What's the worst advice Jow Forums has ever given you?

What's the worst advice Jow Forums has ever given you?

Attached: box_with_feet.jpg (500x375, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>install gentoo

This but unironically, such a shitty distro.

>install arch, it's so useful and stable! Pacman is the best package manager after all!
lies

Attached: 1521171963769.png (658x662, 43K)

Well some years ago I was advised to get an ITX board because anything larger was bloat and a waste. It was a limiting pain in my ass almost immediately and I kept looking for a way to use that damned thing and it proved inadequate to every task I put it to.

Attached: only dumb bakas get in this box.png (567x748, 328K)

fell for the mech keyboard meme, it's nice and all but not quite worth the $$$

In 2007, I asked Jow Forums to build a $600 setup for me. Motherfuckers came up with a list of parts so good that everything still works today. I can't justify replacing this ancient heap because it's all perfectly serviceable, even the awful washed out 1024x768 display. I'll probably be stuck using this damn thing another decade.

>install Linux on your desktop
What a mistake that was.
And no I don't use W10 shit, W7 is easily the best consumer OS atm.

>meme
My Mech keyboard has lasted me years so it's not like it's a massive money investment, and the feeling of typing on a mech is entirely different than a shitty scissor-switch (these are the worst) or a membrane.
I could never go back and the rare time I type on a laptop keyboard it's almost painful.

this
typing on any other keyboard now drives me nuts
i had to get one for my workstation as well

I saw the Deathadder Chroma on a perfect sensor list and bought one, then months later I heard of a Deathadder with the latest and greatest sensor (better than previous models, including mine), that apparently a logitech mouse has had the whole time.

specs?

buying the original moto g long after it was dated

works fine with me

Lies! Gentoo is the best distro I've ever used.
But it is.
>downgrading a botnet makes it better
Stay pleb, stay on winshit.

Attached: 1525869820634.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

i guess you bought into razer's snake oil :^)

Lineage OS
>battery now works 1/3 less as it used to

No, it still has a fairly sensitive click. Every time I call it heavy, someone claims it's light. It's such bullshit, since it's not a claw grip mouse at all, I don't know why faggots think it's inappropriate to call it heavy.

What I bought into was the perfect sensor list I saw. I don't even think it was just the one- it was just that they were still being reposted without telling me there were tiers of perfect sensors. The lists I saw were ranking mice based on price range, and features, maybe downsides too. Though the infamous double click issue for Razer mice, I heard that so many times elsewhere that if it was ever included on such a list, I didn't need it, and don't remember it.

too bad i'm not with you

>installs LineageOS
>baterry lasts around 30 minutes more

Attached: 1523553123004.jpg (480x558, 89K)

lasting long is not really an argument, since my cheap ass keyboard has lasted me years too. I never had a mech keyboard but have typed in one for a day, I get it it is much nicer, but I still agree with user, if you can find a comfortable membrane keyboard, a mech one might not be worthy.
Not against people who have it though

Dell U2410s

Have you tried using conventional keyboards lately? After going mech, any 'normal' keyboard feels weird, like as if they were too light.

Got a cherry Mx red, ozone brown switch and my x200. All three are fine.

>downgrading.
A stupid weeb, like clockwork.
BTW I find Linux interesting and useful but not as my main day-to-day desktop.
Laptop though.

That's a bug, expect Pajeet to patch it out soon.

Probably because you're a brainlet and you can't use a real OS. GNU/Linux is not for retarded people. Enjoy your bloatware.

Sometimes I type on conventional keyboards on purpose just so I can come back to my mech and be amazed at how much better it is.

>brainlet
>appreciate Linux
>also enjoy W7
Ironic that you call me a brainlet when all you do is probably use Linux/GNU , watch anime frequently, shitpost here, and think you're some sort of genius or special snowflake.
Jeez the NEET meme is real.

Yeah, sure, and you're better than me?
Are you a cool guy just because you use that ancient system for retards who think they are smart and different for not using Windows 10? Let me guess, muh gaymes, muh 60000+ fps on roblox.

