Just grabbed this for free today, what do?

A guy at work was throwing away about 30 of these, I figured I'd grab one just to mess around with. It's missing a hard drive, (which I've replaced) and of course the inside was a fucking nightmare of dust, but other than that it seems to be in good condition.

Anything you'd recommend doing or messing around with?

Attached: 20180509_203630.jpg (1280x720, 327K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension#3xxx_and_5xxx_series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give it back, Jamal.

>Pentium 4
Did you know this before you took it?

Yes, I wasn't grabbing it because of it's computing power that's for fucking sure, I already have a workstation build for that.

Those are literally garbage. They're not worth the electricity they consume. Anything that machine could run would probably run on a computer the size of a credit card just as well.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension#3xxx_and_5xxx_series

>pentium 4
Yuck, put it back where it belongs(in the trash, that is).

Update the BIOS
Clean the fans
Get an older c-media PCI sound card and plug it in
Install Win 98SE for muh retro gaymes
Alternative: get a shitty PCI GPU and install XP to have a really shitty mid 2000s pc

Thanks for saving me the time I would've spent messing around with it user

Another thing I picked up, keep or chunk?

Attached: 20180509_205309.jpg (1280x720, 348K)

Attached: 20180509_205320.jpg (1280x720, 360K)

Attached: 20180509_205331.jpg (1280x720, 352K)

All of those machines are garbage, user. You could probably install a lightweight linux distro or something, but they would struggle to even play back 480p video without a dedicated GPU.

kek.
why you should keep this? A museum? Those are bloated as fuck and slow. Wouldn't keep them.

Yeah it would have no problem running without a GUI but a single core processor these days are worth more as a keychain. $50-60 arm boards have a quad core 2 Ghz 2 GB RAM with a much better GPU.

A 9800XT or a 7800GTX would fit the 3000 series well enough to play generation specific games and emulation PSX or older.

What's that? A laptop?

It only has PCI slots, no PCIe or AGP

Windows XP retrogayming rig

You could run a shitty NAS, or a home server with it, but to be honest a Raspberry pi 3 would probably blow it out of the water and considering the $35 price tag and difference in power consumed it'd be a billion times worth it to get the pi3.

Only keep it if your entry level early 2000s computing nostalgia is hot and heavy.

My 2.6 GHz Northwood non-HT P4 could do 720p24 h264 with integrated 845G graphics
They aren't as slow as the shit reputation implies

Just keep in mind these chips are huge electricity hogs, other than that it could be a fun test bed for linux if you're not familiar

I've got one of these behind my sofa that I keep meaning to hook up. It'll do fuck all for fun. Install Gentoo, fuck around with making it a painful home server, stick Windows 95 on it, and then chuck it out the window.

mine nimiq

>clean
>install linux
>give away to some poor school or asylum.