So when will hotswappable pcie become standard?

So when will hotswappable pcie become standard?
youtu.be/YigN2mkQMPc

Attached: Screenshot_20180514-185850.png (2560x1440, 2.32M)

Why would anyone need this?
Feels like a recipe for disaster with all the autistic people here

this

/thread

>linux dick tips
Fuck off.

It's a pretty cool idea, but at least as far as the consumer is concerned it's a solution to a problem no one has ever had. I enjoy the video when it was uploaded, but in what scenario ever am I ever going to want to do this? When I want to hot swap PCI-E SSDs? I don't even hot swap SATA SSDs/HDDs right now.

everyone in this thread suggesting this is somehow bad is fucking retarded. there are no disadvantages to this, and several advantages. why the fuck are you people possibly criticizing this? get the fuck out

It's not that there are disadvantages, it's that time and effort (so money) has to be put into this for practically no real advantages.

EPIC WACKY "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING AND DESTROY THINGS FOR VIEWS" YOUTUBE MAN

Attached: 1430470527187.jpg (261x172, 10K)

theres plenty of advantages. i can maintain my 1 year uptime even after installing a fucking usb card or some shit.

There's nothing good about your up time though. It's just a weird dick measuring thing. You're not a server.

We don't need this.
Except the u.2 connectors would make for extremely fast external storage. Like, think external 960 pros running at full speed.

>I don't even hot swap SATA SSDs/HDDs right now.
But you can with eSATA (lol).

I mean as in this isn't a feature I've ever know someone on the consumer side to need to take advantage of.

PCI express is shit, but intel don’t want give advance to nvidia having fast and powerful expansion port.

If the tech gets adapted to laptops though...

Yes.
eSATA was supposed to give competition with USB for high speed external drives, but it failed because USB caught up to the drive's speeds, rather than the link's speeds. When the bottleneck is the drive itself then it doesn't matter how much faster the link is and it was also more expensive to implement.
This is probably the same.

Anyway, plug n play PCIe is probably already in use in devices you don't really think about, like high end, high speed, high resolution cameras that use hard drives in cartridges they can just pop out. Maybe they use a SATA interface, maybe they use a PCIe interface, either way it could be in that application already.
Of course, it's used in server environments.

Perhaps we would see the return of the PCcard.

it'll be extra worthless like all mobile hardware

Or we see an appearance of Gaming/Workstation docks of some sort and people have to deal less with bulky shit with excessive points of failure.

Garret Claridge were already doing that on 2007.

Attached: 1506969419047.jpg (300x300, 42K)

R.i.P Firewire 400

never needed so it will never happen. only exists for weird server reasons.

Unnecessary.
We should focus on improving performance for the CPU, GPU, RAM, and VRAM instead.

Storage is already too fast for the rest of the PC.

>high end, high speed, high resolution cameras that use hard drives in cartridges
Pretty sure the really good ones use fuckhuge massive amounts of DRAM because nothing else is fast enough to record tens to hundreds of thousands of frames per second

23 minute video for that shit.
no.

never.
pci cards are not designed for this, the power and grounds are not extended on 99% of all cards.
Implementing pci hotswap like that would cause retards to fry their shit left and right.

You really need these tips.

Attached: linus sex tips.webm (640x360, 2.82M)

It has been for a long time you retard. There has been hotswappable memory and CPUs too.

I've been using hot swappable PCI for decades.