Linux is the absolute worst OS for having fully up to date applications

>switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu 18.04
>can't get the latest Firefox (60 is out, stuck on 59.0.2)
>can't get the latest Transmission (2.94 is out, stuck on 2.92
>can't get the latest Filezilla (3.33 is out, stuck on 3.28
>can't get the latest Gajim (1.02 is out, stuck on 1.01)

None of these have ppas or even snaps or whatever.

Explain this bullshit, and don't tell me to build the source code. No other OS requires me to build the source code to get the latest software.

If the most popular distro can't do this, it's no wonder Linux is like 1% marketshare

>inb4 Jow Forums tells me to install Arch, a distro that breaks with any bad rolling update

>inb4 Jow Forums asks me why I need updates in the first place while every other thread is about updating a kernal or your android phone or getting the latest torrent client or browser update

Attached: No_linux.png (334x393, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/download/thanks/
flathub.org/
snapcraft.io/store
archlinux.org/packages/?name=firefox
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Transmission&maintainer=&flagged=
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Filezilla&maintainer=&flagged=
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Gajim&maintainer=&flagged=
dl3.cdn.filezilla-project.org/client/FileZilla_3.33.0_x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
launchpad.net/~mozillateam/ archive/ubuntu/firefox-next
launchpad.net/~transmissionbt/ archive/ubuntu/ppa
launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gajim
download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest-ssl&os=linux64&lang=en-US
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install gentoo

>install stable branch of a OS
>expect bleeding edge
Just fuck off back to windows, we don't need your pajeet ass using linux.

>I want a rolling release but I don't want a rolling release
Feel free to stay away from Linux!

>waaah I'm stuck on the previous minor version
>waaaaaaaah it's gonna take at least a couple of days more to get them automatically
>no I need them NOW but I won't build them, nevermind how small the difference between versions is
your inb4 won't save you here, you need to go back to Windows and stay there

>he thinks you need a rolling release to have up to date software like browsers, torrent clients, ftp clients, etc.

kek

18.04 is like week old
FF60 is not even on release page
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

you really should go back to windows 10
its fit you

Attached: wUVMgL3.jpg (489x396, 31K)

>FF60 is not even on release page

It downloads 60, retard.

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/download/thanks/

If you want more up to date packages, install Manjaro. It's a rolling release distro based on Arch (don't worry noob friendly). Seriously try it out, it's way more stable than Arch because the updates are tested before they get put in Manjaros repos. It's maybe 1-3 days behind Arch.

>If you want more up to date packages, install Manjaro.

Whenever somebody makes a manjaro thread, 80% of the posts say it is shit.

For linux too. Magic. Packaging for distros may have flags and needs some testing before the release. On ubuntu only the main repo is updated properly. Other may stuck for some time or forever. :^)

Sour fags. I use it and it's gitgud. Not perfect, but good enough for a daily driver.

>tfw a $30 chinkphone from Walmart gets app updates faster than a $1000 desktop PC running Loonix

Attached: tumblr_ndo4s3xQln1qlpyreo8_1280-9891.jpg?rect=3,0,633,633&q=98&fm=jpg&fit=max.jpg (633x633, 127K)

I'm using Manjaro, I can say it's good. You got Gentoo/Arch elitsit that call it shit and maybe even Windows/Debian/Mac users that call it shit. But I haven't encountered shit and I'm running it. Try it out on a liveUSB and make up your own mind before listening to shills, I promise you won't waste your time.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-05-09_19-39-20.png (2390x768, 363K)

It is not the most important thing that applications are up to date. The distributor must weigh stability against actuality.

Y'all niggas are fucking retarded. Windows let's you install whatever versions of shit you want.

>and don't tell me to build the source code
That would be unfair to Win babies who need everything fed to them on a spoon.

>Y'all niggas are fucking retarded. Windows let's you install whatever versions of shit you want.

Ever notice how Linux users become complete cucks when you mention how they can't install software whenever they want like Windows or Mac users can?

