GNOME Nautilus will remove functionality

The file manager in GNOME will no longer be able to open binary files. Yes that's right, no longer will you as a user be able to double click an executable in the file manager you better fire up that terminal if you want such functionality because the GNOME development team thinks you shouldn't be able to use the files you yourself downloaded in the ease of a file picker. Yes even noobs that have no technical knowledge are expected to figure out how to run a simple binary.

gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/commit/3a22ed5b8e3bbc1c59ff3069ee79755168754916

Seriously what's wrong with these autists? Can't they see that opening a binary from the filepicker is a common usecase?

Attached: GNOME Nautilus.png (890x543, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=737849
kde.org
software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>opening a binary from the filepicker is a common usecase?
maybe for windows babbies

What about people that download games? What about those people that created a simple program that they put the binary on the desktop for easy double click?
GNOME is meant for people who want a simple interface, default Ubuntu uses GNOME. Imagine someone someone dumber and less experience than you, Imagine them having to struggle and eventually give up and web search the solution. Do you think that that leaves a good impression?
It's a retarded decisions, a file manager is meant for easy searching, organizing and OPENING files

no excuse

just use nemo though

what about stuffings like tor browser or zeronet hmm tell us about it

They have been fucking around with Nautilus for years. Remember the “spatial” Nautilus from Gnome 2.6?

I hope KDE gets better support for client-side decoration apps.

So stupid. And as always, so arrogant.

>That kind of artificial scenario doesn’t help prove anything. Perhaps bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=737849 will shed more light.

"Artificial scenario", come on

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-15 17-26-44.png (976x294, 49K)

>1. Open Terminal
>2. Enter '/path/to/file'
>3. Press [Enter]

That was easy.

Attached: DSC_8437edit.jpg (397x600, 200K)

Gnome is for cucks

Attached: a fucking foot.gif (710x828, 21K)

>posting non-animated gifs
>in 2018

Attached: 1526398763308.png (710x828, 11K)

>Can't they see that opening a binary from the filepicker is a common usecase?
No. I've been using Debian as my daily driver for 7 years and I have never faced the need of running a binary, either from the GUI or from the terminal. Binaries just aren't a thing like on Windows.
>What about people that download games?
What about them?
>What about those people that created a simple program that they put the binary on the desktop for easy double click?
They can create a program but they can't write a 3 line long script to launch it? Never happens.
>a file manager is meant for easy searching, organizing and OPENING files
No. This definition is too broad. In Unix like systems absolutely everything is a file after all, but you don't expect to be able to modify running processes (which are files) from the file manager. How come binaries are any different? Do you launch processes and create pipelines from the file manager? No. Then why do you think that running binaries belongs there? There's a very clear semantic difference between the files that you interact with using the file manager and the files of a 'dynamic' nature that are managed in other ways, and this change brings the functionality of the file manager to a more consistent state, while also affecting pretty much nobody. Good.

Attached: triggernometry.gif (512x680, 267K)

Just install Steam.

Yeah I never actually launch anything from Nautilus. That’s not the point though, it’s still functionality that should at least be optional.

Dolphin is god-tier, the only thing I don't like is how you can't run sudo. So you can't delete or edit a file that needs root access.

Why did Ubuntu switch back to this trash?

>GNOME Nautilus will remove functionality
While making it more bloated.

>KDE won't let me launch Dolphin as root

Attached: uncalculated.png (421x340, 85K)

>using GNOMEME unironically in 2018
wtf is wrong with you. just install KDE and use QT.
To learn more go to kde.org and software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed

>Stememe
But it doesn't respect my freedoms. And my erotic VNs aren't available from Steam
t. eri

>running a GUI as root

Attached: 1526280421061.gif (650x705, 38K)

Right now KDE is less bloated than Gnome.
Otherwise I've been a MATE user for years.

>launching executables from the file explorer

Attached: retard.jpg (500x551, 65K)

Actually that's a good thing, if you know what you're doing by executing a binary, then you're probably able to to do so from a terminal emulator.
And if you don't, tough luck, you don't get to fuck your system up.

>crippling a file manager of a useful feature

Attached: 1526401186743.jpg (963x1024, 75K)

>I don't use it so let's remove it
I see they're sticking to their design philosophy.

>Trying to use Linux as Windows 98

Attached: super-retard.jpg (499x376, 27K)

>I think the feature is old so it shouldn't exist

Attached: 1526401386750.png (645x729, 39K)

>I think we should let normies to double click executables like in Windows 98, what could go wrong?

