Long term Debian user who brought a new laptop...

Long term Debian user who brought a new laptop. Rather than do a clean install I decided to fuck around with Bash for windows.

>Linux subsystem for windows allows me to use SSH/SFTP to transfer files from my Windows PC to my media server Mac
>Allows me to use any CLI tool I want
>Can use actual photoshop/play games

I see no reason to go back to GNU/Linux. This is literally the best of both worlds. I hope Microsoft keep supporting this excellent idea.

Attached: 2018-05-15.png (1920x1080, 1.77M)

Fuck off m$
Do you niggers do it for free?

It's a great set up. The excellent software library of windows combined with the power of a proper *nix CLI. What's not to like?

2 min booting time as opposed to 16 sec for Linux.

>No one believed me when I said the people shilling Debian were all from Microsoft

Attached: 6D435B17810F4640B0DC3C76C2C764A7.jpg (303x269, 68K)

I don't believe you. On the off-chance you're serious, have fun with your advanced telemetry features and innumerable security holes, I guess.

You know Microsoft are the single biggest donors to the Linux Foundation, right? To the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

My Windows 10 machine with an SSD doesn't have this problem.
But since you're obviously baiting anyway
>not using suspend/sleep or hibernation

>can use ssh/sftp from Windows

That's actually brilliant. Using Putty was like walking on glass.

>microsofties need to install linux to get a decent ssh client
sad!

Technically since the subsystem doesn't include the kernel, it's installing GNU

Jow Forums for gentoo users, kek.

I'm talking about SSD obviously, it's at least a solid 1-2 minutes for wangblows when loonix takes 16 seconds. Also
>using hibernation

>Microsoft does Linux better than Linux

Kek

not that guy but I have hyb completely disabled and my windows 10 boots in like 20 seconds

>1-2 minutes for wangblows

If you’re using a computer from 2008 perhaps.

>not come to Jow Forums for a long time
>come back
>see paid Microsoft shills still dominating and fooling people on Jow Forums
Dear Jow Forums: block the entire Microsoft owned IP range.

Thank you,
sane people

Fuck, I'll measure it it later. Chinkpad t430 with evo850.

4 sec from fde unlock to login. 4 sec for startx to wm+firefox

>shilling

Are you claiming the ability to use Linux CLI tools on a Windows based system is a bad thing? It’s a great addition and shows Microsoft are committed to improving their ecosystem and functionality. The fact it works so well is a a credit to both Linux and Microsoft.

I didn't know that, however it is not relevant to Debian specifically.

Sadly I would say Putty is still better when it comes to customization. Since bash for windows uses the shitty cmd window it's limited to the basic shit it can do.

>/dev/ practically not useable
>not even simple loopdevices are possible
>subsystem is shit for everything else and really just a bloated ssh-client

Yeah the best thing about putty i... -stalled-

Once the subsystem is installed you can call bash from Powershell, which has a decent degree of customisation.

But you can use photoshop, play games and get the most out of your hardware with (((proprietary))) drivers, which is better for most people. Especially consodering there is an adequate windows alternative to managing external devices and disks.

Good for you windows shill
No one cares..

>praising a useful feature which adds a whole new level of functionality is shilling

Hello rms

i use a vm

Who cares what's better for "most"[citation needed] people? 99.9% of the population don't even know what's good for themselves, so don't try to tell me what's better for other people

>”so don't try to tell me what's better for other people” he says, whilst telling someone he knows more about people than they do themselves.

Tip harder faggot

If anything I'd take it the other way. Debian touching the bare metal and Windows being sort of emulated. I have Wine installed for that reason but Windows software is usually closed source so they don't work perfectly if the company making them isn't helping.

>I see no reason to go back to GNU/Linux. This is literally the best of both worlds.
WSL has some limitations, specially if you try to use it with anything GPU-related

that being said, it's still good and for many users it removes the need for dual-boot & VMs

Install 1804. It has comes with more bash features

Embrace Extend Extinguish

Why do you want Microsofts dick OP, don't you like to be part of a community of engineers and geeks? Would you rather have an OS supported by a large army of Pajeets?

Attached: HAHAHAHAHA.png (1200x796, 596K)

So i can run ifconfig now?

Maybe

Mintty

Well if it works best for him then why not? Tbh the ability to have a fully functional bash CLI and still be able to play video games and use things like photoshop seems pretty attractive.

Just get a VM with Pci passthrough enabled, you're feeding the beast if you use windows as your daily driver

This

Wsl is slow and doesn't integrate very well. Install osx

Yes I did the same as you but Windows 10 is just frustrating to use compare to Linux or macOS, I mean bash on windows is not bad but it is not well integrated within the system and font rendering is trash. But power management and performance are much better.

>bash with sftp from windows folders

Literally take all my money

PCI passthrough is a pain in the dick to use with a single monitor setup

My 2008 beast boots

Enjoy your forced updates. Your computer will be doing the moments you want to use it.

Imagine being so dumb you can't disable windows update and manually update once a month

>Poojeet thinks we use Linux for one shell
Lmao, no. We use it because it doesn't spy on us, doesn't have Winshit rot problems, doesn't force updates while we're working, and doesn't come with candy crush shit you can't remove. Fuck Windows 10. The whole OS is an inferior trash fire of dlls, and adding a shell on top of it doesn't change that. Get better driver support too, Micropenis shill. I shouldn't have to hunt for drivers on the OEM website for the iGPU.

That subsystem is fucking dumb anyways when you could just run a headless Linux VM for all of the same tools with none of the downsides. Why does this incomplete shit exist? Do you think you'll really get me to use Currydows 10, super street shitter edition? No, fuck you. Get off my board, you dumb nigger.

