Who is, in your opinion, the best prgrammer of all time?

>Fabrice Bellard

Known for:
>LibBF is small library to handle arbitrary precision floating point numbers. The TinyPI example computes billions of digits of PI.
>X Window or Windows 2000 for the browser.
>RISCVEMU is a 128 bit RISC-V emulator.
>The SoftFP library is a new IEEE 754-2008 floating point emulation library supporting the 32/64/128 bit floating point types.
>BPG (Better Portable Graphics) is a new image format based on HEVC and supported by most browsers with a small Javascript decoder.
>A 4G LTE/NB-IoT base station running entirely in software on a standard PC.
>A new ASN1 compiler generating small and efficient C code.
>A PC emulator in Javascript: how much time takes your browser to boot Linux ?
>2700 billion decimal digits of Pi computed with a desktop computer.
>Analog and Digital TV (DVB-T) signal generation by displaying an image on a PC display.
>QEMU is a generic machine emulator and virtualizer.
>FFMPEG, the Open Source Multimedia System.
>TCC is a tiny but complete ISOC99 C compiler which enables you to use C as scripting language.
>QEmacs (for Quick Emacs) is an emacs clone
>OTCC is a very small self-compiling compiler for a subset of C
>TinyGL: a Small, Free and Fast Subset of OpenGL.
>An online Scientific Web Calculator.
>Pi formulas, algorithms and computations.
>A tiny C program to print the biggest known prime number.
and many others

Attached: fabrice-bellard-a99c3099-3011-4645-af71-1aba9ac26f5-resize-750.jpg (240x320, 14K)

me.

dude719

the French, while not big on companies, have a few breddy gud programmers
Bellard as OP said
Christophe Grenier (TestDisk and PhotoRec. lifesavers. this guy should get a medal for making them free)
Pierre Gougelet XnView

Donald Knuth

Me

This guy

Dennis Richie

>Dennis Richie
Spelt it wrong oops
Dennis Ritchie

Created the C Programming Language co-creator of Unix, and also involved in the development of Plan 9, among other things.

His death in 2011 was overshadowed by the death of Steve Jobs.

Maybe not the best programmer, but Jeff Dean is up there as one of the best computer scientist / software engineer.

Map Reduce, LevelDB, BigTable, Spanner, leads Google Brain & TensorFlow and is now the head of AI at Google.

djb is good when it comes to high performance crypto and arithmetic

Steve jobs

Another retard who believes Steve Jobs is a genius programmer.

>best

How are they the best? Did they program something that was thought impossible to program or something? That's stupid. Did they program useful things? Well, that's great, but that doesn't necessarily make you a good programmer, just a good idea guy.

>who is the best painter?
>did they paint something that was impossible to paint or something? That’s stupid.

Attached: donald_knuth.png (643x657, 638K)

mah nigga

to be a truly great programmer you can't actually write any code. zen and nirvana is the same as having not even begun, like a child or an unborn baby. it loops back around. you understand that code is a useless tool for a useless machine.

Attached: 06_Wired_ZenGamer.0[1].jpg (654x800, 141K)

@Frog faggot here.
While it is still true (a lot of projects have been initiated by french people, including VLC, xfce just to name those.
And I know a lot of us contribute to the free movement and open source projects in general.
Our administration is starting to get linux more and more, and it's way more successful and with less drama than what happened in Munich.

After browing Jow Forums for so many years and see what other people (mainly from the US) recommends when starting to learn programming etc. I think it comes partly from the education. Within the first 2 years, you learn C programming and linux system programming, you actually learn how shit works and we have a lot of teachers that are into the free movement and linux.

The unique thing that I fear is the "americanisation" of all this shit, with new devs thinking you should no longer program in C, bash, or so, cause it's "old" and there are new better stuff that gets the job done for you now.
I really hope this is just a fashion thing and that it will stop.

durial321

Attached: 1503351326081.jpg (320x320, 18K)

BAZINGAAAAAAAAA

I think the best programmer of all time would be someone who created the original compilers as they would have to have been working in binary code exclusively including writing the complex mathematical algorithms. So, pretty much the inventor of mnemonic assembly laguage
so, that would be Kathleen Booth for the ARC2 at Birkbeck, University of London and John von Neumann and Herman Goldstine at the Institute for Advanced Study.

They were working on this throughout the latter part of the 1940's

veto'd the fuck off

he looks like my dentist

Ludvig Strigeus
He managed to do what no other programmer before or since has managed to do: make a usable torrent client.

>the best programmer of all time
>no the father of the best kernel in the world
guys I know that you can do better

Attached: kernel.jpg (842x575, 41K)

Kathleen Booth

human readable languages were the biggest mistake of computing

int m=1811939329,N=1,t[1

>int m=1811939329,N=1,t[1

i KNOW that every one of you wanted to say Terry A. Davis, but you wussed out, you wussies.
Well, I'm saying it.
Terry Davis is the hero we need.

Terry is done with programming.
He is getting his CPU of the ground now, pre-orders open soon.

Year of the TempleOS desktop, coming soon.

RMS

Attached: ArtOfComputerProgramming.jpg (266x374, 18K)

Right after Terry A. Bepis' death

Not a programmer

Attached: i2z4e972xz1z.png (150x328, 42K)

mah nigga

This guy knows more about WIndows than Microsoft itself...

Attached: mark-russinovich.jpg (770x550, 66K)

Moot!

/thread

>In the 1950s von Neumann was employed as a consultant to IBM to review proposed and ongoing advanced technology projects. One day a week, von Neumann "held court" at 590 Madison Avenue, New York. On one of these occasions in 1954 he was confronted with the Fortran concept; John Backus remembered von Neumann being unimpressed and that he asked, "Why would you want more than machine language?" Frank Beckman, who was also present, recalled that von Neumann dismissed the whole development as "but an application of the idea of Turing's 'short code."' Donald Gilles, one of von Neumann's students at Princeton, and later a faculty member at the University of Illinois, recalled that the graduate students were being "used" to hand-assemble programs into binary for their early machine (probably the IAS machine). He took time out to build an assembler, but when von Neumann found out about it he was very angry, saying (paraphrased), "It is a waste of a valuable scientific computing instrument to use it to do clerical work."

Attached: john-von-neumann-p-cropped.jpg (1544x869, 791K)