Software Engineer Jobs

Are software engineering jobs really this /comfy/?
Or is this just selective as fuck clip selection.
From the outside, both lives/jobs seem like my dream.
youtube.com/watch?v=UK2000bGHio
youtube.com/watch?v=CxoGjX3JvHI

Attached: 64101292392420f559d08b50bba9d478.jpg (1359x726, 473K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ON4xQMd0tI4
youtube.com/watch?v=XC-Im_kRPxM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

commuting to work every day just to sit in an air conditioned office building, being told it's CRUNCH TIME writing spaghetti code for 8 hours and then driving home at 5pm and spending 2 hours in traffic sounds like the exact opposite of comfy

I love programming but would never do it as a profession.

How does workout during work hours work? He gets paid for that shit?

No. The stress (specially if you're an actual programmer and not some srum meme faggot) are extremely competitive and stressful.

On his lunch break I guess. It seems most of these jobs are very flexible.

I'd rather hurry up with my shit and workout after work.

There's probably a bit of self-selection involved, but for the most part those experiences are pretty common in the industry. When every company is paying six figures with some quantity of RSU grants, benefits like flextime and free food/gym/etc. are a good way for companies to try and sell themselves to competitive candidates.

Of course, you could also end up landing at Amazon or some shitty startup run by a "business-side" fag and get to deal with micromanaging superiors, on-call hours, and stack ranking.

>work a trade job
>get lots of fresh air
>never have to worry about physical fitness or muscle atrophy
>no cunty passive aggressive workplace politics ever
>if someone hates you, they'll say it to your face
it's so refreshing, fuck computer jobs

Attached: astolfo wew lad.jpg (1200x1200, 189K)

These practices aren't even uncommon. Every godless fucking company, whether tech-oriented or not, is going to give you free catered lunches and a break room with a foosball table, because they think it will incentivize you you never leave the office. If you fall for it, well, that's on you.

looks more like "day in the life of a project manager who pesters software engineers to hurry up and release already"

Yes. My work life balance is pretty great, my commute is nonexistent since I live next door, so it's just a short 3 minute walk. I get in late and leave early everyday.

There's no catered food on a daily basis, only for meetings, but that doesn't matter since there's a lot of good restaurants within walking distance anyway. There's plenty of snacks/coffee, and espresso machines throughout though.

My only complaints are about management now and then, that's about it really.

Having now flooded the job market with women and foreigners the elites want you glued to your desk at all times.

> eating all day and spiking your insulin
hey fattyyyyy

? Never said I eat all day, just that it's available.

If you don't mind doing CRUD for the rest of your life.

What bozo falls for this shit.

I rather work remotely and have a proper gym in my garage. I can guarantee you these work gyms have cardio bunny equipment and hexagonal plates.

yeah that's how it starts
if you want to see sickly unhealthy people on the verge of permanent wrist damage just visit any software firm

Whatever you say.

>The stress are extremely competitive and stressful

Attached: 1479960319622.png (310x236, 124K)

I do this, but I work at a power plant. Yeah, we get paid for that time. It's part of the health plan. You get a better package for being in shape.

How do I get a job at a power plant?

Yes.
Source: work at a big company in the valley

That's fucked. Makes me regret all of my life decisions desu

No

Wait till you get old. Unless you're union you're fucked

you act as if though ageism isn't a thing in the tech industry
you don't even have unions, you're doubly fucked

Its not even about ageism its about body deterioration if you're doing manual labor. Not to mention at most its only enjoyably working outside 6 months very max. If you're old in the union you don't have to do shit

@ 1:18s

>12:03 am

KEK. The power of female programmers.

#girlsintech

yeah because sitting around on your ass all day is good for your body

Not that user but I work at home and make sure to move every hour or so, just get up and pace or something. At lunch I spend time exercising before eating, I also do that in the morning and night if I can fit it in.

I have no clue if it mitigates the damage of sitting for >=8 hours a day though.

I'm going to get an adjustable desk that lets me convert from sitting to standing at will.

Disgusting

I work as a software engineer for a Fortune 500 company in the US and it's really nothing like those videos. My company's main objective is not software though, so it doesn't really have the "tech-startup" culture.

I think some things in those videos are accurate, especially for tech companies. Notice how late they stayed in the evening? The woman stayed until 6:50pm and the guy until 7:45pm (although he worked out for an hour). Lots of good, free food to incentivize them to stay longer. Shitty desks next to co-workers instead of a private cubicle space. All things that I've heard about tech startups that align with those videos. Of course they don't show the truly late nights that I'm sure those people are required to do, I bet they stay until 10/11pm at least once a week to hit some unreasonable deadline.

