Do you turn your PC off Jow Forums?

Do you turn your PC off Jow Forums?

Attached: is it.jpg (650x300, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aXflBZXAucQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I havent shut down a computer at night since before 2000

No only sleeping since uni

Why does nobody here seem to ever turn their computers off?

Yes because power is expensive.

No, power is cheap, and I have electric heat anyway. I might as well do something more useful than just run it through a resistor to warm things up.

Because mommy and daddy pay their bills

Sure, since hibernation counts as essentially shutting your stuff down.

The whopping $5 it costs to keep your PC in standby mode throughout the year?

I shut off my laptop at night, mostly because it's just idling, but it's less of an attack surface the less time it's on and connected to the internet

Even there, is there really a point to avoiding it? Sounds to me more like anons being lazy shits and just walking away from the desk.

>Neckbeard calling other neckbeard lazy

What a world

This isn't true, but for me it is. It's just not a valid assertion given how everyone here moves.

But I keep my laptop on because I encrypted the entire HDD with veracrypt, and because booting takes so long, and sometimes it eats my desktop background (presumably because I set it using an image viewer, to evade Firefox adding jpeg compression). Sometimes tray icons don't load, so I have to restart explorer. There's priority for programs starting on boot, so it'll take a while for everything to be in working order again. Sometimes Windows updates finish configuring between restarts, so if you shut down, the next time you boot will be buffered by configuring, right when you wake up and don't need this. AMD drivers take the opportunity to ask me to update my drivers, which I've tried multiple times before, which led to my screen being black, thus requiring I reboot in safe mode and system restore to before the drivers were installed.

It's seriously just hassle for no reason, even if it goes expediently.. Also on SSDs I believe I was told booting is wear you just shouldn't deal with, especially given that SSDs on a laptop require less power and avoid the moving parts of an HDD (safer for data, since laptops might be bumped a lot), so you should try to always prevent shutting down your machine, to respect the SSD giving you more freedom that way. I'm not really that educated on tech, but these are my reasons. Also you should not encrypt your entire hard drive- if the wrong sector gets fucked, you lose literally everything. It might even be the same if ANY sector gets fucked but I'm not sure.

I just close the lid of my laptop when I'm done with work. There is literally no reason to have a desktop unless you are a pedo faggot living in your mother's house. Change my mind.

more powerful, modular, cheaper (at least in the longrun)
gr8 b8 tho

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f (472x720, 313K)

>wooooo muh powerful, modular chipset saves me 0.5 ms of my valuable time!

$ uptime
3:35am up 112 days, 12:02, 8 users, load average: 2.33, 2.69, 2.90
===> uptime
3:35AM up 60 days, 23:35, 2 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.04, 0.01
nope

Sleep mode, because it's safer for the hardware and consumes next to nothing.

Surprised how many computer illiterate people who shut their PCs off here on technology board.

Attached: Oj6Z4TA.jpg (1920x1080, 131K)

I also thought is was bad to keep a laptop battery constantly charging all the time as well tbqh.

No, I suspend to RAM
Low energy consumption, power cycles don't wear the computer, higher uptime is achieved.
Best of both worlds

I sleep about four hours a night, and when I wake up, it's time to fucking hit the ground running, so most of the time it saves precious time keeping everything running until Friday evening. Some of the tools I have to use take fucking forever to startup.

No. I forgot my password and I'm now afraid to turn it off.

Yo I also sleep like four hours but I was just reading that not enough sleep can permanently affect your memory capacity.

not since microsoft broke sleep in windows 10

It can, REM sleep is when your brain transfers short-term memory into the cortex I think. Fortunately this phase is about over, so I can get back to a full eight a night. What do you do that causes so little sleep?

youtube.com/watch?v=aXflBZXAucQ
tl;dr sleep is good for you

As of lately yes because:
- Stupid chink led mouse stays on even with hibernating
- Randomly comes out of hibernation

Ive been doing it since 1993, why stop now? I only hybernate it when i'm away for 15mins to run an errand

I had to restart to update my kernel 42 days ago. Do restarts count?

