*click*

*click*
*vvvVVRRRRRR*
How the FUCK do I make my PSU and videocard fans more quiet?

Attached: psu_1280.jpg (1280x1171, 268K)

Try to open your PSU and take a look if there is something there which is making noise, if not I think you have to buy a new one.. About the videocard cant help sry

It's called "not buying absolute trash hardware" user.
My PSU's fan never even has to turn on and my GPU's fans only turn on under load.
Git fucking gud.
Get on /pcbg/ if you want to git gud.
But I guess you can also tweak your graphics card's fan curve on afterburner. You will get less performance, though.

They've been dissassembled, cleaned, and fans - lubricated. I don't know what to do, buy better fans? Glue foam inbetween the fans and the frame?

don't reattach the side of your tower

Just stop buying trash hardware user.

So what, I throw this entire PSU out? Come on now it's just a fan issue.

Unless this problem only started occuring with this power supply recently (which I doubt) then no it's not "just a fan issue". It's loud because it needs to spin fast to cool your shitty PSU's shitty components that you're clearly overtaxing.
Again, my power supply's fan never even needs to turn on and I only paid a hundred bucks for it, so you did something very wrong.

It's a 6 year old PSU rated 150W above my rig's max.

Ooooh I see. So the problem is that you're retarded.
You don't understand how part degradation works. After 6 fucking years no your power supply is most certainly not rated at 150 watts over your max anymore. In other words it's overheating.
In other words it's definitely not a fucking fan issue.
You're not supposed to use a power supply for much longer than its warranty period especially if you're a heavy user. Replace it now or risk it frying itself and taking your parts with it.

What make and model?
>inb4 generic Chinese company Nr.739423645 "650W"

Nice repeating digits.
And no chink power supply would even last 6 years you silly.

Some chieftec 500W PSU.
So what, I replace the overheating components? I mean I do hobby electronics but never examined a desktop PSU.

>taiwan
>not part of china

You would be surprised, in fact they usually work well unless you "overload" them by expecting them to actually be able to deliver the rated W.
Big problem is generally that when they fail they fail spectacularly.

>chieftec 500W
Probably a rebrand, can be just about anything, hard to tell without a actual model number or info on who made it.

>chieftec
christ it really is a wonder it made it this long
No, dumby, you just replace it with something decent.
Like SeaSonic.
The overheating components are likely EVERY SINGLE CAPACITOR IN THE DAMN THING.

reeeeee get out filthy mainlander the ROC is free!

I don't have a picture of it right now but it was built in a store, not ordered from random websites.
I'd rather spend $10 on components than $100 on a new PSU... If it's just caps, god bless.

Well have fun soldering then I guess. People get their kicks in all sorts of ways I don't understand and don't want to.
But you better hope you can still find the exact same components and that it won't blow up in your face.

You'd be surprised. $40 PSU with custom Panasonic caps will still be more reliable than $100 with chong-x ones.

>christ it really is a wonder it made it this long
>Like SeaSonic.
lol seasonic used to make PSUs for chieftec rebrands
But yeah, unless it is one of the Seasonic/FSP/CWT (If that is the case it's old as fuck and should be replaced as soon as possible anyway) rebrand chieftechs throw it as far away from your machine as possible before it takes the rest of the components with it.

>it was built in a store
100% confirmed bargain bin rebrand or old surplus stock.

dip them in mineral oil

>100% confirmed bargain bin rebrand or old surplus stock.
Or Frankenstein-built PSU.

Laugh as you want but I gave one away. Crappy Sun Pro casing which housed a recapped solid as all fucking hell CWT ISO, complete with 24 pin and SATA, ready for a good low end - mid end machine.

Yeah. I know. Hence why I chose an FSP-built 650 watt 80+ gold corsair unit. All solid, japanese caps. 10 year warranty. Pretty decent deal considering it's full modular I'd say.

Yup.

Put your pc inside a refrigerator.

Replace the fans or spend a bit more on hardware doing well in tests concerning sound level in the first place.

How do I choose a good fan?

I miss the days when 90% of all OEM power supplies were made by either FSP, Seasonic or CWT and you could pick them up by the hundreds used or old stock spares being sold for next to nothing.

