Broken Old Mac Classic 2

Anybody knows what could be causing this? (Or how to fix it?)

I found it with a bunch of other tech that was going to be thrown out.

Attached: Screenshot_20180517-144319_01.jpg (1080x1427, 444K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/mac_The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls_1992
youtube.com/watch?v=5GivbpvLpm4
youtube.com/watch?v=mBnQXqRjrCc
youtube.com/watch?v=mEBjVW9TG2E
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5qewph/refurbished_and_old_xbox_development_kit_and_made/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

crack that piece of shit open and look for capacitors that have swollen, and replace them, if you're that anxious to have a computing experience like a motorola cell-phone.

I've seen people mod these to be able to act as a casing to slide your iPad into. You could then just use a bluetooth keyboard and use it as a (what's a) computer

OMG WTF I'm now a nerd.

Look through this book, it will explain everything

archive.org/details/mac_The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls_1992

youtube.com/watch?v=5GivbpvLpm4

youtube.com/watch?v=mBnQXqRjrCc
youtube.com/watch?v=mEBjVW9TG2E
Caps, caps, and even more caps.

Don't throw it out, and don't gut it for an iPad stand like that one retarded hipster suggested.

Is it making a an almost unintelligible glad breaking sound? If it's not, the system thinks everything is ok...

I can't recall if the finder based Macs used system RAM for any of the video of not. I don't think it did... Still, if you have a box of old PC simms, it won't hurt to try different memory. It's just EDO, and nothing fancy, despite what the sales pages of the day said.

Do the zap the pram thing. It hasn't changed on Macs since the beginning. Command option p r, till you hear a bing. Keep holding and it will repeat. Each time you hold it down and repeat it clears another level lower of settings. I think it's three levels deep, so hold it down for there dings.

This is typically caused by the chip sockets getting dirty. clean em up and reseat the chips and you should be good to go! Make sure you use a proper chip removal tool. Also replace the clock battery. When those leak, they ruin the logic board.

Check for bad caps like user said, but be careful with the ones on the analog board. Make sure you discharge it properly.

don't ruin a classic macintosh or steve jobs' ghost will assfuck you in your sleep.

also good advice.

Literally pick it up and slam it down on the table (not too hard) as it's from the era where Macs had an issue with parts coming slightly unseated/desoldered from heat and banging it down while it's running and hot sometimes fixes the issue temporally. Apple eventually "solved" the problem by putting a piece of rubber on some of the pieces so it pushes them down but after this long it's probably either warped or deteriorated.

Rule #1 is: Thou shalt check voltages!

Attached: DaveLabARMSS.jpg (601x490, 76K)

>
don't do this. user is thinking of the apple III.

I'm pretty sure it's happened to a lot of Macs. I know Louis Rossman even documented some recent macbook models where Apple even used the same rubber pad "fix"

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5qewph/refurbished_and_old_xbox_development_kit_and_made/

holding parts down in laptops sure, but the issue with chips working out of sockets due to heat was an apple III thing. with old macs especially the ones with intergrated CRTs, it's better to open it up and reseat the chips if you have the tools/skills

Could be a bad flyback transformer

Try re-seating the ROM chips on the motherboard first. This problem sometimes happens when they become loose during transport or over time. If that fails, and I am not even shitting with you, try soaking the motherboard in soapy distilled water (removing the PRAM battery and the ROM chips). Bad capacitors will generally leak electrolyte fluid on the board and short-circuit everything, and leaving the board in the water for an afternoon, rinsing it off (again, distilled water) and then leaving it to dry for a few days will remove the offending fluid and the computer should boot.

t. tried this on a Classic II and an LC, worked both times

On a side note what is with all the Classic Macs being posted to Jow Forums today?

D E L E T
E
L
E
T

Attached: 1525669857791.jpg (683x683, 68K)

>Check for bad caps like user said, but be careful with the ones on the analog board. Make sure you discharge it properly.

shuut UUUUUUUUUP!

Go to VCFED; they would give you more useful advice than you'd get here.

You wouldn't get any picture if the flyback was bad. This is a problem with the computer itself, not the CRT. It may well be bad caps because it looks like a Compaq P4 I had with that problem.

I am to take it Apple did not use the best quality caps in their machines.

Maybe not but 80s Macs predate the use of Chinese capacitors like the kind that plagued PCs in the late 90s-early 2000s.

The Classic II is early 90s, not 80s though.

>Macshit
Found your problem.

Surprised it took 12h for a shitpost to show up. Fuck off till you're old enough to post here.

>muh apel
Fuck off till you're old enough to use a computer.

Attached: 1498682698855.png (429x245, 38K)

>Anybody knows what could be causing this? (Or how to fix it?)
>Mac
Therein lies the root of your conundrum.

Attached: 1514651413610.png (686x955, 520K)

That computer's older than you are.

Thread's over.

That post fills me with unhealthy amounts of rage and there’s nothing I can do about it.

More specifically, the FT might be on its way out. Screen issues are a known symptom.