So I just received two offer letters

So I just received two offer letters.

The first one is from a company that does C#/.net. They have a very lively modern environment, cubicles, and very nice work space, and it's for a luxuious company.

The other company is for a C++ job, working closely with hardware that is sold to mail offices and across the world. They are a smaller more older style environment with office based workspaces, the tech guys, aka that would be, isolated in one building with a lab to test in. Sort of like 90s style IBM/ Tech Instruments style. It's a lot more "comfy".

They offer the same rate and take the same time to get to. So I'm having trouble figuring out which one is best for my future, other than personal preferences. Both work styles are fine for me.

Attached: 1522856256096.jpg (640x480, 45K)

Lmao, this is a critical decision dude.

It will completely change your career trajectory.

Basically it comes down to how difficult you want your life to be. But, you should know that if you overcome difficulties you become stronger in the end...

It will, which is why it's very much a hard choice to make. I can't make it on a whim. Cause I'm going to be stuck with it for the next five years.

Personally I'd take the C++. But I'm not you, Jow Forums isn't you, and you shouldn't ask Jow Forums.

>and you shouldn't ask Jow Forums.
Very wise words. Never forget.

This. But offices instead of cubicles are a huge plus

Flip a coin, that way there's guaranteed 50% chance you make the right decision

best advise you can get in Jow Forums
follow it

I'd go with the C# position. It probably has more room for advancement.

kek

On the one hand C#/.net doesn't look like it'll go anywhere soon, webdev is here to stay and there will always be jobs in that field.

On the other hand, C++ can lead you into embedded and/or military/aerospace applications, I imagine there's less competition with Pajeet in these spaces, and more opportunities to make large stacks of cash in future opportunities while having the satisfaction of working with hardware directly. Plus maybe you'll be working on more varied projects instead of just back-end or full-stack.

If it was me, i'd go for the C++ route, you can always pick up C# later in the future, and the discipline you learn from doing embedded C++ will be transferable to any project.

C++ is what I grew up on, so thats why Im still considering it. C# is good for a more webdev/ front end future. But C++ does lead to more money. However, the C# job also carries with it rep with a very big company.

This. Think about it this way OP: in 5 years, is a C++ shop more likely to hire a run of the mill C# dev, or is a C# shop more likely to hire a veteran C++ dev?

also, this:

Second offer seems to have less bullshit meetings, deadlines, supervisors, ITIL, documentation, documentation.

First one looks like a lot of meetings, SCRUM, project management, Excel graphs, more meetings, unrealistic deadlines

You're right on the money with that. Meets every day or so, a lot of an agile environment as they told me, lots of messing with Biztalk and Team Speak, and having to be on call duty which is switched around from each person.

I understand the allure of being associated with a large company, user. But that seems to me that you're already planning an escape from there into something else, and it's main purpose is to get brownie points on your CV so you can negotiate more money in future opportunities. If you go the C# route now, maybe you'll end up getting stuck in webdev for much longer than you intended (if not forever) no matter which companies you move to, and you'll always be working on minor variations of AWS/JS/C#/JSON/REST API projects etc, whereas if you go with the C++ route now, you can always move into webdev later if you want, but retain the option of working on much more interesting stuff with C++, and perhaps being able to have a larger individual contribution in a smaller company than you would working as just a small cog in a huge company. Just my 2p's worth, and in the end it's your decision, but i'd still go for the C++ job.

Go with the second one if you're aright wing retard

The C++ job is more in line with my experience anyway. I've done jobs where I did a lot of testing right there with the hardware, and it feels a lot more comfortable to me than the C# environment. You are right that C# means Im stuck in webdev again when Ive been trying to get out of it back into desktop/ embedded systems. C# is a convenient option, but I'm likely only considering the allure of it.

C# is enjoyable and won't give you much headache.
Go for C++ if you like it though.

your own office
is this even a question nigger

I'd write assembly in an office over C# with open plan.

Attached: mockup-007b9a14.png (600x600, 146K)

I had a similar choice a few years ago. I went with the second option and now I write code that runs on particle accelerators. If I had to do it all over I would make the same decision in a heartbeat.

That's fucking cool, actually. Is it government or university funded?

It's a for-profit corporation. There is a worldwide market of producing various isotopes on-site, mostly medical applications, some defence.

Yeah it sounds like you guys are in a good market, then. I found medical and DoD stuff tend to be the most useful as far as embedded systems are concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if Im working on aerospace anytime in the future, but I don't think Im ready to participate in such time-critical systems of that caliber.

is this reddit?

the hell that means

Nobody expects you to be ready beforehand. Just like any engineering field you start on troubleshooting/optimising some small non-critical components and move up from there.

Yeah I'm exaggerating that at that point.

Personally I'd go for the C++ job. But the C# will probably give you more marketable skills in the future.

C++ is a big personal choice. But yeah the C# is very lucrative on me as a person.

I mean you won't be completely fucked if you go the C++ route. It's still used a lot, even in the "enterprise" software space that C# targets. But with C# you will probably have a bit more flexibility on where you can work in the future. Pay will be about the same AFAIK. Just go for whichever sounds more "fun" to you, neither is a bad choice.

C++ is fun cause I get to solve shit that I'm use to solving, and the C# is more of a support/ expanding role as far as I know. C++ is in a more boring workplace while the C# is in a good Google-like environment with curving corridors and what not. It's literally right now a new vs. old choice for me, and it sucks cause I came from an old style, but had a lot of new style surrounding me over my career. It's bonkers trying to figure out which is the best fit for me. The issue is that they're both the best for me. I like them both. With C#, despite its bloated list of tech, it would be fun to manage and learn more of .net. With C++, I'd get to mess with new embedded systems and play around with imaging stuff.

Attached: 1520132056195.jpg (1920x969, 109K)

I was in the same position as you but the c# position paid way more. Still hate Microsoft tho

Is microsoft really that difficult to work with as far as all their tech in C#?