Here it is, the most thorough "What Programming Language Should I Learn?" flowchart

Here it is, the most thorough "What Programming Language Should I Learn?" flowchart.

Attached: flowchart.png (3642x5090, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StateMachineBasics.html
cs.hmc.edu/csforall/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not bad.

Python it is then.

C or Elixir, not sure what "aroused" means and if it has positive or negative meaning here

Does math make your pee pee hard

Where is the branch of APL?

C, but I don't even know where to begin

funny

is it asking for help? I have shitload of resources to learn C from

k&r C + the unix programming environment + reading the top 50 C questions on stack overflow.

Gay, I guess I'm using Go

This has saved me a lot of time. Thanks!

Attached: Styx_Paradise_Theater.png (607x606, 722K)

APL isn't even real it was an April Fool's joke
>APril fooLs
Surprised more people don't know this
Then again Americans don't seem to know that leaving lights on at night attracts bone spirits that drain the life from you and cause anxiety

>reading the top 50 C questions on stack overflow.
don't listen to this guy, just read K&R

The fuck is Elixir?

Here's an ACTUAL chart of which languages you have to learn.

Attached: eat it cunts.png (708x908, 25K)

>bash > python, php, C++, C
really? I find this hard to believe.

snap back to reality

Attached: cunts part 2.png (761x927, 21K)

Pretty good desu.

so many memes

>most loved
>javascript
but that's not what gee told me

>no fortran
Muh numerical calculations

Wanted*

That was quick, guess I'll learn JavaScript

>3d game
>unity
How about no?
Use unity for 2d project.
Unreal for 3d.

So I must stick to C.
Not bad

Don't listen to this guy, continue to be puzzled by undefined behavior instead of seeing the most common fuckups ahead of time.

>top four all webshit
It's a sad world

Is Elixir still being shilled on here? How many resources are out there to actually learn it? Why is it so slow? What companies use it?

Shit chart desu.

nice, I am just gonna pick 3 of the top 4 programming languages then. HTML, CSS and SQL it is. Are there any tutorials on how to program games using those 3 ?

>falling for the popularity meme
Why would you want to compete with the majority of people? Just because something isn't popular doesn't mean it isn't in demand, no-one learns Cobol, yet most of the banking software in the world requires it, there's a constant demand for Cobol programmers precisely because it is unpopular. What kind of retard goes, all those fucking pajeets are learning Java, I better learn it too?

Attached: 1525754813282.jpg (875x700, 62K)

Why is Ruby LGBT? WWhere matlab>? I gotta do matrices

Why do you think dart is better than kotlin?

Unity is shit regardless. It's such a poorly optimized engine that selling it should be illegal. That said, Godot and GameMaker are better than it for 2D. UE4 is also an overkill, but at least the source is free to access so you can debloat it.

>Indian > no > .. > C#
Daily reminder

Attached: 1525850586746.png (1224x770, 270K)

just because i have a 4 digit iq means i have to learn javascript?

nice flowchart brainlet

>wanting to make games
sweetie, just use twine

Can you stop repeating falsehoods about Cobol and banks? It just makes you look like a gullible retard.

Everyone who wants to learn to program should always learn C first. If they find out they don't like C you haven't wasted your time learning it because it shares commanality with almost every modern language.

Daily reminder user doesn't know how to read a chart. Keep posting it, hysterical.

>Can you stop repeating falsehoods about Cobol and banks? It just makes you look like a gullible retard.
It's easily corroborated by 2 seconds of research. This is something I only know about because my professor mentioned it in a lecture, I think I'm going to trust him over some random faggot on the internet.

Do you want a job? > yes > JavaScript

Sometimes, like the following equation is kinda sexy:

(0)(0)

> mfw I'm a gay Ruby dev

Attached: rainbowpepe.jpg (562x518, 54K)

>do you like convoluted solutions to simple problems
>no
>c

I have mechanics next semester, please post help for learning C

So what is it that the C programmer is making?

