Programmers sold themselves short

>Be programmer in the 90s
>Write some DOS utility in a few weeks
>Sell it as shareware for $25 a copy
>Make a nice comfy living while being your own boss

>Be programmer in the 201x
>Put all your stuff for free on Github
>Blue-haired trannies harass you in the issue tracker
>Giving your code for free will make the shareholders of mega-corporations like Google, Apple, Oracle even richer
>As a reward, have to compete with Pajeets from the third world who are paid a third of your wage
>If you find employment at a big corporation, you might get fired if you have the wrong political opinions

What went wrong Jow Forums?
Pic somehow related, I think this smug fuck started it.

Attached: nullix.jpg (618x361, 20K)

I like Linux. Linus works from home in a bathrobe and showers at noon.

Too late to stop it.
Learn a trade.

What's stopping you to create a webservice and host it on some dirt cheap VPS? Even more control on your side than in DOS era, can be subscription based, less issues with compatibility (except for JS, but still not as big of an issue as 10 years ago, besides most framework takes care of that kind of problems).
You should only share your hobby project's code, if you want to show someone your portfolio. However, even then showing a working product speaks louder than a thousand lines of code.

I don't know what you've heard but Linus doesn't let any warning color SJWs jump at his face. He puts everyone back in their place by being a total alpha who answers to no one and doesn't tolerate inferior quality no matter what your race or sexual orientation is. The problem must be somewhere else.

>A profession
>Selling yourself

Attached: 1515465568173.jpg (555x445, 36K)

are you literally retarded?

This kills your argument, kike.

Attached: 300px-GPLv3_Logo.svg.png (300x149, 16K)

He's made millions from Linux, so now he has the luxury to sit down and maintain the kernel in his own eccentric manner. This isn't a good thing, it's only good for him. He doesn't care about software freedom, he doesn't care about privacy (uses G+, has a modern UEFI laptop, no longer signs his emails, etc), nothing, and basically has no convictions whatsoever besides a natural disdain for retards pushing shit code.

How so?
GPLed code is used in virtually every router and appliances built by corporations.
It's powering all the data centers of Google, Amazon, etc.

Good job giving away the fruits of your work, I'm sure someone somewhere is enjoying them.

I'm so fucking tired of the obligatory "programming for free as a hobby" meme.

Hardware as a business. Who would have thunk it?

>no but you are

>Implying people didn't just give shit out to their friends on floppies in the 90s
Hell it was bad even before then.

Attached: 1525986661814.jpg (1700x2200, 2.15M)

Boomers, specifically Democrats. They were like "oh look we have it well so let's invite 3rd world people and increase immigration, it won't hurt our children!" So then those immigrants voted Democrat, pushing more liberal views, allowing more immigrants in, pushing for more policies that helped outsource work and benefit immigrants over native population. Along with Jews pushing cultural Marxism to destroy youth, this lead to the current "hate white males" outlook. Companies hire a few good white men who sustain the majority of everything, then every other employee is a diversity hire to be progressive, effectively blocking qualified white men, native population, from getting a job, because you can't have too many white men in a company anymore, especially straight white men. You have to have gay disabled tranny black employees, hired by fat women who are HR, who get denied by white men, and only get laid by nonwhites, so they hate white men.

I have a job at a very large company.

Not a single line at shithub.

>DOS utility
Are you fucking retarded?

Yes something like PKZIP

fuck white people

Communism :^)

>Be programmer in the 90s
>Write two panel file commander fot windows
>Sell it as cheap shareware
>over 20 years later program is still developed it's recognized as one of the best for it's user friendliness and productivity
>Make a nice comfy living while being your own boss
There is no photo of Christian Ghisler on the internet.

you posted a wrong picture

Attached: dont-steal.jpg (331x152, 10K)

>basically has no convictions whatsoever besides a natural disdain for retards pushing shit code

you say that like its a bad thing

Engineer after my own heart

Free software devs have the balls and they don't give a fuck if someone "steals" their code. If anything, I find this alpha as fuck.