It's pathetic. They even say that you don't need the update lol

>when a Linux user wants to get the latest version of his torrent client but his repo doesn't have it

Attached: CBxjCkuUMAAMY7_.jpg:large.jpg (545x380, 28K)

What prevents you from going to the official Firefox website and downloading the new version?

OP wants the new version through his package manager, and that's not gonna happen at the same time as the general release because it needs to be tested and built with specific flags for his distro.

The upside to this minor delay is that when you uninstall Firefox it won't leave 14398 registry entries, 985 log files, 32 configuration files and 8 unneeded dependencies like every Windows program.

>how they can't install software whenever they want
But that's wrong you fucking retard. If you want 60.0 you go to Mozilla's page and get it. Whenever you want.
>inb4 b-b-but t-that doesn't count

>The upside to this minor delay is that when you uninstall Firefox it won't leave 14398 registry entries, 985 log files, 32 configuration files and 8 unneeded dependencies like every Windows program.
This triggers the wintard

Attached: 4f40c41ce8f798b78f803772a2b02043.jpg (650x487, 35K)

>The upside to this minor delay is that when you uninstall Firefox it won't leave 14398 registry entries, 985 log files, 32 configuration files and 8 unneeded dependencies like every Windows program.

But it doesn't do that...

>a distro that breaks with any bad rolling update
You've never used it.

Attached: squinter.png (316x322, 158K)

Linux is shit don't listen to these fags

Firefox gets regular updates, just wait a few days

for everything else:
flathub.org/
snapcraft.io/store

>falling for the leftover registry keys and folders bring your system to a sluggish crawl

nigga go back to Norton Registry Defender®™ meme software

Attached: sm_left_500px.jpg?w=584.jpg (500x500, 185K)

but it does, if you knew how your OS worked you wouldn't use it

>he doesn't know what rolling release means

Living on the edge, huh?
>>can't get the latest Firefox (60 is out, stuck on 59.0.2)
archlinux.org/packages/?name=firefox
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Transmission&maintainer=&flagged=
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Filezilla&maintainer=&flagged=
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=Gajim&maintainer=&flagged=

Attached: 1437659767015.jpg (412x398, 86K)

Windows

>Mozilla sends a update to you as soon as it is released and updates your Firefox

Linux

>you have to wait for a 3rd party to grab the update from Mozilla, repackage it, and update your repo for you while Mac and Windows users enjoy their update

Why are Linux users so cucked?

Attached: 354deaa3770912621bb816da070346ab.jpg (258x245, 12K)

And they still have the nerve to look down on Android users getting their shit from Playstore.

>for everything else:

Still out of date

Linux is a joke.

Can't find Transmission, Gajim or Filezilla there either.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-5-9 Firefox — Linux software in the Snap Store.png (1087x660, 97K)

>>can't get the latest Firefox (60 is out, stuck on 59.0.2)
It's in the testing branch, can't you see?
are you BLIND? look again you retard, it's all updated.
install gentoo (arch)

Attached: pepenguin.png (602x500, 45K)

It's just arch fags that don't want people intruding on their secret club. They are the biggest faggots. Gentoo and Slackware users are pretty nice guys and those are actual a slight pain to install and maintain. Arch users give Linux a bad name.

Download Everything from voidtools and look at how many versions of libcef.dll, node.dll, 7z.exe and D3DCompiler_XX.dll you have installed in your machine.

Samefagging this hard

You can install whatever version of software you want on Linux to. It just doesn't cater to technically illterate brainlets like you and OP

why do you need the latest updates immediately? On my windows computer I don't even update to the latest software until weeks after it's been released so I can make sure it's not a garbage update and all my extensions have had time to get updated. Ubuntu is the biggest linux distro, it'll get all of those updates in a week or two. If you need the absolute latest version of software then you shouldn't pick an OS with a rolling release

>hiding your nervous frustration as laughter after being exposed as a brainlet
I guess that was the way to go

1/10 reading comprehension. Grow a brain or something.