>not moving to the third world and freelancing and living like a fucking king on $15 a day

baka

Attached: 1525962507875.jpg (700x659, 79K)

Wageslave detected. You either chose the wrong company or job.

The way this Tokio Software Developer girl
does it looks more realistic to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=ON4xQMd0tI4

Yeah, sure. I'd rather work out knowing I'm done with shit for the day than do it during my work and be done even later, fuck that.

You try lifting 80lbs bags of concrete and carry shingles on a roof past your 40s

Is it possible to land a decent software engineering job with no degree?
I recently had to dropout/postpone my education and I already have taken a couple of CS classes so I feel like I have a decent foundation. Should I just try to self teach from there and then start applying for jobs?

Tradies aren't supposed to work physical jobs all their life. Maybe 20 years and open up their own shop and they'll be the ones managing the plebs who do the job they used to do.

I work as a programmer for a telecomm. I work out every other day for a solid 45 to 60min and no one cares. You manage yourself.

On days where there's little to no work I spend all of my time on my phone. When there is work it's long blocks of just coding, maybe sneak in a workout. Manager and PM just cares about meeting deadlines

I wish I had learned a trade instead of falling for the IT meme. I work part time and have a lot of free time to work manual labour side jobs or do stuff around the house. I'm 6'6"/240lbs and I'm very strong. I shouldn't waste away at a desk but I'm already 35 years old, it's too late to properly learn a trade now.

Define 'software engineer' in this instance OP. There's a big difference between programmers calling themselves engineers and engineers who work with software.

It's fine after your first breakdown and you literally stop caring if you lose your job or not.

Until that point you will be stressed the fuck out. After - you'll be okay, but you'll have to constantly deal with people messaging you on skype wanting you to work on their projects instead of the one you're currently on.

If you have time, it's never too late. To learn at least, the physical rigor is different. I'm a Tradie that is working in a degree in CS. Grass is always greener. But unless you go union, you will never go above 50k/yr. Sure you could open your own business, but it's so much easier to do and succeed on paper.

>a trade worker probably expires when he's 50 when his body can no longer work
>tfw a tech worker expires at 30

I am SE for a few month now. $ is OK but it doesn't looks like there is much learn there, but from the other hand I am not overworking myself. There is this one app on test env that needs to stay up for testers. Today I got big thank-you's on multichat for helping to fix and issue which was...wrong file permissions.

>smiling for no fucking reason
>web systems engineer
>set timings
>PHP java
>shitty workstation
>drinks after work
>"echo 'enjoy'"
fucking kms

Why is that? Does the work require too much fluid intelligence for an aging mind?

Oh fuck no, programming is piss easy shit.
What happens is if you haven't escaped into management or at least lead developer status by the time you're 35, you're quickly aged out of the industry because you have experience, experience is expensive, and you probably also don't want to work 80 hour weeks and definitely won't deal with unpaid overtime because you probably have a family by then.

So they just replace you with young blood, your career's over, nobody wants to hire a 30 year old junior dev when they can hire a 20 year old naive kid who hasn't had his spirits crushed yet.

Does this apply to info sec?
I wasted my life and decided to pursue this at the age of 28. Working the trades suck.

I'm an auto mechanic I make about 60k a year, been doing this for 12 years, I went to a 1 year trade school. I'm 34 and I'm registered to go back to school full time in august. I did basic web dev. for a company in high school but I got so bored just sitting there, and even though I was into web dev. I couldn't get myself to care about some dumb ass website that sells home goods. Idk if i'm making the right choice I still have time to change my mind but I feel like I want to take on something bigger. My mechanic job is pretty comfy but the money is barley liveable in new england. There are a few more certs. I can get for automotive that might push me up around 70k but I feel like I could easily do that in web. dev. for less work. Idk.

Keep in mind these people are the ones who go out of their way to show off their lives. There are plenty of people who have to travel further, don't have the nice working conditions and benefits of having free food provided etc.

I can imagine its ez and comfy if you're a web dev nigger brainlet. But if we talk about game dev that's where hell lurks, especially if you're starting in some 3rd world country, they will squeeze all juice off you for the price of good wine bottle. But now when I wrote this, I'm thinking that maybe in Japan that hell is considered a good job.

pic related looks like an ultra-shitty place to work desu

>Are software engineering jobs really this /comfy/?
Land a job at a unicorn or a top tech company and you're easily making $130k+ total starting off plus loads of free shit and benefits. They likely expect you to revolve your life around the company though, hence the bias towards younger people with no kids.

