PSU

Alright Jow Forums

I'm on the lookout for a new PSU since my old SuperFlower PSU has bit the dust after 4 years

I'm on the lookout for around a 550-600w one to power my medium spec rig built 4 years ago with a GTX970

Anything specific you would recommend? I've heard nothing but good things about Seasonic but im on the edge about it since there are tons of options out there and obviously I come to you before I make any decisions. Any advice?

Attached: 56.jpg (600x600, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr
pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550
pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Seasanic Focus 550w

This

Are these actually good and silent? Gonna plan on upgrading as well, exactly same story as OP.

Seasonic is god tier, consider the 650 W Prime Gold. Costs around 100 €, 12 year warranty, almost identical with the Titanium one.
>Coil whine
Can happen, as well as fan noise, but at least my Titaniums fan doesn't even spin up (On a 500 W enthusiast rig).

I had a bequiet "highend" PSU before, died 6 months later, got coil whine replacements, random shut offs. Even the 30 € CX500 was better than these.

CX500 is also a prime budget choice, pretty good quality. But expect a lower lifespan.

Glad someone made a psu thread cause I got a question that relates.
Got a HP Microserver N40l. Thought about buying a spare psu while they were still in plenty supply and before price on them skyrockets. Is the stock psu a plain jane ATX spec one or did HP fuck with the wiring? I know it takes a 1u form factor which I can get new for under $70.00 If it takes some special HP only part that costs a lot then fuck it. (The whole server ain't worth more than $100 w/out drives)

Power supplies are memes.
I bought the cheapest one on Amazon two years ago, threw it in a cardboard box with an atom mobo, and it's ran continuously for 3 years now.
It was $12.
But do whatever you want with your money OP.

Attached: thatsnoneofmy.jpg (1249x703, 82K)

Never mind, found one on E-bay, brand new that's a perfect fit for under 60. Thank god. Considering that this little server draws 150w @ full load and it has 4GB ECC ram paying 60 to keep it running is a bargain compared with what I'd pay to replace it.

Antec used to be good. Got one in my server that's least 4 years old. No problems. Server's been on 24/7 (mostly). Before they sold out PC Power & Cooling were the gold standard.

He doesn't want to fry his 3.5GB card

>$12 PSU in a cardboard box

Not sure if brave or dumb but congrats on not setting your house on fire.

I got a Platinum 760W right after they came out, so like 5 years ago?
Not a single time has fan turned on.
Coils used to whine at first for a little while but it proved true that it goes away with time as the unit breaks in.
I soon plan to upgrade my 3770K and 280X, but the PSU stays for sure, no point to replace.
Best piece of computer hardware I have ever bought.

I just bought an EVGA superNOVA G3 750w, did I fuck up or make a good choice?

Get something high-end. I have a 1200w A-Power PSU dated August 2007 that works like a champ 11 years later. Since it doesn't work very hard (450W~ish load) it has longevity.

I use a CX750 and it hasn't even me any issues, but it's probably not getting any heat because my pc is using 300w at a worst case scenario full load.

Attached: CPU and PSU.jpg (4032x3024, 2.3M)

Patrician choice user. It's built by SuperFlower. It will outlive you.

>even
given*

OP here, see my post, my SuperFlower died out of nowhere after 4 years

Also, thanks for the helpful replies folks, looks like I'm going with a seasonic

It can happen. Just because your unit died it doesn't mean they are bad. SuperFlower is on par with Seasonic, know some ppl would actually say it's better.
I am the same user recommended 760W Platinum couple posts ago, so by all means go ahead, can't go wrong with Seasonics.

Lucky for you the glue holding the lid flap down has come off, so I snapped a photo of the acclaimed house fire.
It is all held together with hot glue and some of the foam packaging for the psu.
Airflow comes in that large hole above the IO, and in my mind, flows over the cpu cooler and around and out the psu. Temps stay a solid 15°c over ambient. It's just a router after all. Costed me nearly $60 in it

FUCK

Attached: IMG_20180510_220148.jpg (5312x2988, 2.36M)

READ JONNYGURU YOU FUCKS.

Also: superflower's leadex gold line are fucking top tier quality units.

For anecdotes, my Super Flower (a 550W Golden Green) is now eight years old and still runs my gaymen rig like a champ. The lack of modularity sucks, but dealing with that shit is really a one-time deal during case setup and I haven't touched it since I swapped the case back in 2012.

seasonic and forget.

This, Corsair even uses Seasonic to make their high end PSUs because they know it's good shit.

Pretty much anything from seasonic,antec. higher end evga and corsairs so just go with your budget
Yes, i have s12 620w like on picture (doesnt have fanless mode like focus series) and i cant hear it in my pc, hdd is loudest thing in it, so yeah its really quiet
Depends on system, i ran athlon x4 and gtx 760 on chinese 500w psu i got for 15$ for few years, system wasnt even boosting properly and voltage dipped to 11.3V lol

any seasonic.
all jap cap.
low ripple.

My 4690k/970 3.5 mobo died a few weeks so I decided to build a new one today. Used the same 4 year old Seasonic G SSR-550RM that powered my old rig. Shit still werks.

In same boat, but not looking to spend 100$+ on psu, my current poorsair is just shutting off randomly

That's not very efficient.

nice bottle neck

Corsair RMx

IIRC Corsair used CWT, but I might be wrong.

500W nJoy that I had to replace blown primary side on.

It still powers a machine to this day - a Xeon X5450 w/ a R7 240.
(although might replace it with something else - thinking of a R9 280 or anything newer and cheap - no nVidia because I had these run hot as all god damned hell - just recently I had to reflow a 8400GS just because of that)

Attached: IMG_20180217_091731.jpg (2880x1728, 1.04M)

Why bother with old hardware if you dont need alot of gpu power, 1030 or 1050 are really cheap and compared to old hw use alot less power, 1050ti with tdp of 75w beats my 280x with 250w tdp, not really worth it when you compare overall heat output and power draw

On the lower / mid end units, yes. Still, solid PSUs for the price.

Yeah my CX750 is a CWT, but the AX series are Sasonic,good stuff, CX is good stuff too if you're not building an extreme rig and stressing it.

Attached: IMG_0215.jpg (4032x3024, 2.31M)

pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr
pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550
pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

>SuperFlower
>only lasted 4 years

Are they just a meem now?

Not sure, but I want to get at least a MSI 1050Ti (there's one without the additional GPU power) because of the new LWA:Chamber of Time coming out. Even if i3 4th gen is minimum - wonder how a X5450 would do.

corsair rm550x

Seasonic S12 520W here
works like a charm for a year now, its also quiet.
for surprise my previous CoolerMaster g550m was RMA'd 3 times because it tended to broke after a 2-3 months of the same usage as seasonic