Where do I event start

26 years old law student wanting to switch to programming.

I hate everything about my life right now, I want to make videogames, but I'm clueless as I have no idea what to do.

I'm planning on switching to a Computer Science major but looking at the program I'll be pretty much only having math classes for a big while... and the next semester starts in 3 months anyway.

So, what's the first step? Maybe this isn't for me too and I should just kill myself.

Attached: dasdsa.png (400x400, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lowe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Suit_Larry
theverge.com/2014/12/9/7358111/barack-obama-coding
mega.nz/#F!jUomwJ5Y!G07jMygniMMzFh-mLyKNGA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compilers:_Principles,_Techniques,_and_Tools
tutorial.math.lamar.edu
uicvgame.ui.ac.ir/Mathematics and Physics/Kodicek D., Flynt J. P., Mathematics and Physics for Programmers, 2nd Edition, 2012.pdf
love2d.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why be this

Attached: Richard_Hendricks.jpg (450x450, 42K)

Start by spelling even correctly

Khan Academy for math (I think it's fine up to Calc I, after that you better hit the books)

When you can be this

Attached: suits_cast_harvey.jpg (629x720, 56K)

>make videogames
>math

Attached: CsKyrj6XYAAKocT.jpg (600x1200, 103K)

Sorry, I'm brazilian my english sucks a bit.

Will give it a look, thanks.

i-is law fun?

Attached: Jibriru.jpg (600x550, 55K)

law student wanting to make video games

Attached: Screenshot 2018-05-10 at 5.23.37 AM.png (666x237, 48K)

Just go slowly step by step
And if you aren't progressing, get a new hobby

>I want to make videogames
Stopped reading right there.

Computer Science is math. Writing programs that aren't garbage is math. It's all math.

I'm a NEET pretty much, I don't give a shit about money as I barely leave the house or have any social contact whatsoever. Plus I doubt I would ever be able to finish this shit anyway, still like 4 more years of straight up torture.

See above.

That`s the plan.

I reaaaally like game mastering tabletop RPGs, creating worlds, fleshing out the mechanics and so on, I figure it would be the same for videogames if I had the programming skills to even make one.

Law once you are over the technicalities of it takes people skills.
Computer shit takes autism which is the opposite of people skills.
Too many chinks and poos as competition for you, also lots of the shit can be automatized so you are asking for the wrong career, also if you weren't into tech deeply for years no way you can catch up with it, by the time you learn what you missed out on it's already obsolete.

CS major is 90% math algorithms and theory, 10% programming at my Uni. And by that I mean I mean multi dimensional algebra, linear algebra, statistics, propositional & first order logic, numeric, satisfiability, computability, etc.

They use the math classes in the first 2-4 semester to weed out the not so promising students.

>I don't give a shit about money
privileged rich kid detected

So I shouldn`t even care about learning any actual basic programming for now and just focus on math?

Maybe I`ll just do that then.

Well, that`s what I`m afraid of, I might be too old to start now...

I am the biggest autist ever tho, so maybe there`s a chance.

Sounds good to me, I like math.

I am, my parents make like $20k a month in a country where the average salary is like not even $1k.

>Well, that`s what I`m afraid of, I might be too old to start now...
Al Lowe, a game designer & programmer, start learning programming in 1982. He was born in 1946. He was 36 when he decided to start programming.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lowe

He was a music teacher before he started programming.

This guy doesn't have the wrong idea, you may want to consider a course. CS is overkill but will give you more options.

damn, pretty inspiring

He's best known for his Leisure Suit Larry series.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Suit_Larry

Attached: larry.jpg (194x259, 8K)

Stik?

