Does it matter what school you went to Jow Forums?

Does it matter what school you went to Jow Forums?

Attached: top.jpg (1200x900, 199K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2015/07/06/what-employers-are-looking-for-when-hiring-recent-college-grads/#4a14aa8b1af3
finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-much-grads-companies-facebook-205254557.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sort of. I can’t speak about academia, but in industry, going to a top school can open doors, but going to a mediocre school shouldn’t be a hindrance to being successful if you know what you’re doing and can show it.

nope, unless its a high level school (which you arent going to) name doesnt mean shit.

Get involved in a fraternity or some clubs, because thats what they really want. Any cocksucker can swallow the textbook and regurgitate that shit on command, they want experience, leadership, and the ability to work in a team.

experience talks, shit like classes and gpa doesnt.

forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2015/07/06/what-employers-are-looking-for-when-hiring-recent-college-grads/#4a14aa8b1af3

Yes and no.

Yes because top schools will be the first place big names in industry go to look for employees. For example, around the time I got my undergrad (EE) my school only had 2 job fairs. One in the fall and the other in the spring...that was for the entire school. More prestigious schools had job fairs just for the college of engineering. And I remember some schools like CalBerkeley had job fairs just for their EE department. Going to a top school also usually means a better selection of electives when you reach your junior and senior year.

On the other hand, as an undergrad, it really doesn't matter that much. People who attend an run of the mill state engineering program are taking the same core classes as those at so called top schools. Undergrad in engineering is about learning basic concepts and fundamentals and you will get that at any ABET accredited school. And while the big companies will hit up the majors schools first you can still get interviews with them assuming you know your stuff.

TL;DR Top schools have an advantage but that advantage isn't that important at the undergrad level.

>SAT score
who gives a fuck

>leadership
nice meme

to backwater shit-for-brains companies, no

to leading edge organizations, absolutely

Yes.
We had 2 CS schools in my hometown, if you went to the wrong one, local companies would just laugh at you and teell yout to fuck off (because they knew how shitty it was compared to the other one) while in the second one they already had a work agreement for you after you graduated or at last they would give you some work experience.
On a larger scale, it doesnt matter.
unless you are talking about top tier schools

>We had 2 CS schools in my hometown, if you went to the wrong one, local companies would just laugh at you and teell yout to fuck off
Dang, how big was this town?

Except only shit companies hire based on where you got your knowledge rather than how effectively you can apply said knowledge

Yes and no.

Yes if you want to be a leader in your field and expect to make major impact.

No if you just want a job that pays you enough to live your miserable life in peace.

Waterloo?

Sociability is the only thing that matters in life. People who are charismatic and easy to work with go further. There's people at my job who went to "where the fuck is that" university and make bank here. Second most important thing is previous accomplishments, so projects you've worked on or products you made.

That's how I got my current job, I had a small business making websites and setting up POS for restaurants so customers could order online. It was very small, I was the only employee and made ~$60-65k. I ended up applying to a large tech company and they hired me $145k. My only degree is in history.

Somewhat, where I studied the average sat equivalent result was 99.5 or higher out of 100 but I was one of the bad students who was on the 80-90s average... Got me personally nowhere but some people got great jobs due to meeting people high up in the government or the tech industry here.

I make more than that right out of college, and I'm an asocial autist. Keep on justifying your poor decisions.

My school is just the state school and we have events all year around. CIA niggers are always in are computer science department looking for people to recruit.

>study something you like, run a small business, make good money at big company
I feel like that guy made a string of really good decisions though? I find his story more interesting than yours anyway.

turned down offers from CMU and GT

>go to a decent college, study CS, earn 200k a year right after graduation
He made bad decisions. If his goal was to make money at a big comoany he should have just went to a decent college.

Pennsylvania mentioned

enjoy being a monkey forever.

Totally this, The average joe can learn everything there is to learn about cs and programming, and be just as productive as most except ultra high level autists.

It doesn't matter if you're a 10xer if nobody wants to work with you.

offers like that are unheard of even at a tier 0 school like CMU.
absolute max out of undergrad is 150k. you're probably LARPing or is jewish & had connections to wall street institutions.

for which school?

How do I into being sociable and charismatic

if they are universities, why do amerifats call them college?

here's a more interesting chart.

