If you could give your young self that just started getting into programming and CompSci one piece of advice...

If you could give your young self that just started getting into programming and CompSci one piece of advice, what would it be?

>dont.

Attached: business-advice[1].jpg (1920x973, 110K)

>look into blockchains and cryptocurrency, mine bitcoin as soon as it goes public.

> learn to program instead of ricing Linux

Internship asap

>money
>experience
>can't waste time with videogames while working

Don't get involved with web development. Don't work for companies where sales teams decide what you work on.

>Don't waste your time on c++, assembly and reverse engineering, learn java/obj-c Android/iOS

Study something that you really like

>don't be an incel
>t. 35 year old kissless virgin

Dump the compsci bullshit and take up finance and marketing.

Spend all of your student maintenance loan on £2000 worth of Bitcoin

>invest all of your money into javascript

Why?

No jobs.

>Don't get involved with web development
why user? did a web dev module for my first year at uni and thought it was p fun. what's wrong with it?

Money is only thing matters, other things are autistic manchildren unable works in real world (functional programming).

Do the homework on time. Actually turn it in.

"You're not mentally ready for this shit. Join the fucking military for a few years so you don't go through ten years of languishing in bullshit jobs while you learn self discipline."

Start with math in the first place, apply to math schools not CS schools.

Read the second part of his comment to see why.

Invest more in math. Look into machine learning early on. Only bother learning python, c++, c, and javascript. Study leetcode.com first year of school. Don't give a shit about gpa just focus on internships.

DELETE YOUR VIDEO GAMES FROM YOUR PC

So does everyone hate what they do?
>t. not employed

Isn't that stuff useful in security?

That's a tiny subindustry. 95% of programmers are going to be working on some useless corporate shit.

OOP sucks

Install gentoo

ricing linux won't give you any substantial relevant knowledge?

>>>dont.
this, but unironically. If I'd known how things would turn out - web shit everywhere, who-you-know and networking being just as if not more paramount than it is in other fields, being expected to do the "right" projects and learn the "right" tools and frameworks on your own time, with a degree being necessary but basically overhead - I never would have gone into the field.

Attached: 1498636049069.jpg (443x701, 55K)

dont do programming, do enterprise systems and become an analyst.

Java is garbage, go for Python, it's not amazing but it doesnt need JVM trash either.

Apples v oranges, but I don't know what I expect from this board anymore.

Attached: 29695445_1894013280891208_9150749585897947136_o.jpg (2048x1211, 291K)

t. poster who does not live in Washington DC

No, it isn't.

Point that bullshit back at yourself, clearly you are not familiar with this industry.

Pull the trigger on that mining rig you're thinking of buying.

it will teach you how not to get laid

>start with the greeks
>you'd probably learn faster if you found a group or a club or something for this shit, instead of agonizing for years over problems that have already been solved

>go immediately on Jow Forums and do the opposite of what they say

Learn english instead because you clearly didn't

lol no

what? his english is just fine, sergei

If you know the low level stuff, making apps is easy. Most of the difficulty comes from how shitty the SDKs are. It's half way to webdev.

t. big 4 mobile/security

>Install Gentoo, not for the meme but because there is a lot to learn while doing so
>Invest in Bitcoins as soon as you hear about it, and invest seriously
>Get a used thinkpad and a spare HDD for it

>get a fully specced 2015 Macbook Pro as soon as they are released, as they are the last good gen
>spend your time being productive instead of ricing linux

>ricing linux won't give you any substantial relevant knowledge?
I really hope that wasnt a serious question.

>companies
leave asap. Enter med school

everyone is a dick and you have to suck them or you will end up unemployed for years, depressed and suicidal to the point you wish you never got into this shit.

>buy bitcoin

>don't like the daily grind?
>become an alcoholic with no life or join a clinic where you make pennies compared to your big admin hospitals even though you have 200k in debt with 6-8% interest rate

>I don't want to do it because I have to do stuff I have to do in every single field
You sound like a little bitch, seriously. Computer Science/Software dev has the best ease:pay ratio of new grads.

One, I don't care a lot about money. It's easy to have enough of it if you don't blow it on stupid shit. Second I think we have different definitions of ease. I don't know about yours but mine is more about a minimum of brown-nosing, "networking" and all that other social bullshit, not about the difficulty of the actual work. I was originally attracted to CS based on the idea that I could by and large get a job just by proving that I could write code, and then once I had it, sit in a room all day writing code, without having to know or care about any office politics or who so-and-so talked to about such-and-such. Anecdotally I've heard that programming really was once like that, but sometime after the dot-com boom too many normalfags flooded in and ruined everything.

Python syntax is garbage. Java rapes it

>join the military instead, there are no adventures in a cubicle

Can you expand on this? What do you wish you had done?

>javascript
why do you need it for machine learning?

i dont even use python, but you're seriously deluding yourself. java is the one of the most verbose disgusting languages out there. i'd put it up there with cobol.

