/CentOS/ - 7.5 Release!

Tired of rebooting every other day? Want to set up your configuration and not have to touch it for months or years at a time? Try the new 7.5 release today!
wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7.1804

Is your package not available in the standard or epel repositories? Learn how to easily build rpms from spec files!
wiki.centos.org/HowTos/RebuildSRPM

Find almost any source package you need in the fedora distribution and it will almost always build for CentOS!
dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/28/Everything/source/tree/Packages/

Attached: 1501949638729.png (1000x1000, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/7.5_release_notes/
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/7.5_release_notes/#new_features_desktop
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am a long time user of Ubuntu and other deb oriented distros. I am using Fedora for a few weeks, how is it CentOS as a server distro? Better than Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable? Easy to configure?

Here's a rough minimal install guide to get you started with a basic GNOME desktop.
-install the minimal image either from the minimal iso or the dvd iso
-add your user to the wheel group while installing, so you have sudo ready
-reboot

-if you aren't using ssh, you probably want to stop this service unless you want every botnet on the planet trying to constantly log into your system
systemctl stop sshd.service
systemctl disable sshd.service
yum autoremove openssh-clients openssh-server

-list the installed packages from the minimal group
yum group info core
yum autoremove any of the Default ones you won't use
-use iwl*-firmware to get rid of all the intel wireless firmware at once

-if you don't need a fancy bootsplash
yum autoremove plymouth

-if you won't be using certain filesystems
yum autoremove e2fsprogs xfsprogs or btrfs-progs

yum install xorg-x11-server-Xorg gnome-shell gnome-session-xsession gnome-terminal nautilus gnome-tweak-tool
systemctl set-default graphical.target

I think you will still need some graphics drivers, so here are 2 options.
1) the true minimal option, use yum search xorg-x11-drv and find what you need
2) The easy group install with a small adjustment so only the minimal necessary is installed.
-edit /etc/yum.conf (vi is installed)
-add group_package_types=mandatory
yum group install x11

reboot

If the GDM login doesn't show up, you may also need to do:
systemctl enable gdm.service
I don't know if the graphical.target earlier takes care of this or not.

It should be great. It's essentially Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is widely used. Any configuration or other problems will likely be answered somewhere online.

>never upgrade your distro again, because we have no mechanism that makes it possible!

been on CentOS for a year now, just because it's the only one that solved my overheating laptop problem and i'm afraid to change because i don't even remember what i did to solve the problem.

i have only one thing to say, Yum sucks !

It's very easy and problem free. sudo yum update would have taken you directly from the 7.4 to the 7.5 release. Unless you mean something like CentOS 6 to 7. Then you might have to bite the bullet. CentOS 7 is not eol until 2024, so you could put it off for 6 years or so.

Upgrading some of my machines as we speak.
CentOS is fucking great.

great, I will check it out

Changelog?

I would use this.
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/7.5_release_notes/

I would use this.
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/7.5_release_notes/#new_features_desktop

oops, please ignore the #new_features_desktop anchor

>Tired of rebooting every other day?
???

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 11.28.23 AM.png (1132x548, 367K)

>how is it CentOS as a server distro
- It's got SELinux configured out of the box
- The kernel is ancient even compared to Debian Stable, with some backports
- The packages are older and fewer
- RPM is saner and easier to work with than DEB
- Daemons thankfully aren't started automatically when installed
- Very long term support
- Yum is slow. Fedora's dnf is much faster, but not available until CentOS 8
- It's the OS for OpenVZ containers
- It is also the OS for proprietary Linux packages like cPanel
>Better than Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable?
Overall: pick your poison.

CentOS
The deprecated Fedora

This was fast. I remember they took like 1 month to release the 7.4 version last year. Why is this?

I used CentOS a few months on a secundary computer, the experience was way excellent: rock solid, well documented and it just works like in auto mode.

Attached: Vx9UcJu.jpg (1200x1800, 245K)

having the latest kernels is necessary for a server?

As long as you get security updates, no, it isn't necessary, but it can be useful. It depends on what you want to do, really.

Red Hat/CentOS basically have custom kernels because they backport so much security stuff into them.

>running a Fedora derivative
>not Qubes OS