Make Jow Forums Respect the 4 Freedumbs

So we tried convincing M00T (rip sweet little prince) to make Jow Forums FOSS but have we tried convincing Hiro yet? I don't think so.
Okay freetards of Jow Forums we need to come up with a plan and arguments to convince Hiro of why he should open up the site allow for a issue tracker, etc. Maybe we should email RMS and FSF to help us annoy Hiro till he gives in, -I mean- gets convinced.
Like why is vp8 webms supported but vp9 not? Maybe we should just talk *calmly and rationally* to him on irc and explain why closed source is only making it more difficult and costly to maintain this site.

Hiro if you read this, we're a community not a goyim cattle for you to control. We want to help and contribute to the site, not get used by it. Respect the users freedom instead of being an insecure faggot that doesn't want to show us the messy internals. We will be your free army of programmers if you let us. Look at all the great FOSS projects around the globe, why not join them instead of being a zucc tard?

Attached: an hiro.jpg (480x360, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/carAe6c5
youtu.be/6KFz9WRRNpk
github.com/anon6385/stallman-mailchan
desuarchive.org/qa/thread/183913/#q212618
b4chan.org
youtube.com/watch?v=vc3JWo2iiGc
warosu.org/g/thread/S50525832#p50527753
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Turn your adblocker off, then ask yourself whether you think this will go anywhere at all.

turned it off and still am optimistic about the possibility to convince hiro

Not sure if this a good idea because we're talking about a website. It will make it easy for a competitor to steal the idea of Jow Forums. If Hiro wants to sell his site later, nobody will buy it because the opensource version will be free.

Turn off Jow Forums-x or that one other user script that you might be using too.

>what is vichan

There's better imageboard software out there. Moot didn't release the sauce because a) the site is under constant attack and it could provide more vectors and 2) because the spaghetti code behind this shitpit is embarrassing to look at.

There are already plenty of open source imageboard software available that are better than Jow Forums.
The Jow Forums domain is more valuable than the backend, the domain is where everybody goes to.

Jow Forums is hosted on cloudflare which already has great security features.
If Jow Forums doesn't get open sourced the code will forever be shit and would require hiro to hire and spend big money at developers.
Maybe when it's open sourced there will be some pranksters looking for exploits but I think there will also be a lot of white knights to balance things out. Maybe there will be some lulz but that will cause the exploits to be fixed and thus making Jow Forums more future proof.

The idea and the original code were copied verbatim from futaba. There are hundreds of alternative english-speaking imageboards on the internet, like 420chan or 8gag.

>If Jow Forums doesn't get open sourced the code will forever be shit and would require hiro to hire and spend big money at developers.
If they open sourced it, they definitely wouldn't implement any commits made by anyone else. As many other people have stated there is better imageboard software out there with the same capabilities, so literally nothing is lost if they don't share it.
Your insistence seems quite suspicious, though. What are you up to, pussytits?

Why wouldn't they implement good commits?
>What are you up to, pussytits?
nothing, I just want to be less of hypocritical free software advocate by spending my days on a closed source site

If Christopher "the faggot söyboy" Pool'sclosed didn't want to make Jow Forums FOSS, Hiroshima "masuta shittoposuta" Nagazaki won't.

Alright user. Draft a letter to stallman then. Post the content on pastebin. We'll keep bumbing the pastebin link as /general/ till our prayers have been answered by either party.

Attached: ilikeit.jpg (378x363, 49K)

stay in 8gag, newfriend.

okay

>Dear Stallman,
>
>I'm sending you this mail regarding a pretty populair internet forum I browse.
>The forum is pretty popular and you've probably been in contact with it, it is called Jow Forums.
>The site fosters technological discussion and a large part is actually a free software advocate but there is a catch, the site is non free software.
>Now our idea is too convince the site admin to release the software under a free software licence, we have the numbers but with your endorsement our message would have greater weight.

what do I need to add?

Firstly, this is not fucking pastebin. Secondly, your English is literal pajeet-tier. Are you European?

> Phone poster reporting in from Thinkpad

Yeah that's a lot of I. How about you address him in the name of the community? Attach the link to this archived thread maybe?

I'm europoor, yes. secondly, what does it matter if it's pastebin or not?

Matter of fact, I'm willing to spam him the same mail each and every day until he replies

He's got a point you know. How about u post ur formulation then?

True, can a native english speaker please improve my draft?

I miss moot...

Not an argument.

It's a command, not an argument. It's not our fault your boards have like 4 posts a week.

>Dear Stallman,
>
>We are a group of free software enthusiasts that browse a popular internet forum called Jow Forums, you probably have heard of us.
>The site fosters technological discussion and a large part of the community promotes the use of free software, we've convinced 100s of users to switch to freedom respecting operating systems.
>There is a catch though, the site itself isn't freesoftware. The hypocrisy of us promoting free software through a proprietary website is too much to handle.
>Now our idea is too convince the site admin to release the software under a free software licence. We have the numbers and know how to get in contact with him, but with your endorsement our message would have greater weight.
>Love you Stallman and 1D girls > 2D girls > 3D girls kawaii

He didn't argue faggot

>Love you Stallman and 1D girls > 2D girls > 3D girls kawaii

Yeah, that will do.

Can someone summon /lit/ to fine tune our call for help?

>you probably have heard of us.
He has heard of us. He mentions us on his site.

We want the email to be readable user.

This should be a daily thread. Webm limit should be raised to 8mb and sound on all boards. Higher limits for HD boards

Come on help him. I'm no native english speaker, but i want to support this cause.

