Are SSD/ NVMe drives really required in a modern PC? Other than load times, installing software...

are SSD/ NVMe drives really required in a modern PC? Other than load times, installing software, and unzipping files what benefit do they show as all of these events are a minute part of the overall experience on a PC?

if SDDs/NVMEs are really necessary what would be the best kind of things to put on them?

Attached: SSD-HDD-Drives-569c53c65f9b58eba4a8db20.jpg (3000x2000, 362K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9dEsTiOeMQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=TVL5EaYc6cw
youtube.com/watch?v=0eaXSppcONE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The entire OS becomes faster. You'd be surprised at the amount of shit that gets written and read from the hard drive and blocks everything until it's done. Put all your software on an SSD.

they arent required they are just fast and nice to have you fucking retard. if you have to attempt to justify the purchase you can kindly fuck off back to wherever you came from.

wow youre a dick... go sit in a corner

is it really nessecary for all the software to go on one, or is just getting an OS on one sufficient. i just haven found much outside synthetic benchmarks where SSDs make much improvement outside the thing i said earlier

Yeah. Just put your OS on a 240GB SSD and put your games and software you don't use all the time on a hard drive.

There's no reason NOT to store your software there. You'll still have at least 100GB free after you installed the OS - what's the point in keeping them free.

Over-provisioning.

because i was assuming what this guy said

Fuck off. Its 2018 so you must be one of the anti ssd trolls. No way in hell have you only found "a few synthetic tests"

Every test comparing a hdd vs an ssd shoes the gigantic difference.

My next step is to remove my 4tb disk and only use my 1tb ssd. Since it will last longer and is a million times faster.

>people still using HDD's in 2018 despite SSD's having the biggest performance:price upgrade

im genuinely asking a question so dont be a dick but kindly go suck one

youtube.com/watch?v=9dEsTiOeMQ4

only load times are affected

The controller will die long before the NAND chips on desktop usage, there's no point on overprovisioning

Yes, since the early 2010's, flash memory at LEAST for the OS is a must. It just grew to be a bottleneck over time.

Holy shit kid literally go back to /reddit/

>disk intensive tasks improve if you use faster disks
woah
next you're going to tell me that GPU upgrades are only useful if you need to process graphics

wow great argument there, now i know the error of my ways

kindly go back to school youre clearly a drop out

yes well that was kind of the point of my argument.... but many seem to tell me that an HDD will bottleneck my computer if anything is on one.

well no shit only load times are affected, its a damned video game.
once everything it needs is loaded into ram, its loaded into fucking ram.
very few games constantly read from the disk unless the computer has dogshit for ram.
>it doesnt make my gaems faster so it doesnt do anything
fucking kids

Much like you'd spend extra money on a GPU if you do graphically intensive tasks, consider buying an SSD if you do anything that might benefit from faster drives. And since their prices are dropping while RAM prices are still high, it makes more and more sense by the minute to get an SSD.

neglecting the argument of pulling textures and elements as a character moves through the map of a game which may cause lagging >.>

It's time to go back.

if a game doesnt put the textures and models in system ram or vram the devs should be hanged by a noose made of their own intestines

see i was going to get a SDD for holding the OS and games thinking games would get bottlenecked somehow where i would have a HDD for media and all else.

but my impression now is SDD for OS + any non-game programs and HDD for games+media

did i say that is never goes into vram? but as a character moves through the world it will have to dump some portions it has loaded that the character has moved away from and add others in regions youre moving toward.

this is originally where i assumed a bottleneck would be, though it seems its not the case

what youve said means nothing

youtube.com/watch?v=TVL5EaYc6cw

Since you apparently don't like numbers, there are more than enough videos showing the benefit of a ssd. If after watching those you still don't think you need one, then you don't need one.

SSDs are ideal for programs you open, close, and leave idle with frequency, especially if you don't have a lot of RAM. Make an autopsy of your own use and habits and determine if you need it.
It's not that hard really. It makes special sense with laptops, that use shitty 5400 RPM drives to save power. But SSDs use even less power and given that it's a laptop you probably don't need a whole lot of storage to begin with. SSDs are not a be all end all solution, so you can't say they're not needed either, since it depends on the situation.

i probably phrased the OP incorrectly, instead i should have asked what things an SSD is best for. ive just had a lot of people telling me to ditch all HDDs and put everything on SSDs and im trying to pinch pennies where i can in my build

It does make sense to not buy SSDs if you're on a budget then. They're a straight upgrade to HDDs nonetheless. You can get snappier load times with literally everything. Go for an HDD and consider an SSD when money isn't a problem.
Other than that, /pcbg/ could give you a hand.

hdds are really only useful for network storage machines and servers and such at this point
the world is moving to solid state storage, and all future software is going to follow.
just like how developers stopped optimizing their software for memory usage when ram became lightning fast and high capacity, and how developers stopped optimizing file sizes when hard drives became a few cents per gigabyte, developers will soon stop taking read/write operations into account in their software

this isnt an area where you want to "pinch pennies"

Well where is then? Certainly not the cpu or GPU or ram...

