I'm convinced Kindles and Kobos are rip-offs. Are there any good cheap e-readers on the market right now?

I'm convinced Kindles and Kobos are rip-offs. Are there any good cheap e-readers on the market right now?

Attached: Sony_T21.jpg (1194x869, 278K)

Very interested in an eReader as well. I am currently using Onda v820w as an eReader (it's a cheap tablet) but my eyes are burning from using this shit. Need something better.

Check .

check pocketbooks damn it

They're $130 because you don't have to buy a new one every few years like every other device. Buy a goddamn paperwhite, pirate your books, use calibre to convert, and you'll be good until you hang yourself, faggot

you can find used ones for like 40-50$. I found a brand new but used kindle paperwhite 3 for just 50$. only because it had a small scuff mark on the bezel. they arent rip offs because you can literally just pirate any books or manga you want to read. thats what i do. 50$ for my kindle and not a dime for my books. its pretty awesome

theyre very worth it simply because its possible to never pay for a book again (you can put pirated books and PDFs on a kindle)

I got a refurbished Kobo Aura for $60 off eBay like 4 years ago. It was like-new, and it's still working great. Battery lasts forever. I would recommend.

Do you guys know if it can support ebooks with let's say tables and charts in it?
What if I use calibre on a pdf file, won't it fuck up my charts?

most decent ereaders can directly display PDFs

youve used it how many times now? twice?
thanks for the advice homo
also I dont buy used

Good to know. Thanks.

So, Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Aura One?

WRONG

>also I dont buy used
That's why you're poor

Yep, the kobo. Or a kindle.

Kobo. I'm saving for one myself.

I'm just using a tablet.

>autonomy is like 20 hours when reading with battery saving on
> Has Wi-fi, bluetooth for downloading more stuff
> better resolution
> Since people watch films on these things, screen is big enough to read most books without resizing
> any recent one can color shift towards orange, eyes don't even hurt
> actually cheaper, what the fuck why does a Kindle costs 150$

Get the paperwhite, if you are a night reader like me

Have you ever used one? I don't think so

Just get an old kindle. Battery lasts forever and does the thing you want, i.e. read sodding books

Are there any ereaders that don’t phone home to the botnet and take AA/AAA batteries with a large amount of storage? I want one for my bug-out bag.

what, a kindle ?
I did try one at the store, later borrowed one from a friend, wasn't impressed.
Most of the stuff I read is full of images anyway

What's that book. What's their secret.
Reee

idk about batteries, but the old nook ereader has an SD slot and the old kobos use an SD internally that can be swapped out IIRC.

>Most of the stuff I read is full of images anyway
>read
We're talking about e-readers, not comicbook readers.

calibre is dogshit and runs like molasses

k2pdfopt and kindlegen at the cli are for pros

Why the fuck would you want it to use regular batteries

They're already basically sold at cost so they can profit off of store sales. How poor are you that $100-$300 is a rip off?

yeah, but even normal books can have images in them. Like how fantasy books have maps.
I'm reading stuff for work, books on math, fluid mechanics and such, you typically have a graph every now and then. Looks like shit on e-readers.

Attached: nene1.png (900x506, 596K)

Any reason for getting the Kobo instead of Kindle?

More format support, large screen, more storage.

My Paperwhite 2 literally won't display certain letters in PDF files due to its shoddy PDF implementation. They had one job and managed to fuck it up. As a workaround I convert to jpg with k2pdfopt.

Some user recommend them to me a while ago but it seems they are plagued by faulty firmware (specially on the new, large screen device).

they suck at displaying them, the text ends up too small. And they're difficult(impossible?) to convert properly to a format that works with the caliber program

>And they're difficult(impossible?) to convert
USE
K2PDFOPT

Attached: before-and-after-k2pdfopt.jpg (800x600, 44K)

>rip-offs
There is only one company making e-Ink displays. This is really the reason. (There's another one who cloned the technology in China, but as far as I remember their display tech is very behind)

thanks user, will look into it

Ereaders are for unstructured text i.e. reading. If that's not what you need then look elsewhere. It's pointless to come by and say they suck for reading when you actually mean something else.

I'm still rocking my K4NT from 2012 and with Duokan and KOReader I have no need to upgrade whatsoever.
Also, since I live in a region where most Amazon promotions don't apply they waived the special offers from my Kindle for free so that saved me 30 dollars from the final price.
Don't be a consumerist bitchnigga.

>Are there any ereaders that don’t phone home to the botnet
Every single one in existence, assuming you have wi-if turned off.
>AA/AAA batteries
>I want one for my bug-out bag
Just get a waterproof one and buy a solar USB charger.

>own a basic pocketbook
>has a web browser
>you can email books to your special adress and the in-build software will automatically put them on your library the next time you log in

bretty good desu.

kindle has better dictionary tho

>don’t phone home to the botnet
I have literally never turned on the wifi connectivity on my Paperwhite.

>take AA/AAA batteries
What the fuck is wrong with you?
If you're this obsessed, just use a powerbank using the kind of cells you want. No one in their right mind is making consumer electronics that take AA/AAA anymore.

I have a Kindle paper white. It dose what I want and then some. So I am fine with it.

Attached: 1525924154208.jpg (310x207, 56K)

Just bought this Sony PRS-T2. What am I in for ? I heard it's possible to use an old android version on it.

Attached: sony reader.png (1080x1534, 1.53M)

You just bought it but it's still got the shop alarm on it? Looks like someone stole it...

better formats, no DRM

whoosh

Hey I have a question, do these things render other writing system properly? Like anything is used in Asia and other parts of the world, because I was thinking that if the chink govt wanted to increase the literacy in their country surely they could mass produce a kindle clone.

They use embedded Linux and speak TTF and Unicode, so I don't see why not.

Reminder that the filthy Indian who made Calibre out of the slowest and heaviest elements of the universe, which is ostensibly a file conversion program, won't add DOC support just because he doesn't feel like it

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 6.51.02 PM.png (775x767, 121K)

noone is forcing you to use it fucktard

Why would they make eink screens to do that though? Although they're much nicer to read on they're still basically a luxury tech product. There's no reason the chinks wouldn't just print 1366x768 tn panels for pennies for this hypothetical program.