Why do retro computers seem so cozy

Why do retro computers seem so cozy

Attached: 286.jpg (838x720, 101K)

Limited simplicity.
The boundaries are known.
It's only crime? Curiosity.

Mix of nostalgia and functional design.

Attached: win95desktop2.png (640x480, 6K)

They really weren't, but hipster faggots born after their deprecation seem to think they're the best thing in the world. I remember upgrading to more modern shit, and I would never have wanted to go back then. Still don't, because not only is the design fucking terrible in the majority of cases; They could barely run shit at the time, let alone modern shit. Same with CRTs. They're absolute shit, but turn of the millennium babies think they're absolutely essential.

Attached: 1521051898678.jpg (509x600, 156K)

t. poorfag with his only hobby being watching cartoons downloaded for free

Attached: 7E6467E6-2C3D-493A-9148-F8F2D6534D40.png (801x595, 451K)

>t. brainlet
If you could actually flip or make use of this shit, I'd have sold what was in my storage unit instead of sending it off to the dump.

286 was my first PC (or rather the first PC I was allowed to use). I would get one today if preserved ones weren't thousands of dollars. They've maintained the cozy factor through ages successfully.

The build quality of these old beige boxes was generally higher than the equivalent cheapo desktop now. Sure they were slow but the fucking thing would last you a lifetime, I just don't see many (if any) of the PCs now sticking around in 10-20 years like these have.

Build quality was preserved because nobody wanted to open the things. You got cut every single time.

Because they aren't sterile boxes, they have character.

Attached: new-blinds.jpg (6000x4000, 1.85M)

Retard, retro computers have exploded in demand and prices have gone up. Good for the dumpster diver who picked your shit up and put it on ebay though.

>You got cut every single time
Ha

It's not even just simply functional, it's so much more appealing to the eye than modern flat UI.

I really believe this. I can't quite explain what it is, but this stuff has a sort of energy. The same thing is in old synthesizers and guitars. Something that's missing now and can't be recreated with modern tech.

Attached: juno60.jpg (500x310, 38K)

>Cursor hovers over New
>hard drive grinds away for five minutes
>Menu finally pops up

wut

Attached: 81uUGie3YmL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1125, 276K)

Tasteless as fuck.

Perfect for development

for you

This is hideous. Is that your point?

12 year old me would have loved that thing.

Looks quite sterile to me

Attached: identifyingwood.jpg (600x793, 59K)

The 286 was a mistake.
The 386 is where Intel got gud

you prefer this?

Attached: 386alt.jpg (745x992, 182K)

Well, it needs drowning in peroxide, but yes.

Synthesizers are the easiest to justify since they literally do not make them the way they used to, I guess apart from DSI. Analogue modeling sounds great but there'll always be a place for vintage gear in this case. I love old computers too but that's much more of a subjective "fun to me personally and only me personally" thing than something you can make a case for being actually useful

Because you're a gen-z who never used them. That's actually normal for basedboys of all generations. i.e. millennials larp for vinyl, boomers were into antiques, etc.

Yes, minus the nicotine stains. Look at that thick as fuck power switch.

Attached: soyboy 4.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

>Push turbo button for more power

Not necessarily, for me I like to collect shit from my childhood, that includes old DOS computers and stuff like old NES/SNES games. I have no interest in the shit that came before or the shit I never used.

God yes

>I like to collect shit from my childhood
hello there

Attached: GoV0Irp.jpg (2602x1608, 979K)

I have a few old PCs because its the only way to reliably play and fuck around with some of my old software and hardware (midi controller).
DOSBox does do most all dos well, but PC-EM while super neat for what it does is fairly laggy in operation, mouse movements are janky, etc. PC emulation (for gaming) just isn't as refined as console emulation at this point. Playing on my 486 with a VLB video card is much smoother, and the mouse movement is really responsive then emulated.
The hardware wont last forever though, I'll enjoy it while I've got it

You can recreate the feeling of it with a CRT monitor. There just something is about the CRT display that makes the PC seem "not as real life".

His only crime? hoarderocity

Christ, if you can't set it up tidily, don't bother.

Attached: DSCF9632.jpg (1024x772, 206K)

Because you never had to spend 45 minutes to load a fucking spell checker with huge floppies.

Each time you wanted to run spell check.

>first computer shared computer
>mom wrote diary on it
>security non-existent
>found a file she tried to "hide"
>she tried to have an abortion
>still pissed I read her files
>out of spite went into IT

Motivation.

You sound like a little shit that she should have aborted.

>Christ, if you can't set it up tidily, don't bother.
oh look, a useless desk ornament without any software to do something on it
fucking cleanfags

Comfy because it reminds me of an age when employers didn't expect you to be able to access shit from everywhere all the time. People understood that good work took time, and the technology was insufficiently advanced to allow for any other paradigm. Now everyone expects everything to be done instantly and they expect you to be on call like a fucking surgeon. There is more of an emphasis on "go fast and break things" and less on being careful and methodical.