>nessecary

That's a new one

you balance it equally so you don't get an overkill CPU you won't be able to use to its full potential because you got it paired with the shittiest mobo and GPU for your use case
logicalincrements.com is an okay guideline for that, but you might need some tinkering

This is the dumbest thread I have seen in terms of number of shitty posts. Summerfags getting more retarded.

No, you are not required or necessary. People just use them because they are a lot faster. If you jump from HDDs to nvme the difference is enormous. Just make sure you can boot natively from m.2. If not, you're in for a wild ride.

Attached: 230.gif (600x338, 3.48M)

ram you just toss in the cheapest 16gb set you can find. watch for sales and shit
buy a motherboard without shitty meme GAYMER branding
your case should be a $20 steel box with some fans in it
dont shell out more money for modular or braided cables on your psu. you are fine without them. only things that matter are certification and wattage
if you dont overclock or use any other special features like virtualization and such, dont waste money on motherboards with top of the line chipsets

if it has rgb lights dont buy it
if it has a plastic or glass window dont buy it
if it has special frills and faggot cosmetic shit, dont buy it

I'm making a workstation so just tossing in 8gb of cheap ram doesn't do especially since I'm looking at ryzen

first i said 16gb, do you even read?
second if you are building a workstation (as in a computer that does actual work) then you abso-fucking-lutely want an ssd in there
what are you gonna do? video rendering? software development? photography?
having an ssd saves a shitload of time, and time is money. if you are really building a workstation, for doing work on, then a fast ssd will earn you more money than you spend on it easily

Cad/multiphysics simulation /computational fluid dynamics

Processor and ram intensive. Not very hdd/sdd intensive. Tossing a video card in for gaymen abilities on the side.

Its a performance improvement but of course its not needed, all a PC needs is a device storage, memory and a cpu
Yeah it helps an OS to load very fast so buy a small SSD and put /boot /etc and /tmpfs on it

This is a fucking terrible thread.
sage

Attached: 129848582235.jpg (500x300, 106K)

Sorry I said 8gb

Your moms a terrible thread

nVMe is an interface protocol extension ontop of PCIe. In principle you can have nVMe implemented on top of a mechanical drive attached into PCIe but it would be useless since it will never saturate the controller. SSDs is storage.

SSDs don't offer that much of an advantage on personal desktops as much as datacenters and mobile devices. Both benefit from massive storage density, reduced power usage, and alleviated bottlenecking of storage speeds especially in datacenters. With SSDs getting cheaper nowadays, eventually mechanical hard disks will become obsolete anyway, people said "do we really need hard disk storage" years ago when they were using tape drives and now we have hard drives in the same position. There is write tolerance on SSDs but when compared to a mechanical hard drive it is still miles ahead in terms of lifespan.

>Hi Jow Forums, should i get PC400 ram or DDR4-3200?
>Oh well it's not that important faster ram only benefits particular scenarios where you're using lots of ram, games these days tend to optimism for cpu cache use so ram speeds probably won't affect that much, sure its faster but its not that big a deal depending on your use case. If you want to save some money go with the slowest outdated ram you can find because i've actually seen some benchmarks that show the difference isn't that big in some scenarios. Did you know that cpu registers are really taking off these days so even the cache isn't as important as it once was...
t. mongloids

Attached: FRs3g9M.jpg (3072x2098, 402K)

You sound beyond rational, thank you

>SSD
Yes.
>NVMe
Not yet.

Put your OS and programs on it, then use the rest of the space for your favourite games. SSDs are so cheap these days that unless you're building a poverty rig you should be getting at least a 240GB one.

this thread reminds me of the "SSDs are a meme" meme from years ago it's a good throwback

I intended to do that but my gf has almost a tb of games and I have a decent amount, then I have lots of tiffs from astrophotography. and two 1 tb drives ain't cheap.

But what I'm gathering is about what u suggested, gunna get a 500gb drive, put windows, all programs, and fav games on it and rest on hdd

Yes they are absolutely required, I have been using an SSD since 2011 and the difference was huge back then, it's much bigger now we have nvme drives.

It might not help with games specifically but the entire computer is very disk reliant to do shit, once you've used an ssd then go back to an hdd the difference is night and day. If you're listening to the anti-ssd trolls you deserve to be cucked desu

What fucking planet do you live on? Because they must use different types of hard drives than what I've been using for the past 30 years.

is kingston a good quality ssd i wanna buy one 250gb

The thing that makes ssds so good for regular desktop usage isn't its read/write speeds but the random IO. While your hard drive has to take its time switching platters your computer slows down noticably while multitasking.

>i want to be that slow cunt loading into a multiplayer game while everyone waits for me because i've got ancient spinning platters

>games on hard drive
Have fun staring at loading screens forever. You would not believe how much better games are on SSDs.