I unironically use Gentoo and it's the comfiest distro I've ever tried.
>it's so useful
If you want a distro that doens't force a config on you (apart from systemd + GNU, of course), then Arch is suits that use care very well.
>it's so stable
the only people who parrot the arch is unstable meme are ubuntu and red hat shills
>pacman is the best package manager
better than apt-get
>W7 is easily the best consumer OS atm
>proprietary
>modern CPUs don't receive security updates
>have to hunt down all the software you need on the internet and hope you don't accidentally install malware while doing it
I bought a no-name kailh switch keyboard for $50 and it's lasted a couple of years. the switches actually feel better than cherry switches.
cherry switches are the real meme

>modern CPUs get no security updates
False, you're just either gullible or lazy to find out if that is true.
-t.W7 Ryzen PC ATM getting security updates.
>hunt down software on the internet for W7
W7 is still 48% of most PC/laptop users; there is support until 2020/2021 so that is not an issue. My Ryzen MOBO came with everything I needed on its support page for W7. Easy.
>proprietary
At this point, just going on the internet is something that one would call use of proprietary software. I don't support stuff like Facebook, Spotify, Twitter, or Google since those are obvious privacy concerns there. While with an OS like W7 it may be proprietary with the updates/stuff Microsoft adds on; it's just an OS I truly enjoy. If you enjoy the interesting/more-technical side of Linux then that's great (I'm really interested to use it on a laptop in the near future). But I just want to enjoy what is left of W7 and probably the last consumer OS I would enjoy unironically with ease.
Also W10 is shit.

Not really 'muh games' but actually most of the widely known software that I use is on Windows so I use it then. While W7 just feels more comfortable to me from experience than W10 and honestly more transparent. I'm telling those who may enjoy W10 to at least support OS's like W7 since W10 is very anti-consumer in not just privacy for functionality (forced updates, UI mistakes and downgraded design).
I am intrigued to learn more about Linux after all, and for the moment being I enjoy W7 regardless of what is in terms of proprietary. It gets support, programs, and stuff I enjoy (as well in navigating through it as a consumer).
See
As well.
Also from someone that is a 'weeb' (desires lots of shitty attention by spamming anime pictures), you sure act like you're any better than those 'gaymurs'. At least some of them don't spout shit every day here to make themselves feel better. Hence 'weebs' are the extremist, ugly side of anime.

>False, you're just either gullible or lazy to find out if that is true
there's literally a microsoft support page on this
support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that
>hurr drivers are the only software I need
if you want a libre media player, word processor, compiler, POSIX shell, etc. you're going to have to hunt down sourceforge pages, trying to avoid accidentally installing bundled toolbars and virus scanners.
>At this point, just going on the internet is something that one would call use of proprietary software
just don't execute proprietary javascript and don't install flash.
>While with an OS like W7 it may be proprietary with the updates/stuff Microsoft adds on
I don't think you understand what that word means

I bought an hp50g calculator because Jow Forums memed me with RPN.
I ended up liking RPN a lot, and now I hate all other calculators but I also hate the 50g because the buttons are all hard to press rubber buttons completely unlike the old injection plastic molded HP48s or 42s, and I don't want to spend $150 on an ancient calculator.

I don't want to sell it either because it's no longer made and the price is just gonna go up because HP nerds are fucking autistic.

Attached: eating and studying lmao.jpg (850x1212, 267K)

I use Linux on my laptop, just because the thought of running Windows on a Core2 Duo gives me the creeps. Personally, I use a 12.1" X200 with i3 window manager just because it helps me with a lot of stuff. Would love to move to something even lighter, but i3 does the job and does it VERY well.

Desktop is KIIIIIIINDA SORTA shit tho, but that's just because it's a fresh install and it takes a while to get everything right with all the other stuff around. I never even turned the thing on when it had Windows, I was so used to my docked Debian install.

Sorry for the blogpost, TL;DR: Go for Linux on Laptop.

>Would love to move to something even lighter
i3 uses less than 10M of memory. you should trim down your kernel and find a lighter X11 implementation if you really care that much.
i3 is also XCB based. lighter WMs may use Xlib, causing them to be less responsive.

>Listening to gee
shiggydiggydoobiedoo

I don't think any of the bloated desktop environments come anywhere near as close to modern windows ram usage.
gnu/linux distros also don't get into the habit of thrashing your disk drives with mysterious disk operations completely at random

fpbp

worst advice: gentoo
Best advice: sudo rm -rf; install hackintosh

GNOME and KDE4 might be close. they're both pretty bad in terms of memory usage.
The good DEs like XFCE and MATE use under 200MiB, so they're still perfectly usable on a Pentium 4 machine.

>if you care
I don't, it's just tinkering.

I could lighten the kernel a bit, libreboot, but fuck me, all the SOIC probe clips in Yurop are like 20-30$

Gnome maybe, but KDE is still like half of windows.
A fresh 10 LTSB install uses like 1.5GB on idle, absolutely disgusting.

jbl lsr 305 hiss engines

>"Yes user, you can easily get this desktop in Linux distros"

Attached: 1505959566792.png (1920x1080, 2.18M)

Something with xdd or other. It b0rked my partitions.

