Chrome OS now supports Linux in a VM

zdnet.com/article/linux-comes-to-chromebooks/

why is no one talking about this? chromebooks are literally going to be one of the most Jow Forums devices possible
>based off gentoo
>can use android apps
>can run anything linux in a specially made VM
>normally cheap

the only thing against it being the most Jow Forums device ever really is the Google part of it,

Attached: samsung-chromebook-pro-18[1].jpg (770x433, 51K)

>Gentoo now supports Debian in VM
WOOHOO

This is literally what went in my mind.
Who the hell cares? Chromebooks are consumer centric devices. If you're a developer, and you're really that strapped for cash get some Windows laptop and put Linux on it like s normal person.

Why does it need a VM

Despite being absolute second tier hardware, you can put Linux on Chromebooks, like Google did, too.

Because ChromeOS is locked down and meant for consumers.
Ya by using bullshit custom bootloader's and having to manually select when you want to run Linux.

Cant flint os (chromium os fork) already do that?

Or you can use crouton, which is a little harder than what google is doing but it seems to run a lot better. But it still encourages linux development so of course Google has to shut that down.

>breaks if you pick it up wrong
>Bootloaders are a hunk of junk that just do whatever they feel like would make it harder for the end user to install custom stuff. Lmao ARM.

Nah, I'll stick with old lenovo tops.

>running GNU/Linux on a literal botnet
Might as well run fucking Ubuntu in Win10 if you want a horrible botnet version of GNU/Linux

>based off gentoo
wrong
>can use android apps
is that a good thing
>can run anything liGNUx in a specially made VM
this isn't difficult, google just made it difficult and made it look like a milestone
>normally cheap
price/performance ratio is shit tier though.
if you're using a chromebook for VMs, expect issues if it literally depends on an SD card for storage and a shit amount of ram

Chromebooks have coreboot support first class though

Pixelbooks are locked down all to hell and back.

>Jow Forums still locked in to the thinkpad meme instead of progressing and using chromebooks

Attached: 1499662170293.jpg (600x500, 36K)

>>based off gentoo
>wrong
no u. It's true, ChromeOS and ChromiumOS are based off Gentoo and actually make use of the Portage system.

I don't understand, isn't chromeOS is just a gentoo with custom DE?
That's made for low end hardware, why would you want it to run a GNU/Linux VM?

Despite what a small vocal minority says, Jow Forumsoogle is a great engineering company and pioneers in interface design. Jow Forumsoogle will save desktop Linux, a job that no one else could do.

why the fuck would u leave chrome is, delete it and install galliumos

can I use the computing power of the google botnet for my machine learning algorithms ? if so that would be pretty sweet.

>based off gentoo
browser computer
>can use android apps
most models don't and if its broken
>can run anything linux
one model can and other will follow in 2046
>normally cheap
VPS costs 5 bucks per month with full linux SSH
>Google part of it
who cares NSA is spying on you anyway

Attached: Screenshot 2018-05-10 at 5.01.44 AM.png (1366x768, 221K)

needs to run on dev mode which pretty much fucks up the whole OS verification mode

I already run Debian on crouton? Why would I want this?

I love Jow Forumsoogle

is there a Chrome OS image to install?

>what are containers

Botnet OS

>the only thing against it being the most Jow Forums device ever really is the Google part of it,
The "only"??? It's the biggest thing and a total dealbreaker. Who wants to use devices made by an advertising company that makes money off selling your information!?