If you want to go into game development, linear algebra is core. If you want to do stuff in graphics, add numerical methods to that, usually universities have specific computer graphics / computer vision style classes which apply numerical methods and number theory, but you should look at those after you know a basic amount of programming. If you want to get ahead before you start, i'd recommend this:
>Brush up on calculus
despite 80% of people in comp sci being mediocre in calculus, it really helps to be good at it. Calculus isn't that hard if you really sit down and learn it, it's just that most people stop wanting to work the second they see an integral symbol
>Linear algebra
This is key for computer science in general (except web development I guess) and especially computer graphics. You don't need to go super deep, but having basic knowledge of matrix manipulation, follow some introductory book and stop at Eigen values if you don't enjoy it because 90% of your use will do with stuff you learn before Eigen values.
> Theoretical computer science
I have a set of (in my opinion) pretty good slides for theoretical computer science if you want them, honestly this is a class people struggle with a lot. It's mostly theory so you're not going to apply it directly, you don't need this to be a good programmer, but you definitely need it to be an excellent programmer.
>Basic programming
Programming is also just fun, and it never hurts to look at it before classes. Most likely your university will teach you java or C++ as a first language, I would check their syllabus and see what they do then just get a book. Don't get any book, make sure to do your research into what is considered "THE" book for that language.
> Combinatorics and number theory
Now you're getting to interesting stuff. You mentioned you like maths so I'm adding these here, they are the core of what the maths side of comp sci is about, combinatorics especially, and it's also fun maths.

Download Unity and start messing around. Follow their free learn projects and get a feel if it's right for you. Don't go balls deep without getting your feet wet.

Learning C# first before messing with Unity. I've seen many retarded questions in stackoverflow because newbies don't understand basic C# concept.

Thanks man, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I`m already getting my old math books ready so I can get to a basic level in the next days or weeks before starting to work on more advanced stuff that I haven`t had in high school before.

>having 0 experience at 26
rip

I'd like the slides too, I'm not OP, but I'm in a similar boat

Happy to help, I'm making coffee but will post the theoretical comp sci slides after.

what if I'm 23? Does making hello world in c++ counts as experience?

Attached: index.jpg (234x215, 8K)

Game development is a brutal market where marketing is way harder than making a game. It's also pretty low pay with long hours

Imagine if you released Leisure Suit Larry today. It'd cause a shitstorm.

You really don't need to know math that well when making vidya. Just some pretty basic shit is enough.

Of course. Obama wrote his first (and maybe his last) code when he's over 50. It was a moveForward(100) in Blocky.

theverge.com/2014/12/9/7358111/barack-obama-coding

Shitstorm? What do you mean?
FYI, Al Lowe remade the first LSL game a few years ago. It's called Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded. Pretty good for an old fan like me.

26!?
you should reconsider your life choices man.
John Carmack had already coded the Doom engine by its own and released several games in his early 20s.

I honestly disagree with this. I mean if you don't give a fuck, sure, but if you're genuinely interested in comp sci, knowing maths and wanting to learn / use maths is really something that makes life easier. Everyone is obsessed with having everything being easy and quick to learn, but stopping for a few weeks or months just to understand calculus or elementary numerical methods really pays off down the line. People should stop wanting to get through some 5 month bootcamp just to call themselves a full stack programmer despite the fact that they don't know any theoretical computer science. It's not bad to struggle learning something, it's good. Nothing comes like that to everyone, otherwise everyone would be grade A software engineers.

John Carmack is based programmer. Don't look up too high.

at this point you should just become a webdev

I completely agree with this user. you should know at least finite maths if not calc or discrete maths

I mean have pretty shitty lives and personalities, wouldn't want to be either

ok uploading the slides. Slow internet because I live in /quebec/

it will be uploaded here:

mega.nz/#F!jUomwJ5Y!G07jMygniMMzFh-mLyKNGA

the first slide goes over basics in discrete mathematics. If you don't understand something, I uploaded a book that teaches you that, for the slides you only need chapters 1-2, for comp sci in general you only need chapters 1-4 (maybe 5 and 9 for recursion). Good luck.

thanks!

>comic sans

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but thank you very much

you can upload pdfs on

Write programs in C#.

yeah man, but if you get past it it's honestly pretty good.

good to know for next time.

Dude, that's automata stuff. Pretty deep. I got C.

it's never too late user.
Also switch to CS and in the meantime do cs50!!!

Look up pauls online math notes. He has stuff for the entire calc series. You can also try searching for Patrick JMT for more examples. He goes through problems step by step and usually explains his thought process and approach

>Dude, that's automata stuff. Pretty deep. I got C.
A, get rekt. But my prof was really good.

