Strip away all the freedom and open source aspects and which is better for straight practicality? Emacs or Sublime?

Strip away all the freedom and open source aspects and which is better for straight practicality? Emacs or Sublime?

Attached: emacs.png (2000x1607, 262K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/emacs-evil/evil
jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

emacs

why

if you take on the effort of learning elisp and how to extend it, it's way more flexible. in that sense you can get a way more "practical" workflow than you could ever get with sublime. the learning curve is steeper, though

Is emacs worth using on Windows?

Emacs.

All ways emacs.

Emacs is more than a text editor. Is basically a life companion.

The problem is that it takes years of training to become proficient talking with emacs. But once you get there, you really can't let it go.

It's emacs, since it's pretty much an operating system and I use it for everything.

vscode :) emacs is a pain desu

vim

Emacs is shit. Sublime is shit.

Emacs; Sublime doesn't have org-mode.

My entire life is in org.

:(

but ima vim user. Editing text (even non code) is just painful w/o vim commands.

Sublime is kusoge.

Yes get the emacs for windows builds off sourceforge or whereverer the fuck they are. almost everything works out of the box. It's great. I primarily use emacs on windows and it works fine.

I recommend starting with a blank config file and going from there. Don't add shit until you need it.

I have a few themes, powerline, ido, magit (I don't actually use this yet), and js2-mode.

This. Emacs' single biggest advantage over any other text editor is its ease of extensibility. That's why you see so many high-quality packages (such as helm and magit).

>Editing text (even non code) is just painful w/o vim commands.
come to the evil side, my friend
github.com/emacs-evil/evil

e m a c s

Attached: photo_2018-05-12_01-43-08.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

Emacs competes with proprietary language specific IDEs on raw merit, pet alone other text editors.

I would use Sublime if it had good emacs keybindings and support of emacs themes and other packages -- emacs is slow and text rendering is ugly as fuck.
Often I feel the urge to start a drop-in replacement for that GNU shit. So far I managed to suppress it.
I wish there is a delusional, but highly talented programmer with no life out there who would do that for free...

Attached: f91.gif (480x270, 1.57M)

Emacs exposes so much of its internals to elisp that you'd wind up with Emacs again anyway.

That's really depressing user :( Maybe a compatibility layer is possible? Or rewrite offending e-lisp code if not.

Attached: How-To-Hang.jpg (582x1024, 141K)

Nope. You have to break compatibility to get significant improvement. (redisplay) alone will stymie any attempt at multithreading.

>More than half of the stuff it claims it can do it doesn't do natively it just opens an external program for

Better for what?

The FSF is also VERY hostile when third parties attempt to improve Emacs.

The last major try to get new features added resulted in the Emacs / X-Emacs split, and some massive flame wars.

Here's one perspective on the battle: jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks!

we live in a society >:o)

I think remacs will open possibilities for improvement. It's already functional and very active. In a couple of years we'll see.

That would be very nice.
>rust
But I'm not holding my breath.