FOSS is always better and more optimized than the non-free alternati-

>FOSS is always better and more optimized than the non-free alternati-

Attached: Virtualbox_logo.png (512x512, 170K)

nobody said "always"
sage

-ves.

VMware is much more optimized. I tried installing Windows 7 in VirtualBox on my Core2Duo laptop and it barely ran. But with VMware, it actually runs smoothly.

>Windows
found your problem

>werts qemu?

Attached: brainlet24.png (817x443, 34K)

you mean qemu with kvm?
qemu on its own is just an emulator

Yeah yeah, qemu is just the emulator, the whole system is qemu/kvm or as you've recently taken to calling it, qemu+kvm, I know.

>Core2Duo laptop
Try a machine with proper virtualization instructions

*kicks your shit in and fucks your mom*

Attached: QEMU_1.jpg (1280x800, 196K)

>SDL_App
the absolute state

>Windows 7
>Core2Duo
Heh

>FOSS
>CDDL
barely

>qemu on its own is just an emulator
but what about its performance without kvm?

Blame Oracle for holding back development.

>always

You mean never

works well enough but slow as hell

Yeah because virtual box is a class one hypervisor. It is all software emulation. VMware and hyper v are class two with direct hardware pass through. Big fucking difference.

maybe i'm misremembering the definitions, but I thought type 1 hypervisors are baremetal, and neither virtualbox nor vmware (workstation) are baremetal as they run on a host OS. IIRC vmware esxi is a proper type 1 hypervisor

VMWare Player is free (as in paydom) to download and use assuming you're not a business. I don't think it's any better than Virt-Manager with KVM.

No one says this. Also, type 2 hypervisors are garbage in general.
VMware Player is type 2 so it's garbage like virtualbox. VMware ESXi is type 1 and thus the preferred VMware solution. KVM is up to debate but I generally put it towards the type 1 side of things so that's a perfectly fine option

Depends which vmware you mean...

virtualbox is considered nonfree by Debian and the FSF

Shit, but useful for emulating other architectures

Attached: oh-god-retarded.jpg (233x233, 57K)

This is blatantly false, it's objectively proven QEMU-KVM is far faster and it's normie-proofed with the virt-manager GUI

>>FOSS is always better and more optimized than the non-free alternati-

Anyone who has unironically stated this has never used Photoshop and compared it to GIMP.

holy shit, might as well stay on virtualbox

so what

I have. Modern Photoshop is a clusterfuck. GIMP just works.

>my not free version is better goy

Attached: 1524170193725.jpg (274x320, 82K)

>reading comprehension

genuinely kek'd

something something Xen

At least it don't rape the system with a fuckton of virtual tentacles.

That's not how this works.
A type 1 hypervisor is one that runs directly on your hardware and basically acts like your OS. Things like VMware ESX, or Windows Hyper-v - yes, when you turn on hyper-v, hyper-v becomes your OS with your windows running as a special, privileged virtualized OS, but with extra features like direct access to all your hardware and the screen.

A type 2 hypervisor is what runs on a host OS. They can use the virtualization features of your CPU, too, though.

should of used KVM
it rapes everything else in terms of i/o

that screenshot gave me warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings