Hey Jow Forums I had a question and wasn't sure which board to use

Hey Jow Forums I had a question and wasn't sure which board to use.
I believe my core i7 8700k is going bad on my and I didn't buy product insurance when I got it. Would I be able to say, buy a new one off Amazon, request for a return and give them my old one?

Attached: 51cmJqb4I2L.jpg (500x500, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PGqZkOveLb8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Try it and tell me. Maybe they'll send 2

Don't break the law, Jamal.

Would that be illegal? How would they know I sent them a different one if it's the same model?

They'd just refuse to refund you, if they wouldn't be able to tell that it's a completely different chip entirely

just return the old one under warranty. unless you live in the third world you have consumer protection laws that guarantee it even if the manufacturer says you dont

>I believe my core i7 8700k is going bad

no it's not, you just don't understand what you're talking about

Explain.

cpus tend to die straight off the bat rather than have wierd issues. its probably something else.

Intel processors have a 3 year warranty.

From experience processors almost never go bad. If your CPU is playing up, it’s almost certainly down to something else in your system. Could be the power supply, could be dodgy voltage regulation on the motherboard.

Point is, replacing the CPU probably won’t fix this.

What makes you think the CPU is bad?

My rig wont go past the loggin screen. I keep getting error messages all relating to the kernel messing up. I know it's not my harddrive or OS

it'll almost certainly be memory

did you DELID ?

My ram? I've taken them all out and tried running my system with one just to test them out.

I'm not sure what that is

my old cpu was losing performance over time

thats expected, the cpu was getting tired after so many hours of gaming

it was time to give it a rest, I sent it to RMA and they gave me another one

Attached: Kony-2012-Concerns-1-537x392.jpg (537x392, 65K)

you'll have to test everything to find the culprit. start with different OS's, then hard drives, ram, motherboard. if you don't have the components to to swap out then pay a local hardware store $20 to test for you (although they should do it for free if you hint that you'll buy replacement parts from them)

swap it with Ryzen

I've completely wiped my harddrive and reinstalled windows, tried a known working hd on it and still the same error. I just didn't know what else to rule out. Mobo is pretty much brand new. Guess I'll have a tech look at it since i honestly don't know what I'm doing

Which windows are trying to install ? and don't tell me its 7

you sure it wasn't just getting throttled because the thermal paste needed replacing and it wasn't getting properly cooled? I just dont see what would "wear out" in a processor, there's no moving parts, the voltage/current is far too low to really do anything longterm to the wafer, and every cpu/motherboard have sensors that shut it down/throttle it way before it gets anywhere close to being melted by heat. Everything I can think of that would damage a cpu would cause it to just completely stop working, not slowly lose performance over time

Because the CPU has a batch number printed on the IHS, Daquan. You won't get one from the same batch, so that number will be different. The batch number is also on the box along with the serial number. You see how this isn't going to go well for you.

Attached: intel-core-i7-8700k.jpg (700x345, 146K)

Windows 10

how do you know your OS is fine. have you downloaded another image of it and put it on another USB stick and tried it. or do you just assume its fine.

its probably not.

if your CPU can boot to bios and run for 50seconds then its fine.

Not entirely sure about the thermal paste, i did put some on it when i installed it but I'm pretty certain it was getting cooled, pic is my cpu cooler

Attached: 20180513_155858.jpg (4032x3024, 3.68M)

they wont check that batch number you could effectively do it. but the main answer is that its not worth the time and wont fix your problem.

have you overclocked your CPU or messed with your Bios. maybe you have it running on wrong settings. set it back to default.

also try with a different gfx card

I had a windows 10 usb and completely cleaned my hd and reinstalled windows. Still didn't work. Tried plugging in said hd into my girlfriend's computer and it work just fine.

>they wont check that batch number
You're dumb if you believe this. But hey, you go right ahead and try it. I want you to. Be sure to update us.

what model is your frilfriends computer.

download Linux and put it on a USB and try installing that.

my guess is that there is a special driver or some thing for your motherboard that isn't being installed or installed badly and causing windows to fail.

when you say installing HD into GF computer you mean booting from that HD into windows on GF computer right?

if it boots fine on your GF computer into windows from the same install then 100% the problem is drivers probably related to your motherboard or the settings in your motherboards bios

what motherboard do you have how old is it? are you sure its 100% compatable with your cpu and its running on right settings for your CPU and have you updated the bios on your motherboard which might be required to fully support your CPU.