My prof was absent almost all the time. It's like once a month he attended the class. I got C because of it. Had to study that Cinderella book alone.

I got an A in Compiler, a next subject from Automata. It's easier since it's a subset of Automata.

Attached: cinderella_book.jpg (220x317, 28K)

thanks

Attached: 1506871586585.webm (720x1280, 1.29M)

Which book did you take for compiler? I'm taking that next winter

I recommend the Dragon book.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compilers:_Principles,_Techniques,_and_Tools

The automata & compiler has some cool nickname for their books :D

Attached: dragon_book.jpg (220x333, 22K)

for code learning
>codeacademy
>w3schools
ide's (program to code)
>vs studio (c#,c++,all windows and some linux >stuff)

>eclipse(android ,.java portable stuff)

for gaming coding
>unity
>unreal
>vs studio too

3d rendering and modeling
>blender (what i use)

text ide
>notepad++
>or just notepad

for hacking pentesting,code analize,forensics and more
>linux os kali linux or some related use google

>..uma delicia

Jeffrey Ullman is one of the author of both books. He's Da Man in automata & compiler study.

Thank you user. I'm about to start cs in digipen. Heard it is a tough program. This is going to help a lot.

well GTA V has some spicey moments

Its never too late. You won't be as good as top tier programmers and that's fine. Use Khan academy to figure out your math level, tutorial.math.lamar.edu is a great supplement with any standard calc textbook. Also check out Calculus An intuitive approach by Kline. It's by dover publishing so it'll run you $20 on amazon.

Others have suggested C# and unity, which is fine since making some small games gives you a tangible outcome which helps motivate you when starting out.

OP are you me

kek, lawyer is easymodo, user. Stay doing law and make sick ass algorithms o prove guilty or innocent scenarios.

Do not change careers, apply programming to your job and be better than the others ones. There must be a task that you hate in your actual job that you can make it easy with some scripting magic.

>hates lawyers pretty shitty lives and personalities
>want to get into programming

lol, you are going to get a reality check when you see your fellow programmers.

t. Someone who's never been in law

Give me your idea for a game. If it's worthy I'll help you.

dude all the programmers I know that work for games companies were programming long before they left school let alone got into it as an afterthought at university. Programming isnt something the best of them do for a living. It is something they do because they cannot imagine not doing it. I was programming competently by the age of 15. I started when I was 11, and these days even that is quite old to start if you are serious about programming. I am now working fixing networking problems that others cannot fix. When a company has tried several companies and they failed to fix it, somehow they find me and get enlightened about what the fuck is really killing their business. I tried giving all that up to do carpentry and wanted to become a craftsman at it but again there are people who have been doing that since they were little kids. I went back into computers after a year

Are you a woman or at least recognize yourself as one?
Is your family of black descendants?
What is your sexual orientation, anything other than heterosexual?

If you answer YES to these questions, than go ahead and become a programmer, if not, you should stay on the law career.
Thanks for listening.

I disagree. First of all let's make a distinction between engine programming and game programming. OP clearly said he wants to do game programming, which does not involve any math heavy topics such as raytracing, physics, matrices, or anything like that. If you're into engine development, sure go for it.

But making games is mostly about problem solving and OOP. Look at the indie developers who made it, notch, hopoo, toby fox, mcmillen. Not a single one of them is good at math. It just doesn't matter because you have access to engines that do all the heavy lifting for you.

game design protip: pay dumbos to program for you. and for god's sake don't let them anywhere near design.

hth

>Not a single one of them is good at math.
John Carmack

>he actually wants to become a code monkey

Attached: 1523888736033.jpg (1920x1080, 96K)

Carmack worked in both the engine and the game. He’s a special individual. I’m not sure if there’s just one person like him in the world right now. Engine/library development and game development don’t seem to go hand in hand

idk why you cs fags try to flex with discrete math and fucking toc shit. i'm not much of a programmer, as i majored in math and toc was one of the few cs classes that i did take. i found it interesting, but nothing really more than that. discrete math is like babies first proof, and it has very little to do with programming.