Attached: screenshot.png (944x454, 44K)

if the restart shuts down the entire pc then yea

windows shuts down in 3 seconds and starts in 10
why would I NOT shut it down?

If you think that's windows' achievement you should just throw your pc out.

I was born and raised in Switzerland. Median wage is ~80'000 CHF a year (pretty much on par with USD) and I am slightly above that. A kwh costs around 18 cents.

Like I give a shit about my electricity bill.

What PC? Its 2018 ffs. I have a smartphone. It works for everything including posting on Jow Forums. Why should I own a PC?

Sleep mode only. I prefer not to listen to dem turbines all night. Fucking fish tank is enough.

Attached: f6d.gif (480x336, 867K)

Because while a phone works, it's also strenuous to use in comparison.

>using a phone is strenuous
wot?

because we Jow Forums and our machines are all we have. to turn them off is ego death.

I have 64gb of RAM and I still turn off my PC

Compared to a keyboard and 13" monitor, it absolutely is. If it wasn't, nobody would ever make something like the superbook or dex dock.

>dad shuts off power because he thinks that'll re-ignite the water heater
>+1 power cycle to all drives

Attached: 1514147294433.jpg (750x842, 73K)

Turn my computer off all the time. Basically every night. Boots in seconds either way so might as well be off

Yes and no, I leave my pc on sleep if i'm leaving my house. Shut it down whenever I sleep, out of town, etc.

Yeah i turn it off when i am not using it to save money

>not turning the computer off at the wall every night to stop the NSA sneakily booting up your hard drive and downloading proof of your futa SFM addiction

It's like you WANT to be blackmailed by the deep state.

Attached: 1525552444101.jpg (832x690, 226K)

No. Sleep mode uses less power since you don't have to reload everything.

There's literally no reason to have a laptop instead of a dekstop unless you're a creepy faggot that goes to the library with his laptop to creep on girls.

I log off at night, sometimes it'll go into hibernate, but the only time I shut it down is if I'm moving it.

Don't you have to restart every time you update the Linux kernal version? At least Arch seems to run kind of wonky after a major update until I restart.

>he intentionally forces his hard drive to spin down and spin up every day

lmao

>hard drive with moving parts

Want a quarter?

Why own a hard drive in 2018? Upgrade your shit or get out solid states are the only way to compute.

Attached: 1520609639859.jpg (500x708, 133K)

>he intentonally keeps it spinning for more hours so it wears down more quickly

Pretty sure power cycles wear out the motor more than just spinning constantly.

citation needed

if i go and do other stuff then i will put my pc into suspend mode because saves some power, but overnight I switch it off because why leave it on? I only have a hard drive as well but i switch it on, then go and grab a cup of tea or something and its ready when i get back.
Works for me. If im on my laptop however i pretty much only use suspend mode.

because they're cheap and I dont store much on my computer anyway so i dont see the point ulu

>If you are familiar with vinyl (phono) players, that’s akin to how a magnetic Disk Drive (HDD) works, the stylus (actually called the read/write head) of the hard disk contacts the magnetic media at start up and shutdowns (especially Desktops HDD). HDDs used in laptops are a little different as they have on and off ramps to move the stylus on and off the magnetic media, but it’s still stressful for the mechanisms involved. The motor of the HDD is usually very robust and outlast everything else, the only cause of concern is typically the motor bearings.
>A HDD actually last longer if it is constantly powered up, and also if a HDD is unpowered for a long time, it is also pretty unhealthy for it because the magnetic data is so small, little bits of particles (smaller than dust) get stuck all over and even the head of the stylus start migrating into the media. So all these factors are also included in a complex calculation estimating it’s current health.
>So power on and off is monitored in the HDD SMART management to provide (internal) software an idea of the HDD’s health and lifespan.