Attached: ktarded.jpg (300x264, 17K)

Good choice.
Once more GNOME prove it's a good DE.
If you're so retarded that you can't either replace your default file manager or run a stupid binary file from the cli, then you're retarded enough to not be trusted with running an obscure binary file downloaded from the web.

>haha see I care about security, because I don't let the user shoot themselves in the foot

Attached: 1526402117007.jpg (645x671, 71K)

Soon we will have threads like ">it's 2018 and Linux can't still run executables"

windows baby here, if every time I wanted to launch an executable I had to type the full file path in command prompt I'd switch to mac. That said since you love the shell so much why not just drop the desktop environment altogether it's just a waste of resources anyway and is clealy unnecessary to power users such as yourself.

Blocking users from being able to use random executables they download from the internet without thinking is good
Blocking users from being able to use executables they've compiled themselves from the file manager is bad

>But it doesn't respect my freedoms.

Most games are proprietary, so loving video games while having a hard-line policy about FOSS looks like a hard place to be.

>haha I care about security cause I won't let users to lauch Dolphin as root

Attached: retardation.jpg (431x267, 51K)

>Blocking users from being able to use random executables they download from the internet without thinking is good
No, it's not, at least add an option to enable it.
>Blocking users from being able to use executables they've compiled themselves from the file manager is bad
I don't think this ever happens. Either you use an IDE and run from it, or you do everything from the terminal and run it with a command.

>who needs to run executables from the file manager
>haha KTards can't even run their file manager as root

Attached: 1526402451833.jpg (900x729, 85K)

Just install gnome-games, it will display all your gog games along with your console game ROMs.

>I need to run executables from the file manager cause I'm too advanced
>File manager won't let me run as root cause I'm too retarded

Attached: retarded.jpg (480x360, 16K)

Some people like to use gog more you dumbfuck

I need to connect to my raspberry pis through SSH on a file manager and Dolphin doesn't have this, I have to use nemo (less crippled nautilus from Linux Mint)

>GNOME
Hopeless
These guys should just copy what Windows XP
Personally, I don't care, I use Thunar and XFCE and I have . desktop files for locally installed gui applications
Buy Gnome, fuck those guys...

Btw.. you know who is to blame...
FUCKING RED HAT
ITS A PLOT TO DESTROY APPIMAGE AND PUSH FLATPAK

FUCK RED HAT FEDORA WAYLAND

>Either you use an IDE and run from it
This works for the case where you're actively testing your program - not when you've finished it and just want to run it. In those cases, forcing you to bring up an IDE (not necessarily the fastest program to start up, and not necessarily at all relevant to your program) and navigate to your finished project just to run it is dumb.
>or you do everything from the terminal and run it with a command.
this requires you type in eighty directory names followed by your file name - some of which you might have forgotten or else mistyped - which will almost surely be much slower than just navigating to your program through the file manager and double-clicking on directories and the program as you approach it. Still not the best.

>I need to run my file manager as root because I'm too dumb for cli
>I can't run executables from the file manager because I'm too dumb

Attached: 1526402756289.png (645x773, 49K)

You mad bro?

But Nautilus won't let you run executables as root but at least you can run it, but KTards won't ket you run Dolphin as root, cause KWin is an unsecure mess than cannot run as root.

>using linux

Attached: aBx6L6P_460s.jpg (460x678, 98K)

>GNOME can be run as root so it's more secure

Attached: 1526403398106.png (408x450, 23K)

Exactly, GNOME is more secure it can be even run as root, KDE in the other hand knows KWin is a pile of security holes and will block you to run it as root.

>>KDE won't let me launch Dolphin as root
....good.

Only a retard would want to run Dolphin as root.

Attached: 1510656952537.jpg (415x392, 51K)

>through SSH on a file manager
That makes no fucking sense.

And only retards launch executables from the file explorer.

Yeah, that's true too. What's your point?

>what is sshfs

They could at least give you the option to re-enable it, but noooo

Dolphin will work fine with sshfs. Everything works fine with sshfs. sshfs uses FUSE and no file manager in existence will not work with files being served by a FUSE filesystem.

You can, compile your own version

dolphin works with fuse.

Attached: 1509480016258.png (1014x768, 58K)

Not everyone who runs Linux has a minimum of a Core i3 to compile it within a reasonable time frame and then having to do this for every new release

Wait so this means you literally cannot double click to launch a program on GNOME? lmao if true

I literally didn't even know you could do this. What's more shocking to me, is that there's people using their file manager as an application launcher...