Attached: 20_colleges_with_the_most_alumni_at_Google.png (895x922, 184K)

Pennsylvania mentioned twice

Sort of.
A university can get students in touch with professors.
The better the university, the better the professors.
The better the professors, the better the students.
So lets take this to the logical conclusion for the worst possible university:
You are the only "good" student, everyone, including the professors slack off.
They are bad at teaching, the school mates won't work on the homework etc.
What do you do?
You study harder yourself.
Everything you learn is something you teach yourself.
If the professors are any good, you simultaneously learn from them.
If the students are any good, you simultaneously learn from them.
All in all, the networking with the other people is what drives the value of a university.

So there is a huge difference between the high end of the spectrum and the low end of the spectrum.
But if you are asking if you will be a better engineer if you go to MIT vs harvard, I can't tell you.
Generally, yes, but there is too much variance between each person to tell for sure.
Hard work is what makes a good engineer.

Only if you want to do research at said university. Once you get a job what school you went to becomes irrelevant

Bad bait. Absolutely nobody is making that right out of college unless your dad is the CEO

>choosing Google over the military industrial complex
Dun goofed.

Companies want people who can herd the jaeets and diversity hires around into being semi-useful. Leadership also means they dont have to fucking micromanage you.

This but don't go work for anyone else. Stay self-employed and you will make more in the long run.

>graduate of the FizzBuzz Academy
ok, fellow negro

Attached: 1525956629408s.jpg (125x111, 2K)

>SAT
The fuck is that

Ok buddy.

Attached: 1525228732590.png (1704x583, 78K)

>the same w2 that's posted in every LARP thread

>being this upset someone went to a better university and makes more money than you

>Does it help?
Yes, especially during the first few years after graduation.
>Is it absolutely necessary to become a famous expert in the field and get a high-paying job?
No.

But it's true. I too saw that one in other previous threads.

I'm the same person you fucking retard.

Jeff Dean didn't go to top tier school.

it only matters if you want to get into mckinsey, wallstreet or a top tier law firm

He earned his PhD at UW.

>file name
Also 200k out of college is still a one-in-ten thousand even at schools listed in OP. If it's true you just had exceptional opportunities.

Nope. Everyone who goes to Google or Facebook gets that much. And before you start memeing about muh California CoL you can get almost the same amount in places like Pittsburgh or Seattle.

As many others have said, yes if it is a top 20 or so school. Or the best school in your country or region (i.e. Europe, East Asia).

Otherwise, no and in which case grades and internships are more important. The latter being more significant.

200k starting? I know quarter million mid career salaries aren't uncommon at the big 4 but CMU's stats say CS undergrads are offered 130k maximum fresh upon graduation.

>Cornell

Attached: 1525717175616.jpg (610x561, 101K)

>dual major math and cs
>500k starting

old meme

When did I say anything about salary?
These are numbers from 2016. They probably increased even more.
finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-much-grads-companies-facebook-205254557.html

A lot of schools get their figures for starting salaries for grads by sending out surveys and a result the data is self reported. So it's not too reliable. Although it's quite believable that a graduate from a top CS school would earn more than his counterparts from less prestigious schools.

>100k signing bonus
so yeah not 200k/year at all but I applaud your art of technically not being wrong (tm)

It is 200k a year. You continue to get bonuses and stock refreshes year after year. Keep being salty.

Yes, but not for the reason you think.
The real value of a good school is it provides you with more opportunities while you're a student.
At my university I was easily able to get a position writing software for a lab (literally walked in and talked to the professor). Later I got my first internship building websites and mobile apps for the college equally easily. That position got me lots of valuable connections with professors and local software companies.

Pretty sure none of that would have happened if I went to the state school I was thinking of going to, where compsci majors are a dime a dozen and fight over scraps.

>keep being salty
Nah, just a bit skeptic is all. Just finished up 2nd year of eecs at a top 10.

I went to a mid-tier small STEM school for CS and got internships every year and a $70k-starting job upon graduation.
Doesn’t make me elite or rich by any means, but yes, you can get a comfortable life without going to a name-brand school.

I have 3 companies in SC and I regularly employ engineers and coders with no degree as long as they can provide something to show that they know what they are doing. So, nope.

Attached: 6a00d83451b84369e201901d572ca2970b.jpg (700x480, 70K)

When did you do your internships? Was this during your summer breaks? How long were they and were they paid? If you did do it during the semester were you doing a full load at school or only a couple of classes?

All summer internships about 3-4 months long, all paid around $20/hour (except for my first summer internship which was merely $12, but that is understandable since I was a freshman with very little coursework in my major yet). Through-the-year internships look even better on a resume but I didn’t need the money (scholarships) and wanted to focus on my studies.

No one good wants to work for your company. It probably doesn't even pay 80k.

>charismatic
>cs
No