I fell for the humanities meme and want to get into programming now

All I know is a little Python. I'm graduating with an English degree next May, and have plenty of free time, so what should I learn? Since I'll have no computer science-related degree, would Jow Forums recommend getting a certificate or something? Help me pls.

Attached: Pepe34.jpg (950x534, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

learn Math.

Fuck off we're full

What is there even to fall for in humanities?

>English degree
Atleast his comments will be nice

>little Python

You should stop now and learn a real language, C, C++, Java, anything that makes you actually work. Python will teach you bad habits if you learn it first, feel free to come back to it later, but only after you know a proper language.

Get a job with TFA in some inner city ghetto public school.

i learnd how to rite realy well

I tried learning Python first because I heard it was a good beginner's language. Thanks though, I think I'll look into learning Java now.

Python is a decent beginner's language. If you're already learning it don't waste time starting over with something else.
Read Python books and do Project Euler and HackerRank until you feel comfortable with the language. Then try building something you can put on your resume, like a web backend with Django.

Learn C and Linux, it'll give you an advantage above other students. Especially if you bite through to learn about pointers and memory in C. But it's hard to learn on your own, I recomend you try cs50.
It's free to enroll and you can follow it on your own pace.

bad

Step One OP: see a counsellor
Step Two: Make your humanities shit go towards your GE's
Step Three: Apply to your internal CS school, most kids here are retards like you, you'll be fine

Ignore any C/C++/Lisp/Java suggestions on this thread. It's not bad advice in general, but it's bad advice in your case. I don't think you have the time, patience, (and maybe, no disrespect) the aptitude to pick one of those languages and learn CS fundamentals for a few months and still have no chance at getting a gig coz you're a rookie at those.
Just pick something easy to learn and deploy, Python is good and you can complement it with JavaScript if you want to be a full stack web developer. Or just focus on python, and decide what you want to do with it later. Pick up a book like Python Crash course (Nostarch) or buy a decent course on udemy for $10.
Focus on doing a lot of small projects that you can show to your potential employers.
Once you get a job, get comfy with the language, then do some CS fundamentals courses from MIT/Stanford or whatever.

C is pretty easy to learn, especially if you have good instructions. I really think OP should just try this link:
it teaches C, Python, SQL and HTML CSS, it's an introduction course so OP should have no problem with it.

dont bother, if you did well in humanities you will be lost in programming

that's nonsense
maybe you're trying to cope because you can't read books.

>free
>requires sign up process with laid email, physical address, phone, full name, etc.
Why?

because you can also get official certification from the site if you pay, you can just fill those fields with garbage it doesn't matter..

Programming is a form of expository writing. There’s also a ton of writing other than programs in software development (design documents, etc.) If you can think clearly and write well, you are actually better positioned for success than a lot of people with CS, math, etc., training who can’t organize their thoughts or communicate effectively. Having said that, Java and C# are probably going to be the easiest languages to pick up for someone with a humanities background. They’re also currently the most popular in the job market.

Not OP but still a humanities newfag when it comes to programing (learning Python right now).
What about C# and Java makes them the easiest languages?

>C is pretty easy to learn
C takes some serious hacking around with void pointers and arcane shit to get work done. It's enough of a nice language already to recommend it to OP who is not taking a proper CS course.

Edx is pretty damn good though. Just give them your data it's worth it

>nice language
I meant niche language. And inb4 some autist gets triggered, I am not implying it's a bad language. But it's not something that OP will find any use for.

and now you fall for the programming meme

>get into programming
What for? As a hobby? Professionally? What are you goals?

Consider getting into linguistics or interdisciplinary fields such as cognitive science, where scientific programming is a thing and where your experience is actually useful. Because if you want to compete with people on the job market that are younger AND more experienced, then you'll be having a VERY rough time.

I did something similar, coming from cultural studies and now I work on computer simulations, so programming makes up approx. 70% of my work time. Of course I'd also have a very rough time outside of academia.

Point being: if you're tired of starting over, stop giving up. Find a way to build on your English degree, instead of throwing it all away.

Lots of applications, enterprise jobs, libraries galore, free support everywhere, etc.

Thanks user!

I've never heard of a cross between something like English or history and programming. Tech law might be an exception. JD + CS tends to be the default there from what I've heard.

I'd say you're pretty much fucked, but it depends how much you are willing to learn and work hard

Why has no one mentioned just learning java script and getting something entry level, like a front end developer. Then you can work up to full stack or something eventually. Just need to learn JavaScript, HTML and css first.
Web developers are still in high demand, and you could find something with an unrelated degree just build a few websites/products

>comments
He'll be the dedicated documentation writer.

Probably want to learn graphic design first. Front end hires a lot of people based on pretty pages.

I’m not bad at that either
Heheheh

Java and C# are, generally, verbose rather than symbolic languages. They’re intended to be readable and safe for newbie developers to work in. As another commenter noted, they have huge ecosystems of books, training, etc.

> buy a couple of coding/software-engineering books (Clean code, introduction to Git, etc)
> look online for any kind of classes that'll give you a piece of paper that's valuable professionally.
> Try to make things. Start with some small challenges (higher-lower game, snake, etc) then try solving bigger problems (music player, text editor). BUT, a complete project is better than 10 half broken pieces of garbage, because the complete project can go on a resume.

Looking back, I think reading good books would've helped me the most. It's problably the thing I regret the most.

Finally, allocate some time just for coding/learning. Even if it's just 20-30 min.

it's not any better here go back

Chicks, but they are mostly stupid there.
Medical is better for this, but learning 10 years? is not worth it.

can you write something nice?

>fell for the humanities meme

Attached: 0d1.jpg_large.jpg (640x559, 22K)

>tfw fell for STEM meme

The language doesn't matter that much. Don't fall for the C/C++/Java/muh_real_programming meme. Facebook successfully mined data from billions using PHP; when they were limited by it, they moved on to other languages. Python is a good choice, when you become limited by it you'll know it. JS is everywhere. JS is shit. It doesn't matter, chances are you'll find the answers easily by googling. Focus more on problem solving or making small projects, you'll figure out the rest by fucking around.
Try Arduino or JohnnyFive and make a machine or something.
Avoid burn out. Have fun

I recommend you steer clear of the servile arts, OP. A lifetime of labor int for others turns people resentful, and embittered. I've seen it again and again. You're a free person, not a "worker".

Java is a nice place to start and was where I started, the BlueJ IDE is a pretty nice place to begin along with the associated objects first book that there's a PDF for around somewhere, it hides some of Java's more retarded stuff from you in the beginning to teach you key concepts of OOP then later introduces the shit that is literally "its that way because its that way just accept it" which other languages don't hide, its a nice middle ground between C where you have to do everything and python where you don't have to think at all about types or classes if you don't want to.

Honestly the choice is up to you, but Java is often what's taught in universities as a starting language, once you know it you can easily pick up python, and with a little extra effort C, C++ which make you do more again.

Since you were stupid enough to study humanities you won't be smart enough to learn CS

Go through this tome of arcane knowledge. I generally find that programmers with no taste for arts are less skilled, so while not useful your degree isn't a waste. (This is a general observation, there are plenty counterexamples)

Attached: scarlet book.jpg (260x325, 11K)

Study math;
Enroll in college.

OR

Go to those shitter bootcamps for programming and rack up certificates.