>tfw I work in an industry where people are making 150k USD/year, but because I can't put most of my work experience on my resume, I'm making 25k USD/year before taxes

Attached: 1508430311960.jpg (640x559, 42K)

>>Good job giving away the fruits of your work, I'm sure someone somewhere is enjoying them.
A lot of times that's literally the goal. The whole reason Linux exists is because Linux wanted a unix-like system and thought it'd be fun to dig around in OS internals. There's a lot of people who write software because they want it to exist for their own purposes. Not everything everyone does is based on a strict "how much money can I sell this shit for?" calculation.

Linus is a fucking hero, he's responsible for creating an entire field of work, being able to get your patches into mainline Linux pretty much guarantees you a job on the silicon valley.

*handrubbing intensifies*

>caring about money

lmao the absolute state of you

well Bill, I cant copy and paste hardware.

Never program for free.

>>Put all your stuff for free on Github
The problem is nobody buys software anymore

We need a stricter one - The uGPL license: As long as the utility is used (even indirectly) for building software, it has to be released under the same licence

Because it's not an exclusive skill anymore. If you have half a brain you should program, and least for yourself.

>something like PKZIP
and we know how that turned out

sphagetti coder pajeet detected

>You wouldn't download a car

Most menial labor jobs require half a brain or less, does that mean I should do all of those too? Perhaps "Should" isn't the best word to use there, friendo.

Having the free time to do the things I enjoy, like hanging out with my RL friends, go to the range, go camping, go out to a club and have a few drinks, etc is far more important to me than the money I'd save by painting my own condo living room, washing my own car, grooming my own dogs (though I do bathe them for bonding time) and so on.

>What went wrong Jow Forums?
Your therapy.

>Pic somehow related, I think this smug fuck started it.

No, because he chose to publish his code under GPL, which means you at the very least has a rightful claim to any enhancements made to your code.

The fuckers who started this are those evangelising permissive licensing which is free code for companies to build their proprietary products upon.

You are giving them code for free with no strings attached which means they can hire fewer developers, so you are killing your own employment prospects as well.

stop using gpl

>blaming linus for richards fuckup

Software devs are all nu-males or trannies

not even legally possible, are you fucking retarded

The modern model is selling subscriptions or a Patreon like service for donations. Shareware now goes under the more dignified name of "AGPLv3+ / commercial dual license".

>im afraid of everything
>totally not a morose slav im one of you
>promise
get fucked Internet Research Agency this board is not for your bullshit

YOUR SUPERVISOR HAS BEEN NOTIFIED

This. The whole point of FOSS software is that you can make software you need, and others can contribute to it if they also find it useful. If you want to make a quick buck create a shitty mobile game, idk.

>>Put all your stuff for free on Github
>using a site that relies on nonfree javascript
>not using GNU Savannah
>>Blue-haired trannies harass you in the issue tracker
If it's just a project you work on for free, then close the issue. ignore any criticism you get over it.
If you're working with a company, direct the issue to your PR department.
>>Giving your code for free will make the shareholders of mega-corporations like Google, Apple, Oracle even richer
>for free
if you use a copyleft license, they need to redistribute any changes they make, so you'll see a benefit to your own project from those corporations using the product. Generally putting a GPL license on something makes it unlikely that companies will use it.
If you use libre software, you don't need to think about those companies.
>>As a reward, have to compete with Pajeets from the third world who are paid a third of your wage
>free software
>competing
are you actually retarded?
>>If you find employment at a big corporation, you might get fired if you have the wrong political opinions
>not living somewhere where this is illegal
how would an employer even know your political opinions? why would you put anything in written form on the internet under your real name?

