Why doesn't Sony seem to be creative as it used to be in the technology department?

Why doesn't Sony seem to be creative as it used to be in the technology department?

Attached: sony.png (720x380, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theonion.com/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt-fuck-1819594774
reuters.com/article/us-samsung-elec-tv/how-samsung-fell-behind-sony-and-lg-in-the-premium-tv-market-idUSKBN1I24K2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Koreans basically undercut them so they've had to rejig/downsize to stay in business / stay relevant.

Samsung happened
People no longer associate them with quality

They stopped funding research and let their quality standards slip in favor of selling to the mass market on their brand name. Then when the Koreans showed up to eat their prole lunch, they had no market segment where they could be competitive to shift to.

Also their addiction to proprietary standards holds back wider adoption when they do do good things. That said, they are far and away #1 in optical sensors.

Refer to video
>>theonion.com/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt-fuck-1819594774

Their departments fight each other and it hurts the company as a whole. People want the cheapest possible electronics so that obviously hurt Sony.

TCL is doing the same thing to Samsung, that should be fun to watch.

desu they only do proprietary standards to try and still earn money because back when they could do proprietary they where on top.

also in japan they can get away with proprietary standards because they sell well there well in rest of the world they cant.

sony is still basically the apple of japan they literally sell cheaper models to the rest of the world and their best stuff to japan.

Because the Koreans undercut them with poorly designed cheap products.

Sony can design top tier products when they set their mind to it, I have yet to find another company with as consistently tasteful industrial design.

Attached: twingoooooo.jpg (2000x3000, 1.04M)

Do you even know what you're talking about? They're one of the only manufacturers that actually ships a 120hz TV today, and it's got great reviews. Their phones are skookum as fuck, their headphones and accessories are all top shelf, finally they sell one of the world's most popular game consoles. I think that's where they went wrong, is gaming.

Whatever they're doing, it's working for them

Attached: NYSE-SNE.png (647x501, 22K)

Not really, Samsung makes shit as cheap as possible, Sony are one of the few who believes in a premium product

reuters.com/article/us-samsung-elec-tv/how-samsung-fell-behind-sony-and-lg-in-the-premium-tv-market-idUSKBN1I24K2

I guess Kaz was a good choice after all

lol look at this booty blasted delusion

sony killed themselves by making overpriced premium shit and charging a luxury tax. they were apple before apple, expect they didn't have the marketing or integrated platform to actually keep people locked in

it would be like the jap automakers cancelling all their civics and camrys to only build luxury cars, then complaining when kia steals the mainstream economy market

>muh industrial design

congrats in a couple more years sony is gonna be completed relegated to a boutique brand, like pioneer

The market is a race to the bottom, normies will gobble up any old trash as long as its within their budget no matter how much of an abysmal product it actually is.

Its refreshing to see a company not taking part in that clusterfuck and holding themselves to some standards.

This comes across as a non-answer. The reason Sony is doing well is because they've jettisoned the divisions that don't make money. Those divisions are the ones that in the past gave Sony that air of creativity. If you're saying this chart suggests that they are still being seen as creative then you just haven't looked into how Sony works these days.

I do miss my Vaios. Overpriced but nicer to use than my Thinkpad.

Optical and video processing is the one field where Sony is actually at the top. And even then they have to buy the guts for their flagship TVs from LG. They’re trying to avoid the same mistakes and beat the Koreans to ILED, so we’ll see.

Samsung fell behind because of sticking with outdated LCD.

They're still pissed about not buying Apple when they could.

Historically for me its been worth it to spend a few extra dollars on a Sony consumer product. Some people are still using Sony shit they got ages ago because its quality and even little stuff like Sony alarm clocks in people's houses can last a while. Whether that is still the case remains to be seen.

No one seems to really care about product longevity anymore anyhow stuff just goes obsolete 4 mins later, so I guess who cares...

Samsung is shit.

They've recovered in the last few years

>They're one of the only manufacturers that actually ships a 120hz TV today
What the actual fuck are you talking about, you cretin? All high end TVs from all manufacturers use 120Hz panels. In fact, so do many mid-range ones. And not a single one of them can actually do 4K/120Hz because HDMI 2.1 won't be available until next year's models.

Although LG's OLEDs this year can do 4K/120Hz via the built-in apps. Pity there's no such content yet.

My 15 inch Vaio laptop just keeps on working without a problem.
It's been 5 to 6 years already.
It's relatively serviceable and has a really nice display.
The best display I have ever seen on a laptop.
Not glossy, not grainy, not overly saturated, but still very good colors. Perfect for reading and working. It's pleasant to look at.
And it wasn't even expensive when I bought it. Under 1000 bucks.

I really don't know what I'll do if this one really dies. Vaios don't exist in this form anymore.
New Thinkpads are overpriced trash.

becasuse this white piggu killed them

Attached: Lo03.jpg (500x372, 72K)

I'm using a 2009 Vaio right now. Its not flimsy like the newer laptops I use.

The Japanese "lifetime employment" system.

The average age of a Sony engineer is 57. They can't hire any new people because the existing engineers aren't retiring. And, why would they? The job market has been terrible not just for young people just starting out but for 45+ workers in Japan for more than 20 years now.