>install arch, it's so useful and stable!
No out touts Arch's stability the same way no one touts Debian's up-to-dateness: it's not their strongpoint. It is a stable distro though. It fucks up way less than windows and macOS do for me.

To use linux as i could do the same stuff that i do on windows without much difference in time consumed and quality of results

>sansa clip
>any linux distro
>thinkpad
>m50x

thinkpad. i should have spent more on something better

i do like my mechanical keyboard though. wouldn't go back to pleb keys on a desktop anyway.

maybe learn how to use a computer desu
we don't need your ignorance in linux, please, please stay with windoze

fell for mechanical keyboard meme

>What's the worst advice Jow Forums has ever given you?

"buy an Apple Magic Mouse"

>microsoft page for this
Of course they say that, then explain how my R7 W7 build still gets updates? It was a github bypass that even the wikipedia page of Ryzen states exists and works for Windows support.
>hurr drivers for only software
Again, W7 is 49% of all PC users, developers are likely to support it.
>I don't understand what it means
It was worded wrong what I said about proprietary but the point is that I want have software that is mostly supported and W7 still gives me that. Not Linux.
Weeb please.

I Keep trying Linux again every so often because Jow Forums makes it sound like they’ve finally fixed everything this time and it will be better than the last time.

So far I’m still using a Mac.

Jow Forums has never given me advice

t. Brainlet

Ad hominen.
No answer, just an angry reflex.

I'm just saying you're dumb bro

Jow Forums has never given me bad advice, especially when the advice is extremely rude and condescending.

Who else got memed into the dell optiplexes where the caps would explode? Fucking Jow Forums

Attached: download (2).jpg (253x199, 15K)

> coming from honeypot unaudited system d user

as an ex sansa clip owner, it really is a great device for what it is.

Jow Forums told me to stop masturbating. that was the worst 12 hours of my life

I mean a Chink MP4 would do the trick as well right?
Sansa clips are hard to find and more expensive while having less features than some cheaper chink shit that's at least somewhat decent.

Attached: 15. Shocked.png (1171x900, 1.59M)

buying the performance MX mouse, it's just ok

ATH-M50x

I bought my sansa when they were new, beofre the color version. I think what's so great about it is it has a decent DAC, can install rockbox firmware, has great battery life, and an SD card slot. It ticks a lot of boxes in a very portable size, nothing that small from my experience can store that much music. I gave it to my ex's lil bro, and just use my phone instead, but I still wish I had it back sometimes.

> Jow Forums is better than reddit and hacker news and there is no censorship
Lies! Yet to come across any sensible discussions here.
Censorship here is so bad, I've stopped contributing to this site except for comments like this. I have been banned temporarily for posting "off topic" posts though it's related to tech. Jannis and mods are faggots. What useless site

rbt.asia/g/search/text/"Yes user%2C you can easily get this desktop in Linux distros"/
Why you lie to me anonymous?

Attached: cff.png (625x626, 66K)

>KDE is still like half of windows
KDE5 maybe. KDE5 was a big step forward. KDE4 performed terribly and ate a ton of memory.
>then explain how my R7 W7 build still gets updates?
maybe you haven't installed the update that prevents ryzen from updating.
>Again, W7 is 49% of all PC users, developers are likely to support it.
W7 may be 49% of PC users, but it's a small portion of devs and devs tend to only support systems that they use. In the case of the hardcore free software people, they explicitly will not support Windows. This is why GCC only gets shitty windows ports.
The other issue is distribution mechanisms. Most of the time the distribution mechanism is some questionable site that may bundle some adware. Most of these sites don't even provide pgp signatures or sha checksums for the binaries.
the thing that I had the most trouble finding were C libraries on W7. I was trying to use some graphics toolkits like GLEW or GLFW and I could not find any 64 bit binaries for them. it's not easy to build these from source either because I'd also have to find and build all dependencies too.
>W7 still gives me that. Not Linux
have you tried out WINE lately? it's gotten a lot better in the last couple of years. A few years ago, I could barely play any of the games I wanted to play and Steam would often crash; it's worked flawlessly for the last year.
>Weeb please
I don't even watch anime. weebs use arch. I use gentoo.

Recommending Thinkpads.

tl;dr gaymes

I pity anyone who bought a T60 on current_year

>KDE4 performed terribly and ate a ton of memory.
But that wasn't admitted until KDE5 was safely out the door.

buying a mechanical keyboard for ~200bucks