Is working as a dev really that much of a nightmare as it is depicted here?

Is working as a dev really that much of a nightmare as it is depicted here?
I am thking about switching to CS because of the same reason as everyone. I like programming and solving stuff, thinking logically. However I don't want to be a soulless workerdrone in some office, working under constant pressure to hit the next deadline and slowly sliding into depression...

I just want a comfy job that lets me work mostly alone, leaves enough room for free time. I dont care about money...

Attached: sasddads.jpg (300x195, 30K)

All depends on your mindset

explain

What makes you happy in life?

I stopped making nearly 70k coding and I studied up in network infrastructure to become a admin.

i mean, the last part will always be true. nobody, and i mean nobody, i have found is good at estimation unless they churn out some real garbage. that is the only way to meet deadlines, so you will always have intense deadline pressure.

and the vast majority of projects you will work on are insanely stupid and do not help mankind in anyway.

if you can find somewhere that is doing
A) interesting work
B) less deadline stress
i recommend working there for 10+ years because it's incredibly rare in all other circumstances.

nothing and everything, really. the small things. meeting people, hiking, being free to do what I enjoy. I was always envious of people that want nothing more than being for example a doctor so their 12 hour workday is actually kind of enjoying for them.

Deadline pressure is going to happen so long as managers treat dev work as something that can put out x results in y hours. The best to hope for is a lrad / manager who understands the complexity (ideally a former engineer) and can communicate technical complications to other leadership

Dont work for someone who gives deadlines but cant understand why it might be delayed.

It's a nightmare when you work with subhumans or your national culture doesn't mind slacking.

>slowly sliding into depression
Don't worry, it won't be slow.

Unless you want to be a businessman or an office worker most Computing jobs aren't going to be for you

why?

no its easily one of the best workreward professions in the world. I barely do anything yet I'm seen as a mid-tier developer making tonnes of cash for my age, working 4 days a week, in the office at 10am out by 4.45pm... spend so much of my time reading code and teaching myself cool new stuff. Shit is cash

Working as a dev on a regular office is hell, you have to work with people you don't really know where they stand, nor do you have any control of time. Sometimes you will be doing gods work, sometimes you will be stuck like a retard at simple stuff or complex stuff and have no way to fix it AND while the boss/team leader is waiting for you.
It's hell in other words.

I want to be you. How can I copy your life?
What is your education, where do you live, how old are you, where do you work and what do you do?

bsc. computer science, ireland, 25, big 4, dev

Business man, convince retarded customers to buy your shit and work around their expectations. Office worker, you are going to have some late nights in the office getting your pajeetware production ready. Oh yessssss.

people can have a comfy job and feel like shit
people can have a shitty job and feel comfy

everything is related to mindset, abilities and mental health

yeah but there are also some really shitty jobs out there

and you can become good, because some shitty jobs are well paid because no one wants to do it.

>lets me work mostly alone
unless you're freelancing by yourself, software development is very much a team sport. if you're a sperg around others, do everyone a favor and fuck off.

Some industries are a lot worse than others. The game industry is notoriously hard on its programmers: huge amounts of unpaid overtime, people being laid off like disposable tools, etc.

You might want to consider computer engineering over CS. That usually turns into a firmware job which I find to be more interesting and less stressful. Engineers are generally treated like more valuable employees who need breathing room to figure things out.

how's IT??

Stop telling people to go into engineering faggit. Or else it’s going to turn into a CS shitfest

IT shrinks every year (like it has been for over a decade) because everyone continues to migrate to proprietary clouds.

This is how I always felt. Amazon certs make twice as much as n+ or ccna

>Im think of switching to CS because of the same reason as everyone else
Then fucking don't, every single person I've met who switched to CS is incompetent or miserable. This isn't a job you can just sit down and do 40-60 hours a week and go home feeling fine, it's mentallly exhaustive and if you don't love what you're doing you're going to burn out fucking immediately, or churn out trash product.