I made a /lit/ thread, I hope I tackled it correctly by masking it as a writing exercise thread.

something something inane comments

>inb4 some autistic 16 year old Jow Forumstard with cockli meme email actually sends this to him

pretty git

one cockli mail might not change anything. But a swarm of cockli mails just might be enough

spamming RMS is a retarded idea, it will turn him against us.
we shouldn't be annoying

Attached: TGYC0Q2.jpg (480x451, 59K)

That's an assumption, just as mine. Remains to be seen if it works or not. Feel free to make a better suggestion tho

>Jow Forums is hosted on cloudflare
No

He won't be annoyed if you write your own emails.

I guess the reason behind the closed source is because of moderation, revealing the code would make ban evading easier, also moot may have put GPL code on the site without keeping the license which would be a problem if released. Finally let's not forget that the authorities closely follow this site so it wouldn't be weird if they have special access, i remember how hiro was talking to the feds when the grinch in a mask holding a gun event happened.

Good point. Anons should be encouraged to send a personal mail instead of the planned spam.

If the code is good ban evading shouldn't be a problem

Mods can still filter spam, block IP ranges etc. even if the source is public, the blocking rules can still be secret

this. they can also keep serving their secret algo ads. as long as we remain free to adblock

I second this.

OP here, I can make sure a new thread comes up after this dies but I can't do everything on my own, I've done: these but I need your guys help if we want it seriously.

Attached: really.png (900x900, 21K)

well, your computer connects to buttflare to download 4chinz

I still got your back OP. Also bumped your /lit/ thread. Make sure you keep those threads up.

> still at work
I can create a git repo for a stallman mail cronjob once someone posts a final pastebin link

thanks senpai

Attached: 1456875653362.png (298x256, 125K)

So got this from the lit thread

>Hey Stallman, 'member that Javascript issue about not being free as in freedom? What if we make one of the biggest forums out there fully free as in freedom?
>We want your collaboration because we need your collaboration. You see, we are not in a place of always respectable reputation, but is a place of big flow of people and influence, so people who respect you and follow your work tries to give this site a tad of freedom we all need. Is not always easy, but we reached some hearts and made a few friends there.
>Imagine the minds you can reach free if you can at least send a letter back to our site administrator telling him about your support to its residents request of making this site more freedom friendly and paving the way for the rest of the web. The light that will bring to other sites to reconsider their habits.

I've put it into a pastebin: pastebin.com/carAe6c5

You forgot to add send bobs and vegana

Attached: C810F16E8AA44544A990D11027AA746C.png (674x384, 292K)

>Steal the idea of Jow Forums
There's thousands of other chans out there, there's nothing to steal.

Send letter.

>Matter of fact, I'm willing to spam him the same mail each and every day until he replies
I'll take mail filters for $20 thanks Alex

>but have we tried convincing Hiro yet? I don't think so.
Even if people tried, it wouldn't work. Here's why:
youtu.be/6KFz9WRRNpk
Knowing this, try not to profile yourself.

A pajeet/nigger-tier imageboard engine made by some poolack that was so shitty it led to several leaks from 8ch?

github.com/anon6385/stallman-mailchan

> still at work

Inaccurate. I still remember Jim Watkins (the 8shit owner) even scammed Hiro and blamed him about that thing with datamining. Poor Hiro.

NTA but what point are you trying to make?

Hiroyuki was in the FLOSS movement since long ago desuarchive.org/qa/thread/183913/#q212618

>people can leave this site, one click
the fucking owner is a newfag

>tfw

Attached: wojakSlightKek.png (400x400, 30K)

He's got a point

That Hiro is a turbo-Jew and won't care about freedoms.

So, assuming we were to send this to RMS, what means of contacting him should we use in order to show that we are being serious?
This guy clearly didn't have luck

I think its worth a shot
Besides, its gonna be hard to ignore a suggestion backed by Stallman

proton mail

What else?

Make a signature that resembles his

>There's better imageboard software out there
There really aren't.
Go look at any other software and bring back one with a frontend that looks anything like Jow Forums. Jow Forums doesn't need to be open-sourced because Jow Forums is mostly perfected.

Who?

fuck off and keep your political autism to yourself
thanks

Wrong, there are better designs. And I hope you are not implying you know the source code.

reee

Have a bump

Attached: moot_enjoying_topkek.png (200x219, 7K)

Bump with some OC I just made, let's open up Jow Forums fags come on give ideas on how we tackle this issue, Jow Forums even has non open javascript running.

Attached: Richard Tells The Truth As Usual.png (640x342, 49K)

Have a moot

Attached: moot.gif (400x225, 2.6M)

>are you European
Boy wonder what part of the world the English language originates from

Sauce?

I don't any other idea besides sending this to RMS
Should we send this letter as it is? Is there something else we can add?
And considering Stallman actually supports this, where do we go from there? How will we actively convince Hiro to make Jow Forums open source?

OP here, lets wait to this thread dies. Here's a github with the email,
any user with fresh idea or change could add a github issue or just tell so in the thread. Once this thread dies I'll just make another one with a better plan, I'm currently too tired to lead.

literal clones of Jow Forums's software exist already
b4chan.org

youtube.com/watch?v=vc3JWo2iiGc

BTFO

>have we tried convincing Hiro yet?
He was asked already, and didn't seem very receptive to the idea. warosu.org/g/thread/S50525832#p50527753

>Maybe we should email RMS and FSF to help us annoy Hiro till he gives in
probably just shitposting, but I don't think RMS or the FSF cares about Jow Forums.

>talk to him on irc
he is not active on IRC. Even if he was, the truth is that he does not care about us. He doesn't understand Jow Forums culture, and doesn't associate himself as "one of us." He is not similar to moot and never will be.

what the actual fuck

cool