>is that there's people using their file manager as an application launcher.
Yes, there are, we call them KTards

cant wait

>not having a dedicated sandboxed gaming machine running win10 ltsb and steam, so you can stream to any steam client

You wat mate? kdesu will allow you this.
KDE has even dedicated link in menu for root.

wew, is this the future of debating. great stuff

Nope, It won't let you, try running "sudo dolphin", good luck

kdesu dolphin
No problem, sudo is not designed for GUI programs

>sudo is not designed for GUI programs
witch is bs, cause I can use "sudo nautilus" w/o problems

>Back then it was common for apps to be delivered in
a tarball, nowadays that's out of question.

GNOME cucks as usual only thinking abou their own limited use cases. When will they block launching the terminal?

There is a kstart menu option which is titled "File manager - Super User Mode"

The fact that you retards could not figure this out says it all. You can use the underlying dbus-launch command in konsole like sudo.

They will discontinue terminal emulator soon.

Attached: 2018-05-15 13_40_19-gui - Why should users never use normal sudo to start graphical applications_ - (695x807, 67K)

>he double-clicks on binaries to execute them

Attached: Slim_U_wot_m8_jp.jpg (375x312, 26K)

Correct.

>kdesu
fucking weebs

Attached: GNOME must suck.png (716x640, 114K)

GNOME is the only DE betting for desktop and UX innovation on Linux these days. At least they have a clear direction, and every decision is aligned.

Other DEs are only a bunch of great and terrible ideas and their development teams are still stuck in 2000s

No it won't, just tried it
Maybe your distro has "fixed" dolphin

>tablet UI for desktop
lol

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-21 GNOME - Wikipedia.png (249x238, 32K)

They changed it because Wayland won't let you run GUI as root (probably a GNOME developer's idea).
KDE devs are working on a polkit solution instead.

gnome evangelists rationalise this as gnome is doing what osx tries to do but better, that gnome is superior because osx quality has dropped a little of late, that osx has the worst font rendering of any modern system, that gnome works well on touchscreen laptops/tablets, that the alternatives to gnome are worse, etc
what they fail to realise is that not even gnome developers use gnome but rather use osx and develop gnome in a virtual machine

the funny thing is that it isn't even good with a touchscreen

This made me think. During the several years I've used Linux, running binaries from the file manager has very rarely come up. I guess I could run shell scripts like this too, but I usually need to be able to see what they output so I run them from the terminal instead.

> #
>>kdesu
>fucking weebs
Kawaii desu

Attached: images(9).jpg (400x400, 37K)

kys

>implying normies care about Linux

Because the hope for consumer Linux is dead and they pivoted to the server and fired their desktop devs.

>at least add an option to enable it.
The option is called free software retard; compile your version of GNOME with it enabled.
None of your shit matters. If you develop your own program for day to day use, then you install it. You don't just have a binary around and pretend to use it by clicking on it forever; you install it and then you can launch it with one click or with one command.

Exactly. I hate their aversion to options.

Yeah. I still do that... It's the easiest and safest way to use up-to-date Firefox on Debian.

To be honest, file managers never really worked that way. If you double click a downloaded binary file (that didn't originate from a tar.gz which preserved its executable flag), it will just open in the text editor, because OF COURSE that's what you want to do.
Usually even right clicking, changing properties and setting the "execute as program" checkbox do NOTHING to help.
You have to use chmod +x from the terminal.

It's shit like this that makes it obvious Linux is not even CLOSE to being usable by normies.

Or people can start using better DEs than Gnome.

Gnome user here, and I still don't understand why I installed it.

Still, why are Windows plebs always like:
> HAHA if you hate desktops, you should use the terminal.

it's called basic functionality. Loonix should try it sometime. Who knows they might even manage to creep above 2% marketshare.

>why not just drop the desktop environment altogether it's just a waste of resources anyway
correct. DEs and WMs are for pussies.
i browse Jow Forums with the json api in tty

who the fuck does that anyway?

>using nautilus

>not dolphin

>minimum of a Core i3 to compile it within a reasonable time frame
Peer reviewed source please.
>reasonable time frame
What did he mean by this?
>having to do this for every new release
Else they come and shoot you in the head, right?

>running binaries is a basic functionality in a system where executables don't exist anyway
Spotted the winbaby.

>Else they come and shoot you in the head, right?
Else he doesn't have an update you fucking moron.