>not using hybrid/passive cooled PSUs with 200W more than your build requires so the fans are never needed and to future-proof your build
you fucked up

Posting my PSU here... EVGA 650W. It's somewhat loud but how would I suppress this shit? Sound proof foam?

Attached: 17-438-026-16.jpg (640x480, 43K)

>Sound proof foam?
Just fill the whole thing with quick set expanding foam and it will be nice and quiet.
Until it catches fire and/or explodes at least.

Fine, will post results when my ears get burned off.

This thread is filled with absolute retardation. Here is what you need to do OP.
>PSU
Take it out of the PC. Open it up. Find the fan size dimensions. Shop at a website like newegg that allows shopping by fans according to size and db sound rating. By the quietest fans that will fit. Install these fans in the power supply. Either cut and solder the wires into the power supply or just run them out the case and hook the back to the power supply the same as if they were case fans.
>videocard
Replace that pile of wirrrrrrring shit with a fanless card.

>Either cut and solder the wires into the power supply or just run them out the case and hook the back to the power supply the same as if they were case fans.
Just to clarify I mean to run the wires out the power supply case and hook them to the aux power supply leads all within the PC case.

Great tips. Can I just replace the vacuum cleaner engines on my videocard with custom fans?

he lubricates the fans lol

Yes, yes you can. Pic related is an RX 480 I replaced the fans on. You just have to measure the old fans and hack up some new ones.

Note the 50mm fractal fans in pic related are 3 pin and thus have no speed control, they spin at 100% no matter what.

Attached: AD5FA104-0A8D-4133-80DC-FFEF1A0AEA25.jpg (4032x3024, 2.11M)

All of my fans have rubber "O"-ring washers between the fan and the case. This takes all the vibration ot of them and makes the rig pretty much silent

Can I not just go full niggerlicious and add a few resistors in parallel?

If they 12volt fans you can hook them to the 5volt aux on the PC power supply. Undervolting them will cause them to spin slow and quiet. Not sure I would recommend this for video card fans but it works great for case fans.

Semi-passive high watt rated PSU.You'll never hear your PSU again.

Buy the new AX1600i

Sure could. I think you mean series, though. I even thought of adding a low speed switch, but I’m afraid I would forget to set it to high and melt my graphics card.

The fans are fairly quiet. They make way less noise than the old ones did under load, but they dont turn off when idle like the old ones did so that’s the trade off. Assuming you can find PWM fans of the right size, this shouldn’t matter.

meme silent case

Buy No-Fan® Fanless™ stuff. Although I've never seen a case with as many fan fittings as theirs, go figure.

I think series would just overload the first resistor to failure as opposed to an even spread of current on a parallel connection.

Doesn`t the overall design of the PCB matter just as much, if not more than whatever components it uses?

Attached: corsair-gs800-psu_inside[1].jpg (1024x683, 172K)

No, switch mode power supplies are all about the signal frequency and filtering (caps, inductors + transistors). The rest is just safety features and cooling.

> The rest is just safety features

Sounds kinda important, no?

If it fails, you blow a fuse, done. If your filtering components fail, you overvolt whatever's at the output.

Take out the fan from the PSU

I paid money for it so now I have to use it even if it's loud

Get rid of the fan, if it still makes noise jam the empty space where the fan was with a rag or cotton balls.

I found EVGA PSUs to be reliable but only suitable for mining rigs. Next time check the Lambda certification before you buy

Turn it off.

This. Read reviews, buy things that are quiet. There's usually not even a tradeoff involved, you just have to know what to buy.

You don’t sound like you know how ohm’s law works.

Adding a resistor in parallel would just cause that resistor to heat up and change nothing on the fan’s current draw.

The series resistor and the fan would form a voltage divider, reducing the drop across the fan in proportion to the value of the resistor, as well as limiting current.

You’re an idiot.

Just get a fully passive PSU if you are noise sensitive.

Attached: prime-600-fanless-tl-ac-side.jpg (1600x1200, 246K)

I got one of those bad boys. Platinum rated, 90% efficiency, needs no fan. Coupled with noctuas. Loudest part of my PC now are HDD's.