My cats have a tendency to wake my desktop up if I don't turn it off.

>4T ram

where do i upvote on this website? my cat always does this.

it's not really, most laptops run on AC when AC is plugged in. so the battery will just be idling

i shut it down every night. why keep something running when you're not using it? waste of energy.

Attached: v2v25rf.jpg (853x328, 69K)

Nope, have a MPD server stream up all day everyday so I can listen to my playlist while taking a shit

my file server is never turned off

but my pc is turned off (Sleep)

>Boomer

Yes. Sleeping in the same room as my computer, it's just loud, bright, warm and wasteful to keep it on at night. Turn it off, and I'm left with a quiet and dark room to sleep in.

Holy shit.
>buying the power saving meme

Yep. Everytime I leave my pc, even if I'm just going to take a shit

>Leaves PC on for months due to seeding music straight from freeleaching

Attached: 1525990959378.gif (444x250, 2.28M)

That at least counts as a reason (unlike MUH BOOT TIME MUH HDD POWER CYCLES), though a basic NAS can do that with less power.

Attached: 1526079146750.jpg (268x205, 36K)

Some processes are better performed with a more powerful computer.

Having to rebuild the state of my desktop is far more time-consuming than booting.

They don't. But that being said, it is legitimately strange that desktop computers consume such ridiculous amounts of power when idle, not even counting monitors. A laptop consumes one or two orders of magnitude less power when idle, and it's not really as if it does anything qualitatively different than a desktop.

>safer for the hardware

Attached: wat-2.png (700x700, 362K)

There are some pixels on your image that make me doubt its veracity.

Damn I forgot all about this screen it used to bring me such calm

No, I wan't uptime to be a year.
It was 364 days and 22 hours, but fucking electricity shut down.

because the most stressful thing you can do to a computer is turn it on, I have had several hdds never spin again once booted off, would rather minimize that as much as possible.

Also don't like the time it takes to get resetup, on an nvme boot time is a non issue, but then I have to open programs, load files, and get all my shit the way it was before, to spend about 13 cents a night leaving my computer idle, for me the choice isn't hard, about 40$ a year is worth it to me.

>either looking down to it, or continuously holding it at eye level
>touch keyboard
>can display 10 whole lines of text
>can't "click" anything with precision since fingers hide what you're trying to hit
>touch keyboard
>no multiple mouse buttons
>fucking touch keyboard

>not strenuous to use

Attached: okay-1.gif (245x285, 916K)

I'm not so made of money that I want to spendit to replicate my current 10 TB RAID 1 array with SSDs. Not even sure I could fit my server with enough S-ATA ports to pull that off.

Also, fuck SSDs. Just spend the money on RAM instead of increase the block cache. Literally no point in anything else.

only welfare tier poor fags turn off the PC

never needing more power than a laptop gives you is pretty soi

desktop no
laptop only when i'm taking it somewhere

fucking this

so get a UPS if u care that much fucking noob

No,power is cheap and I am not poor. I reboot it once every few days. [spoiler]noise from the fans helps me fall asleep[/spoiler]

>Power cycling your hard drives is a meme
>2018
How many levels of irony are we in? You're not still using ur drives from pre-2010s are you?

My pc is in my bedroom. I value my sleep, so I turn everything off when it's sleepy time.

Yes. My PC boots fast enough so I do it to preserve my ssd usage.

do you turn off your smartphone?
so why turn off your computer?

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-05-02 00:03:28.png (1360x768, 748K)

its an extension of myself and to turn it off is too put it to death

I put it on hibernate.

This is an argument even normies could understand.

>my phone's power draw: 3 watts
>my daily driver's power draw: 450 watts
hit the nail on the head.

t. poorfag

Of course.
Why would I let my PC eat my electricity bill when I'm not even using it?

I even turn off the outlet on which my whole desk is powererd

I turn it off and remove the battery to prevent the CIA niggers from spying on me.