What am I going to do when Windows 7 is no longer supported?

What am I going to do when Windows 7 is no longer supported?

Attached: win7.jpg (779x438, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1803.frag
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding_implementations_and_products
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What you should've already done; move on to something better.

Hopefully you'll use an OS that isn't as shit as Windows 7.

>supported

you kill me

Xubuntu

just use it like before

Moved to Win10 yesterday. I had no idea what to modify after installation, but I kind of found out. Thing is this OS is pure cancer. I don't believe I'll stay with it, but WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE? I mean, come on you guys, there is none at least not by now!

There are no other good options other than Windows. Lube up that butthole.

If I had technologically illiterate grandparents with simple software needs, I'd recommend Zorin OS Core since it's UI practically rips off of Win7. If they stay on that train I'd move them to another distro eventually, but let's get real. They'd end up buying a Mac and I'd have to disown them and dump them in a nursing home.

move to 8.1

Attached: Untitled.png (474x413, 13K)

Windows 10 LTSB with everything disabled from services.msc and the registry and also metered connections enabled

You are welcome

Well if you must use windows, this is the order:
Windows 7 POSready

>implying there is something better than win7

>Windows 8
>Linux
>OS X
>*BSD

Install Manjaro

Keep using it. It won't stop working, you know?

>Windows 8
just no

>Linux
is better for many things, but i need muh gaymes and VS15

>OS X
gay

>*BSD
meme tier OS

Build a high-end hackintosh. Also windows 7 will die even slower than windows XP so don't worry you've got easily another 7 years.

>just no
Just yes
>is better for many things, but i need muh gaymes and VS15
Use a VM or dual-boot
>gay
Ancient and irrelevant meme
>meme tier OS
Plural, and no.

Windows 8 has a 4GB VRAM limit in DX9. Windows 7 doesn't have this bug.

>muh gaymes
Fuck off, phoneposter

There is no justification for Windows 8 under any circumstances.

Linux is no substitute for windows under any circumstances

It's a valid point, and a bug in Windows 8, which 7 doesn't have, and which will never get fixed in 8. Also, games are not the only thing capable of using DX.

>There is no justification for Windows 8 under any circumstances.
Given it's better than Windows 7, there certainly is
>Linux is no substitute for windows under any circumstances
My sides

It's a valid point that applies to gaymen 99% of the time.

It's a bul which will never get fixed. A broken product.

I would say WES7 is more feature-rich than POSReady7, albeit it ends support one year earlier(still several months later than Windows 7)
8.1 Embedded Industry comes with 2 versions -- Pro and Enterprise. If you have a Pro key from Imagine, use it. Otherwise Enterprise has more features, and is in fact a superset of Windows 8.1 Enterprise. Only thing lacking is Media Center which no one uses.
Is there a read on this?

>It's a bul which will never get fixed.
My phone's Bluetooth version has bugs that'll never be fixed, why should I switch phones when I can simply continue not using Bluetooth?

>Get windows 10 pro
>Debotnet it
fdossena.com/?p=w10debotnet/index_1803.frag

Linux

>make custom win10 ISO with shit disabled (google “perfect windows 10”) and spybot-antibeacon + shutup10
>use win10 ltsb
>use GNU/Linux (all DEs are shit now tho, have to use a WM only)

Only viable options as far as I can tell.

Because it costs money. Using Windows 7 over that broken piece of garbage does not cost you anything.

It costs me the ability to use Windows 8, a better OS.

Move to linux.
By then, wine will run all the shit you don't find with open source.

The botnet is eternal, you can't escape it

Ask people who were the same way as you are with WinXP.

>Debotnet it

Attached: 1476256145435.jpg (250x250, 8K)

It costs you the ability to use Windows 8, a broken OS?

>supported
You mean like windows update? The last time I tried that it fucked up even built in programs that I still can't use anymore.

It's funny how these days the less MS "supports" something the less problems it has.

Please do explain why I should give a shit about the DX9 bug when I don't use DX9.

