Lots of abandoned packages

>lots of abandoned packages
>not endorsed in any way, wants you to use stable
>no external repos, requires you to compile shit because they can't maintain their own repos anyway

What did it go wrong for Debian? Even a meme distro like Arch does a better job into maintaining their own shit than Debian itself. Why there's no good Linux distro?

Examples of abandoned packages:
>packages.debian.org/stretch/monodevelop
Dropped from testing/sid
>packages.debian.org/sid/eclipse
Still at 3.8, newest is at 4.7
>packages.debian.org/experimental/retroarch
Experimental itself is at least 3 major versions behind upstream and the core updater is disabled.

Attached: stalled.png (520x581, 123K)

Your gonna piss off Debian fags, they defend their distro to the bone. Be careful OP, good luck. Remember that cyberbullying isn't real, you can close your eyes or walk away.

inb4 a bunch of anime posters come to the rescue

Attached: wojack-debian.png (972x1062, 348K)

>named after the kid in toy story who broke shit
>sid is perpetually broken
It really makes you think. :^)

They literally named it Sid because it’s broken. What’s your point?

>install package
>works
>continues working perfectly until the next stable release

Debian is for people who’d rather have stability than the latest and greatest.

I tried Debian twice, every time I get frustrated with the outdated packages. Arch made me so I can't enjoy fixed release distros anymore. Rolling release is the future of desktop linux.

Guess how I know you're a macfag

>They literally named it Sid because it’s broken. What’s your point?

>not endorsed in any way, wants you to use stable
>no external repos, requires you to compile shit because they can't maintain their own repos anyway

Try to keep up m8

Do tell?

Why does my Debian vm take minutes to boot when my Ubuntu vm is instant

It is also valid for testing, and the abandoned packages end up affecting stable.
It is not a matter of muh latest and greatest, but how they boast their repos while keeping it rotting away.

Testing is valid for testing. Sid is broken shit that needs to be fixed. Unless you want to help them fix these packages, Sid isn't for you.

>not posting the superior version

Attached: 1524316048963.png (1440x1938, 494K)

>stable is old reee
>"use testing/sid kiddo"
>testing/sid is old and broken reee
>"testing/sid is broken, use stable"

So this is the power of Debianfags.

Attached: smugretard.png (372x343, 161K)

I installed SID mostly for the fuck of it. Its been months and I've had so few problems with it I use it everyday now. If it ever breaks, I'll install stable though (this system is mostly for schoolwork and internet browsing, no need for "cutting edge" after all...)

So you agree that, for a daily driver, people that choose Debian should stay on the stable channel?

Because on every fucking topic there's a Debian fucker who recommends testing and even sid for daily drivers.
Muh >works for me

Those are all your talking points kiddo.

>So you agree that, for a daily driver, people that choose Debian should stay on the stable channel?
Yes. If you need something new, use apt-get build-dep and fetch the source.

It's stable. That's good, you fucking fad-chasing hipstors. Your minds have been rotten by bleeding-edge distros.

I wouldn't mind if it was just outdated on stable, but there are a bunch of unmaintained stuff which should be dropped on testing/sid.

I think it's fine packages of core functionality are withheld from receiving the latest updates to ensure that they work (i.e. whatever handles shutting down, sound, keyboard input, etc etc). It becomes self-defeating when you limit *all* software to whatever the maintainers feel is appropriate. I say feel because there's a shitload of buggy, unstable packages in Debian STABLE that can only be rectified by jumping through hoops to get the latest version.

Debian could really learn from the AUR.

Name at least 20?

>requires you to compile shit because they can't maintain their own repos anyway

you are undoubtedly a windows 7 user

Attached: download (2).jpg (253x199, 15K)

Testing is the staging area for the next stable. It's maintained. Sid is unstable btw. Totally different than testing.

>Arch
>Meme distro
Literally the only place on the entire internet that believes that is a handful of sperglords on Jow Forums that still regurgitate old bugs that haven't existed in the better part of a decade but they would never know that because most of said spergs are too fucking dumb to copy and paste from a wiki to install it for themselves.

>b-but rms doesn't know how to install a distro so that doesn't mean I'm dumb

Yes it does. He's too autistic to function in normal life without chimping out and breaking shit then eat his own foot fungus.

THe big problem is the LTS release system that is just not suitable for desktop use in most cases:
- if you are a developer you will lack new libraries
- if you a tech enthusiast you will lack muh new features
- if you are a standard user it will be painful to use the new documentation with the old softwares
- if you are a student you will be working with different version, really painful to not have the same implementation of something than on the pc at your school (my case with sympy and eclipse)

The main problem is that a software should be considering stable by the originals developers (upstream), if not that just mean they are incompetent. For example Blender release a stable version every few months after testing and patching bugs in the dev version, the version they release is considered stable, there is no need to keep the old version in the repository (debian developers can't and don't have time to patch blender bugs anyway). The only bugs debian can fix and take care are the dependency and package management (the glue of the OS).
The only good things are the stability for servers or for your grandma laptop where she doesn't care of all the points above (but ubuntu or ubuntu variants are easier and faster to setup).

Granpas are stubborn and stick to old and deprecated stuff like Debian.

Bleeding Edge Arch is modern so cleary superior .