Attached: 3195184910_1706404dcb_b.jpg (1024x768, 345K)

Woulda coulda shoulda. Too late for that bitch.

You're just used to the extreme sharpness of flatscreen LCD monitors. There's something about the fuzziness of a CRT that triggers the nostalgia inside you.

It has gigabytes of software on its SSD.
The Boxes are elsewhere on a shelf.

95's UI is just really well done. It's got rough parts, but it's fairly simple, discoverable, and stays the fuck outta your way.

I do miss the better color reproduction, being able to properly display more than one resolution, and higher refresh rates being common (even plain original 640x480 16 color VGA was 70hz standard, and around 2001, I decidedly remember running at 90hz -- could go higher on my screen to 120, but I'd need to lower the resolution to like 800x600, and I was running at 1152xwhatever).
but I don't miss 'em that much because of eyestrain -- even with the high refresh rates, staring at that shit all day was awful. My eyes haven't hurt nearly as much these days like they did in the CRT era.

>staring at that shit all day was awful
Have you tried adjusting color temperature? CRTs default to 9300K which is way too blue and easily contributes to eyestrain. I have mine set to 6500K which is much closer to neutral white.

Because they were from an era when the world was a better place.. straight, white and male.

I am OP and this is false.

>be me in 1996
>go to friend to copy duke nukem 3d
>it's like 30 floppies ARJd
>come home with raging excitement
>about to play mother effin duke effin nukem 3 effin d
>floppy #16 fails
>ffs
>walk all the way back to friends house to get a copy of floppy #16
>walk all the way back to home with a raging boner in my pants
>floppy #16 now works
>floppy #29 fails
>mfw

Attached: elfguy.jpg (1920x800, 101K)

His only crime? copying that floppy.

>but I don't miss 'em that much because of eyestrain -- even with the high refresh rates, staring at that shit all day was awful. My eyes haven't hurt nearly as much these days like they did in the CRT era.
Anything above 80hz, eye strain shouldn't be a problem, unless the brightness was too high or the color temperature as the other poster suggested.
I find quality CRTs to be easier on the eyes than most 60hz LCDs.

I read ebooks on the PC sometimes. CRT is better.

Floppies ruled.

>I would get one today if preserved ones weren't thousands of dollars.
i still have one in my basement that hasn't been booted in 20 years.

>tfw you forgot the keys to your pc

>People understood that good work took time
You've got to be shitting me.
Software development was never good. Learn about the horror stories from back them.

You always had a spare in some drawer anyway. I think it was just used to lock the case in some cases (no pun intended).

I think my first Celeron-something PC had a key, but it was absolutely useless. If I remember correctly it just prevented the start button from being pressed, which you could bypass pretty easily.

>Learn about the horror stories from back them
Not him, but any good sources? It's fun to read.

My PC still has a keyhole but it's to lock the hard drive access bays. I vaguely remember having an old model PC with a three position keyswitch exactly like that of a car with off/on/(re)start modes.

Can we put new stuffs inside that case?

Back when power switches weren't feminine

Attached: manly_switch.jpg (745x992, 166K)

>B&O phone
I'd this how rich people lived in the late 80's?

Attached: cxc95e6o.jpg (1080x810, 121K)

>that THICC power switch

Very noice

Delightful

>LCD monitor

Attached: 141075609247.jpg (750x458, 82K)

Old computers do what you want them to do.

Modern computers socially engineer you to do what BigCorpâ„¢ wants you to do.

Attached: 1522531759952.jpg (720x490, 78K)

Blame the brainlets who bring in their Dell shitboxes into Geek Squad with 10 different kinds of malware on it and a desktop that looks like literal puke.

This photo is too real

Now someone just needs to apply a vaporwave filter over it.

Attached: uwu.jpg (117x120, 4K)

Stop that

>Why do retro computers seem so cozy
I'm guessing they seem cozy because you never actually owned one or had to use one daily. I can assure you that they were absolutely totally not cozy.

This so much.

Not so much in all cases. Compaq was a big brand back when you commonly put a CRT on top of the vertical PC box. A local "cheap" computer store opened and had a big opening sale on Copam (not Compaq) computers. A friend bought one and brought it home and put his old CRT monitor on top of it. The case buckled and got a big dent. I suspect the myth of old PCs having superior build quality is a natural result of quality cases surviving while the cheaper cases fell apart long, long ago.

>seem
They ARE cozy, and the reasons are:
1- Back then manufacturers wanted to change the general public image of "computers" as cold, soul-less, anti-human machines, so they basically used warm colors for almost everything.
2- Software was considered intimidating and difficult, so every user interface had to be "friendly".
3- Because all this was very a totally new thing for most people, nice inviting manuals and tutorials were handed, and they all encouraged this sense of exploration and having fun.
4- Computers and CRT monitors actually generated heat.
5- HDD and input devices were mechanical and generated some comforting sounds, almost like these machines were actually alive.

