There is 30 million lines of software between the hardware and your programs...

There is 30 million lines of software between the hardware and your programs. All these layers slow everything down and make it buggy and unreliable. The reason it's there is because hardware has gotten to complex and varied. We need to go back to the DOS days where the OS would just launch a program, or amiga where every single game was a bootable disk.

tldr: youtube.com/watch?v=kZRE7HIO3vk

Attached: cd7942c052e75ebea3aa8facf602c72dd4db4e94e4af348c255948a8793d5ff4.png (843x474, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gWv_vUgbmug
youtube.com/watch?v=k56wra39lwA
youtube.com/watch?v=8dinUbg2h70
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There would be still several thousands of lines of OS and/or ROM assembly between the hardware and your program, with relatively higher amount of bugs.

How about no you fuckin idiot?

No, user. There ARE 30 million lines of CODE. And the reason it's there is THAT hardware has gotten to complex. Also, you should go back to the DOS days, WHEN the OS would just launch a program.

>We need to go back to the DOS days where the OS would just launch a program, or amiga where every single game was a bootable disk.
that's not what he said. you need to bo back and watch the video again

Rather, the hardware has gotten TOO complex for a brainlet like yourself to operate it properly.

t. has never written an OS

OP eternally BTFO

Attached: file.gif (322x242, 1.37M)

I could definitely do without my CPU running its own embedded OS to operate its management engine and enforce access policies that I don't use. I could also do without EFI OSs that replace my BIOS with something that does more than initialize my hardware and boot into my actual OS.

But going back to DOS might be a little much

why don't you just go down to sam's club and pick up a filing cabinet, some pens, pencils, and a few packets of good ol' college rule paper then?

don't forget a TI-83 for that new-age, low-level, lightweight computing edge

>There is 30 million lines of software between the hardware and your programs

1. There are*
2. That's fucking wrong

It might be hard for you to believe if you live in bliss. But 30M is a very conservative lower bound, it's actually more like 55M.

Attached: 154c95c540efe22cf738b77901a4e30afdf2c09ef8b9fe52f4797b9620481288.png (849x480, 138K)

you are not using both linux and bsd at the same time.
Why the fuck would you have apache and php on your pc?

It also takes the lines of code on the server side into account; FreeBSD is used as a generous assumption in that case because it lowers the bound a bit compared to a second copy of Linux. You can probably remove the last three entries from the equation for a static text or HTML file (and replace Apache with nginx); on the other hand, the graphical environment that Chrome is running on is still missing.

>25 million of them are the browser you're using to read this, and the webpage being read.

>implying I don't wget pages from web without using X.

You clearly are too young to remember those shitty days

He has a point though.
The bloat is getting absurd.

stfu, electron is the only way to make decent cross platform apps.

I doubt this has anything to do with increasing complexity of hardware. So you have more complicated interfaces and states, more types of buses and more types of events. All of is very shallow (nearly flat) tree of dependencies.
The disaster is nesting everything into unnecessary abstractions that suck on every level and create need for new abstraction fixing mistakes of another one instead of fixing things from scratch.

Turned off about 10 minutes in when he starts talking about a "Linux operating system"

Jeff Goldblum?

LE GNU IS NOT LINUX XDDD REMEMBER TO GNU/ABORT BABIES!

He's supposed to be an expert, isn't he? Bit misleading when one is talking about LOC count of a kernel vs an OS.

You're a fucking retard if you don't even understand that

You're actually not far from the most based operating system conceivable. Its called the exokernel. Like DOS it gives programs direct access to the hardware but unlike DOS it does so in a secure manner.

Good start point but wrong conclusion. Multi tasking is a necessity.

Attached: plan9bunnywhite.jpg (1376x1492, 164K)

get on God's level, pleb. runlevels are glowing in the darks' invention

Attached: TerryTempleOS.jpg (800x591, 117K)

temple os is considered harmful.

keyword "a": there was no multitasking

somewhere around 1:20:00 he mentions ISA - wtf does that mean?

sounds to me he wants pic and usable microkernel

Attached: RISC-V_Logo.png (400x125, 4K)

>electron

Attached: 1515180824893.png (1159x665, 231K)

I decided to count all of the lines of documentation in my system. A pretty minimalist arch install. It took over half an hour for all the man pages to compile and came out at over 3 million.

Printed in double columns at 100 lines a page, that's 15,000 pages. Enough to fill, what, 70 books? They would probably stack up higher than my height.

this, with big grain of sadness

Very nice and simple idea. The application decides how to interpret and communicate with the device. Wonder if these types of kernels will ever get popularized enough.

>The reason it's there is because hardware has gotten to complex and varied. We need to go back to the DOS days where the OS would just launch a program, or amiga where every single game was a bootable disk.

No we don't. There is OSes that use almost no resources by todays standard. But all the user-level software devs are both lazy and retarded.

No, retarded child. We're not running on 4,000-transistor 6502s anymore, and churning on tens of millions of exactly-identical computers.

No, there are a billion boxes out there now, every single one slightly different.

>I'd just like to interject for a moment.

This, hardware has become so complex that lots of overhead is required for any kind of sensible use of the machine, abstraction is not a bad thing.

>There is 30 million lines of software between the hardware and your programs.

which are complied and have many branches

>There is 30 million lines of software between the hardware and your programs. All these layers slow everything down and make it buggy and unreliable. The reason it's there is because hardware has gotten to complex and varied. We need to go back to the DOS days where the OS would just launch a program, or amiga where every single game was a bootable disk.

Attached: .png (485x443, 38K)

>amiga where every single game was a bootable disk.

great, you just got rid of multitasking

Of course it is. The guy is probably trolling, that's why he disabled comments.
If you wanted to, you could make your program OS-free today too. It wouldn't be THAT hard, it'd just be using a VESA GPU driver and some generic keyboard driver.

When this dude says each application comes with a OS, he doesn't mean a os comparable to todays OS. They had no network stack. No CLI. No GUI. No file manager. No package manager. No network file sharing. No text, voice and video communication. They didn't support millions upon millions different hardware combinations.

Literally no-one wants to do what he suggested, boot fortnite from a USB stick to maybe get 3 FPS more. Multitasking is a absolute must today. And there's OSes that do all this without bloat.

he means an implementation of an instruction set architecture

youtube.com/watch?v=gWv_vUgbmug
here's his friend Blow complaning about photoshop being slow
I find these guys entertaining but there's a growing number of chumps who just parrot their edgy opinions, which is getting annoying

>talks about graphics performance and vulkan
>Intel could do all this!!
It's clear he doesn't actually want better performance, he's just a luddite who wants to boot his floppies again.

>why are 2018 computers more complicated then 1980s computers.

Attached: 1526436983816.jpg (628x534, 75K)

Most of Linux is architecture-specific stuff

Sounds comfy

I read all this and all I heard was "BeBox".

lmao
fucking kill yourself

saw similar solid talk (did not include shilling his non-existing language at the end) youtube.com/watch?v=k56wra39lwA
and also nice technical talk on rewind in Braid
youtube.com/watch?v=8dinUbg2h70

I'd rather have Chrome eat 2GB of RAM than having to choose between cd-rom and mouse drivers because some fucking game needs 580k

luddism is the only true solution to Stallman's dilemma

Does this software support Intel Coffeelake CPU on Asus motherboard with Nvidia 10xx GPU, Realtek audio and Logitech mouse? Oh, it only supports this combination with a Gigabyte board? Well then get fucked.

This was DOS days. Thank goodness we have OSes and drivers that present the same API to programs regardless of the underlying hardware today.