>you're quickly aged out of the industry because you have experience
Statements like that really depend. I feel like I'm experiencing reverse-ageism where I'm at right now. Everyone aside from me has a family and is in their 40-50s. You're also underestimating the importance of domain knowledge and experience in general. Companies will generally prefer devs with years of experience that don't have to be babysat, old or not.

>Commute
Depends on you, that's your problem where you live/traffic on any job.

>Freedom
Pretty great, not gonna lie. Do you love coding? Would you like to further your hobby and get paid while doing it? Sure.
Sit in an office (or whatever) and listen to your music, browse whatever, chat with friends; all while doing your work.

Lots of jobs are also very flexible with working from home since it's very possible in this industry.

>Pay
Most programmer jobs have a pretty good salary. Lots of room for growth.
If someone complains about pajeets, they're just not high enough in the ladder or live in a shithole.

>Awesome job
Literally every girl I tell I'm a developer wets her panties. No, but seriously. People just admire coders.

>Extra
Tons, really. From benefits to whatever. But one of my favorites I'd say, is the freedom to get into office whenever I want and leave whenever I want. So long as I'm putting in my hours, obviously. It depends on the company too.

And on freetime you could even take up freelance jobs easily if you're good at it.

Attached: celty1.gif (500x266, 1.55M)

IBM wanted guys with mortgages and families so they were tied to the company.
They also didn't usually have lost weekends and/or broken legs like the single guys who went on ski weekends.

Work from home

Do you guys really find this type of job enjoyable? I find it hard to imagine that I'm the only one Jow Forums who hates this open workspace bullshit, and the constant interruptions for shit like "team coffee break" and "team chai break" and "puppy time". These people spend a ton of time at the office, and they probably are not doing much outside of the office. As others have stated, a lot of these "perks" really just insidiously blur the distinction between work and life.

That said, those cafeterias look really fucking good.

There is IT in heavy industry, look at building automation or data acquisition systems in factories. I worked with one guy who charged $2000 to just show up at the site.

I honestly don't know how most here got their jobs, the company hires from some kind of agency for the regular proles. I'm an engineer so I went through college and got recruited there.

I work as an enterpiss Java dev for local government and yes it is very comfy but boring as hell. My colleagues are generally fine but hard to get along with as they are all old as fuck COBOL programmers who have been "reeducated" to do Java.

I guess the only benefit is that I get paid decently, only work for 32 hours a week and have zero stress. The drawback is that I work in a busy as fuck city/area and spend close to an hour traveling just to be a bored. Before that I worked as a linux sysadmin and that was way more interesting and fun, but had way more working hours (like close to 50) and stress for less money.

My dream job would be to work as a car mechanic/handy man fixing peoples cars and/or electronics in a small town somewhere rural and quiet. Preferably near the sea/ocean.

>coders

I don't like saying programmers and I'm not about to suck Jow Forums's girldick, fuck off.

This

>he thinks he is safe because he went to university

work, safe and invest. It's the only way to have a good retirement.

Why is it "crunch time"? Is your company so inept that it can't provide you with enough time to write code?

>tradesmen want to go for programming jobs
>programmers want to go for trades
I don't know what to do now

Nigga u gay. Programming isn't competitive or stressful. Are you working in an indian scam factory or something? Does a Russian boss have a gun to your head?

I'm interviewing for a remote programming job. In theory, remote jobs should be top comfy. Can someone confirm this?

Depends. Usually you get a really nice salary, base is like $120k (depends on experience and how good you are at negotiating salary) in major cities. My job is really chill, we get free food, coffee, etc., the commute is 25 minutes each way. Coworkers are agreeable, management is fine. The pay is the best really.

Depends on the employer, but generally yeah.

>I bet they stay until 10/11pm at least once a week to hit some unreasonable deadline.

I work at a startup and I've literally never been in the office/worked past 5:30.

Comfy af

yeah, because that's not case-by-case or anything

I feel like I am getting severely underpaid...

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-04-12-20h47m00s379.png (1280x720, 439K)

Grass is always greener, and that will drive anyone to over think their current situation.

Trades are romanticized it seems. Sure it's honest work. Fresh air, moving around and the banter is great. What people don't think about is the health hazards and shitty weather.

Silica, which is in concrete dust can lead to cancer is your exposed to it long enough. Drilling holes into concrete and working in masonry will give you considerable exposure. Falling off a ladder of just 6 feet can kill or paralyze you. Falls are the most common accident is the trades.

