>X-rays not transferring to our server
>Work with server and ultrasound companies going on month two
>Look through server settings with comapny
>Ultrasound company looks at Wireshark logs as an idea
>Get info tell server comany about info they say it's enabled
>Check myself and notice a unchecked box
>Check box and enable
>Ultrasound to server works now.

Explained to my boss, he was happy, also happy I was persistant. Still asking me why this didn't get checked almost two months ago.

What's it like to get fired?

Attached: 1525858356339.jpg (400x400, 18K)

Pretty shit. Hard to explain in interviews mostly, though.

semen demon

doctor here

hospital IT is a nightmare, at least where i work. it's a patchwork of various outdated proprietary applications you probably never heard of, modified by the in-house IT department, running on top of windows machines crippled by antivirus software so they are painfully slow. switching users takes minutes. as far as i can tell, there are no standards for storing and exchanging patient data. our admission records are word documents stored in folders named "admissions from $month $year", discharge papers are written using a word plugin that among other things destroys word's undo feature. if i want to see a patients bloodwork, i have to click through various pdf files (in internet explorer btw) as i would with paper, instead of having a nice graph. oh, and speaking of paper, we print out *everything*. at this point, i'm ready to just go back to working without computers, it would be more efficient. i think one reason for this is that doctors are surprisingly IT-illiterate, considering their otherwise high degree of education, so they are unable to formulate their requirements, so the IT department treats them like the idiot users they are.

my personal solace is that i installed cygwin and am now writing all of my admission records with vim.

That all sounds awful, wow it could be so much worse.

>Ultrasound machine
>X-Rays
???

You are in severe violation of HIPAA. If there's ever a breach then you could be found criminally negligent due to willfull violation of the act. All software that touches a patient record needs to be certified compliant. There are very strict rules about how patient data is handled.

You need to voice concerns and get it in writing. Read up on the law and tell your superiors about the risk. Print out the emails and take them home. People will try to scapegoat you when shit hits the fan.

Not everyone is American

It's not exactly my area of expertise, this is actually the first ultrasound machine I ever worked with.

>Posting on Jow Forums
>Unironically being a Tibetan basket weaver.
Also I've seen this kind of shot in US hospitals before, so I wasn't surprised, just worried about Dr. user.

I also support user's advice. Do this to protect yourself if something ever goes down. Otherwise you'll be defenseless.

I don't think doctors being somewhat tech / IT illiterate is the real crux of the problem with health-care IT being so garbage. I think one of the bigger driving factors is that hospitals or medical practices' primary priority and thus driving force, is unsurprisingly practicing medicine.

This means they won't bother to pay for the best talent and won't spend the time or money on having high quality software and technology in place. And to be fair to them, they aren't entirely wrong in their priorities. Having a nice internally developed web application versus emailing back and forth spreadsheets isn't going to necessarily saves lives. It might if it means avoiding a fuck up that arises from poor communication and coordination. What will more likely save lives is having more doctors and nurses, along with having more skilled doctors and nurses. The IT and tech used will help but it can't perform CPR on a patient or draw their blood. For this reason, this institutions have a somewhat misguided priority on this area.

Attached: 1517102476411.jpg (600x431, 34K)

It's the same in any field, basically. Lawyers write shit in MS Word, print out, sign manually, scan back in, and send as attachment per email. This is the world we're living in.

Attached: annoyed.jpg (306x306, 20K)

Haha! My dad is an attorney and I hear these kind of stories all the time from him. The worst he says is doing document sharing during discover. So many other attorneys will share digital documents with him via mailing a DVD or USB with the files rather than uploading them to something like Drop Box. He says it is better than it was ten years ago since at least they now actually provide it in a electronic format.

Attached: 1511299462551.png (792x584, 1.01M)

want her to put me in gulag so hard

doctors are the smartest people in hospitals and they generally have the IQ of a typical "IT guy"

Air Force just purchased 400,000 dell AMD A4 desktops in 2017 on contract. Replaced them a year later with “i5” $1200 laptops just because the desktops didn’t meet w10 minimum reqs

Do X-rays and ultrasounds have PII regarding the patient on the document itself?

When I worked for IBM I quickly learned that the default settings on any piece of comms gear wouldn't work. Every time, everything had to be set to the correct settings.

That's the reason why X-Rays, ECGs, and Ultrasounds must only be sent via encrypted fax in my country. The faxes are high resolution but still blobby.

>considering their otherwise high degree of education, so they are unable to formulate their requirements
an M.D. is literally just undergrad 2.0 which in turn is just high school 2.0. the admissions criteria is literally identical to when you enter undergrad. high standardized test scores, high gpa, and any extracurricular bullshit you can pad on your resume.

there's a reason why if you want to do research you'll either have a phd or md AND phd, not just a md.

Been there. Done that. This is accurate.