C++

Will? C++ become obsolete in the future/near future? I want to start learning it but I'm worried about wasting my time on a soon to be dead language.

Attached: create-cpp-file.png (726x276, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-programming-languages-are-used-at-Amazon/answers/22768456
youtube.com/watch?v=G-vlQaPMAxg
github.com/graalvm/graalpython
github.com/graalvm/graaljs
github.com/cretonne/cretonne
github.com/cretonne/cretonne/tree/master/lib/codegen/meta
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes. Learn Rust.

C++ will prevail till the end of time.

its niche is going to keep shrinking but it won't disappear completely

No.
-all serious programs are written in C/C++
-all meme languages' interpreters/compilers are written in C++

Will C++*

This is a big, big "maybe". Even if that's the case, it will take years until the libs are on the same level as the ones in C++. Frankly it's worthwhile to learn just to see what others have written in it.

C is a niche language
C++ is not

C++ has such a huge market share (#3 on TIOBE) that there's no way it's going anywhere. Languages like Rust might take a tiny bit of its market share but not nearly enough for you to be concerned.

Rust is barely used in practice. It might be worth learning to better understand the pitfalls of C/C++, but choosing Rust over C++ is a bad career move.

C is one of the only languages more popular than C++.

>-all serious programs are written in C/C++
is AWS serious enough for you?
quora.com/What-programming-languages-are-used-at-Amazon/answers/22768456

>-all meme languages' interpreters/compilers are written in C++
oracle is replacing the C++ JIT compiler in their JVM implementation with one written in Java. twitter has already switched to it
youtube.com/watch?v=G-vlQaPMAxg
same thing with C#, the roslyn compiler is written in C#

Attached: ss-2018-05-01-20-59-24.png (976x519, 107K)

Start learning kotlin or rust.

What are your opinions on Golang? Will it gain popularity?

it already has

Attached: lang.rank_.118.png (1050x744, 123K)

No

not even google uses golang for their own projects
it was a language developed for new hires too stupid for C, and yet they kept all of the drawbacks of C with none of the benefits
You have pointers, but cannot do arithmetic with them, rendering them completely useless.
It was designed like a language from the 70s and didn't adopt any modern quality of life features.

the fact that you can't even use generics killed it right away and nobody uses it outside of back-end server stuff, because having native networking functionality in it's standard library is it's ONLY redeeming feature.

Attached: go generics.jpg (730x398, 58K)

You sound like you're a beginner. If that's the case, I suggest you either learn an easier language like C# or Java; or just regular C if you want to go deep. C++ is an abomination between these two and will only make things unnecessarily confusing. After you've learned C and some typical OO language you can start learning C++. Could also touch some functional programming to understand templates.

>Rust
Rust is shit
It's like they took the shittiest characteristics of C++ (ugly overcomplicated byzantine syntax, misguided abstractions) and made them even worse
And unlike C++ there isn't a good language inside Rust that is trying to get out.
And I haven't even mentioned the Rust "community" which makes Rust even worse
Rust is shit

Stick with Java and C. Take up C++ as needed. Chances are you won't unless you are in a few fields where it is dominant.

You can use C++ like any meme language with smart pointers and lambdas. No need to learn Java or C# first.

>java
pffffffffff-AHAHAHAHA

This

You can if you know it, but the question is whether a beginner will do so. For a beginner C++ is a big maze to get lost in.

good argument, but you forgot to mention indians

Attached: 1-1.jpg (1166x700, 123K)

oops wrong image.......
haha POO

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (3000x1688, 444K)

No, C# and C++ will remain the dominant languages for everything: Mobile, IoT, Backends, Cloud, Desktop and, in the future, even Front ends using Webassembly.

Qt now have WebAssembly support
C# have Blazor.

>C# and C++ will remain the dominant languages
>remain
are microbabbies even aware of the world outside their microbubble?

Attached: ss-2018-05-11-23-05-18.png (540x308, 8K)

What are your managed interpreters for those languages written in?
How about the web browser and your javascript engine?

It's all C or C++.

Sure, but the beginner doesn't know jack shit about Java or C# either. It all depends on how good the teaching materials are. I'd much rather teach someone how unique_ptr works vs handwaving the JVM or CLR.

sorry kotlin is the language of the future and if you think otherwise you're a dumb code monkey who only codes for money and not for the passion

GraalVM is fucking awesome from what I've seen. I can't wait for compiling Clojure programs into small static native binaries for deployment.

>C++ is niche
Jow Forums everyone

kek wrong one

Attached: nagoorcorejava.gif (849x458, 153K)

Zig is to Rust as C is to C++ :)

Attached: (PNG Image, 225 × 225 pixels).png (225x225, 2K)

Care to elaborate what you base your claims on? Not saying you're wrong, just curious about my career moves.

think about software created on C++ for the past 28 years. After that you will probably understand, will this language die or not.

Firefox is integrating Rust components, like the new parallel CSS engine.