>the nice thing about FP is never having to deal with pajeets. the bad thing about FP is having to deal with everything else

Don't waste your time on Runescape or the Roblox forums

school ranking does matter, try and get into a better school for cs

anything above 200 is shit

I'd tell 18yo me to go to military or med school. Also to do SS+GOMAD.

Go get an ADHD diagnosis

Go to trade school. Don't listen to these Jow Forums idiots about CS. CS is not nearly as cool or interesting as you think it is. The tech industry is genuinely horrible in every way. Don't listen to Jow Forums autists who think money matters

If she says, "cum in me baby" and claims she's on birth control, don't do it.

Buy Bitcoin and otherwise continue as previously

im 19 and still havent figures out what I want to do.
what would Jow Forums advice? Preferably not uni because I like working atm, I just want to have a direction and really kickstart a career.

If you're not planning on going to Uni, make sure you can secure yourself some good work experience instead, or nobody will even look at you.

It can be done, but you need to be a very skilled programmer to get away with it. And that still doesn't mean that you get to behave like an autistic cunt to your colleagues.

I don't regret being a tradie, but it's not as great as you think. Physical and mental exhaustion kick in when you're working on a big project. Try being fifty feet in the air on a scaffold for ten hours when it's "crunch time," instead of sitting in an office chair. I taught myself to program on weekends so I'd have a productive hobby that let me rest my bones.

Military.

Sitting in an office all day can also be both depressing and awful for your physical health.

It's true, but you can stand up and walk around. It's hard to just have a sit when you're way up on a scaffold.

>was huge into computers when I was a kid.
>Started with Qbasic, moved into c++, and eventually 8086 assembler. The fucking golden age.
>read books about operating systems etc.
>got job making web pages in high school, pay was good but realized it boring as fuck working on somebody elses shit. Hated sterile enviornment, people were tools.
>went into automotive.
>12 years later my body hurts and I want more money.

So I've been trying to make a decision on whether or not to get back into CS. Maybe I can get past the issues I had early on. However, watching these day in the life of a programmer videos makes me think that these people are not really intelligent they just think they are. They memorize some frame work and just churn out crap. Idk if I'd be able to deal with coworkers pompous attitudes knowing this. The people in these videos seem like arrogant sudo intellectuals just because they know java. Also how soul crushing is one of these jobs really? How much time do you have to follow your hobbies, persuits etc.

1.Read more and trust less.

>want more as a mechanic
Diesel? I'm an engineer who designs industrial vehicle systems. The guys we pay to travel and work on heavy machinery on-site make more than I do. Literally 170k/yr+ paid travel expenses and platinum benefits. Only downside is that you're on the job site for anywhere between a few days to a month.

Fords. Light diesel F-250 to F-550. I make between 60 - 70k a year, work 10 minutes from home. Hours are 8 - 4:30. No weekends. No toolbags to deal with. But its hard on your body, and the heat in the summer is brutal.

I’m opposite, med school was a mistake, bored. Left and did cs.

Look for a new job if you're the most skilled person in the current workplace.

Is working in IT really that much of a nightmare?
I am thking about switching to CS because of the same reason as everyone. I like programming and solving shit. However I don't want to be a soulless workerdrone in some office sliding into depression...

Sysadmin here. I hate my job because I got better at and therefor get more responsibilites. Also the whole social bullshittery HR is pushing is annoying as fuck. Just let me work and leave me alone, you fucking asshats.

>10 mins to work
Living the dreamy dude. I have never had less than a two hour commute. Cherish that shit. My back is totally fucked from sitting in the car so much.

I'm in the same boat. Plus 100 degrees pretty much all summer then a cold ass winter. Only people who have never done manual labor suggest trades. I had to teach myself programming and went back to online college but still not 100% out

switching from what?

If you can get a top tier industry job, you will make enough money in a decade (or under) that you will never have to work again. You don't need to be the best, just study Cracking the Coding Interview.

Some of these jobs can still be menial and soul-crushing, but you get fed organic steak and work in a manchild Chuck E Cheeses all day.

biology

I've got a kid brother that's about retarded math/book learning-wise. I suggested trade because he's decent with shit if he can put his hands on it. Got something better?

>Some of these jobs can still be menial and soul-crushing, but you get fed organic steak and work in a manchild Chuck E Cheeses all day.
Yep. Just recently I spent 4 months writing identical tests that already existed for another framework.

Learn node and react immediately

Don't take the .net job

Search for a grab job way earlier than you did

grad*

>Focus on JS
Also start saving up for an exit bag.

Lacking Math (visuo-spatial IQ) ability isn't a life-destroying problem if you have verbal IQ to spare. It just narrows your choices and puts you in competition with a lot of diversity-hires in the liberal arts, law, and humanities fields. Most great lawyers are pretty bad at math, ditto professors outside of the STEM fields. But if he isn't a top performer in that either, yeah, trades are the best bet. The only alternative I can think of would be if he has a lot of charisma. That skill alone pretty much ensures a solid career in sales and/or politics.