You can remove the egregious windows 10 botnet, and you'll be left with the hardware x86/IME botnet unless you're running a libreboot 2006 thinkpad. I'm baffled people think running ubuntu or macos is protecting them from the botnet.

Honestly, I believe things concerning the general usability of Microsoft operating systems have come to an end. There was never a greater need for an alternative and I feel most people are looking for the Linux community to finally deliver an acceptable solution. Sadly, there still is none. Please get me right, I'd love to finally say goodbye to everything Microsoft, but Linux still is not workable...and I really am longing for it to be.

>You can remove the egregious windows 10 botnet
I can do what any guide says to do and tell myself I've removed the botnet, but without the source available to see exactly what there is to be removed I'll never trust it.

Win 8.1 you dumbass. That is if you want to stick with Windows but don't want 10.

Whatever to keep my system goin

>windows for anything but games

Attached: 1519500547444.png (226x233, 80K)

>why should I give a shit about the passenger side mirror? I don't se it
Oh, yes, you do use it. Browsers use it, video players use it, VMs, etc, many other programs make use of it.

>the only Windows-only software is games

Games are understandable with the DX9 bug, they're released and that's that. But other software I expect to have been upgraded to use the latest DX version.

This is a lie you (we) tell ourselves, since nobody individually audits our OS, especially not those binary blobs that go into almost every ((open)) OS.

>everything disabled from services.msc and the registry and also metered connections enabled
Can you elaborate?

Why the software needs modifications for your broken OS?

I wouldn't know, I'm on osx

Um? Nothing, just use it as before?
I really don't understand why would you need support. I used XP until 2016, it was fine.

Both LTSB releases have this issue And on top of that have large memory pages issues. Wait for the 2019 release this fall, maybe it will be better. Until then Win7 is the only reasonable choice.

>This is a lie you (we) tell ourselves,
Don't include me in this, my OS of choice is known for being audited.

>Why the software needs modifications for your broken OS?
It doesn't need modification because Windows 8 has a DX9 bug, it needs modification because multiple newer DX versions have been released.

Congrats

Since the API is there, and it's working, and supported, no need to change. Definitely not worth changing for a broken OS with 2% market share.

Why would you need more than 4gb of VRAM in the fucking dx9?
Show me 2 (two) examples.

Any decent looking game on 1440p, with AA, at 100+ fps.

>100+ fps
>fps matters for VRAM
Opinion discarded. You are fucking retarded and don't know what you are talking about.

Last I checked software generally isn't released with an individual binary for each OS upgrade. If I want Fx for Windows 8 I don't download Fx for Windows 8, I download Fx for Windows.

KDE is a solution right now, come home.

Attached: KDE.png (2560x1440, 772K)

You think the buffer is flushed so fast?

Well in this case you'd need to address this issue only for Winsows 8. 7 doesn't have this problem, and 10 just got it fixed.

Why would you even need any updates, if it works fine?

>Well in this case you'd need to address this issue only for Winsows 8.
There's no issue to be addressed, as newer DX versions are supported both by the OS and the software.

The DE surely is important, but absolutely not the only thing that keeps people from adopting Linux.

>You think the buffer is flushed so fast?
Stop spewing buzzwords when you don't understand how shit works, you retarded namefag.
Some people actually have low-level graphics programming experience here.
It's just embarrassing to read.

Why not just keep using 7?
>no updates
XP still has updates if you change(actually add) a single regentry.

Linux
ReactOS
MacOS

There is no need to spend time working on something that isn't broken for 98% of your userbase.

>its 2018 and retards still dont know what "supported" means.
SAGE

You aclearly aren't one of them, though.

Windows 10

Why modify XP to receive POSReady 2009 updates when you can simply use POSReady 2009? It looks better anyway

>the only reason to update your software to use newer APIs is to fix bugs
You've reached a new level of idiocy.

How come. That userbase is also shrinking every day.

Do you guys pay for Windows?

I'm considering buying a legal copy of Windows 7 so I can continue to play games for decades to come without buying Windows 10.

