How do you set up your partitions? Do you just put everything into one partition, or separate /home, /var, etc.?

How do you set up your partitions? Do you just put everything into one partition, or separate /home, /var, etc.?

I always just shove everything into one partition (not including a swap partition) but I'm wondering if I've been doing it all wrong. What does Jow Forums do?

Attached: interested linux frog.jpg (640x479, 57K)

One partition

i change distros about every month and a separate home partition is pretty much necessary for that

1mb grub
700mb boot
8gb swap
-1 /

20gb (or 25gb when i feel FROGGO) - /
And 8gb - swap

Only root and swap because mbr only allows a maximum of four partitions and Windows is using the other two partitions.

256MB /boot
Fill the rest with LVM

/
/boot
/home
/tmp as tmpfs
bunch of shit in /media

I use C: for os, D: for 20GB Recovery, another 200MB for SYSTEM and some good used 100MB for the important HP Tools.

You don*t need to run the /var command...
Feels good being smarter than you guys.

>and some good used 100MB for the important HP Tools

Attached: pensive mongol scratching his chin.jpg (462x355, 40K)

>/var command
>fucking batch
disgusting

5GB vfat EFI partition

Rest is root.

/boot
luks with lvm container for root, home and swap
recently added 3rd partition with full fledged read-only linux (basically what you'd find on a live disc)

on a side note: if you put swap on a disk hdd, make sure it is located in the outermost sectors
you can read/write faster there

/boot
/root
/swap
/home

Attached: 1521574695566.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

I have a home partition, swap, and rest is in one partition
(You)

Attached: 1526023309386.jpg (970x545, 96K)

OS is on two SSDs running in RAID0
Old Data is on a 1tb hard drive in one single partition
New data is on another 1tb hard drive separated into fast access and data storage. Fast access is a 200gb partition on the outside of the disk which gives it better read/write times.
Archived data is on a 500gb hardrive in a single partition.

root SSD: /boot swap /
mdadm RAID1 / RAID10 pool: /home

3 Partitions, One Swap, other one is Root and the last one is the rest of my SSD, that is mounted as data and I put everything there, I make symlinks to the Data mounted partition from home folders such as ~/Downloads, documents, music, etc, so that way whenever I put a file inside /home on these folders the synlinks do its trick and is automatically backed up, on the partition that I never erase and always have all my files. Is like having a different home partition without the hassle of having to get permissions to make modifications on the home folder when you reinstall a distro.

>using physical media to install Linux
Why am I not surprised it's a frogpost?

4 partitions
~200MB /boot
~12GB [SWAP]
~25GB /root
Rest /home

Multiple partitions were important historically, and still have their place in many systems... but one partition (excluding swap and efi) for everything is better for 90% of systems. The only reason for multiple on home systems is when you need to protect data from frequent reinstalls: ie /home

>I've been doing it all wrong.
Kinda, it's a lot easier to reinstall the system if you have a / and a /home partition. You format the first and leave the second untouched.

Lately I'm using the template from Debian: var, home, root and swap. I think it's more secure but it's not mandatory to do it.

128 GB ssd to root, 2tb hdd to home

/boot esp and basically a bunch of crypt Dev mappers and btrfs.

On my application btrfs part /srv, I have per application subvolumes that I make read only snapshots and backup individually onto another multidevice array using xfs.

haha what a retard i just install mine from the cloud

Proof Linux is a meme

30GB /
2x RAM for swap
4GB /tmp
rest of the drive is /home

Single partition, when I reinstall I'd rather not carry over old config files and all my data is on separate drives anyway

>5GB vfat EFI partition
You mean 5MB, right?

1 partition for root and one EFI partition I mount on /boot

It's the retarded tripfag, of course he meant 5GB.

As few partitions as necessary. Sometimes you need a boot partition. Swap partitions too.

Multiple partitions & everything on LVM2 or something else that allows reallocating space.

All in one partition because I'm bad at my job.

separate /home in case I fuck up everything else

>Only one encrypted partition on disk
>partition is an LVM with two logical volumes

>one for swap
>one for everything else

Arch machine is:
/ 20GB
/Boot 512MB
/Home everything else
Use a swap file

Windows is:
C:/512 GB SSD
D:/ striped ntfs array of 2x2tb drives for steamlibrary
E:/ a 2tb drive for some local media, documents, vanilla game files before modding.
Z:/ is a mapped network drive to my NAS

FreeNAS machine is:
/ 120 gb SSD
/Volumes/Share is a 3x3tb Z1 array with most of it assigned to a giant samba instance. Everything else is a few small jails

750gb ssd as a single LVM VG and PG
everything else is a bunch of LVs

500MiB /dev/mapper/t430-boot -> /boot
8GiB /dev/mapper/t430-swap -> /swap
>"just werks" ubuntu netinst+i3 install
25GiB /dev/mapper/t430-ubuntu-> /
250GiB /dev/mapper/t430-ubuntu-home -> /home
>arch meme install
10GiB /dev/mapper/t430-arch -> /
10GiB /dev/mapper/t430-arch-home -> /home

NAS at home has several NFS shares that get mounted with autofs to various points on /media
/media/isos
/media/backups
/media/music
...etc...

i just grow the LVs when I need to

>/
>/var
>/tmp
>/home
>swap

>haha what a retard i just install mine from the cloud
Ah yes, the cloud that you connect to when your system doesn't have an OS installed. Wait a sec...