>What are your managed interpreters for those languages written in?
Java is moving to GraalVM which is written in Java and can also run Python and JavaScript
github.com/graalvm/graalpython
github.com/graalvm/graaljs
The performance is already comparable and this is just the beginning.

>How about the web browser and your javascript engine?
Great, that's two programs. Your point being?

Attached: 5974c98813999.png (1295x733, 89K)

performance is never obsolete

Mozilla is written a JIT backend in rust for the next generation of spider monkey

github.com/cretonne/cretonne

i was tying to be an edgy memester but if you do go into JVM languages definitely check it out. though getting hired for JVM stuff your best bet is gonna be to start with java obviously

Kotlin isn't a bad choice if you're doing android dev desu

I think the weirdest part of GraalVM to me is the ability to embed it in a database like Oracle or PostgreSQL. That seems deliberately designed to create monstrous non-portable databases with a bunch of application logic embedded directly inside. On the other hand, the more logic is inside the database itself, the thinner a client application can be. Being able to communicate directly between a DB and a static/frontend-only website via Graal stuff could cut a metric ton of CPU time out of deploying a webapp.

Mozilla will be bankrupt in a matter of hours, Rust will die on the vine before its out of beta

>have so many problems groking cpp in college
>literal fetish of my profs is seeples
>nightmares never end and finally start to get it
>graduate totally confident in my ability to wrangle it
>best job offer for a python dev role
>haven't used cpp in over a decade
I don't recommend it.

This.

Only soibois think they can replace it with rust

>Python 25%
>Rust code has to drop down to Python for performance

Attached: yfw.jpg (800x600, 119K)

>management: hey I see you have this cool graal thing, but can we use it to give oracledb and mysql an edge over the competition?
>graal team: we're n-not su-
>management: can you, like, just put it inside our databases?
>graal team: s-sure...

github.com/cretonne/cretonne/tree/master/lib/codegen/meta
it's only used for rust code generation

Yeah but they added it to PostgreSQL too, which directly competes with Oracle DB. Maybe the idea was to shit on MSSQL?

Most uneducated Jow Forums post of the day.

Attached: javavscpp.png (2445x1443, 397K)

Rust is so dead it never even took off. It will never replace c++

Never node js is built on it

Maybe in a decade or two, when the compiler catches up to GCC/Clang level of performance. Because right now, it's one of the most stupid compilers out there.

>Will? C++ become obsolete in the future/near future?
Considering both the language and the standard library are getting new revisions ever three years, I'd say that no, it's not going anywhere.

>Nobody uses it

Bitcoin Lightning implementations are using it to good effect.

>0 technical issues
>worries about people and community
the power of Jow Forums

>"""misguided abstractions"""

Nigga roslyn is a compiler as a library, not msbuild itself /facepalm

Very much so.

>C has the same amout of programmers that it had 10, maybe 20, years ago
>Jow Forums says that is dying
I don't know why I keep coming here

This is a misinformation. Google absolutely use Golang for almost everything internally on the SRE side. Python is also used, but those projects are still being ported over to Go now.

Basically this. Microfuck doing extend embrace extinguish again but this time it is very swet poison.

>Weapon of DURGASOFT

> I'm worried about wasting my time on a soon to be dead language.
> recommends a dead language.
top kek

Attached: 1525868844120.png (471x467, 330K)

What's that? It looks like improved C
>actual type system
>cool compile time shit
>syntactic sugar to avoid C boilerplate
Is this about right?

Worse than a dead language, a toxic language, which does not accept any other vision than its own.

So C++ is far from being a dying language. And even if it were; it currently exists a tremendous amount of systems relying and consisting of C++. Meaning competent C++ developers will be needed in the future for maintenance.

You should learn C before anything.

C/C++ and Java will last at least 4 more decades.

I don't want to be unemployed

Dude, stay away from C++ until you will know how to program in anything else. C++ is complicated beast. Powerful however.

Sure is, bub

There is a lot of misguided opinions on C++ on Jow Forums and other communities. There's obviously a lot of ego stroking for people when it comes to programming languages. Naturally C++ is the hardcore language, and therefore the cool language to argue about why it's so much better than every other language.

No one ever talks about the reality of being a professional C++ developer. Here's the reality of a lot of companies that use C++. A huge amount of C++ software is old, written multiple decades ago. A lot of these C++ systems are important, mission critical stuff for the business. A lot of these C++ systems are horrible, antiquated pieces of shit. The problem with C++ is if you don't have a very skilled person steering the ship of a C++ system it is almost guaranteed to be a disaster for maintenance in the long run. Most people are not skilled enough to write good, maintainable C++ code. It's not an easy thing to do. We're not even touching the problems that legacy C++ systems have if they were using Visual C++ back in the 90s. Back then Microsoft's C++ libraries were mostly garbage, so people were often forced to write their own libraries to achieve common tasks. Naturally these libraries have problems because they're not battle tested and refined like most common libraries are.