>I want to make videogames, but I'm clueless as I have no idea what to do.
you and millions of teenagers, tough luck

The programmer market is over saturated and the big companies are hiring Asian.

You missed the boat by a few decades.

I was a med student, yes, as in Medical School.
My love was always programming, heart not in medicine. Now in Comp Sci.
Do I regret it?
Yes, should have at least finished MD, would have opened more doors.
Do I still love programming over medicine?
You better believe it.
Endocrinology and programming kind of similar.

Attached: 1508374444543.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

people always spout this without considering the other markets. The programmer market is over saturated... ok, compared to what?! Not to the attorney market that's for sure.

>law student

don't bother m8, years and years of endless rote memorization of factoids and relentless pimping via socratic method teaching have eliminated any semblance of creativity your mind could possibly muster

> 26 years old
too late but not impossible at all

are you me? 4th year med student here, been a programmer since I was 14 years old. whenever I can't take it anymore I just program some random stuff and personal projects and it makes me really excited.

life fucking sucks, I fucking hate fucking everything, especially ob/gyn and pediatrics and they fucking force this shit down my throat regardless of whether I want it or not. these tests murder me, I can't muster the concentration to memorize this pediatric dosage crap. I've been diagnosed with ADHD but I don't want to treat myself due to cardiovascular risk of amphetamines. I love neuroloy but im getting really burned out with these work. now I just want to into radiology or pathology or any high-tech branch of medicine. I wish there was some kind of medical informatics specialty for me to join

>Endocrinology and programming

holy shit I always thought the exact same thing. the endocrine system looks like reactive, event-based programming to me. drawing parallels with computer science always helped me grok med school subjects and instantly made an exceedingly boring subject interesting. biochemistry looks like processing pipelines: enzyme1 | enzyme2 | enzyme3 ...

oh boy see

>HUR DURRR YOU GOTTA LEARN MATH TO DO A GAME OR IT WILL HAVE NO SUCCESS

Attached: Finalfeliz.png (640x480, 13K)

are you dumb? games have literal physics simulations embedded in them. how the fuck are you going to make a game if you don't even know basic kinematics? or linear algebra? 2D games are easy, try 3D math brainlet

There are things called engines that make that for you dumbass

>just use an engine
>it will solve everything

it won't cure your brainletism

Attached: maxtard.jpg (480x360, 18K)

engine developers don't make games, they make engines

This is barebone book about build games.
Since high school mathematics, geometry,physics,2D,3D basic IA.

uicvgame.ui.ac.ir/Mathematics and Physics/Kodicek D., Flynt J. P., Mathematics and Physics for Programmers, 2nd Edition, 2012.pdf

Usually a lot more complex material will be in university for begin game programming, but today easy videogames begin 7 to 10 more graphics design,animators,sound.

Make tiny games as practice use easy 2D engine love2d.org .

I remember some biggest mobile videogames in Latinoamerica begin Brazil’s clone dumb games using cheap labor graphics designers.

You could just prototype and mananger developers.

>muh 3d gaymes
Yikes.

Oh god, imagine being this dumb, user was talking about success faggt

Why? Lawyers make good dough. Lots don't even gotta go to court.

OP thinks being a lawyer is easy mode. Since his parents are rich, he wants some challenge in his life. Even if he quits halfway, he can inherit his parents money and live easy mode for the rest of his life.

It's too late. You're 26 and haven't finished a degree. Go finish your law degree or kill yourself. Pic related: it's you.

Attached: just.jpg (728x587, 64K)

Why even make video games when you can sit on your ass like twitchtv/ninja and literally rake in $500K a month playing video games?

Because 99.999% of people aren't able to do that. That guy was at the right place at the right time and was charismatic enough to pull it off. He's like the pewdiepie of twitch.

I'm 28, started 26. Being a bit older with life experience let me focus and learn much faster than my younger friends. Out of school I was one of the few that got a job right away, many couldn't find work in our area. Shortly after I got head hunted for a second better job.
Oh, just Dev in general not video games btw