BEST MAJOR IN COLLEGE TO BECOME A PROGRAMMER, CS KIND OF SUCKS

BEST MAJOR IN COLLEGE TO BECOME A PROGRAMMER, CS KIND OF SUCKS

GO

Attached: 3x.gif (112x112, 66K)

I did mathematics and had no issues getting two internships with software companies before I graduated. That said, it's harder to network from the math dept so YMMV depending on how much recruitment goes on at your college.

CS
Maybe this field isn't for you

b-but user everyone is discouraging me that CS is just applied mathematics and it won't teach me actual programming skills

should i be just teaching myself all of the programming and use the theory to support it?

Attached: feelssadman.jpg (657x527, 36K)

But computer science IS the programming degree. If you can't handle computer science, then programming is not for you.

My University has a IT tract that somewhat focuses in software engineering. It’s great if you want to do web development, mobile or OO programming full time. Not very much math at all but a lot of programming.

nah buddy, if you know how to program and it's provable they probably don't care. CS is literally babby's how to program 101, if it didn't have the math component you could teach it in 8 weeks to retards (see: every 'code boot camp' ever) going to school specifically to code is silly.

Just learn what you like, take classes that are fun! You can learn how to program once you've graduated.

>every response is telling me something different

Attached: hanged.jpg (238x250, 8K)

t. 22yo boomer who thinks he can learn programming after college

Attached: 1525910439299.png (233x216, 7K)

Double major with a BA in CS and a BA in another STEM field or writing-heavy humanities major.
Or BS in CS.

Some of the advanced CS classes are pretty useless (theoretical computer science is the worst class I've ever taken), but the core courses (data structures, algorithms) are invaluable.

CS, discreet math, data science

would BA in CS and Finance be a good idea user?

>should i be just teaching myself all of the programming and use the theory to support it?
Yes. That is unironically exactly what you should be doing.

This is a strange meme.

I got my degree in economics but I don't like it. No way I'm going to college again though, fuck that.
There's a programming logic course course (1 semester) here, would it be a good option to take it and after that do a boot camp?

Yeah, that's a good combination if you want to work in fintech. I have a friend who's doing it and he's pretty happy with it.

just do CS and aim to get a 4.0
better than doing say, ECE or a double major and graduating with a sub-A GPA, unless you're talking about a top tier school in which case GPA won't matter as much.

most likely going to Clemson so ill be going for that 4

regardless of all the mixed responses I feel more confident into going to CS, and considering in getting a BS in another field as well

thanks Jow Forumsuys

Attached: 1508286874779.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

good luck.

Computer engineering.

Word of advice, if you want a 4.0 the easiest way to do it is to only take 1 or 2 hard classes a semester.
Did that for my first two years at a hard school and kept a 3.9. Then got cocky and took all 300-level classes one semester and got fucking rekt. Rip my gpa.
Don't assume a state school will be easy. Sometimes they make classes like discrete brutal to weed people out.

>theory
>programming

Lol. Only way to get good at programming is to program. CS is just applied Math for retards. You're not going to learn how to program as a CS student. I really don't know how that meme got started, but CS students aren't programmers.

Currently at Clemson as a Computer Engineering major. I feel like it is much better than a CS degree.

If you don't learn theory your code will be just a huge amount of ifs and fors, which is pajeet-tier and is laughable in the real world.
Have you ever heard of design patterns?

Computer Information Systems

Women studies

yeah i mean what's it supposed to represent exactly

Stick with CS. Maybe do software engineering, but honestly if you actually want to program, CS is the way to go.
Where do you think you are?

Don't do math. Someone here told me to do math 6 years ago and I ended up dropping out once I got to higher "math for the purpose of math" classes, doing proofs.

Math =/= programming. Math is Math. The most mathematically elegant solution to a programming problem does not produce the fastest or most maintainable code. Without specialization, higher math is worthless. Anything that you need very complex math to do in programing, someone has written a library for it.

I would have gone for Electrical Engineering if I could do it again, because I like repairing vintage computers & soldering, but I can't design circuits or troubleshoot them very effectively.

does it matter which college/university I go to?

unironically, if they have a good sports team, the recruiter is more likely to have heard of the school. other than that, if you're not going to some ivy league school, a bs is a bs.

also
you can do the first couple years at a community college and transfer to a more "well known" school to save money. the name of the school you graduate from is the one on the degree.

Are you telling me that I should go to Alamaba for Compsci?

Feminist dance theory

god, myaano is so cute
also CS, you get taught the basics of programming languages and mostly just how to use them for the specific class, the rest is up to you

it would be fine. you can look at graduation rates if you're really looking for a good metric.

>Believing this
You are everything wrong with education. Yes, you should learn theory, but it should relate to the subject matter. Programming "theory" should be about best application, not history of fucking communication with a side of Bell Labs. The theory people need is info on stuff like mutexes and other optimization that actually improves code.

Sort of. Some colleges have better job fairs / networking than others. Aside from that, no. Always go for the cheapest viable option.

People who say don't learn theory just learn to program are the same people who ask what language they should learn and complain that intro to CS is done in Python or Java or whatever.

If your goal is to learn syntax and libraries then you've missed the point.

Beyond the top 4 (CMU/MIT/Berkeley/Stanford), there is little distinction and your GPA and projects matter more.

Just don't get stuck in a community college like me.

Attached: 1522856844597.png (600x583, 340K)

Depends on the programming you want to do, CS prepares you for shit like google and facebook where you process large amounts of data on large systems, CE prepares you for stuff where some limited knowhow of how shit works on lower level is good.

computer engineering. that's what I'm doing. do it if you want to learn a lot of low level programming like drivers and compilers and shit