The reality of being a professional C++ developer can become a nightmare really quickly. If you thrive in this environment and enjoy this go for it, but don't expect a wonderland of brilliant programmers always following best practices. This can be good job security though, I know some people who are experts in legacy C++ systems and it's pretty much secured them a $200k job for life.

cpluplus more like see butt butt! lol XD

500k starting
no brainlets allowed

>battle tested
stopped reading and filtered your post

Wow, really guys? This is how I see it:
High performance project where every cycle counts = asm or c
General projects with smart devs = c++
General project with mixed competency devs or where fast development is higher priority than performance = c#(and java, but I think it is dying a slow and painful death)
Heavily multithreaded applications = rust
Web dev = c# asp + vanilla js front-end and a postgresql db when needed
Pajeet web dev =js with any number of shitty frameworks, thick clients even when inappropriate, and a mysql db along with some shitty hodgepodge of backend frameworks, languages and hellfire.
Indie machine learning =python and js
Real machine learning development = c++
Google machine learning = go
Other companies use their own proprietary shit.
Anything else is very niche or a meme. DO NOT INVEST TIME LEARNING THEM UNLESS YOU M-U-S-T!

Python is written using C/C++ so no, C++ is not going obsolete anytime soon. Someone needs to do the dirty work of optimizing the machine learning and deep learning Python libraries.

I agree, that's why if you have any dumb developers I recommend c# because it is harder to break thanks to the vm and other safeguards.

>Java is dying a slow and painful death
That's where you invalidated your post.

All serious programs use the small subset of C++ that makes C bearable. And whenever people can, they replace it with something else (e.g. the Java VM is being rewritten in Java because the C++ is a mess and even the guy who designed it does not want to touch it anymore).
For computer games, for example, the use of C++ is stretched on two sides: the real-time graphic rendering stuff is increasingly written in shader languages (which look like C) and the game logic written in things like Lua. There is no more good reason to keep C++ around except that at the moment many libraries and engines are written in C++.
But in the future you can go a very long way with a core in a managed language (say C#) which does not have memory safety issues, gaming logic in a scripting language like Lua or JavaScript, and rendering in a shader language (GLSL/HLSL).

On the desktop, same thing. There is a lot of legacy, but for new apps you can use C# and Windows Forms.

C++ is a horrible language that should be buried. To make things worse, the standard committee is a bunch of wankers obsessed by clever tricks, and they are moving the language in a stupid direction instead of fixing stuff that has been broken forever.

Qt is adding support for Python because no one wants to program in C++
It's a great framework written in the worst language

It's interesting how you forgot the most popular programming language ever, which reigns supreme server-side, in corporate IT and on Android.

I'm assuming you mean Java, look closely, he mentioned it. And said it was dying lol

It is dying, and in my opinion that's a good thing.
>Java applets were replaced by flash, then html5
>Java's popularity for desktop apps has waned significantly
>companies have large amounts of legacy Java code, but many companies are slowly starting to move to other languages like C# or their own propriety shit-language.
>Java for phones is being replaced with C# xamarin, and js frameworks like react and angular.

It's not dead, and I can see it going pretty strong for about a decade yet, but it's on the way out. At the very least it will lose MUCH of its previous dominance. I doubt anyone would argue that, especially as the number of alternatives grows.

Attached: iQnM29lPnDWes.gif (408x398, 114K)

> but many companies are slowly starting to move to other languages like C# or their own propriety shit-language.
If they're moving anywhere it's to other JVM languages.

>companies have large amounts of legacy Java code, but many companies are slowly starting to move to other languages like C# or their own propriety shit-language.
nobody is moving to C# you deluded microbabby

Attached: ss-2018-05-01-20-35-39.png (1008x541, 92K)

and it's C# that's being slowly replaced btw

Attached: lang-growth-projection.png (1024x878, 264K)

Apple has 1.3x more Java openings than a year ago
Google 2.2x
Microsoft 1.8x
Facebook 5.6x

Attached: ss-2018-05-12-12-22-03.png (787x638, 35K)

On the other hand -- Oracle is working hard to make people go away from Java.

There is so much legacy code written in C++ that you really should learn it. When you get a job you are very likely to work with old code.

Rust is dependent on C++ unless they plan on rewriting or replacing llvm.

I find C++ quite ugly. The flaws of C++, as I recall from when I studied the matter around 1990, include syntax and semantics. As for syntax, its grammar is ambiguous, and it is gratuitously incompatible with C, which blocks the smooth upgrade path from C to C++. As for semantics, the abstract object facility of C++ is designed around the case where the real type of an object is known at compile time. However, in that case, abstract objects are equivalent to a naming convention for functions to call. The case where abstract objects add real power to a language is when the type is not known until run time. C++ does handle that, but it seems to be an afterthought, a poor relation. I suspect that I would find plenty of ugliness in the template library, but I don't know. That was added to C++ after I studied it.