but yer regardless this isn't your CPU don't bother returning it keep trying stuff.. computers suck in these moments I know the feeling.

next time buy a mac lol

often rare odd problems like this happen but there is always a fix just keep trying

and paying some one to fix it isn't worth your time they probably will not be able to fix it and just try some stupid simple shit say its impossible and charge you 99$ just search forums about your motherboard compatablity with your CPU and bios updates for motherboard and settings etc..

your cpu died of led-induced AIDS

What I meant was I installed windows 10 on my pc with my hd, didn't work so i plugged it into my gfs comp to see if it would work and it did. My mobo is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA1151 DDR4 DPand it's supposed to accept any 8th gen cpus

Attached: 51vTaMQq4rL._AC_SY400_.jpg (498x346, 49K)

CPUs don’t degrade, they die.

Delid dis

your not being specific enough to fix this issue when you said the HD worked on your GF pc do you mean the harddrive was detected or that it booted into windows from that harddrive.

if it booted fine then its probably a bios config on your motherboard or bios number or some other incompatablity on your system. what exactly do you have plugged into your motherboard

just GPU 1stick of ram CPU ? and 1 HDD? what els?

also if you managed to install windows 10 on your PC fine then your CPU is fine if it was damaged it would literally not boot or corrupt the windows install while installing or some thing crazy. its working fine its a incompatablity or setting its not faulty hardware.

is your bios 0420 that's required for the 8700k probably is other wise it wouldn't boot.

Sorry about that. It booted into windows and is currently running right now on her pc. My pc had 4 ram sticks altogether, a ssd (which I unplugged) and some case fans. I haven't added anything to new my computer in at least 3 months or downloaded any new software besides corsairs rgb app. These bluescreens just popped up out of no where and thought that since it wasn't related to my os or hd it had to be a hardware issue.

Attached: 20180513_161221.jpg (4032x3024, 2.51M)

wait... so you where running the 8700k fine for a while.

so thous bluescreens started showing up and then after that you reinstalled windows? and started getting kernel errors on the new install?

I was getting kernel errors before and after the intall. The installation did nothing. Nor did swapping hds

double check your bios version any way. its possible your 8700k was running fine on a older bios and then a new windows update added some feature that made it start to crash and required the 0420 bios.

also what image of windows are you using for your friend install is it auto updated to the latest version? what version where you running before when it was running fine etc.

also that motherboard has onboard gfx doesn't it.. use that instead of the GPU just to rule that out.

RAM test time.

also what SATA port are you plugging your HDD into your pc on. change that.

where you overclocking your 8700k? ive had systems degrade over time on high clocks but I think its mostly the motherboard dieing or the ram or the PSU getting older and not the cpu. that works or it doesn't.

Could be this, too. Windows no likey if it can't access the system drive.

Not sure which version of windows 10 I was using, I think I had it on auto update.

check what version of windows is on your HDD that works on your girlfriends computer if its 1800 some thing then its been updated fairly recently. not sure how windows install on win10 works now it might auto update it before booting into it properly these days if you have lan plugged in. not sure on that thou.

the fact it can do a full install with out drama and it works on your gf computer is a good sign thou.. not sure about ram failures thou not sure how they work. never had ram go bad on me.

its annoying to check all these things but its worth it. a system tech you pay will literally just reset your bios to default boot it with afue diferent gfx cards and ram and then say its unfixable doing it yourself is better.

if you take it in to tech support they will probably just make you buy a new motherboard imo. when it might just be a small setting or driver incompatablity

have you tried diferent sticks of ram on their own? unlikely that both sticks got damaged over time.

My hd had windows 10 version 1060 something

I have and to no effect. I could try using my gfs ram instead but theres no way all 4 sticks of ram could go bad at the same tine right?

how long ago did your house burn down?

maybe try a single stick of it for the hell of it.

maybe try a diferent slot

but yer just to make sure its not that.

did you try onboard gfx could be your gpu.

and yer remember to try a diferent SATA port on your motherboard.

once you done all that update your BIOS and look at what settings it has.

Are you trying to meme or something?

Yeah I tried going to the gfx, didn't do anything. Ive tested all of my ram, in different slots too, guess I'll steal some of my gfs and see if it changes anything

Sure, I do this shit at Walmart all the time. I didn't know it was illegal until recently. I mean everyone does it. It's nickels and dimes since the shit costs so much less to make anyway. Now online I don't know about as they have more time to tell if your jewing them or not.