And don't forget about the knees and lower back. And lack of mental challenge.

It's not really "software engineering" but I do DevOps work for a Fortune 500 company. I basically have three years of experience there and I work on automation and process improvement most days:
> Tier 3 Linux support for developers in a QA environment.
> Project-based work whenever I want to take a break from tickets (usually I dedicate a couple days of this)
> Configure CI/CD systems and write automation code all day

Nothing better than just coding and listening to music.
> 95K, Texas
> Manager doesn't give a shit what I do, as long as I get my work done. I work 9-4pm most days.

I love this life.

>lack of mental challenge
I disagree with you, if you think being a plumber, a carpenter or a electrician makes you a brainlet, you are looking at the bottom of the barrel. The same comparison can go for code monkeys and pajeets (metaphorical pajeets not IRL Hindu people)

Yes. If you're in college spend all your time attempting to crack the top tech companies interviews, ala leetcode. Quite literally the best investment of your time at that stage.

I get paid 200k a year to contribute to open source, drink free alc whenever I want, get free food, and even things like free rental cars during the week if I need to run errands. And hey even if you hate it you can always leave. Working at Google or Facebook essentially means you have to beat recruiters off of you.

Doesn't anyone get tired of the company culture bullshit? And how about the people who just buy into the company culture hook line and sinker and don't realize that this is a means to an end an not an end in itself?

I more tired of the constant circle jerking from people trying to look smart.

It fuckin sucks. I ran away from coding and went into management. A company Porsche, free food and traveling around Yurop in the company's Cirrus. They paid for my license kek.Better hours, improving social skills and my success with dates just went up. All this for just sitting around all day shouting at Pajeets and the occasional slightly autistic Bernd to refactor code faster, remove variables out of the public scope and stick to the coding standards(fuckin Pajeets) or going around the world shilling software to gorvenments and bribing politicians to favour our quotes. Feels good man. I am currently in Vienna at the hotel.

Attached: 1522547421407.jpg (700x524, 57K)

I'm jelly.

>Be civil engineer
>Trailer is your office.

youtube.com/watch?v=XC-Im_kRPxM

Here's one of my favs.

Attached: 1438981025361.jpg (1374x1425, 391K)

will don't let that affect your work quality

Great video. I lost it at the Hackers poster

>4 hours of actual work per day
no wonder airbnb is shit

>during work hours work? He gets paid for that shit?

Lmao welcome to the real world. When I'm working from homeoffice I just leave my laptop on and play videogames on my PC and get paid for that.

SE as in system engineer or software engineer?

jesus christ that is the dumbest fucking hollow faggot life I've ever seen. and working for a criminal bullshit company, at that. These people are stupid, hence why they work for such companies. No wonder these techies are ruining the world.

In my experience, deep and expert knowledge of the field in general is what companies are looking for in it sec, sure if you just want to do that one thing only, like say reversing malware, you make sure you are on a godlike level and you'll be set for life. But there are many areas in it sec (consulting, pentesting etc) where you need a very broad spectrum of skills.
Thus i would say that the average age of sec professional is older than for that of a frontend webdev. That being said just go for it, alot can happen in 5-10 years, and hireing someone in his early 30s whos had a solid track record for the past few years doesn't seem too far fetched.

>Something Engineer.
you know it's shit when they shove the "engineer" after their shitty job.
>I use a keyboard and a screen, I'm an enginigger

what a load of crap.
googles "loonix something somengi course"
screen comes up "$2400 loonix training"
reads on a subway.... wtf?

nice fagotry. what are these videos promoting again?

95% of software developers do not work at magic companies like Apple, Google, Airbnb or your average startup as the media portrays it.
Worldwide, 99.9% of software developers don't work in such a company.

After 20 years in IT I'm fed up with it to be honest. I've worked at a lot of companies and all the office environments have been pretty unpleasant. Filled with anti social, passive aggressive idiots with ego issues.
Getting out of IT and working in anything else sounds amazing to me.

Attached: pirate 1340132242150.jpg (1600x1200, 695K)

you've never worked a day in your life. most places are beige-walled dreamkilling factories

Decent? No. Entry level at some startup desperate for people? Definitely yes.

Yes. The big infosec firms want fresh new postgraduate people who know research and theory, if you don't already have an IT/computer science background, then getting into serious infosec is a big hurdle and probably a waste of time.

Absolute kek. Maybe it makes sense if you take the Stallman "hacking is not cracking" thing.