Excellent blog, my friend! I'm subscribing to your RSS feed as we speak.

>it's at least a solid 1-2 minutes for wangblows
7 seconds from cold to PIN screen, 2 from PIN to desktop, on a laptop. But I'm not using Celeron M, so there is that.

Woah
So it's NT/GNU then?

embrace, extend, extenguish

nigger, what the fuck are you talking about
i haven't seen a windows pc boot for 2 minutes in YEARS
i just rebooted and it took my pc 19 seconds to get to desktop

>less secure
>spies on you
>you can use photoshop and games on linux
I see no reason to switch from linux to windows

>uses Systemd and Intel
>Worries about spying

At least Microsoft doesn't lie about collecting your data.

>if something isn't 100% effective why bother using it
>implying linux collects data
I use qubes OS unless you can provide some source that even indicates it's spying on me you're just spreading FUD

>implying linux collects data
Canonical not only collected your data, they sold it to Amazon.

And how do you think your experience on qubes os compares to, say, OPs?

KYS shill.

Attached: 1509452980535.png (589x610, 246K)

>my media server Mac
>play games
Obvious b8

>Canonical not only collected your data, they sold it to Amazon.
so canonical collects your data via a custom linux operating system, linux doesn't

>And how do you think your experience on qubes os compares to, say, OPs?

it's the same, I play games (though not a lot due to low end hardware) and I use photoshop

>Embrace Extend Extinguish
That's not what's going on. Windows is trying to take developers back from Mac OS, and given the current state of Apple, their timing is impeccable.

It's not that uncommon. I have a Mac Mini attached to my TV I push animu too using ssh. Uptime measured in months. Have a few 2TB drives attached, it's a great little set up.

Just wait™ for Looking Glass.

seems like embracing

>so canonical collects your data via a custom linux operating system, linux doesn't
Via a custom linux that like 80% of linux users actually use.

ok, so once again the problem isn't linux it's retards making bad choices

Do you have an android phone?

yes with no gapps or services

have you disabled fastboot?

If not you are not truly restarting youtlr machine. Only parts of it. Fastboot prevents the kernel along with other parts of the system to not actually shutdown.

So yeah, perhaps it boots quickly, but you were not truly shutting it down unless you disabled fastboot.

>i bought the most over-priced sub-itx computer on the market and dongle'd some external spinners
>totally not a macfaggot tho
Enjoy your aids.

>it's retards making bad choices
These "retards" making "bad choices" are the reason that Linux is even relevant today.

relevant to who? ubuntu spying on you is recent

>Can use actual photoshop/play games
Can but will you use them?

Relevant to anybody wanting to use Linux on a consumer hardware. But I assume you didn't experience Linux back then, when Canonical and Red Hat weren't in a position there are now in.

how did retards making bad choices lead to linux being relevant today?

Imagine being so dumb that you think disabling updates actually prevents them. Windows has broken this agreement with their users on many occasions.

Windows xp had an update that was forced to all machines (updates enabled or not).
Windows 7/vista had updates that would turn automatic updates back on. I had to switch that shit off every month.
Windows 10 will force you to take your updates if you deny them for too long.

Debian on the other hand just notifies you when you have updates to install, and then let's you choose to install or not.

Imagine being so retarded that you think that dealing with this nightmare is better than running "sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade" every once and a while. Fuck you can even alias it, or have it run when you boot your machine if you are lazy.

see

boot times don't outweigh being spied on and having a lot less control

The Linux subsystem for Windows is pretty broken desu.

Try editing Linux files from Windows.
Try using a network interface.
Try moving Windows file back and forth from the Linux subsystem.

The only use-case I've seen is for various nix utilities, and there are existing solutions for that. Otherwise, you're better off duel booting.

Never had that happen to me though, and I like playing video games

LTSB doesn't have this problem :^)

It's not Linux, it's GNU.

>GNU/Linux
Based

Attached: debian-windows-store.jpg (951x632, 46K)

> App

Nice try Bill.

>rebooting your machine
I thought that was a Windows only thing

But there are no Linux, I don't get it.

Attached: rms-04.jpg (266x399, 16K)

GNU/Windows or as I have taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows.

ITT things that never happened
>be using debian
>literally zero crashes in the last few weeks apart from non-free
>buy laptop
>forgot to tell OEM not to ship windows
>it comes with windows
>weiners crashes in less than an hour
>be spied upon
>install """debian""" pajeet/pseudo-linux for weiners
>be spied upon even more because i'm a dev now
>Something went wrong :^(
wtf i love windows now

also OS/2 tried to support win32 applications natively.

I dual boot.

>all that green
the first thing you need to learn is how to use wsl.conf

You fucking GNU/Linux idiots don't understand. Every single user of Microsoft® Windows® absolutely NEED Adobe® Photoshop® and Autodesk® Autocad® in their computing lives. Every single one of them. Check the facts!

>Ask about GPU support in WSL
>WSL team member replies "Consider it done."
prepare your anus

All we need is able to switch from windows desktop manager to your DE

it still has a linux soul

What’s the point of using the subsystem for anything? As there’s basic shit that’s not working. You might as well go full powershell mode since it’s a more capable shell than bash anyway.

> >Allows me to use any CLI tool I want
tcpdump?

They recently added the ability for the guest Linux OS to access serial and USB devices as well, which is fucking superb if you work with FPGAs/microcontrollers/etc.

It's embarrassing that Windows needs an entire guest OS to have competent CLI tools, but so be it. It works pretty damn well.

Now we just need a decent terminal emulator.