Can we all agree that if you work in technology and you DON'T have your own private office before you're 30...

Can we all agree that if you work in technology and you DON'T have your own private office before you're 30, you're objectively a failure as a person?
>cubicles
>open spacings
>shared fucking desks

How do people in IT actually work like this?

Attached: 1524168339195.jpg (3200x1800, 2.29M)

I fucking hate the idea of open offices and memeshit like that. It's just a corporate excuse for why you, the employee, don't get your own office. I'd actually argue that if you'renin your late 20s and not in your own office, you've fucked up.

>some higher ups decided to move us software developers to an open landscape in the near future
Just fuck my shit up.

>tfw share an office with another person
There is still time.

Is it just greed, you think? Offices are expensive, I mean?

I worked as a dev for a long-ass time and I always heard these terrible ideas around open landscape offices.
>encourage free movement of ideas
>encourages devs to become more flexible by exploring other platforms
>encourages devs to embrace other parts of the project as to learn more

In reality it's loud, annoying, incredibly distracting and creates paranoia among the workers because people are afraid to be seen "not working efficiently". It's creating the sheep-dog mentality in the work-place, and breeds passive resentment towards the guy a few tables over who's able to waste time on Facebook while you're drowning in work.

How old are you? Sharing an office is a step in the right direction, but at least tell me you've got some separation?

If you share a desk you might as well quit.

>tfw just got my own office last week

Too bad I still get paid dog shit and my closed back headphones serve no purpose now.

>not sharing an office with a busty mommy milf 21 year old secretary who has a flirty personality and all the doors are lockable from the inside and blinds are closed

plebs

Congratulations user. It's a step towards real control of your workplace and an acknowledgement by your superiors of their trust in you.

Separate desks and a wall of monitors between us.
I am 28.

You've still got 2 years user. Make it happen. There's nothing more liberating than coming into work and being free to kick your feet up and not having to take anyone else's opinions into account.

Not to mention the psychological factor. People who sit down in YOUR office know they're on foreign ground. You've got all the power. It's good stuff.

Yea meetings with another person in the room is annoying but we have a lot of banter and we get to bounce ideas off each other.
I need to step back to get forward from where I am (if I remain), so if I want my own office, I need to move.

It might be time user. What branch of IT are you in?

To me, you should climb the ladder to the point where at 30, you have your own office, and you are actively working alongside (not for, not under) the leadership.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't done so myself, but I'm just not very ambitious.

Agreed.

having your own office is the new i have an iphone ?

dear god smite those infidels and their stupid ideals

Having your own office has been a symbol of power and success in your field since the fucking 60s. It is a confirmation of faith in your ability to do your own work, and be a valued individual over a valid member of the team.

I can't say if the latter is better or worse, but I don't think anyone WITH an office would actively take steps to get out of it and return to a cubicle or an open landscape plan. At least no one I've ever met.

>meritocracy fallacy
It's a reflection of your ability to kiss ass, suck dick, subvert coworkers, and your general kneepad bearing capacity. It is not, however, a reflection of your personal aptitude.

Attached: 1525610802054.jpg (400x400, 13K)

I love cubicles.

Or to simply be a manager, which is the person who gets their own offices in most cases.

>I am 12

>community college and state school stem degree
>get an accounting job in a flyover state
>within a year get my own office
>study for mba
>get into m7 school
>internship on wall street
>not even a cubicle at work
>live in a slum tier hovel in queens
>took a job at a tech firm
>tofu tier open office
>silicon valley housing prices
>three years from thirty
>near zero possibility of owning a home by then
>thinking about moving to seattle for affordable housing
>seattle

I could have gotten a mansion on over ten acres back home compared to the trailer home I can get here.

I don't care. I get paid well, I enjoy what I do, am respected as I get things done effectively, help others. I have no interest in management. I like where I sit next to the window as well and I like my coworkers.

>How do people in IT actually work like this?
protip: we don't work

I follow the Costanza strategy: if you look annoyed all the time, people will think you're busy.

as long as you push a few commits everyday and talk shit in standups/meetings you're good to go.

>live in flyover country
>got certs out of highschool from local CC
>IT career started at 18
>work my way through the cubicle farm in my early 20s
>have my office at 24
>married with kids at 25
>senior level job at 29 with two kids
>director level at 32 with my third
>mortgage paid up at 34, 5b/4b house in a nice suburb on half an acre
>wife doesn't need to work, pregs with our fourth kid
Life is good in the badlands.

>tfw 23 and have my own cubicle but no office
I'm gonna make it one day

>Encourage devs to talk to each other

All this money but cant afford a condom or contraceptive pills. Stop making babys please.

Managing Director of my company sits 20 feet away in our open office. 400 people in the building spread into different sections, all in open concept. Every VP and DIrector is out in the open all day. Only HR gets offices because of privacy issues, executives have access to "huddle rooms" and small meeting rooms like the rest of us.

Open concept is a meme and fucking stupid. It's more distracting than anything

Calm down incel. Some of us can function in society and want it to carry on after we die. Do us a favor and end yourself before you decide to cruise on a sidewalk.

HFTanon cubemonkey reporting.

In my firm the cutoff for private vs. shared office seems to be somewhere between $500k and $1M per year compensation, and plenty of people making $200k-$350k don't even get shared offices.

im trying to pay my way through college for cs and im 28, 2nd year in.
currently I work at a shitty manual labor job making $14/hr

how much have i fucked up