>he doesn't know about iPXE
you can literally boot from an http server over wifi lmfao

Can you install Linux over that?

Everything in one place and no swap

why all you fags have huge swaps? assuming you dont hibernate and have at least 2G ram. that’s nasty. jesus christ

Attached: E8FDD02C-9855-4A83-B63F-91A9CC8503DB.jpg (436x384, 19K)

>doesn't prove anything

Swap isn't needed anyway. And I hope no one uses tmpfs for security purposes with a swap file cause I got bad news for you.

gay: the posts

sane person use the following:
>/dev
>/sys
>/lib
>/lib64
>/proc

well ipxe is a bootloader... you can basically boot any arbitrary kernel (check the multiboot standard for specifics) from any arbitrary location - FTP, SAN, HTTP, HDD, whatever. so, if there's some .iso on an FTP or HTTP server somewhere... like cdimage.debian.org/

you do the math

X: boot partition - BOOTMGR and WinRE.
D: data partition, page file, hosts VHD.
C: VHD holding Windows.

>they don't know how or why to short stroke a hard drive

Attached: -EBTW64.jpg (1300x956, 108K)

Lets all look at the retard and laugh.

>2018
>still using a hard drive for your OS

Attached: Disgust4.png (1118x1004, 906K)

people who cite everyone usually expose themselves as a retard right after

good job user, you didnt let me down

r/woosh

All in one partition buddy, I don't even bother with shit like this because I use FDE on Debian in case the laptop gets stolen.

>128Mb FAT32 /boot
>f2fs/xfs/btrfs /

/ and /home

Attached: 1525268033770.png (480x480, 69K)

Forgot about tmpfs.
No swap.

boot, root, swap, and home.

It depends on role.
If its desktop, put all in one
if its server, then separeted partitons

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f63646e2e646973636f72646170702e636f6d2f656d6f6a69732f33353735313331343036323935333637 (112x112, 20K)

ok, looks like this
encrypted /boot
encrypted LVM
-/
-/home
-/usr/portage
-/var

ssd:`
/boot
/swap
/usr
/var
/opt
/
hdd:
/srv
/home

/, /boot/ and /home/ (and swap)
Anything else is retarded

If you're not a hopeless distro-hopper like I don't see why you'd bother with a separate /home

What are extended partitions.

>windows
kill yourself faggot

>Do you just put everything into one partition,
KEK

Who would actually be this retarded and live?

>Anything else is retarded
>Says the guy who keeps /usr on the root partition

What is fucking GPT, it's 2018

It's pointless to separate them. Also some distros have /bin and /lib symlinked to /usr/bin and /usr/lib.

1. Grub
2. Windows
3. Linux
4. /home
5. /swap iirc

1gb fat efi, rest of the disk as lvm
lvm has only /

Attached: 2018-05-12-14:56:33-screenshot.png (1270x710, 42K)

If you boot with efistub and have your initrd build into the kernel itself you will need a lot more space on your efi partition

>2018
>use swap

Attached: 15261178295120.jpg (548x634, 131K)

/
/boot
/boot/efi
/home
/swap
/shit in ntfs to share with windows

Everyone has a different setup. Which one is the right one? Obviously /home is good to be separate so you don't lose it if you reinstall, but which of the partitions are actually needed to separate from / directory?

I only have separate /boot and swap because I'm lazy and follow the default Ubuntu installer.

i'm going to make a fresh install soon for my desktop linux wich i hibernate a lot
and for when i'm at work i will also put an openvpn on it
it will be:
24g /
8g swap
32g /home
rest of the 2T hdd /data

256MB ESP
4GB swap
-1 root
What are you doing in /boot that requires 700MB? I thought my 256 was way overkill

>one partition

Attached: 435.jpg (480x491, 36K)

Boot, root and swap all separate on ssd.
Home resides on my hdd

>swap
>ssd
dude realy?

Yes, can't afford more ram right now so the ssd has to be a surrogate.

Symlinks, since first time I used a different home partition I had trouble with permissions when installed another distro, couldn't access to the data and was unmodifiable and had to spend time googling what was wrong, so fuck it. Symlinks are pretty straightforward, and if you're using an SSD + HDD setup you can symlinks all your bullshit (important data) while keeping the dotfiles, and the rest in the SSD for muh speed.

Separate /home. I still just tar everything up and wipe everything.

/boot gets 250MB
/ gets the rest
No swap

>Having unused pages memory when under memory pressure

Attached: everything.jpg (365x363, 18K)

lmaoing @ ur life

>No swap on server OS
>Any year
I bet you all use Linux as a desktop OS, don't you? Disgusting.

>they don't short stroke their storage hard drives to have a few high speed partitions for various uses

Attached: C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_084.png (600x512, 298K)

I use FDE so I have:
/boot 200MB
LVM:
/ 20GB
swap 4GB
/home rest of the disk

Is there any reason NOT to have a separate /home just in case, though?

idk about you but if I'm going to reinstall, I'd just as soon nuke /home along with everything else. I'm going to be restoring from backups and installing packages and copying config files anyway.

>short-stroking
what is this, 2003? Tuning like that always comes back to bite you in the ass anyway.

Can one of you fags help my dumbass? Currently creating partions as
Swap
/home
Is this fine?

I just do / and /home. Other drives are in /media.