What makes DX9 so special? If using newer APIs doesn't matter why not use DX8, or 7, or 1?

>buying a legal copy of Windows 7
Good luck with that. Retail is all out and the cheap ones on ebay and such are resold OEM licenses which is not legal.

>people replying to namefags phoneposters
>people are actually thinking about buying windows
>people recommending MacOS
The current state of Jow Forums

Attached: 1338334599560.jpg (786x680, 76K)

Because, if the program already uses it, and it works for pretty much all the users, minus the 2% with a broken OS, why would you spend time altering your program? Also compatibility with old hardware/software while working perfectly fine with modern hardware and software.

SOLUTIONS FOR Win7 EOL:
>hardware is currently supported
1. Wait for regentry changes to keep receiving updates.

>new hardware which isn't supported by Win7
1. Learn yourself some unix terminal and readup on KVM+Qemu and PCI-e passthrough
2. Install Ubuntu server, no X11/Wayland, install all packages needed for kvm
3. create Win7 VM, pass through GPU and most RAM (leave the host ~1GB)
4. Install win7 on new 'HAL'
5. Wait for regentry changes to keep receiving updates.

Running win7 in KVM is the most 'Microsoft' thing to do, Windows is just HAL atop HAL atop HAL, you're just adding another HAL. You even get a bunch of the underlying benefits too, you change change hardware now and only have to reconfigure the host - your VM will just keep going on the new host with no changes.
You can skip out on Windows poor softraid and use MD, if you leave more RAM for the host, you can even let the host to better disk caching than Windows

fuck off, whore

Because altering the program would make it work better on newer hardware.

No, it won't. It will fix the "problem" of those 2% users who use a broken piece of garbage.

Didn't realize DX1 had support for HEVC

>DirectX
>Video Codecs
get a load of this guy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding_implementations_and_products
>On August 21, 2013, Microsoft released a DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) specification for HEVC which supports the Main profile, the Main 10 profile, and the Main Still Picture profile.[60] DXVA 2.0 is required for HEVC decoding to be hardware accelerated and compatible decoders can use DXVA 2.0 for the following operations: bitstream parsing, deblocking, inverse quantization scaling, inverse transform processing, and motion compensation.

>Requires hardware to do it
>Still no actual video codec
If there was a codec, it wouldn't require hardware support.

>putting unnecessary load on your CPU
Why would you ever use software decoding when you have hardware decoding available? Oh that's right, you'd use it when your software doesn't support the latest APIs that allow your software to take advantage of your hardware.

That's not a codec though, so DirectX still doesn't have any video codecs.

Install gentoo

Attached: 1361279053612.png (193x247, 93K)

Fight your gaming habit
Install Linux (shut up Stallman)

You're the one who brought up codecs, I was just discussing HEVC support. Also, maybe you should look into the definition of codec. The CPU's hardware support for HEVC means the CPU is an HEVC codec.

>Running win7 in KVM is the most 'Microsoft' thing to do, Windows is just HAL atop HAL atop HAL, you're just adding another HAL.

Attached: Yo-Dawg-Heard-You.jpg (500x323, 18K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Gentoo, is in fact, GNU/Gentoo, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Gentoo. Gentoo is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Gentoo”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Gentoo, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Gentoo is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Gentoo is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Gentoo added, or GNU+Gentoo. All the so-called “Gentoo” distributions are really distributions of GNU+Gentoo.

upgrade to 10? it's not that bad once you disable Cortana and the data collection shit.

Fuck off old man

OS is just a shell that runs your browser. If you pay for it or hand data over in exchange your dumb

I do much more with my OS than browse the Internet, I still agree with your second sentence though

I actually paid for a Win 10 license, to dual-boot. Every time I boot into that shit, get the mandatory Windows Update dialog after a while that you're only allowed to put off for 2 hours max, watch all the hidden registry & group policy privacy settings get reverted / new ones inserted in, default telemetry on, of course...

I resent the fact I paid Microsoft genuine real money for a product that feels like it's aggressively hate-fucking me.