Imagine if games placed hddcucks onto a separate queue, the user experience would improve tenfold instantly

Fpbp

I switched to ssds 8 years ago and never looked back. Apart from hdds in my nas I don’t use them anymore. I feel my life is less stressful now I don’t constantly hear those awful grinding noises while waiting for stuff to load.

see
i can wait 10 the seconds, perhaps the total 30 seconds will grant me the time i need for a glass of water or to take a piss

so youre telling me that if i got an ssd itd be a waste since someone with a hdd would slow me down anyway? thanks

Hey you do you man, if you're gonna base your purchasing decisions entirely off of your hatred of others go ahead, I feel smug knowing what you're subjecting yourself to as a result of my posts already anyway

A hundred couple megs a second read speeds can keep up with that easy. If a game has textures this huge that require constant disk swapping at the level you describe I'd put the game on my hard drive anyway

Maybe if you didn't ask retarded questions we wouldn't mock you with macros.

>Guys is a Ferrari faster than my Honda Jazz pls respond

fuck you, retard, coming here and asking retarded questions
>hurrr how is nvme ssd bettur

>nvme ssd
>argument is about texture loading in games
end your life
this is meant for work

>are SSD/ NVMe drives really required in a modern PC?
Yes.

/thread

>hurrr how is nvme ssd bettur
never asked that, retard
didnt ask that either, retard
youre legit, thank you, seriously
it was an example, go play in traffic
you literally just gave a reason why getting an ssd for multiplayer games is more pointless

Attached: lulz.gif (477x238, 622K)

If it's a workstation you sure as hell want reliable memory. So much crappy "high speed" ram out there that either flat out doesn't work or dies prematurely.

Just get the cheapest 16GB matched kit you can.

> are SSD/ NVMe drives really required in a modern PC?
No. They are actually quite strongly workarounds for primarily Windows-based bloat and user carelessness.

Oh sure, you can do work on computers where IOPS or throughput are essential or at least very time-saving, but of course most people aren't doing any of this.

If people ran Android or Linux only, things would be pretty fine overall with HDD.

>SDD for OS + any non-game programs and HDD for games+media
Correct, unless your hard drive is dogshit and you get issues like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=0eaXSppcONE
Some games are more sensitive towards those kind of issues than others. If you do experience those kind of issues, then put just the problematic game on the SSD as well.

how many points did we earn ?

I wasnt rude at all. But I consider these posts to be troll posts by now.

SSDs are literally millions of times faster than normal drives.

you won't lose all your data because some anachronic mechanical part broke down

today's SSDs are far more reliable and durable than any HDD could ever be

bullshit
had 2 SSDs die without warning already
no HDD died on me in the past 15 years

so you're in (vocal) minority

My company server just suddenly think it was a good idea to die when we did backup on it.
It wasn't nice at all.
Also have several personal hardisks died on me but it was on span of more than 10 years so I won't bring that up.

You can actually partition games using symlinks across multiple drives, I had Tekken 7 with the game content on an SSD, and the 27gb of cutscene video symlinked on a hard drive.

SSD aren't optional.

HDD are like tape backup now.

>implying nu-Jow Forums can even comprehend symlinks

Is just makes pc feel many times faster and snappier.

As for games it's faster but not that dramatically.

>what would be the best kind of things to put on them?
torrents

Just ordered a laptop with 256GB NVMe SSD. Should I buy another 256GB NVMe for $100 to fill one empty slot or buy a 3TB external hard drive for $70?

Attached: 1312881563937.png (186x186, 3K)

It works but there's some kind of delay/latency issue with that. In case of BF4 I would get micro-freezes during gameplay.

Really sucks that you can't enable readyboost for hdd when you also have ssd. eboostr would be even better but it doesn't work properly with win10 and is not updated anymore.

>Other than load times, installing software, and unzipping files what benefit do they show as all of these events are a minute part of the overall experience on a PC?
>Minute part

Install an SSD in your machine, use it for a week, then go back to spinning rust. You will hate yourself for being stupid enough to go back.

>Other than load times, installing software, and unzipping files what benefit do they show

You seriously have to ask this?

>Seek times
>Latency
>Massively increased speed, both in sequential and random operations, but ESPECIALLY random operations
>A tiny fraction of the power consumption of a mechanical hard drive even running at full tilt
>Therefore better battery life for laptops
>Shockproof
>Therefore more suited for use in laptops (if you drop your laptop with a mechanical drive in it and it doesn't park the head in midair before it hits the ground, say goodbye to the drive)
>Far longer write durability and lifetime assuming no manufacturing defects
>lightweight
>mSATA and M.2 SSDs are fucking TINY

Go consult Linus Tech Tips for answers to your dumbass questions. SSD boot drives should be mandatory in every computer on earth. The problem is that mindless zombie horde consumers like you are too fucking ignorant to notice or appreciate the difference.

Keep your drive from going into power save mode and the delay will probably be gone.

NVMe are overrated IMO. Yes, the sequential speed is nuts and all that, but what really elevates SSDs above HDDs is access times, and SATA SSDs have that just as well. I've bought a 960 Pro for my laptop and there's no discernible difference to the (SATA) 850 Pro in my desktop. It's all about access times, sequential is mostly a nonissue.

why are people still bumping this thread?

/a/ and Jow Forums like sequentials because it means they can transfer anime and linux distros to different disks faster. But you're right, IOPS and latency are where SSDs really shine.

>why are people still bumping this thread?
We like pointing and laughing at people asking stupid questions that shouldn't need answering.