Go to the transmission website and download it then same is windows retard.

linux is for third worlder poorfags who want to use deprecated software, play 10 year old games and all on dumpster tier hardware

Attached: firefox_2018-05-10_01-07-50.png (650x337, 44K)

>why do you need the latest updates immediately?

This is how cucked Linux users are.

When MacOS and Windows users have faster updates, they literally act like they don't need it.

If Linux users got faster updates, you know they'd be laughing at Windows and Mac users.

Nice double standard, Loonixtard.

The last time i checked the transmission site doesn't have binaries for linux.

It was ironic, retard.

Attached: f93.png (680x598, 299K)

>Go to the transmission website and download it then same is windows retard.

You know that's not true, user.

True. Fuck linux. Praise GNU/Linux!

Attached: dc83f5fed1e79c8260b98bf80dcf00e6363d04a6d471b29e33bbb9d7807e96a9.jpg (2048x1360, 1.05M)

Download from mozilla website. Install. Just like windows.
a 2.94 build is already being added, you impatient fuck.
Download from filezilla website. Install. Just like windows.
Website literally has instructions for installing the latest git version.

Jezus christ OP, you're a dense cunt.

Attached: 1431087540696.gif (316x166, 2M)

If a "Linux" user is running a rolling release they do get fast updates. Stop same fagging panjeet this board is for people that understand technology. Windows users aren't welcome here.

Attached: kys-s.jpg (790x1229, 102K)

>Linux user waiting for his 3rd party repo to update while Windows users just download the exe

kek

Attached: 7c3.jpg (400x400, 28K)

>You know that's not true, user.
No I didn't because I don't use trash like Windows or Ubuntu so I get the latest package straight from the repo with zero hassle.

>third worlder poorfags who want to use deprecated software, play 10 year old games and all on dumpster tier hardware

unironically me

>2018
>exe

Attached: brainlet_with_computer.png (798x490, 95K)

>the major argument against manjaro is an expired cert and "hook nigger shit", whatever it means.

Attached: soyim.png (199x316, 20K)

Your are using a stable LTS distro, where maintainers test the software before pushing it into repos, if you need the latest and greatest with dumbass protection use manjaro or antergos. If you think you are so very smart and wont fuck thngs up on the 2nd hour of using linux use gentoo

You can always use dl3.cdn.filezilla-project.org/client/FileZilla_3.33.0_x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.bz2 and compile it yourself you dumb windowscuck

t. centos/fedora user

>distrowatch

Additionally, if that is their solution to something so fucking minor and easy to fix imagine all the unfixed security issues the distro itself has. They don't have a security team, they just leech off of Arch and some dipshit colours everything green.

Attached: 1521221214657.jpg (300x300, 28K)

I barely use my linux computer as it's a hobby computer. I use macOS at work and windows at home, retard. You still can't answer why you need minor updates as soon as they are released.

You hear this a lot: "A thread died for this." While accurate, this phrase generally carries no weight. But just this once, if you would do me a favor and hear me out, it would do all of us a lot of good.

A. Thread. Died. For this. You woke up this morning, poured yourself a bowl of Faggot Flakes, moistened them with your impotent Faggot prostate milk (which IS in fact impotent, because you're a fucking faggot) and, within seconds, decided that today of all days would be the time you decide to cut your synapse firing quota by just a little too much.

So you hopped online, carved out this uninspired chicken scratch, probably failed the captcha once for every strand of peach fuzz on your half-empty sack, and clicked Submit.

At that moment, a thread died. A thread that could have been bumped. A thread that could have been resurrected with content, or valuable discourse between its denizens. Hell, it could've even been bumped for absolutely no reason. And that would've been okay. Because, had it survived, a few more seconds could have been spent without having had your abortion of a post been born in this world.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1458485859133.png (620x348, 269K)

But you said in the OP that you installed Ubuntu, so you're basically calling yourself a 'cucked loonixtard'. Why would you insult yourself like this? You need to work on your self esteem issues

Spoiler: not the OP

>Switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu
>Talks shit about Arch without ever using it

>4.14
my sides

/v/ is leaking again, sage.

