>linux is an unstable hobbyist OS
when will a development OS come to be?

Attached: skeleton.jpg (1024x679, 207K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just use FreeBSD

>mac OS is retarded

Attached: 76BC693F-7BA4-4488-A00C-C66708F2C0B5.jpg (600x733, 36K)

>windows isn't unix
This is just a statement, next.

>mac OS is retarded
Ok?

>linux is an unstable hobbyist OS
It's not if you're not a retard

>when will a development OS come to be?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

>65956123
sorority girl detected

GNU/Linux is still the most stable option.

>linux is unstable
Debian "Stable"
CentOS
OpenSuse Leap
RHEL
There are a fuckton of stable Linux distros user, you just can't have that cake and eat the muh bleeding edge cake too.

Xubuntu 18.04 is out now and its perfect desu

Attached: 1461390022605.png (1200x900, 1.14M)

You shouldn't need to be a Linux system admin to fucking write unrelated programs
>b-but what if everyone learned an entirely new and irrelevant skillset!
developer time is too valuable, sorry

Loonix just werks for me.

Install Gentoo. It's really stable.

Where I work there are dev who use Windows, Linux and MacOS boxes. They're all proficient at their jobs. If you think developing with Linux requires "system admin," knowledge, then you're an non-dedicated and child-like retard. Just pick an OS and start writing code, it's really not that complicated.

weird how similar this pic is in theme to what I took a few weeks ago lol

Attached: DSC_0013.jpg (1000x1000, 883K)

I do all my web development on my Linux machine with VSCode. How retarded are you to not know how to download a text editor?

>when will a development OS come to be?
the purpose of development is to create software for end users, so maybe that will give you a hint

>windows isn't unix
this is by far not the only reason to not use windows, i don't even care if it's unix or not, i think it should be
>windows is an unstable supposedly "professional" OS whose only redeeming feature is being supported by third parties due to a huge marketshare obtained with anticompetitive practices rather than by its own merits when being defended by people who was literally instructed on how use it from a young age at school and that now fears that if other os becomes popular their knowledge will worth less by actively supporting those practices while they sign a contract where MS can access and own all their data with no guarantees.

see

>>linux is an unstable hobbyist OS

Actually, Linux and BSD are the least unstable and most secure operating systems, which is why they're used on servers so much.

Being a dev who has to work on an MBP from time to time, sometimes I'm thinking about starting collecting a giant fucking copypasta about why exactly macOS is fucking retarded.
Win10 is currently the most versatile OS for development out there. WSL allows you to set up a proper Unix-like development environment without requiring VM usage - and you'll still have access to all Windows desktop functionality.

>and you'll still have access to all Windows desktop functionality.
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

>be me, try to use mac for software dev
>ok, I need to delete this file
>select file, hit delete key (external keyboard)
>nothing
>hit backspace
>nothing
>????
>ok whatever, but now I need to cut and paste a file
>cmd-x cmd-v
>nothing
>ctrl-x ctrl-v
>nothing
>?????
>later, try to install X11
>download, install with package installer
>package installer freezes
>can't close it, can't force close it, can't shut down, literally the whole shell is fucked
>have to kill -9
>whatever
>mount network share with code
>start working
>run build off of share
>network issues, share dies
>build process hangs, state S+ or something iirc
>ok, I'll just kill it
>doesn't work
>ok, I'll just kill -9
>kill -9 doesn't fucking work
>apparently on this retarded kernel it's possible for processes to stay alive even with kill -9
>had to reboot the machine
this was on a company issued 2017 MBP for context
honestly I have no idea how CS people manage with anything but Linux

> windows isn't unix
> osx is
> osx is retarded

Whose the real tard here?

In a couple of years. Microsoft is on the fast track to ruining their OS, and nothing else is remotely suitable for real work. They're going to piss off some very powerful people as they move more and more of the shell to managed code, and continue to deliver "service packs" as continuous reinstalls of the OS.

Linux is hardly unstable, and has great driver support. Sadly their I/O model is a mess and they don't have a decent next-gen filesystem. (BtrFS is a disaster, and ZFSonLinux will always be an alien to the kernel as long as the kernel insists on an LRU page cache.) -- The best thing Linux could do for itself right now is port kqueue, embrace ZFS, and make the page cache pluggable so ZFS doesn't have to mark all its memory as committed.

I also think we're hitting the limits of hierarchical filesystems, as a whole. I think the next gen OS will expose content-addressable storage and a tagging model for organization along w/ lightning fast search. (Hierarchies can be built w/ sets, but sets cannot be built with hierarchies.

> win10 is the most versatile
> you can boot win, Linux, or macOS on a mac

Drrrrrrrrrrr

>and nothing else is remotely suitable for real work.
Define real work.

graphic designer perspective
>windongs is creepy and obnoxious botnet
>sodomiteos is licensed to run only on computers that are 'premium quality' junk meant to break down in 2 years or less
>linux has no software

How's that a property of an OS?
Nice to see you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can boot Windows, Linux, or "macOS" on a PC too. There's absolutely nothing special about Apple's i7s, Foxconn boards, and AMD GPUs. (Apart from the aluminium enclosure, all the dongles, terrible warranty service, and ridiculous pricing.

Also it's Mac OS X. Just because the BDFL died doesn't mean they get to rebrand their OS without making any serious architectural changes to it. It's like fucking Microsoft bumping the major version number of NT without changing the driver model.

Go ahead and name a fortune 500 company that isn't using AD DS along w/ hundreds of thousands of dollars in SQL Server licensing to run their godawful ERP packages. You might not like it, but companies aren't provisioning laptops with fucking Gentoo or FreeBSD for the hordes of normies that drive the economy.

I'm not saying POSIX isn't useful, after all it serves as the backbone of the Internet, but sadly that's become a cancer on society. Social networking, targeted advertising, the media's influence served to us on-demand 24/7. These systems are doing work, but I wouldn't call it useful work.