I enjoy the benefits and features of a GNU/Linux system, but as an incoming freshman...

I enjoy the benefits and features of a GNU/Linux system, but as an incoming freshman, I will need to be using software that is typically unavailable to Linux users (e.g. MS Office). Furthermore, I value things like synchronized phone/computer messaging and robust, built-in utility apps that come with operating systems like macOS.

Ideally, I would be using macOS since its *nix roots make it a nice balance between the two, but I'm not going to pay $1.5-2k for an iMac. I like how there's always a good compatible program when you're on Windows, but the technical aspects (bash isn't native, cmd is horrible, low customizability) are revolting. On the other hand, Ubuntu (which I imagine would be the best Linux choice) scores very well technically, but very low in utility and program compatibility.

Any advice, Jow Forums?

Attached: travelling salesman.jpg (750x483, 35K)

Just use a Hackintosh, you insufferable fuck.

Why not use Linux and run a Win10 VM if you really need MS Office? You shouldn't, btw, LibreOffice is solid.

>I will need to be using software that is typically unavailable to Linux users (e.g. MS Office)

>not writing everything in Latex
>not failing to compile fucking text

This. It's made by the people who made OpenOffice.

And spend 50% of my time troubleshooting? No thanks.

>Why not use Linux and run a Win10 VM if you really need MS Office?
A part of it is that half of me wants to start playing video games in college, and nobody makes games for Linux (which points towards Win10). The other half of me wants me to make the most of my time and opportunities at the university instead (which points to Linux).

Is Win10 more or less bloated than Win7 was?

You'd be spending 50% of your time troubleshooting on a distro as well, you absolute monkey. Just use Windows like you know you want to. Windows 10 is bloated at first, but everything can be removed. Nuke the update service if you don't want to deal with that, or extend the update time in Group Policy to 365 days for less frequent annoyances. You are garbage and I hate you.

Windows 10 is more bloated by far. Its the opposite of a power user operating system but it is fast and well designed for normal computing tasks.

I'm confused by that image. Isn't the traveling salesman already solved?

If you want to be a fucking child and play video games instead of learning how re-world production systems work, ten you already have your answer.

BSD

>Ethical Salvation of Humanity Tier
Linux
> Compromised Ethical Salvation Tier
Linux + Windows VM or Linux + Windows Dual Boot (better for gaming option)
> Probably what is best for university Tier
macOS
> Kill yourself Tier
Windows

Solved in the sense that it's easy to write an algorithm which eventually reaches the answer.
Unsolved in the sense that it's an NP-hard problem (meaning the computational time needed to solve it scales exponentially with the number of inputs, rather than polynomially). It's part of the "does P=NP?" question.

>Ideally, I would be using macOS
Are you fucking gay?

Anyway, just enable WSL on Win10. You'll get your GNU support for a Windows desktop.
I've been working like that for over two years, and I only touch macs when I have to work with already existing Xcode projects.

Why mot simply dual boot

Because then you have to reboot every time you want to switch.

get a macbook pro 2015 for like $550 on ebay

>nobody makes games for Linux
nobody also makes games for macos

>I want the benefits of all the major OS but none of the drawbacks

wow you are a faggot. Use some popular distro and GNOME. GNOME loves shoving its fat cock into every aspect of the user experience, so you might like the feeling of it. You also can get away with using Libreoffice or Google's own productivity suite if you only need to do basic shit.

If you still find a reason to not go Linux, then use a Windows computer and shut up, faggot.

As an incoming freshman, you almost certainly will NOT need to be using software that's not available on Linux. For instance, everything you "need" Office for, LibreOffice can do just fine.

If you have an iphone just pony up for the mac. There's no reason to not have mac or windows. Linux is much easier to vm if you absolutely need it

I just finished freshman year, and was in a similar situation. Virtualization was the best fit for me. You can get the best of both worlds for only a minor performance decrease when working inside a guest.

>but as an incoming freshman, I will need to be using software that is typically unavailable to Linux
Not once in my entire University life have I ever used Microsoft office.

>and nobody makes games for Linux
That is just wrong. Linux has a big library of games running natively and can run many more through wine, of course it isn't *everything*, but a lot.