but I would enjoy it a lot more.
In my country companies are pretty retarded though and many ask engineering degrees in systems for Unix administrator positions and the like (and most things that are not support/junior webdev actually), and there is no way I'm doing uni.

Green grass I guess. My wife is a webdev and works from home so I envy her freedom. I still have to take the train into work 5 days a week even though it's only 30 mins. I'm looking forward to the day I'm senior enough to consult which I know a few guys do from home with occasional travel.

Well I'm a webdev (which I hate) and have to go to the office every day on the fucking bus, which takes around 1 hour + a 20 minute walk to not take another bus.
Also 3 days a week I also go to class taking another 1 hour trip on bus from work to school, sometimes standing half the trip because there are no free sits (I'm doing Telecommunications in tech school), and from there a 1 hour trip in 2 buses to go home late at night, because if I walk the last segment I'm afraid some homeless nig will rape, rob and murder me on the way, and not necessarely on that order.
I swear I'm not memeing, it is the sad truth.

How did you study for the CCNA? Every site or book I've tried did a horrible job of actually teaching or giving proper study materials.
I would like to just learn from hands on shit but I don't even know where to start for that

jus install systemd on ur gentoo :)

These guys get it. You'll know 100x more than the fucking pajeet SAP analysts and earn half as much. Nobody else will really quite understand what you do, but when shit hits the fan, you'll get all the blame and everyone telling you how much it is costing the company until it's fixed.

Pick a vice because you're either going to end up obese, alcoholic, drug addicted, increasingly socially isolated, or all of the above. The fucked up part is that I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Books. It's been ages and they're way out of date, but I just bought a few books at the time and studied all of them.

use chef or docker

is it stupid to say that i have always wanted to be a sysadmin

Attached: gondola1.png (2000x1351, 3.27M)

is this memeing or are we actually reddit now?

Spotted the non-sysadmin