I can easily switch to a more up to date kernel if I want. Look at this preinstalled tool.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-09_20-59-31.png (1228x514, 119K)

your obvious samefagging of this thread makes me not believe you

This

> I like having a million applications each with their own update proccess that fuck shit up
No way man, i prefer runing the update manager once a week and chosing the things i want to update.
And if i want a package directly from the third party i just use the ppa.

>once a week
Not updating ten times a day. Disgusting. I'm sure you're using a Debian based distro. [spoiler]apt is a joke[/spoiler]

>None of these have ppas or even snaps or whatever.
You're a fucking idiot.

launchpad.net/~mozillateam/ archive/ubuntu/firefox-next
launchpad.net/~transmissionbt/ archive/ubuntu/ppa
launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gajim

>O gaaaawddd im so fucking retarded lawddd help me im a retardddddDD: The Post

Firefox binaries from the site come out at the same time.
Who knows, maybe this version needed extra testing with the distro.
But why do you need the "latest and greatest" version? I doubt a dumb winshit like you can tell the difference.

Yeah apt is crappy but i also do not care about new software and yes i use debian with gnustep.
But i am thinking of installing gentoo for the fun of it.

Weird, I have v62 :^)
Firefox is system independent, it has a built-in updater so it's guaranteed to be up to date on any OS. Unless you're referring to Canonical's version, which nobody is forcing you to use.
download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest-ssl&os=linux64&lang=en-US
You can literally extract this into a folder and make a launcher to the executable. This gives you the latest, non-Canonical build.
Kys, retard. Should've stayed on windows if you can't fucking solve a problem this simple.

Are you dumb? Firefox is always up to date on any OS. He didn't say he wanted the nightly build, he said he wanted the latest STABLE build.

That's not how it works.

Jesus fuck this thread is filled with retards.

>>launchpad.net/~mozillateam/ archive/ubuntu/firefox-next

beta

>launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gajim

out of date

Least the transmission one worked

Are snaps actually better than just adding the repo and getting the package from there?

>That's not how it works.
That's exactly how it works you fucking retard.

>beta
That's because Firefox 60 IS beta.

>it works like that
clearly never used Linux before

"i don't want to be in a botnet so let me use this other botnet. it has a lot of command line functionality so i'm a nerd"
wrong
i would consider that a good thing
wrong
i would also consider this a good thing
here's an idea - use anarchy liGNUx. it's exactly like arch except even a retard like you could install it.
>inb4 Jow Forums tells me to install Arch, a distro that breaks with any bad rolling update
it doesn't break if you don't mess with things you don't know about. the most it'll do is erase any configs you have, but only yaourt and pacman do that. there's other options if you leave your echochamber.

install gentoo then kill yourself retard

retard ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.0/linux-x86_64/en-US/

No it isn't. Firefox updates directly from Mozilla's servers, you fucking retard. Learn to read.

I agree OP.
Ganoo/Loonix shit ever i seen.
Please install macOS or win7.

Good for them. But this is rather an exception than a norm.

>rather an exception than a norm.
>literally everything outside of Ubuntu works this way
>you can put the same effort you do on windows to install the "normal" firefox on your Linux, avoiding the issue completely
So it's a non-issue and you're just being an idiot. Don't talk about things you don't understand.

Only true for firefox, and even then only if you download it from their website. And not if you install it normally through your package manager or use the version that ships with your install, which 99% of people do.

>install kubuntu
>open discovery
>system crashes
the state

fast question: 8.1 or 10?

>too stupid to compile the latest versions of software
GET THE FUCK OUT NORMALFAG

You fool.

software needing frequent updates is not the norm

>linux = ubuntu
>tfw can't install internet on linux
>tfw had to quit college because linux
god i hate linux

ITT : OP doesn't know how to install a tar.gz programm

Attached: 7776c61c4082f8ad5a77652ff6dab8e88801fe79606a96824dbfaca1ec5a969e.png (799x936, 447K)

learn how to use a computer or go back to wnagbaws
simple as that OP