Windows 3x series

Is it actually the OS we need?

Attached: Windows_NT_3.51.png (300x224, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/
opendawn.com/opengem/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: miscnt351smok2.png (800x600, 134K)

I still believe its possible for someone to make a fully functioning win95 style desktop environment on top of a Linux with minimal system requirements.

Kind of like ReactOS?

FVWM95
Icewm with some theme

hi wally

I missed the old After Dark screensaver in Win 3.1x

Windows NT 4 or Windows 2000 was the last good version of windows

i wish someone cloned the windows program manager and released it as GPL or BSD

The recommended amount of RAM for Windows 3.1 is 12 MB. Would it be possible to achieve a similar amount of functionality with Linux while still keeping inside 12 MB and using software that is still being supported? Hard mode: also stay within the 75 MB disk space requirement.

damn small linux basically did this in its heyday, i think theres a project now called tinycore which does the same.

Really? I could run Win 3.1 in my first PC and it only had 1 MB of RAM. There's no one I know had 12 MB of RAM at that time.

Tiny Core actually doesn't come close to meeting the 12 MB requirement. The problem is that it's designed to run entirely from RAM so it ends up needing 46 MB. There might be a version that isn't designed to run entirely from RAM though.

Shit, that should have been Windows NT 3.1. Managing to fit inside 1 MB of RAM and having at least all the functionality of Windows 3.1 while using software that's still maintained probably isn't achievable.

>Windows NT 3.1
Not gonna argue if you mean NT.

Yeah, I had 4 meg and it was fine, not sure 12 would've made that much difference.

Fuck 2k was awesome, ran that shit for years until XP matured.
Last time I actually used it for realz was in 2010 when I took a road trip and only had my old P4 laptop. It did OK, but really was showing its age.

Interesting that W7 is almost just as old now and still in use all over the place.

I actually still use Win2k. I was the guy that started the /w2k/ generals about a year ago here. I still have it installed on my laptop but I'm at gf's house so I just wanted to see what the consensus was on 3x just for fun

But still 12 MB seems like a bit too large. I think Win 95 minimum requirement was 4 MB. I could be wrong. My second PC was 486 with 4 MB of RAM bought in 1994. A year later Win 95 was released but I delayed installing it because 4 MB was like minimum requirement. I had seen it in my friend computer, too slow. Sluggish as hell. So I waited till I bought my 3rd computer which I don't remember the spec. Could be 486 DX-4 with 8 MB of RAM. Pretty sure not Pentium.
What did you use 2K for?

Just to clarify, OP was meaning Windows NT 3.x when he made this thread, or did he just select an image that said Windows NT 3.51 while meaning Windows 3/3.1?

I don't think you understand. I use Win2k. It's my computer. I run datacenter on laptop as my main OS. With the kernel extensions and the bugfixes maintained by the Japanese community it's pretty functional in 2018. Anything that runs on vista will run on 2000, which leaves it more compatible than Wine ever would be.

All of the 3x series, including NT

OK, I only read that statement when he mention that the recommended RAM for Win 3.1 is 12 MB. I didn't know he's talking about NT because of OP.

Similar functionality would be difficult, but KolibriOS runs on such small hardware, and so does Grey Cat Linux.

12 MB of RAM and a 386 are what Wikipedia lists as the system requirements for NT 3.1.

>With the kernel extensions and the bugfixes maintained by the Japanese community it's pretty functional in 2018.
There's no way in hell that's secure, but at the same time I really need to see this.

I'll show you tommorow. Same time. I'll start it as a general again.

blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

Links to kernel extension pls user.

Why has WINE not used these desu

I bet ReactOS has looked at them tho, they seem to be making lightspeed improvements lately and are starting to support Win8 apps

ALSO

opendawn.com/opengem/

OpenGEM is a free Gui for FREEDOS

NT always ran like shit with less than 32MB

no
>program manager was a mistake
>file manager was a mistake
>no one bothered writing 32-bit programs for NT3.x

So, KDE2?

man, 95 with 4MB would be awful

Why yes, it is.

Attached: WIN31.png (1024x768, 484K)

As you can see, it has all the features necessary.

Attached: netscape1.png (1024x768, 303K)

Windows NT 3.51 was comfy as fuck. Wish we could use the old progman

No it was certified dogshit. Literally anything else was better at the time including DOS. Windows 3.5 what a joke.

this is bait

>man, 95 with 4MB would be awful
That's why I said I decided to wait till I got larger RAM. I saw my friend booting his Win 95 with 4 MB. Took about 5 minutes. Compare it to a few seconds I needed to boot from my DOS 6.1. My sane thinking decided to wait for better H/W.

Advancement was a mistake.

All it did was allow bloat and glitz to take the place of pushing the paradigm and capabilities. We're essentially doing the same thing now as we were turning at the turn of the millennium, but look at the infrastructure at every level that is required to do it.

nice webrender proxy faggot

I'd like to know more about those Japanese things. Perhaps we could nLite an updated 2k system to a custom ISO or something.

user, your wallpaper is needed.

Isn't Program Manager open source now?

Jow Forums won't let me upload it. Maybe because it's a BMP?

Why would you go for an OS that was outdated when it already came out.
Use UNIX, AmigaOS or Mac OS/System.