On the other hand, modern computing is sterile, cold and sad.

Attached: macicons.jpg (457x231, 25K)

>manuals
This is a good point regarding both older computers and older electronics in general. Computers used to include very detailed manuals with information on how to service everything yourself. These days you're lucky if there's a single page which explains how to press the power button and get into Windows.

>modern computing is sterile, cold and sad

Objectively better but subjectively worse. I don't miss the insane amounts of heat computers used to put off in the summer months, but it was nice in fall and winter. I don't miss the limited space and the fickleness of floppy drives or the downright unreliability of zip drives, but the shit being read and saved off and on the disk made you feel like you were saving something important. I don't miss many aspects of mechanical hard drives (fragility and speed), but the comforting sound of them whirring away when idle, and chugging when searching for a file... it was just nice.

Also Classic Mac OS (especially 8.6 and earlier) was just really friendly. Technologically awful, but I don't think a comfier operating system has existed before or since.

Attached: Power Mac 7500.jpg (1600x1200, 242K)

Are you me?

In a way, I agree.

The real problem nowadays is not hardware, it is slow, shit and bloated software.
The hardware we have now is OBJECTIVELY better than what we had 15 years ago, but since "developers" can't program anymore and they all need to display shit fancy useless animations that take up a shitload of resources, the overall experience is often not actually better.
Why the fuck do browsers take up 2 GB of RAM with 4 tabs open? For what reason? (I'm obviously exaggerating, but you get the idea).

Older computers are therefore associated to the old, lightweight and often better software, that's what makes them appealing.
You can also explain the retrogaming appeal for the same reason: the SNES, for example, is of course nowhere near as powerful as modern consoles, but it had arguably better games.

Is that nano?

Minimum system requirements;

>Windows 95/98/NT/2000

Well written, lean, fast, just works.

>Windows 8.1/10

Bloated, slow, spyware piece of shit

i need this case in my life

it's WordStar 4.0 for DOS

I remember Windows 98 absolutely CRAWLING on my 166 MHz Pentium MMX with 32MB of RAM. I would hate to think of what it would be like on a 486 with 16 megs.

If anything I found Windows 7 was the only version that ran somewhat acceptably on minimum hardware.

I'm not taking about OSs you dumb prick

>nnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggg.jpg
that's some ultracomfy macintosh user, you should install simcity2000 and enjoy the golden age of personal computers

I've got Win98 on a 66Mhz 486 with 64MB of RAM and it worked just fine, even had a mounted network drive and Deimon Tools installed.
The difference from 32MB to 64MB is massive for Win98.

god I hate him so much. why jerk off over how super nostalgic your writing process is when you never fucking write

He never boasted about it till enough people asked how he wrote in interviews then he finally spilled the beans.

Your memory is shit: I used 98 on a 486 DX2 and it worked pretty well

writing 2 books at the same while trying to steer the show writer's shitty writing to save his name is pretty difficult.

Because you didn't use them.

Even nostlagiawise, they simply remind us of a time where computers solely served the end-user with no bullshit that is non-technical in nature (bugs, unstable etc)

12 year old dictate modern hardware designs

Attached: 1507330540607.jpg (660x546, 326K)

except he finds time to write an entire history of House Targaryen (fire and blood) and various other spin off books.

He just knows he cannot live up to the hype. It was supposed to be a trilogy and now he has realised he fucked up by expanding it.

I hate George RR Martin too, an obese piece of shit that jacks off all the time. I read his pages. There isn't creativity there. I don't see what people saw in him or his books. I hate everything about him. He deserves to live in squalor and filth, not riches for his "contribution" to this world.

That's actually not my Power Mac specifically, but I do have a 7600/120. Like the 7500 but better. And it has both Sim City 2000 and Civilization II installed. I should really dig it out at some point this long weekend.

>golden age of personal computers

Golden age of personal comfiness is more like it. I think the PC golden age was probably between 2000 and 2006 or so, and while a T60 is fine too, nothing compares to these.

more tool-like, professional appearance and experience, more diversity in hardware and software, old enough that people who used them have forgotten about the downsides and people born after them never experienced the bad parts, subconscious association with optimistic ideas of the past
there's tons of reasons why people like it, not much of it is really wrong, computing has matured, true competition on anything but racing to the bottom on price point is dead, and things are boring appliances
this looks like a combination of attention seeking, projection and ignorance
it didn't deserve as many replies as it got

>(you) jealousy

This isn't fucking Jow Forums you know.

no I'm just pointing out that it was a blatant cry for attention that shouldn't have been taken seriously by anyone