Are you an old engineer? --> Y --> Fortran

Did you enjoy your time in the military? --> Y --> Ada

How minimalist are you? --> Very --> Forth

That's the joke

>It's easily corroborated by 2 seconds of research.
And yet hours later, still nothing.
>This is something I only know about because my professor mentioned it in a lecture
This is a meaningless statement.

Sound arguments sure are your weakness huh

I'm confused about what definition of "want" applies to JavaScript. People don't *want* to use JavaScript, they only use it because web browsers don't support anything sane.

C# in Xamarin is also good for apps tho

But the rest is quite nice, except for the game-part.

Gamemaker is fucking shit and Unity is shit for 3D, so it should be C++ and Unreal

C# is generally a nice language though

Fuck, my language (PERL) isn't even on the list

Perl is comfy tier

>hating on GML

Let's be real here; 2D games are typically simplistic and GML is quick. Unless you're one of those faggots that spend 2+ years creating your shitty trap dating sim, GML is perfect.

Be honest, am I over reaching with the aim to learn C# and C++ or C++/# and Java? I’m really enjoying what I’ve been learning so far, but I’m just getting my foot in the door and don’t know if it’s a silly thing to consider.

Attached: 1698B787-5511-43E2-B5B5-EABA659D4F2F.png (1920x1080, 1.03M)

>GameMaker

Nigger, GameMaker is not even multithreaded

seems like a Dart shill desu

I would use fucking actionscript before I would use GML

I went FORTRAN -> C/C++ -> C# -> Python. Each step made my life a little bit easier.

C++ and C# are not that close, to be honest.
However, learning Java after C# and vice-versa is easy.

For real, thanks man. Haven’t been able to get an answer of any kind and I appreciate you taking a moment.

Attached: 88DD3109-BA68-4353-A28B-1B60B3FAF369.jpg (459x600, 156K)

>are you a member of the lgbt community
>no
>flowchart continues in a straight line

Attached: 254703.jpg (360x360, 15K)

>Needing multithreading for your homebrew brony dating sim

shiggydiggy

I think you would kill yourself before actually using either; And this is a good thing.

Attached: facebooksmguy.png (300x368, 18K)

The absolutely very most bestest language is JASS.
Having a different opinion proves you are a onions gobbling nigger.

Not bad but Haskell is more wizardry than lisp. Lua should probably be in the game section and fuck game makers made up language for their proprietary out of date shit.

Is there a good intermediate step I could take to move towards C++? Also that’s awesome to hear about Java. I know it’s pretty popular.

Learning C would be a good idea, I assume. It's just as relevant as C++ if not more.
Then you'll have C# as your object-oriented programming language and C as the procedural one. Then learning C++ which is somewhere in the middle would be a more straightforward task.

It's surprisingly good flowchart. Anyway I ended up again with C++, it's like I'm pre-destined to coexist with it, it follows me everywhere and I'm not really bothered by it that much. Love/hate relationship of C++ as its description seems pretty accurate to me.

Fun Fact: I am an unironical game-dev who works in an indie-studio (that used to work in Flash and now Unity) and makes real money.

2D games are more than "lol just slap some stuff together", kid. What you are talking about is fangame-tier that gets flushed down the toilet and makes zero money. There are of course exceptions like Hotline Miami which I still do not know why the madmen went through with that joke, but here we go.

And ActionScript is really fucking shit, so that says something. At least you can release for web with it. Web, you know? The main platform for 2D now apart from phones where Unity jumps in.

Just found out that GM has web and phone now but at quite a shit state. Well

Funny thing is I expected C++ to be somewhere around games in that flowchart, not because retarded UE in which nobody uses C++ but blueprint, but because we use C++ when we make and maintain our engines, etc. as serious game developers. I'm suggesting to anybody who is enjoying programming (don't mistake it for scripting) games, to try to do some work with DirectX/Vulkan and C++ combo. You will maybe give up, maybe you won't, but the knowledge you can learn about technicalities of what are you working with are priceless.

Thanks man, very much appreciated! Looks like there’s a journey ahead of me.