>come up with an idea for a tool that does your job 10% better
>GPL license it
>others use this tool at no cost to you
>others improve this tool further because they can make money off of it
>you can now do your job 20% better with this tool
vs
>come up with an idea for a tool that does your job 10% better
>give it a proprietary license and charge a royalty
>no one fucking uses it

I think engineers fucked up a lot worse than programmers. It should unironically be illegal to call yourself an engineer without a PE. Doctors and Lawyers knew what they were doing when they prevented any yokel from slapping M.D. or Esq. on their title. Software engineers aren't engineers, neither are most people that call themselves engineers in other disciplines. It completely devalued what being a real engineer means. The word has completely lost all meaning and lost any inherent value that used to be attached to it.

We crossed that rubicon a long time ago with industrial "engineers."

The few that get me the most are drafters that only do drafting but somehow have engineer in their title and project managers that have to know something slightly technical so they call themselves project engineers. Offshore oil and gas is notoriously bad about throwing engineer on the title of anyone with a GED that has been on a boat in a client rep position for long enough.

>It should unironically be illegal to call yourself an engineer without a PE
it is illegal to do that in many places. Onatrio, for example.
>Software engineers aren't engineers
there are plenty of software engineers with a PE.

what went wrong? you fuckers kept pushing programming in education, kept trying to perpetuate the stupid notion that everyone should be able to read and write code, no other profession did this, i dont see butchers pushing for meat cutting education for all.

And worse of all, you made programming a part of your identity, with all your stupid nerd culture and STEM pride so don't act surprised when the ultimate identity queen come looking to be a part of it, thankfully this seems to be affecting webdev shite mostly, I work in embedded and my team is 60% women who are fully competent and not completely annoying, embedded is still not an "attractive" field thankfully so there wont be an influx of incompetent annoying cunts looking to kode and post their mugs on instagram while wearing nerdy tshirts!

in short, you fucks brought it onto yourself! but y'know keep pushing for CS education and making programming seem sexy and cute, this will only serve to bring the wages down!

Yup, open source is for bright eyed commie kids, the adults are making fucking bank off of it. Stupid idiots.

>you fuckers kept pushing programming in education
they did that with math and look how much of a success that's been.
>nerd culture
we need to promote the use of free software. it's our only hope to escape the cyberpunk dystopian future.

>he has the luxury to sit down and maintain the kernel in his own eccentric manner.
His methods aren't that crazy for the product he's in charge of.
I've worked on projects where people die if shit goes wrong. Some of our senior developers had tactics similar to Linus', but not as personal.

We had pull requests with more "fucks" than entire seasons of South Park.

Where do I subscribe to your blog?

>they did that with math and look how much of a success that's been.
except math is actually hard to learn and competently do, there is no Java of calculus or python of linear algebra, programming is not that difficult, 90% of SW jobs are chump work, let's not kid ourselves!

then go into the 10% of programming jobs that aren't chump work. It's easy to find software jobs that require a huge degree of skill. Unless you're completely inept, you can easily find a field within programming where years of experience are needed to be even considered acceptable.

>start a project
>large corporations build upon it
>you have access to all that shit people got paid to do for free
see, it'd be a real shame if you licensed that shit under MIT, then you'd be right fucked

>see, it'd be a real shame if you licensed that shit under MIT, then you'd be right fucked
that's not always true. If a company wants to recieve updates for the software and doesn't want the expense of maintaining a patchset, then their best option is to try to get their changes merged.
LGPL seems like the ideal license, since it saves devs from having to deal with GPL v2/GPL v3 bullshit, while still giving you back your changes.

That's what software faggots deserve for getting into a low-testosterone work branch instead of glorious hardware.

>As a reward, have to compete with Pajeets from the third world who are paid a third of your wage
H1-B, the wall that actually needs to be built.

>Giving your code for free will make the shareholders of mega-corporations like Google, Apple, Oracle even richer
You realize that mega corporations can't get rich off copying from open source software. Anyone who uses open source code in their project must release that project under the same open source licence. No mega corporation would want that to happen (usually) so they will purchase the code from the original author and in the deal get permission to drop the open source licence requirements.