How can I update my bios though if i can't get past the loggin screen?

couldn't you just delid it and swap the IHS? lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=PGqZkOveLb8

you update bios via usb stick download the bios from website follow instructions you can do it from bios but check what version it is before you do it if its under 0420 then that's probably 100% the problem. you acess bios by pressing del when you boot up.

kek that's what you get for buying shintel

theres 2 ways to update bios one via a program in windows another thru the bios itself is what I'm saying.

I think you might be right about the bios, i have version 0408, and version 0616 is available off of the asus website.

When you’re reinstalling Windows, are you installing all the latest drivers from the Asus site as well?

he can delide and switch the IHS with the deffectiv one

The odds are extremely unlikely that your cpu is going bad.

Updated bios, still the sane problem :(

+1 for doubting your cpu is bad. Been building for 20 years and in my instances fail order is power supply>RAM>motherboard. Or you could just be retarded, many such cases. I have never had a CPU go bad ever, but def every other form of hardware has gone bad.

check your bios settings. are you running on default bios settings?

if you did overclock it just save the settings your on as a profile then set it to default and check.

did you put HDD on new SATA port on motherboard

>didn't buy product insurance when I got it
It's covered by manufacturer warranty.

the cpu isn't faulty it can install windows windows is just crashing. windows ran fine with the CPU for months then started getting blue screens and reformatting didn't work?

what do you think it is?

what els do you have plugged into your computer via USB and stuff any thing you added recently. any of the items damaged possibly your mouse cord or some thing could have got damaged and is shorting some thing out or sending bad data.

try doing process of elimination on that stuff

Yeah man I tried plugging my hd in all the other
Sata cables, my cpu was overclocked so I set it to default in my bios, I unplugged all of my usbs including my mouse and key board. But i keep getting these blue screens of death, the ones i get the most are

>System thread exception not handled
>IRQL not less or equal
>Page fault in non page area

There's some other ones but those are the most common

by reseting bios to default did you set bios to default settings or just lower the overclock? set it to default settings.

also try this

you have a Windows 10 installation DVD or USB memory stick lying around, or if you can create one right now, you can use it to boot your broken PC with Windows 10 into Safe Mode. To create a Windows 10 installation drive, follow the steps from this tutorial: How to download Windows 10 Creators Update and create your own installation media. Then use it to boot your broken Windows 10 PC from it and wait for the installation environment to load. Choose the language and keyboard layout you prefer and click or tap on Next.

Windows 10, Safe Mode, boot, recovery, repair

Next, click or tap on the link that says “Repair your computer” on the bottom left corner of the screen.

Click or tap on Troubleshoot.

On the “Advanced options” screen, click/tap on “Command Prompt (Use the Command Prompt for advanced troubleshooting).”

Now Command prompt will load. Inside it, write the command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal. Then press Enter on your keyboard.

After a moment, Command Prompt tells you that “The operation [was] completed successfully.”

Then close the Command Prompt and choose to Continue on the next screen.

After your PC reboots, Windows 10 will automatically boot into Safe Mode.

once in safemode see if it keeps crashing if it doesn't then its drivers or some thing. and you will probably have to download the latest drivers off your motherboard support page and install them while in safemode.

its also possible that some thing died on your motherboard like your soundchip or some controller chip or some thing that only loads once it gets into windows and once it loads the driver for that it doesn't work and crashes.

but yer get into safemode and try installing the latest drivers for motherboard and every thing. and then exit safemode and see if it helps.

if it still doesn't help probably contact your motherboard support and tell them the problem your having possibly happened to other people.

will be the only item you need replaced.

also how does it crash does it get to login screen and stay there for a while and crash? or crash right away?

also what about the crashes before you decided to reformat did they happen randomly or did it one day just stop booting into windows and was same crash as now?

also did you try running on intergrated gfx and unplugging your GPU?

also did you try your girlfriends ram?

It wont accept the command prompt, pic related. Also it's been crashing before the loggin screen even loads pretty much the entire day, it sorta worked yesterday and then would crash but not it wont go to login at all

Attached: 20180513_195402.jpg (4032x3024, 3.3M)

Yep, tried that as well. My gpu is also out of my case and everything

I thought the new coffee lake k skus didn't have integrated graphics or something. is it something else that intel removed integrated graphics from for no reason?

Silly winfag, the problem is winbl0wz.