Attached: 651D10A2-83CB-4221-95EC-E3C8F88CE6DB.jpg (863x752, 249K)

Very nice OP

I would in this case recommend Unity more to start programming. It is easy and if you don't get dragged down by the general unpressionality and incompetence of the whole Unity team that thinks this is how games should be made you can use it as a stepping stone. You have some fun with making games and thent you make some C++ dlls that you incorporate into Unity and call with C# for some performance stuff. You can already code C# by then which makes C++ easier and eventually you just release yourself from the pain that is Unity and switch to UE or something else or even make your own.

That's a shitty chart man! Why all the hate for Java-script? It's not that bad since ES7 dude!!
And How exactly are haskell and lisp mathematical? I'd prefer to write my high performance math code in C or Rust! And I'd personally recommend clojure instead of lisp!!!

>programming
You mean game scripting.

t. doube digit IQ

not cool pal!

If you want to use a pre-made engine to just script some games then stick with GML or Lua, lol

Or if implementing a pathfinding algorithm or a finite state machine is game scripting for you, then fine

C# in Unity is predominantly not used for programming, maybe with exceptions of making plugins or whatever, as you said AI, pathfinding, etc. There is a reason why there are in gaming industry programmers and scripters and they don't do the same job.That's my point just to be clear.

>If you want to use a pre-made engine to just script some games then stick with GML or Lua, lol
I thought Unity only uses C# now, when it dropped JS, or will it? It's pre made engine and it doesn't support Lua, does it? I honestly don't know, I'm genuinely asking.

It is quite easy to make Lua run in Unity, but it is not standard, no.

And yes, sad as it may be, a big part of Unity is actually coded in C#
People who are in the 3D branche though employ some heavy use of the C++ support feature that C# has and Unity allows for the performance intensive stuff. Modern C# compilers get nicer and nicer tricks so performance is pretty close in speed anyway now.

For game-scripting specifically Unity uses some own state machine docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StateMachineBasics.html officially only for animation but people use it for pretty much everything by repurposing it (even sadder).

So yes, C# is in big parts used to extend the functionality, which is programming, not game-scripting. Unity's standard components are surprisingly shit (espacially when you think about those guys actually doing ONLY this) so basically you start to implement your own

Actually, let me rephrase the last part:

With Unity you start with using the standard tools it gives you and eventually you reimplement anything it offers in a better way. Until you eventually become dragged down by Unity and you already implemented so much yourself that you are ready to make your own engine

I think I got you wrong for the first time, thank you for explaining it for me once again, I got it now.

>Dart
That is even bigger meme than Haskell. Is there anyone outside of Dart-team in Google use it?

>be me
>straight white male
>have a straight white gf
>still like ruby
>(actually like crystal, but it's ruby-esque)
Should I tell people I'm gay or what do you want from me?

>R is a language
Huh, I guess I already know something.

C should be a result of saying "Yes" to the second option. It's convoluted as fuck when you can do things in other languages quicker due to abstraction.

confirmed computer scientist here.

the programming language is not really important, the quality of the coures is.
actually, there is four introductory courses that are forestalling all others:

- SICP
- HTDP
- Composing Programs
- CS For All **

pick one of these four to get a solid start in the field. after start, lean data structures and some basic algorithm design and analysis.

** cs.hmc.edu/csforall/

Attached: sicppatt.jpg (800x534, 66K)

>Do you want to make games -> Yes
>2d or 3d -> 3d
>C# or JavaScript + Unity
>not C++
Into the garbage bin.

Do people get Turing Award for an April Fools joke?

It's simple. If you want to make game, then just use Unity.
If you want to learn how to make game, then learn C.
Data driven development with C++ is the recommended way for engine development.
Most C++ features don't get used though, so the programs end up looking basically a lot like C.
So the basis is C, and from then on some specific 'not-terrible' C++ features get used.

It's slow because it's based on Erlang, which was designed for a very specific purpose, which is not general computing.
Some people simply ignore this fact.
If you want CSP, but also performance, then go is your best bet.
And go is not a 'google shill' language. My estimate is that a large number of it's shills are actually plan9, cat-v fags.

This guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about, ignore this post.