How is the life of a software engineer?

How is the life of a software engineer?
Is it as comfy as I imagine it?
Are you happy? What do you like? What do you hate?

Attached: images[1].jpg (275x183, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iptUNUFdyas
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How is the life of a software engineer?
Same as with any profession. Ups and downs.

>Is it as comfy as I imagine it?
Probably not.

>Are you happy?
Somewhat

What do you like?
Doing interesting work

What do you hate?
Doing codemonkey work

Literally cutting corners to meet arbitrary management deadlines.

that sounds like hell

None of the happy devs browse this website.

Keep in mind that when you hear people screeching about how much their life sucks as a developer they have absolutely no reference point as it's the only real job they have ever had. Lots of people would love the job they are whining about.

Being around junior devs sucks
It's always a dick measuring contest with them

yeah, it's pretty good. work hours are flexible, can work at home some time if you want. no limit on vacation days (and it helps that the C-level people take plenty of vacation by example). i've been pretty lucky to work at 2 different startups with people i liked working with and seeing on a daily basis. this year is kind of a make-or-break year, but it's very exciting since we're trying to help out companies and their employees with an important need. i definitely wouldn't be as happy at a place making some jackwipe shit social media app. the worst has been slogging through making a CRUD admin application for a big client that still hasn't launched.

>life
it's ok
>comfy
100% depends on where you work
>happy
yea, good money. funds hobbies and problem solving is mentally rewarding

>like
problem solving, new projects can be fun
>hate
stupid product requirements
management can suck, i got lucky though

>How is the life of a software engineer?
its a job

No, but as far as wageslaving goes its more comfy than most jobs

>Are you happy?
No but the reasons for that go beyond my profession

>What do you like?
I make more money than I ever thought I would, i grow up kind of poor

>What do you hate?
It's generally not very interesting, but like I said, it's just a job

All of my financial and material needs are more than met, I have tons of autonomy, and I just transferred to a team where I can learn a lot, and really put my skills to the test.

Life's pretty grand compared to most other jobs, yeah.

The software engineers I work with all seem really happy. They basically spend all day solving puzzles of their own creation, which sounds super fun. I'm a hardware guy so my work is fascinating and I make good money, too.

I still feel empty inside and I feel lonely no matter how many people I surround myself with, but that's not the result of being in engineering.

anyone a software engineer in seattle? whats it like? working a QA internship at a startup this summer

First off get out of QA as fast as you can into an engineering role.
Second Seattle is only good in the summer you'll have a good time. The rest of the 9 months is shit up there.

seek help

>First off get out of QA as fast as you can into an engineering role.
This is a meme. QA has a stigma attached to it but for no reason. It pays fine and there are plenty of QA jobs out there. There are a ton of Indians in QA.

Also I'm writing a critical novel about software/qa with the working title being The Life of a Quality Assurance Professional. And I'm about to turn down a QA job partly because I'm tired of writing automation tests. So take my advice with some salt.

I'm happy

The QA Pajeets in our office seem to only shop for sneakers on Amazon, and watch cricket/Bollywood. I wonder how they are still around.

it is
but it pays ok

this
if you're only able to do monkey testing then no one will take you seriously but QA is much more than that.
I'm in test automation and I earn more than some of my dev coworkers. I also spend more time coding than most of my coworkers bcause less people bother me for no reason.
But it definitely gets repetitive and there's little room for creativity.

depends on your tolerance for working under pressure of deadline, workload, incompetence of other people (departmental process, management, sales fuck ups, incompetent co-workers who write spagetti and don't document their code adequately). if you can put up with alot of dumb shit and can work well under pressure, then sure sitting on your ass and typing away can be 'comfy'.

OP, if you want to understand the life of a software engineer, watch this:
> youtube.com/watch?v=iptUNUFdyas
It will clarify everything, I promise.